Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,864 members, 7,821,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury (32966 Views)

Court Okays Suit Seeking To Void Nomination Of All APC Candidates / Olufemi Aduwo Replies Adoke: I Initiated Tinubu’s Trial / Rivers Poll: Court Okays Suit Seeking To Disqualify Wike Over Birth Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Fira09(m): 2:32pm On Jul 21, 2022
2023: Court okays suit seeking Tinubu’s trial over alleged perjury

ABUJA – The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Thursday, fixed November 1 to commence hearing on a suit seeking to compel the Inspector General of Police, IGP, Usman Baba, to initiate a perjury case against the presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The court, in a ruling that was delivered by Justice Inyang Ekwo, granted permission to the Incorporated Trustees of Center for Reform and Public Advocacy, a Civil Society Organization, CSO, to apply for an order of mandamus, to compel the IGP to in line with Sections 31 and 32 of the Police Act and Section 3 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2015, prefer charges against the APC flag-bearer, following an allegation that he lied on oath.

Justice Ekwo held that an ex-parte application the group brought before the court on Thursday, was meritorious.

He, therefore, ordered service of all the relevant processes in the substantive suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1058/2022, on the Nigerian Police Force, NPF, and the IGP, who were cited as 1st and 2nd Respondents, respectively.

The group, had through its team of lawyers led by Mr. Ugo Nwofor, told the court that the suit was necessitated by the IGP’s refusal to take action on its petition against APC’s presidential candidate over an offence it said was established by report of an investigation that was conducted by the Lagos State House of Assembly in 1999.

The CSO, told the court that it earlier forwarded a petition to Police authorities, demanding further action on the said investigative report.

It maintained that by virtue of Sections 214 and 215, of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, as well as Section 4 of the Nigerian Police Act, 2020, the Police, have the statutory responsibility to “prevent, detect and investigate criminal allegations whether brought to their notice by individuals, person or persons, corporate bodies, institutions etc”.

It further claimed that by Section 31 of the Nigerian Police Act, the Respondents, are duty bound to investigate alleged crime brought to them and report their findings to the Attorney General of the Federation or of a state, as the case may be, for legal advice.

The Applicant added that by Section 32(1) of the Police Act, “a suspect or Defendant alleged or charged with committing offence established by an Act of the National Assembly or under any other laws shall be arrested, investigated and tried or dealt with according to the provisions of this Act, except otherwise provided under this Act”.

It contended that it has the legal competence to invoke the jurisdiction of the court to compel the Respondents to discharge their legal, constitutional and public dutiesy in line with the law.

More so, the Applicant, decried that its two letters dated June 16 and 27, which it forwardes to the Respondents, wherein it demanded the prosecution of the APC candidate over alleged perjury, have until now been ignored.

It said the Respondents have also “not notified the Applicant of any action taken on the said letter”.

The Applicant told the court that following a letter by late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi, in 1999, the Lagos State House of Assembly had set up an Ad-hoc Committee to investigate the alleged act of perjury wherein the Committee had in its report on page 13 stated that, “However, on question of providing false information on oath (sections 191 and 197) we are satisfied that the statement of the governor’s educational qualification which he has admitted were incorrect were not intended…”

In its petition to the IGP, the Applicant, claimed that APC’s presidential candidate lied on oath in the form CF 001 he submitted to INEC in aid of his qualification for the governorship election in Lagos State in 1999.

The Applicant further claimed that Tinubu “forged all the educational certificates he listed in his INEC Form CF 001 which he admitted he did not posses in annexure C”.

“For purpose of clarity, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the said INEC Form deposed on oath that he attended Government College, Ibadan and University of Chicago, USA when in actual fact he did not.

On the strength of the above, we demand that you initiate the criminal proceedings of Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu consequent upon the express findings of the Lagos State House of Assembly as captured above”, it further stated.

Consequently, it is praying the court for, “an order of mandamus, compelling the Respondents to comply with Sections 31 and 32 of the Police Act and Section 3 of the Criminal Justice Act, 2015 in respect of alleged crime laid out in complaint of the Applicant encapsulated in the letter of June 16, 2022, received by the Respondents on the same date and titled: Demand for Criminal Prosecution of Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu under Sections 191,192 and 463 of the Criminal Code Act, Law of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 Consequent upon the Findings of the Lagos State House of Assembly Ad-hoc Committee, 1999”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/07/2023-court-okays-suit-seeking-tinubus-trial-over-alleged-perjury/

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by SpecialAdviser(m): 2:38pm On Jul 21, 2022
Nigeria. Country where criminals are elected leaders and good people are brain washed to hail them.

299 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by NwaMamaIwota(f): 2:44pm On Jul 21, 2022
Hahahahahaha
Tinubu is a bastard drug dealing vagabond
a useless condemned criminal

241 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Vickym1(f): 2:45pm On Jul 21, 2022
Will this case see the light of day

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Racoon(m): 2:47pm On Jul 21, 2022
This desperate druggie, fraudster, bullion vans criminal and ethno-religious supremacist champion must be exposed for who he is.

"Tinubu daringly picked a Muslim running mate, a brazen attempt to foist a divisive Muslim-Muslim presidency on Nigeria.

All these actions are calculatedly aimed at fulfilling Tinubu’s “lifelong ambition” of becoming Nigeria’s president, but each of them is injurious to Nigeria’s unity, stability and progress.Thus, put starkly, Tinubu is ready to risk Nigeria’s interests to advance his own.

135 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by WibusJaga: 2:48pm On Jul 21, 2022

This evil bat na One Week, One Controversy...
1. Muslim-Muslim Ticket
2. Agbado & cassava
3. Real age controversy
4. Real name controversy
5. Poor Health status: poo-pooing on cloths, shaking hands, fall on table...
6. Emi lokan (na my turn)
7. Labor till death foul language
8. Rotten teeth
9. Drug lord
10. Hiring fake bishops
11. Bribing of delegates
12. Foisting of Disaster Buhari
13. Endsarrs involvement
14. "I don't believe in one Nigeria"
15. Siphoning of Lagos IGR
16. Bullion Van saga
17. Links with agberos & touts
18. Missing educational certificates
19. "Where are the cows?"
.... many more loading...

& now perjury
Marketing the evil bat is like marketing rotten apples for people to eat. cheesy

227 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Obojuju: 2:51pm On Jul 21, 2022
Nigeria is a place where some individuals are above the law. This matter is one of those no one in the ill-government will pay attention to.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by adioolayi(m): 2:52pm On Jul 21, 2022
Case that will be thrown out eventually based on what lawyers called "Technicalities"..

I just know Tinubu's defense team will work on the technicalities and leave the substantial matter...

Na then you go dey see something like "Time bound", "statutes of limitations", "Supreme Court decision on substantive matter in the past" and other legal jargons dey used to say grin cheesy grin cheesy

Hands up for the lawyers dem...I fear who no fear una ooo grin grin grin

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Maxymilliano(m): 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2022
Let the law take its course and the case decide on merits ...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by press9jatv: 3:00pm On Jul 21, 2022
Tinubu ti lule piii

4 Likes

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 21, 2022
What a wonder, even the idiot that instituted the case was an Igbo man, hehehehehe, even your lord and savior, Jonathan tried it and he was disgraced and humiliated

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Fkmodhi: 3:06pm On Jul 21, 2022
Nigerians mean this Tinubu.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Truthisunique2: 3:22pm On Jul 21, 2022
Nothing tangible would happen to the case like all big men cases

However it's a welcome development that continue to work Against Tinubu

By now tinubu would have fully be through with his propaganda of painting and repackaging himself in deceit

But Nigerians didn't give him breathing space to even drink water drop up, na from countering one goof to another he dey use his time for now

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by greenermodels: 3:29pm On Jul 21, 2022
APC is an evil wind that blows no one good.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Faiththatworks(m): 3:32pm On Jul 21, 2022
I always start by making my bias very clear,I will vote for Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu for president of Nigeria.
I'm not a lawyer but this kind of suit is rather frivolous as far as I'm concerned.
Asiwaju already has a B.sc from a university in America and it has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that he actually schooled in the Us,but I will allow the law to take its course.
I watch with trepidation the amount of noise and propaganda that has been unleashed on the person of Asiwaju,but for those of us who have made up our mind to vote him we will never be cowed or bullied,our resolve to vote Asiwaju is unshakable.
For those who believe that the Muslim-muslim ticket is a political Haram,we understand their fears but we show them the stastics to back his decision.
The Yoruba/Southern Muslim is a minority in Southern Nigeria,not in South West Nigeria,but in Southern Nigeria.
Our claim is irrefutable,by the time Gov-elect Adeleke of Osun state is sworn in,the whole of Southern Nigerian will not have a single Muslim Governor.
The Yoruba Muslim is exactly like his Christian counterpart in Northern Nigeria,very vocal but the facts on ground show they are minority.
It will be very fool hardy for anyone to think pairing 2 ethnic and religious minority will ever win an election in Nigeria.
I totally believe Asiwaju has the Intellectual acumen to run this country, I'm sure of this because of the massive improvement he initiated while he held away as Governor of Lagos.
God bless Nigeria.

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Honjoshy4u: 3:44pm On Jul 21, 2022
BAT is a questionable mammal.
Every sane Nigerian should say NO to muslim-muslim devilish ticket

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Dubaku543: 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2022
WibusJaga:

This bat na One Week, One Controversy...
1. Muslim-Muslim Ticket
2. Agbado & cassava
3. Real age controversy
4. Real name controversy
5. Health status: poo-pooing on cloths, shaking hands, fall on table...
6. Emi lokan
7. Labor till death foul language
8. Rotten teeth
9. Drug lord
10. Hiring fake bishops
11. Bribing of delegates
12. Foisting of Disaster Buhari
13. Endsarrs involvement
14. "I don't believe in one Nigeria"
15. & now perjury
Marketing bat is like marketing rotten apples for people to eat.
Hiring the drunk Portable who committed sacrilege on the Yoruba sanctuary by rubbing his shit hole on Awolowo's face! Then turn around to mock APC and Tinubu today after demarketing them publicly.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by iiifedimma(f): 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2022
Please let's support honourable Peter obi for the president's of federal Republic of Nigeria, we are tired of those thief's now,

Without a tribalism and nepotism any sane Nigerian know it's only someone like Peter obi that can now rescue Nigeria from total collapsing, but seriously some ethnic bigot people will just still prefer to hav their own man at the affairs of the country either he is capable or not than to go for what could have been the best solution to all nigerian's current problems, #ObiDatti2023 is certain

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by inoki247: 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2022
Another drama na so we drag Buhari waec certificate...

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Brendaniel: 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2022
It is the right thing to do, the case has never been tried in court before, don't quote me if you do not know...

The case has never been tried before - Tinubu was the wrongest candidate for APC

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Vulturereloaded: 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2022
Obidiently waiting for ESCOBAT to finally go to jail.

12 Likes

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by posty56: 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2022
things are not going well for tinubu camp lol,. moving forward Peter obi#2023

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Wahala90: 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2022
G
Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Chainex(m): 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2022
NwaMamaIwota:
Hahahahahaha
Tinubu is a bastard drug dealing vagabond
a useless condemned criminal

Only Perjury ? Onlyyy

1 Like

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by SIMONEKPA7: 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
smiley
Emi lokan is going down.

4 Likes

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by SunnyDash(m): 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
Wow
Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by tinsel: 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
Some have time to waste in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by dyera(m): 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
Good, it's about time they throw Tinubu in jail where he belongs. How can a drug lord be trying to become the president of Nigeria in this day and age.

8 Likes

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Arysexy(m): 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
They should disqualify the Fraudster. Look at the Fraud he pulled yesterday at Shettima unveiling. Not only Perjury, he has a lot of unanswered questions to clear the air.

Desperate old man

Perjury is a criminal offence

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Ngwamankillyou(m): 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
We all know this can't happen.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by EddyNumerouno(m): 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
This country sef…they had to go to court to force IG of police to do his job

7 Likes

Re: 2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury by Dubaku543: 3:54pm On Jul 21, 2022
Faiththatworks:
I always start by making my bias very clear,I will vote for Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu for president of Nigeria.
I'm not a lawyer but this kind of suit is rather frivolous as far as I'm concerned.
Asiwaju already has a B.sc from a university in America and it has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that he actually schooled in the Us,but I will allow the law to take its course.
I watch with trepadition the amount of noise that has been unleashed on the person of Asiwaju,but for those of us who have made up our mind to vote him we will never be cowed or bullied,our resolve to vote Asiwaju is unshakable.
For those who believe that the Muslim-muslim ticket is a political Haram,we understand their fears but we show them the stastics to back his decision.
The Yoruba Muslim is a minority in Southern Nigeria,not in South West Nigeria,but in Southern Nigeria.
Our claim is irrefutable,by the time Gov-elect Adeleke of Osun state is sworn in,the whole of Southern Nigerian will not have a single Muslim Governor.
The Yoruba Muslim is exactly like his Christian counterpart in Northern Nigeria,very vocal but the facts on ground show they are minority.
It will be very fool hardy for anyone to think pairing 2 ethnic and religious minority will ever win an election in Nigeria.
I totally believe Asiwaju has the Intellectual acumen to run this country, I'm sure of this because of the massive improvement he initiated while he held away as Governor of Lagos.
God bless Nigeria.
Total balderdash!!! Even frail aged demented Tinubu reasons better than you!!

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osagie Ize-Iyamu Wins Edo PDP Governorship Primaries / South-East Governors To Nnamdi Kanu 'Attack Us And Be Deported Back To Nigeria' / Jolly Nyame Jailed For 14 Years For Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.