Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,762 members, 7,820,652 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus (10174 Views)

WHO DG, Ghebreyesus Stresses Importance Of Abortion Access / Call For The Resignation Of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO DG, Over COVID-19 / Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus: Young People Are Not Immune From Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by References: 3:43pm On Jul 23, 2022
“A month ago, I convened the Emergency Committee under the International Health Regulations to assess whether the multi-country #monkeypox outbreak represented a public health emergency of international concern”

"At that meeting, while differing views were expressed, the committee resolved by consensus that the [#monkeypox] outbreak did not represent a public health emergency of international concern."

"At the time, 3040 cases of #monkeypox had been reported to WHO, from 47 countries.
Since then, the outbreak has continued to grow, and there are now more than 16 thousand reported cases from 75 countries and territories, and five deaths."

"In light of the evolving [#monkeypox] outbreak, I reconvened the committee on Thursday of this week to review the latest data and advise me accordingly. I thank the committee for its careful consideration of the evidence, and issues."

"On this occasion, the committee was unable to reach a consensus on whether the [#monkeypox] outbreak represents a public health emergency of intl concern.
The reasons the committee members gave for & against are laid out in the report we are publishing today."

"Under the International Health Regulations, I am required to consider five elements in deciding whether an outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern."

"First, the information provided by countries – which in this case shows that this [#monkeypox] virus has spread rapidly to many countries that have not seen it before."

"Second, the three criteria for declaring a public health emergency of international concern under the International Health Regulations, which have been met."

"Third, the advice of the Emergency Committee, which has not reached consensus."

"Fourth, scientific principles, evidence and other relevant information – which are currently insufficient and leave us with many unknowns."

"Fifth, the risk to human health, international spread and the potential for interference with international traffic."

"WHO’s assessment is that the risk of #monkeypox is moderate globally and in all regions, except in the European region where we assess the risk as high."

"There is also a clear risk of further international spread, although the risk of interference with international traffic remains low for the moment."

"So in short, we have an outbreak that has spread around the world rapidly, through new modes of transmission, about which we understand too little and which meets the criteria in the International Health Regulations."

"For all of these reasons, I have decided that the global #monkeypox outbreak represents a public health emergency of international concern."

"Accordingly, I have made a set of recommendations for four groups of countries:

First, those that have not yet reported a case of #monkeypox, or have not reported a case for more than 21 days."

"Second, those with recently imported cases of #monkeypox and that are experiencing human-to-human transmission. This includes recommendations to implement a coordinated response to stop transmission and protect vulnerable groups."

"To engage & protect affected communities;
To intensify surveillance & public health measures;
To strengthen clinical management & infection prevention & control in hospitals & clinics"
"To accelerate research into the use of vaccines, therapeutics & other tools;
And recommendations on intl travel."

"The third group of countries is those with transmission of #monkeypox from animals to humans."

"And the fourth is countries with manufacturing capacity for vaccines and therapeutics.
My full recommendations are laid out in my statement."

"I thank the Emergency Committee for its deliberations and advice. I know this has not been an easy or straightforward process, and that there are divergent views among the members."

"The International Health Regulations remains a vital tool for responding to the international spread of disease.
But this process demonstrates once again that this vital tool needs to be sharpened to make it more effective."

"I’m pleased that alongside the process of negotiating a new intl accord on pandemic preparedness & response, WHO’s Member States are also considering targeted amendments to the [IHR], incl. ways to improve the process for declaring a [PHEIC].

"Although I am declaring a public health emergency of international concern, for the moment this is an outbreak that is concentrated among men who have sex with men, especially those with multiple sexual partners."

"That means that this is an outbreak that can be stopped with the right strategies in the right groups."

"It’s therefore essential that all countries work closely with communities of men who have sex with men, to design & deliver effective information & services, and to adopt measures that protect both the health, human rights & dignity of affected communities."

"Stigma and discrimination can be as dangerous as any virus."

"In addition to our recommendations to countries, I am also calling on civil society organizations, including those with experience in working with people living with HIV, to work with us on fighting stigma and discrimination."

"But with the tools we have right now, we can stop transmission and bring this [#monkeypox] outbreak under control."

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1550847224963371010?t=o8C5l7FhI-8VuWCBmDphOQ&s=19
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by IntelChief: 3:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
Whatever,
make e no just reach lockdown matter again o

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by gift2xl: 3:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
I hope say una no go lock us for house again. Covid-19 spoil my plans oh!!

2 Likes

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Righteousness2(m): 4:02pm On Jul 23, 2022
Just like we Predicted WHO would do months ago.

Watch out! Very soon, it would be a Global World Health Organization pandemic treaty which will bring about a fresh push for vaccine passports, global surveillance, and more.

The Prophetic Stage Has Been Set…
things are not falling apart; they are falling into place.

Satan’s puppets are all stationed at their various economic and digital global check posts with their remote controls to operate during the tribulation which is just around the corner. 

The world could’nt be more ripe for the Antichrist and his vaccine minions to call the ‘shots’!

If you Value your soul, set your priorities right. Surrender completely to JESUS Christ so as to Escape what is Coming .
This Ship is Sinking Fast.
There is no more time! The Rapture is just a Breath away!

They have Ears and eyes to Hear and see, let them hear! Let them see.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by SouthSouth1914: 4:32pm On Jul 23, 2022
These guys have started again oO!

You came with coronavirus to slow most African top economies down, now this one again!! You people want to finish African nations patapata!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by lawrenzooo: 4:32pm On Jul 23, 2022
Hopefully it can be medically managed. The world doesn't need a replay of the year 2020..

6 Likes

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by McStoic(m): 4:32pm On Jul 23, 2022
Not for me not for my boys
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by AmGreat1234: 4:32pm On Jul 23, 2022
The world can never be free from emergency situations anymore until the fulfilment of the End Time promise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by tnerro1(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
This people don come again
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Ubanz: 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
Make una holam dear!
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Melodydoctor: 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
I reject it! I dodge it!

1 Like

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by wisestman(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
They wont stop at corona virus, money must be made

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Oxtertee(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
Wetin this people dey yarn again shocked, people are yet to fully recover from the covid global pandemic.

1 Like

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by kozmokaz(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
Una wan lock us down again?
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by christejames(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
Leave Nigeria out of una global talk abeg... undecided undecided

Buhari and Tinubu are bigger threat

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by dyera(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
It's a global health emergency for Oyibo people not for we Africans. Monkey pox is a non serious infection that we've been dealing with in Africa for a long time.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by iampeterben(m): 4:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
See they better arrest am fast oh! Sri Lanka till now never recover from Covid 19. If you add Monkeypox lockdown join their suffering as a nation they will not be any country like Sri Lanka.

1 Like

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by jkpbestseries: 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
If they like the should bring another one
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by luminouz(m): 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
Sighs

Men having sex with men transmission high?

Is it sexually transmitted now or what?

1 Like

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by WibusJaga: 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022

These people don come again. Abeg make una leave us, we have more serious issues bothering us here in Naija.
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by goldtube(m): 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Angelfrost(m): 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
Una go tire... Just continue!

Just because most nations have moved on from COVID, y'all had to stay relevant with another one!

Well, Na who chop belleful dey reason pandemic with una!
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by inoki247: 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
Covid no work again u sha dey format left and right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Seankhalifa: 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
If dem do lock down.... dollar go tur 2k
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by carizmal: 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2022
God have mercy.
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by IamAsiri: 4:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
grin grin grin
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by DoveXlover: 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2022
As long as it won't affect the upcoming world cup.
Nothing must affect the world cup.
We want to experience the best tournament on earth.
It happens once in 4 years, please nothing must happen to our world cup.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by Samskid310(m): 4:40pm On Jul 23, 2022
Mtcheew WHO just looking for all means to cash out after covid19 cast

1 Like

Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by wink2015(m): 4:41pm On Jul 23, 2022
Those eating MONKEY MEAT

Becareful.
Re: Monkeypox Is Now A Global Health Emergency - WHO DG, Tedros Ghebreyesus by meobizy(f): 4:41pm On Jul 23, 2022
It was always in West Africa, so I’m not afraid. It doesn’t seem fatal as no deaths have been reported thus far.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Has Second Highest Child And Maternal Mortality Rate / All I Need To Know On Cervical Cerclage In Nigeria Including How Much It Cost / Girl How Do I Get Rid Of My Stretch Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.