Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,364 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:59 AM

What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? (16874 Views)

Nigeria Exchange, Nyse, Crypto ,good and Best Investing Decisions 2023 / Is Covid-19 Loan Real? I Just Received This Message . Please Help Out / Top & Best Investing Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by ItrendNaija(m): 11:39am On Jul 20, 2022
As a young hustling Nigerian trying to forge a path for himself, I’ve made so many investing mistakes. Now, before I invest any single kobo I seek advice and I’ve gotten a lot over the years and I’m better for it.

I’m going to share three of the best advice I’ve ever gotten.

1. If you’re fortunate to have more than one income streams, live off one and once at the other.
If you don’t have more than one income stream, live within your means. Put away a piece of every paycheck, even if it’s 20% it will add up throughout the year and you can invest it. You don’t have to be stuck in t he rat race forever.

2. The best investment decision is usually “No”.
In this world of dog eat dog, many people will fill your ear with different investment opportunities all in the bid to take your money. It’s hard to make money for oneself let alone make money for another person. Opportunities that are worth investing are much rarer than you might imagine imagine. With this in mind, the best investing decision is usually “No”

3. The last advice is one of my favorites, Invest in what you know….and nothing more.
One of the easiest ways to make an avoidable mistake is getting involved in investments that are overly complex. Warren buffet once said, “never invest in a business you cannot understand”
If i cannot get a reasonable understanding of how a business makes money and the main drivers that impacts its Industry within 10 mins, I simply move on.

Those three advice have proven invaluable and to me. What are some of the best investing advice someone has every given you, let’s share, one or two person might find them helpful.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Flamethehussler: 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2022
Rule 1.Money Comes First,
Girls Last
Rule 2 . Only You fit help you
Rule 3. Kwechiri

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by VeryWickedMan: 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2022
Who you bring matters. The closer to you, the more lucrative.

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Skillsnigeria: 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2022
Hmmm
Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by BESTScientist1: 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2022
To invest in PETER OBI.

Doesn't it pain you to leave Nigeria or have friends and loved ones leave just because no matter how good you are, most of the time the process has to be negative/kurukere to excel here and every year, you're getting older.

Cursed on all leaders, past and present that have rubbed us of a good working country in Jesus name!

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by heyhey2016: 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2022
f
Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by FalseProphet1(m): 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2022
That ringing bells at Cross roads by 12am would drive away demons.

This I have seen.

5 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by CLASSYTOPPYCREA(f): 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2022
Nice one
Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Myfavourite: 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2022
Learn to control money

2 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by McOluOmo: 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2022
GreaterFuture:
Thinking...
None really

1 Like

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Threesha(f): 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2022
grin
Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by manuelkel(m): 2:42pm On Jul 20, 2022
cheesy
I'm here to learn.
Thank you cool

1 Like

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by jojothaiv(m): 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2022
If I had seen this thread and done my own research two years ago, I wouldn't have part away with my life savings all lost to a private individual who claimed to be a ForEx guru.

It's twice harder for someone like me to trust folks online once the word 'investment' is mentioned, na thieves full street no need for reputation...

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by citygarden(m): 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2022
1 Real estate
2 Real estate
3 Real estate
He gets why

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Bouncin(m): 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2022
Naija dont give room for investment. I de chop my money myself undecided

8 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by InvertedHammer: 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2022
/
Stacking up your money in the bank is a silly thing to do. Anyone with millions sitting in his/her bank account is an idiot.

/

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 20, 2022
AVOID GIRLS FROM THIS COUNTRY BY ALL MEANS THEY ARE DESTINY HUNTERS OUT TO HUNT YOUR STAR DOWN AND LEAD YOU TO UNTIMELY DEATH

Modified: if you follow the advice above even if it is ice cream and bottle water you are selling you'll become a landlord and car owner before you clock 40 even if you are in your early 30s.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by chukkystar(m): 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2022
Invest in Land, the Value always appreciates over time. Any Business relationship is based on Genuine intentions for each other (I learnt this from Forbs).

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by heyhey2016: 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2022
Kennyking1234:

- First read, read, read... read books on investments, finance, study the lives of rich people, study their portfolios, do your personal research and due diligence before investing.
-know what you want and how feasible it is, also time frame.
- Dedicate about 40% or 50% of the capital to safe investment/ indexes/ETFs such as the s&p 500, Russel 3000, DOW 30, Invesco QQQ etc ( I think s$p 500 is the best)
-have about 10 % in cash just in case.
- look into some dividend stocks. e.g APPLE, AT&T
- 20% to 30% can go to growth stocks such amazon, apple, alibaba etc
- invest in different sectors tech, medicine, mining, sports etc
- 5% to 10% to emerging markets ETFs/indexes such as china, brazil, Africa, even Nigeria etc
- 5% to 10% to speculate on volatile equities such as cryptos, $tesla shares, penny stocks.
- long term bonds might also be included.
- Long is usually the best strategy but always have an exit plan in case.

NB: NOT a financial advise just my personal opinion,
incase you need some investment books(pdf) dm
This above

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by GreaterFuture(m): 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2022
Thinking...
Tbvh, I've received None really
Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2022
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

Don't refuse to enjoy today because you're saving for tomorrow that's not guaranteed.

"Chop life" while you still can

Best Investment Advice

13 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Ekehwinz: 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2022
Don't help everyone asking for financial help else you will also ask for help someday.

Don't borrow out what you can't afford to lose.

24 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by operAhdam: 2:45pm On Jul 20, 2022
Buhari don spoil this country cry

4 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by jojothaiv(m): 2:47pm On Jul 20, 2022
chukkystar:
Invest in Land, the Value always appreciates over time. Any Business relationship is based on Genuine intentions for each other (I learnt this from Forbs)
Can you come again?
Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Kobicove(m): 2:50pm On Jul 20, 2022
The most important investment advice I would give anyone is - Do not ever take a loan to invest in a business that you will not manage yourself!

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by SavageResponse(m): 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
jojothaiv:
If I had seen this thread and done my own research two years ago, I wouldn't have part away with life savings all lost to a private individual who claimed to be a ForEx guru.

It's twice harder for someone like me to trust folks online once the word 'investment' is measured, na thieves full street no need for reputation...

Sorry for your loss, I feel your pain

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Fayos1(m): 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
Ekehwinz:
Don't help everyone asking for financial help else you will also ask for help someday
This!
Very true

3 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Siberia01(m): 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
undecided

To invest in agbado , cassava and yam plantations

Against the economic boom in 2023

14 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Seankhalifa: 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
Network urself... mine pi... do real estate... smoke wxxd... don't womanise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Kutunban: 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2022
“You make most of your money in a bear market, you just don’t realize it at the time.”

Shelby Cullom Davis

5 Likes

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by SavageResponse(m): 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2022
Siberia01:
undecided

To invest in agbado , cassava and yam plantations

Against the economic boom in 2023

Instead of you to go and take advantage of the recent pump in the price of cryptos you're here talking about agbado and cassava grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s The Best Investing Advice You’ve Ever Received? by Akwaibomdude(m): 2:57pm On Jul 20, 2022
For me any online investment is a no no

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

China Plans Investments In Cross River / TBC Exchange For BTC / Earn Cool Money On Dollarcell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.