Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? (14252 Views)

Free Guide On How To Start Popcorn Buzines, What You Need And How Profitable It / How Profitable Is Rental Business? / How Profitable Is Bakery Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by tushbobo(m): 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2011
Hi all. My fiancee is a graduate but she prefers going into catering business (starting with baking before expanding fully).

I don't mind the idea as I know its good to be self-sufficient instead of relying on an employer.

What I'd like to know is if the business is profitable as I'm thinking of setting up the business for her.

If u have an idea pls advise.  Thanks.
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 19, 2011
The catering business is a lucrative business. But you need to follow expert guide and advice to get started. You can read this article for insight: http://smallbusiness.com.ng/how-to-make-a-success-of-the-catering-business
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by tushbobo(m): 7:39am On Aug 19, 2011
Thanx man
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 19, 2011
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by NatGas(m): 8:34am On Aug 19, 2011
ALL business are profitable but with Good management practices and patience.I personally don't have experience on it, but I have seen peeps who stated from just road side or in house baking to big time suppliers of baking products and catering services.A friend of mine export her baking product to South Africa and has a very humble beginning.TRUE.
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by Demdem(m): 8:42am On Aug 19, 2011
@ Poster

Lucky you. In addition to what Chaircover said up there, i have always known right from my very young days that any business that involves Flour is highly profitable if its done right. The least you can get from your investment is double what you put in. This is a secret most bakers wont tell you.
By the way, my wife bakes commercially too.

1 Like

Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by tushbobo(m): 9:02am On Aug 19, 2011
Thanks all.ur comments r appreciated
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by snazzydawn(f): 10:17am On Aug 19, 2011
Like DemDem said, anything that involves flour is highly profitable. You really don't need millions to set up the business,that is,if you don't have the money. But even if you do have it,I'd advise you to start very small so as to understand your market and the rudiments of the business. Plus, she has to have the passion for the job,cos without it,she could get discouraged along the way. I've had instances where a whole batch of cakes in my large oven fell,and I was to make a really huge sum of money from them. In this business,you have to have a large heart else when you make a huge loss,you'll just faint.
I began with just 3000naira; I was frying chinchin to put in bottles and sell,from there,I made enough profit within 2months to buy my small microwave oven and cake mixer,in one month, someone gave me a huge contract,I bought a large oven which cud carry alot of cakes.Within one year,I've been able to turn 3000naira into almost millions.
She will also need to attend courses to keep abreast of what obtains in the catering world,and also learn small chops and decorations etc.
It's a highly lucrative business,encourage her.e loss,you'll just faint.
I began with just 3000naira; I was frying chinchin to put in bottles and sell,from there,I made enough profit within 2months to buy my small microwave oven and cake mixer,in one month, someone gave me a huge contract,I bought a large oven which cud carry alot of cakes.Within one year,I've been able to turn 3000naira into almost millions.
She will also need to attend courses to keep abreast of what obtains in the catering world,and also learn small chops and decorations etc.
It's a highly lucrative business,encourage her.

3 Likes

Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by rastaman20(m): 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2011
The key to sucess is if she have the love in cooking. In baking and catering Business, you must be ready to face competitions from different angles.

Costumers satisfaction should never be negelected.

Good luck, welcome on board
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by steve184: 3:51pm On Mar 07, 2012
It's a great business to be in. One tip that I'd give people is to aim for a portfolio of regular accounts rather than doing one-off jobs all the time. Get connected with a wedding planner or a big company that regularly hires caterers for business functions.

You can read a lot of free articles at www.StartaCateringCompany.com
Steve
Re: How Profitable Is Baking/Catering Business? by babytejiri(m): 7:45am On Oct 04, 2015
ueyebnf

(1) (Reply)

Legalwealth Handled This Well in the End / Dangote Plans London Trading Firm For Lagos Refinery / Where Can I Buy Varieties Of Fairly Used Household Appliances For A Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.