Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. (3682 Views)

BullionVan’sN5m : Ambode Rewards Police Officers With N250,000 Each / Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / Nigeria To Borrow $2Billion From World Bank - Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by EkoIle1: 4:50am On Aug 01, 2011

Rivers State to borrow N250 billion through Bond Issue

The River State Government plans to issue a 250 billion naira ($1.63 billion) bond in October to fund infrastructure projects in the region, the state governor's office said on Sunday. The funds raised will pay for projects around Nigeria's oil-hub Port Harcourt, capital city of one of the states in Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta, the press secretary to Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi said. These would include a city monorail, the first phase of a science
and technology university, an entertainment complex, a city ring road and a highway to the region's main airport.

Reuters said a similar issue two years ago by Lagos State, the major commercial hub in Africa's most populous nation, was well subscribed by investors.

"The Lagos State programme has been very successful and considering that Rivers (State) is second to Lagos in terms of revenue then they should have similar success with investors," said Kayode Akindele, partner at Lagos-based advisory firm JMH-TIA Capital.

Elombah.com reported last week that the Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi plans to buy a new Jet valued at $48 million (about N7.5 billion). Governor Amaechi said he needs a new aircraft because he doesn't feel safe in the old plane bought by his predescessor, Mr Peter Odilli.

Port Harcourt is the major city in the Niger Delta, the heartland of Africa's largest oil and gas industry, but it lacks sufficient infrastructure and widespread traffic gridlock is common. The greater Port Harcourt region has a population of around 2 million.

"These long-term capital projects that are capable of catalysing the industrialisation and transformation of Rivers State require massive financial investment that can only be obtained from the capital market," said Rivers State Commissioner for Finance Chamberlain Peterside.

"The proposed size of the first tranche of the bond will be about 100 billion naira with five years' tenure, whereas the total bond programme of 250 billion naira is envisaged over the next several months."

Corruption is a major problem in Nigeria and some well-funded infrastructure projects never get off the ground. Peterside said the finance ministry and debt management office would ensure transparent monitoring of the bond issue. ($1 = 153.000 Nigerian Nairas)

http://www.elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7593:rivers-state-to-borrow-n250-billion-through-bond-issue&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=67
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Rhino5dm: 4:56am On Aug 01, 2011
So where is the 1 billion per month savings by the state government? Well the guy they well well interms of physical transformation of the state. Change we can see!
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by EkoIle1: 5:15am On Aug 01, 2011
Unfortunately, these are not new projects, the University is an existing entity, the mono rail is under construction from previous allocated budget which now looks like it's been pocketed or mismanaged.

I wonder why the state is getting into the entertainment business with an entertainment center. Is the state government trying to compete with well managed and established Silverbird entertainment that's already functioning?

I'm not even sure if these are valid reasons for 1.6 billion dollar debt.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by dayokanu(m): 5:26am On Aug 01, 2011
Despite the monthly largesse from the 13% derivation?
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by antitpiah: 5:33am On Aug 01, 2011
^^^

Which is nothing compared to the tax revenue Fashola and BAT pocket every month
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by gidson12(m): 6:10am On Aug 01, 2011
eko ile you've been wanking off lately over  rivers state issues, why not stick to your dreamer fashola
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by EkoIle1: 6:13am On Aug 01, 2011
gidson12:

eko ile you've been wanking off lately on  rivers state issues, why not stick to your dreamer fashola

Why not respect the fact that it's a free world and this is a public forum?

Find something meaningful to contribute to the thread or just shut your mouth and find something better to do.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by ektbear: 6:24am On Aug 01, 2011
Good move, if the money will be spent well.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Rhino5dm: 6:33am On Aug 01, 2011
There is a cartel running the sate and making things difficult for the man. The likes of Abiye sekibo and other vultures have sworn to make the state unprogressive(check sveral dalies for this), but in ALL the guy is doing very good.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by udbyron1(m): 7:02am On Aug 01, 2011
this is not all about borrowing can it be in the hands of good economizers any way let them go ahead if they can successfuly secure the loan cuz what goes up must come down.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Ibime(m): 7:25am On Aug 01, 2011
What happened to the last N100 bln bond. Amaechi shouldn't try that rubbish abeg.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by phantom(m): 7:46am On Aug 01, 2011
Ibime has the state issued a bond before?
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 01, 2011
Why?
The fraudster of a governor stated that he saves N1billion every month.
He gets the highest allocation by way of 13% derivation.
Where is all the money gone?
ekt_bear:

Good move, if the money will be spent well.
If you know Rivers state,you should know that it's unlikely to happen.
If the money that game in naturally isn't enough,how will a bond be sufficient?
Rhino.5dm:

There is a cartel running the sate and making things difficult for the man. The likes of Abiye sekibo and other vultures have sworn to make the state unprogressive(check sveral dalies for this), but in ALL the guy is doing very good.

I hate insinuations like these.
He has all it takes to be in charge,unless he's telling me he isn't able to run the state effectively (which is evident judging from the state of roads in port harcourt),regardless of whatever cartel that exists.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Demdem(m): 8:43am On Aug 01, 2011
being a long-time resident of PH, i honestly dont think Amaechi needs this at-all.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by phantom(m): 9:04am On Aug 01, 2011
StarBoard:

Why?
The fraudster of a governor stated that he saves N1billion every month.
He gets the highest allocation by way of 13% derivation.
Where is all the money gone?If you know Rivers state,you should know that it's unlikely to happen.
If the money that game in naturally isn't enough,how will a bond be sufficient?I hate insinuations like these.
He has all it takes to be in charge,unless he's telling me he isn't able to run the state effectively (which is evident judging from the state of roads in port harcourt),regardless of whatever cartel that exists.

stop typing nonsense, if you have a personal problem with amaechi try and settle it with him, You do not live in PH and you are here crying more than the bereaved,
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Bensonite: 9:26am On Aug 01, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Rhino.
I think his problem is not sekibo or ACN. Nyesor Wike his campaign manager was one of the problems he had hence he tactically sent him out to be minister in GEJ cabinet. The opposition is helping him to be on his toes by asking questions the average rivers may not asked openly. They may be faulty in some but some are meaningful. Take the state procurement law for example, the state house of assembly made a law in 2009 that enables the Governor to spend 30% of the revenue budgeted/actual at the volition of the governor.
We were told the monorail is joint funded by government and PPP, so why is so much money been sink into it again when the state claims to be meeting its obligation.
Why build a new university in a new site when the existing one has all it takes but needed proper funding to be world class. The same mistake made in building a new stadium now they are getting worried how to maintain it. It will rot like the old ones because nothing new in policy has been put in place.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by phantom(m): 9:31am On Aug 01, 2011
By George Onah
Port Harcourt — Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State has said his administration plans to issue N250 billion bond at the capital market to fund major developmental projects.

A statement by spokesman for the Rivers State governor, Mr. David Iyofor, said the bond would be tied to funding of specific projects, such as the Greater Port Harcourt City, the Port Harcourt Monorail project, the new Rivers State University of Science and Technology Phase 1.

It would also fund Monte@Rivers (an entertainment complex), the Port Harcourt Ring Road(that would connect the old city and Greater Port Harcourt) and a new M-10 Highway (a beltway that would link the Port Harcourt International Airport to the Onne Sea port).

Iyofor explained that “such gigantic projects would need immediate and massive funds injection to complete them. Hence, Rivers State plans to approach the capital market in October, 2011 to raise these funds.

“Already the state House of Assembly has given the nod for the governor to go ahead and obtain the bond as such projects cannot be accomplished by sheer reliance on federal allocation and internally generated revenue that comes in trickles.”

Giving details, Commissioner for Finance, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside said:“These long term capital projects that are capable of catalyzing the industrialisation and transformation of Rivers State require massive financial investment that can only be obtained from the capital market.

“The proposed size of the first tranche of the bond will be about N100 billion with five years tenure, whereas the total bond programme of N250 billion is envisaged over the next several months.”

Peterside said.
According to him, “Whilst energy prices remain relatively high on the world market in an atmosphere of somewhat low to moderate interest rate, Rivers State would benefit from a bond issue at this stage through leveraging its high income potential and favourable credit rating, coupled with a debt portfolio that is currently low at less than 30 billion naira.”

“The economic indicators of the state, including annual Gross Domestic Product of about 30 trillion naira compared to its debt stock are positive attributes that Rivers State can ride on to raise additional funds to finance its long term development agenda and fast track social and economic growth.

for those who cant read and comprehend,
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by phantom(m): 9:38am On Aug 01, 2011
Bensonite:

Rhino.
I think his problem is not sekibo or ACN. Nyesor Wike his campaign manager was one of the problems he had hence he tactically sent him out to be minister in GEJ cabinet. The opposition is helping him to be on his toes by asking questions the average rivers may not asked openly. They may be faulty in some but some are meaningful. Take the state procurement law for example, the state house of assembly made a law in 2009 that enables the Governor to spend 30% of the revenue budgeted/actual at the volition of the governor.
We were told the monorail is joint funded by government and PPP, so why is so much money been sink into it again when the state claims to be meeting its obligation.
Why build a new university in a new site when the existing one has all it takes but needed proper funding to be world class. The same mistake made in building a new stadium now they are getting worried how to maintain it. It will rot like the old ones because nothing new in policy has been put in place.
1.the public procurement law is stupid if you ask me 2.the Private partner in this whole monorail thing apparently developed cold feet grin grin 3.That new university makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Abagworo(m): 9:54am On Aug 01, 2011
Gov Amaechi is gradually getting me pissed off.The mono rail is the worst thing to happen to his administration.It is a waste like Ajaokuta is to Nigeria.The best thing is to stop at this stage and focus on other useful ventures.Four years has passed and 65% of his projects have not achieved 50% completion.

Jack of all trade is a master of none.I like him very much and wish he could listen to the cry of his people.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by 1025: 10:07am On Aug 01, 2011
oh, what will N250 billion do for ur state? make it N1 trillion.
pdp has nothing to offer this country. even with all the revenues of this state and their large volume of security vault, they still want to borrow and make the state be in debt.
shame to pdp all over the world.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 01, 2011
phantom:

stop typing nonsense, if you have a personal problem with amaechi try and settle it with him, You do not live in PH and you are here crying more than the bereaved,
Muppet.
We know you are Amaechi's NL PRo,but try looking out of your behind for once.
How do you know I don't live in PH?
What personal problem?Are you silly?
This is a public forum,not your village square where you are allowed to show your idiocy and it will be accepted.
Why does he need a bond to develop Rivers?Answer that,you bigoted id.iot
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by harpo(m): 10:58am On Aug 01, 2011
This is nice and would help alleviate porverty
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 01, 2011
Look, I'm tired of all these he is weak arguments and party loyalists faulting opponent's candidates,

Beaf and gbawe, you too need to grow da hell up and I'm sure I'm saying this to people my dad probably drinks beer with!!!

Look, unless you kill Jonathan, he is still the one who is the closest to changing things and if things won't change, he is the closest to making things change,

Feedeefee or essien, it doesn't matter now; the elections are over and now isn't the time to have that "I told y'all so attitude",

We won't get no where if after elections, parties are waiting for their opposition to fail because they didn't win the election,

Seriously, I see too many buhari supporters coming out to say all sorts of nonsense hia!! Even Igbos that voted zombiatically for odechukwu are coming out to denounce him,

Look the nation in heading down, now if you can't help stop the down spiral, don't sit down entertain yourselves with the failure of our dreams!!!!

I don't care what party is in charge, Jonathan like many of you agreed is weak is in need of your support to strengthen his will right now!!! Don't wait for him to lose his will so you can laugh!!!

Organize, let him know you are in full support of him, show him the lack of change hurts, This guy hasn't seen a crying hungry baby in years so really, you know even though he had no shoes, he can now step on gold,

I want Odua nation but not that Nigeria must fail for such to happen,

Stop with the peniss measuring competitions you grown for nothing drones! The internet is not for you, you are suppose to be out there protesting, campaigning for what you think is right,

The internet is to spread information not to act, You can't change Nigeria by dissing odechukwu on here you retardeens,

If you are too scared to live and die for what's right then you deserve to die for the wrong reasons (Jmaine, my words not from movies lol) ,

How do you old folks in your 30s and 40s feel sitting here with 24yrs olds and below but still getting schooled on what it do undecided undecided

Seriously shame on you decays of humanity, shame on you,

Jonathan needs your honest and best support to know that Nigerians will die for him if he does the right thing, There are powerful cabals running this nation to the dark and if you let them absolve Jonathan, you won't say up nepa for a long time,

Kindly drop your slow unforgiving attitudes and go out there and show support for the president, let all the ACN senators, all the opposition members show their support for him, not kiss his Bottom but show him if he does the right thing, they are right behind him!!!!

We can't afford to be Republican, democrat crap right now in Nigeria,

Let them get involved too. If Jonathan fails, Nigeria is over but the real failures are those who out of hatred watch it fail,

Agbayas beaf, seanet, eko ile, aloy emeka, jason123, dayokonu, ezeuche, dede1, aigbofa, alj harem, Ileke Idi, kobojunkie, chyz, south east, gbawe, antitipiah, ekt bear, bluetooth, haka nai, big boi, Jarus, Negro_ntn.

Shame on all the above people shame!!! 30s, 40s all coming online to vent and hate even in a society that has freedom of speech SHAAAAAMEEEEE 30s 40 somethings coming online to cry that their age mates are making life difficult for them SHAAAME, They are your age mates, confront them already you silly pansies !!!!!!

You can't vent your angers by organizing massive protests but you can come online and cry and cry cry!!!

I came here and realized I'm dealing with relics of years and years of failures, You guys almost changed my view on tribes and almost made me a stoopid tirbal nutjob like you losers but good thing for me, I have Igbo friend's Hausa friends and their lives aren't like you relics of failures want it to be,

Tpia/musiwa are probably the only respectable ones among you all, you failed relics of failures, You and yours are the reason Nigeria is as it is, My generation will send you foools to nursing homes and abandon y'all there, Failures bunch of losers coming online to cry their mates are beating them hard!!! GTFOH
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by phantom(m): 11:26am On Aug 01, 2011
StarBoard:

Muppet.
We know you are Amaechi's NL PRo,but try looking out of your behind for once.
How do you know I don't live in PH?
What personal problem?Are you silly?
This is a public forum,not your village square where you are allowed to show your idiocy and it will be accepted.
Why does he need a bond to develop Rivers?Answer that,you bigoted id.iot
grin grin grin grin grin, read the article again and COMPREHEND and quit acting like a child,
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Spyker: 11:47am On Aug 01, 2011
Chei, when will this deceit of Rivers people and Nigerians end.
Rivers State is heavily indebted from the previous loans borrowed from Zenith Bank.
The Bank is tired of loaning Amaechi hence he has resorted to the capital market thereby mortgaging the future of Rivers State.

Amaechi has neither created jobs but rather increased poverty in the state.
Monorail is a failed project, it does't make sense.
We only have Ikwerre and Aba roads as usable and manageable roads in Rivers State, others are in the state of disrepair or poorly constructed. A journey of 15mins in Rivers State now take about 2hrs 30mins.

Thank God the Schools have closed for holidays, at least the vehicular traffic will reduce.

Dumb Governor.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Gbenge77(m): 11:52am On Aug 01, 2011
We shall have to wait and see if he is able to put the bond to judicious use.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by chardino(m): 12:05pm On Aug 01, 2011
I don't just understand this our Governor, WERE IS THE 1 BILLION THAT HIS SAVING EVERY MONTH? Ebi rainy day never still rich? I don't believe Rivers State people are really in need of that thing called monorail? Why is he imposing projects on us, there are better things to be done as to improve the livelihood of Rivers State people. All what he has been doing since 4 year now is to construct and reconstruct road. Go to remote villages in the state and see the kind of life that are there. Now he want to Borrow money again for projects in the state, he also want to buy him self an aircraft. no Wahala,    but make him remainber say EFCC dey watch,
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by feelamong(m): 12:09pm On Aug 01, 2011
Why is he coming to the capital market to raise funds?

Afterall the state government recently acquired a JET for some good sum!!!

The Jet money should have been used to finance the mono rail project…, Am sure there is more than meets the eye in this Bond issuance…, Which companies are behind this and what is the commission due to them and their govt official co conspirators
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by gamesb: 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2011
wat of the 1billion naira that we were told is been save by the state govt. every month? its means all this while they have been lying to us.
Re: Rivers State To Borrow N250 Billion Through Bond Issue. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2011
phantom:

grin grin grin grin grin, read the article again and COMPREHEND and quit acting like a child,
Quit acting like a re-tard and for once,think with your brain instead of your scrotal sac.
Why are you shifting the emphasis of this debate?
With all the money available to Rivers state,do you think it is a wise move to get a bond to embark on those projects?
Amaechi's but.t-kisser,was it wise to waste money on a sports festival and purchase of a jet when your 419 governor knew he had those projects to be done?
Apparently,government propaganda is your thing.You are either gullible to government statements or just plain stu.pid.
Kindly justify why a bond has to be taken instead of resorting to clowning on a public forum.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of Cramjones - $$$exclusive$$$ / Jonathan’s Foreign Trips Gulp N3.3bn …travelled 20 Times In 2012 / IPOB Members Storm Court In White Garments Ahead Of Nnamdi Kanu's Araignmnt.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.