Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,572 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m (6492 Views)

FG Formally Hands Over NITEL/MTEL To NATCOM / FG Hands Over NITEL To NATCOM Consortium / Power: FG Seeks $450m From Islamic Development Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by mikuz(m): 2:05pm On Aug 01, 2011
Dr. Mike Adenuga
Business magnate Dr. Mike Adenuga has made overtures to the federal government to acquire the state-owned telecommunications company,NITEL and its mobile subsidiary, MTel, for $450 million under the willing buyer-willing seller basis to be undertaken by the Bureau of Public Enterprises, in a last ditch effort to sell the troubled telecom firm.
Source : http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/adenuga-moves-to-take-over-nitel-for-450m/96018/
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 01, 2011
This guy just bought the biggest gas reserve in nigeria and here he is to buy this, its obvious our political class are out to ruin nigeria. FRESH AIR
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by djustice: 8:25pm On Aug 01, 2011
blink182:

This guy just bought the biggest gas reserve in nigeria and here he is to buy this, its obvious our political class are out to ruin nigeria. FRESH AIR

This is pure envy and hatorade. If you have your money, make your own bid higher than his, and see whether they will sell to you or not.

If you can't bid, just shut the hell up and let a patriotic Nigerian save a national treasure. Bigot!!
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by edogirl2: 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
djustice:

This is pure envy and hatorade. If you have your money, make your own bid higher than his, and see whether they will sell to you or not.

If you can't bid, just shut the hell up and let a patriotic Nigerian save a national treasure. Bigot!!

grin grin grin
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by playmode(m): 8:49pm On Aug 01, 2011
The is already a bullet with his name on it.It is just a matter of time.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by edogirl2: 8:54pm On Aug 01, 2011
Care to tell us why?
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by EvilBrain1(m): 11:43pm On Aug 01, 2011
They should give it to him for free if he agrees to take on all the debt. Nitel has been completely run down by successive useless governments. There is hardly anything of value left.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Kobojunkie: 11:55pm On Aug 01, 2011
blink182:

DING DING DING!!!! Imagine that  . . . Nitel for a mere $450? Na steal?? I hope this is not another monopoly!
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

DING DING DING!!!! Imagine that  . . . Nitel for a mere $450? Na steal?? I hope this is not another monopoly!

I think he will take over the debts too won't he? $450m not $450 lol, That's a lot though considering nitel is already dead to Nigerians,

My problem remains the fact that price will be closely controlled and that is bad, The success of Nitel could be a good thing for Nigerians. I support private sectors but I also support public options to keep the balance or what do you think?
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Kobojunkie: 1:10am On Aug 02, 2011
NITEL dead?? Come on!!! If a business is not being managed well, ofcourse it will appear dead. That don't mean it is worthless. NITEL is HUGE MONEY BUSINESS. if Even one country gets single control, and manage it well, we are talking exponential growth, capable.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 1:21am On Aug 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

NITEL dead?? Come on!!! If a business is not being managed well, ofcourse it will appear dead. That don't mean it is worthless. NITEL is HUGE MONEY BUSINESS. if Even one country gets single control, and manage it well, we are talking exponential growth, capable.

So it all boils down to mismanagement, Not like I support the selling of Nitel because if well maintained will be the people's bargaining power against other telecom giants! But at the same time, I haven't heard the phone ring since I've been going to back to Nigeria, I think out of mismanagement, it has become obsolete, Nitel should have expanded to internet provision etc, but it failed at that too, I don't know about mtel though!!
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Kobojunkie: 1:25am On Aug 02, 2011
Honestly, I think these idiots did all this intentionally -- I think they intentionally useless most of what we have so they could sell it for a buck or two to one of theirs, and in turn own a piece of the result that way.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by ektbear: 1:33am On Aug 02, 2011
He will make a killing off of this if he wins the bid. Faster/cheaper internet access I think will be an end result of this too, I hope? Anyway, good for Nigeria (and Mike's pocket) if he can revitalize NITEL.

Nigerian government shouldn't sell it off too cheaply though. . . NITEL has Ma Bell-like profitability potential (well, at least on a Nigerian scale) if it is managed properly.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 1:44am On Aug 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

He will make a killing off of this if he wins the bid. Faster/cheaper internet access I think will be an end result of this too, I hope? Anyway, good for Nigeria (and Mike's pocket) if he can revitalize NITEL.

Nigerian government shouldn't sell it off too cheaply though. . . NITEL has Ma Bell-like profitability potential (well, at least on a Nigerian scale) if it is managed properly.

With the GLO1 fiber optic cable and NITEL infrastructure, he might be able to resurrect the company and make it profitable.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by koruji(m): 2:07am On Aug 02, 2011
NITEL's problem was mismanagement - 15 years ago. Right now it is just dead.

If Adenuga buys it that would only give him rights to the frequency licences owned by NITEL/Mtel, perhaps rundown buildings and a couple of other durable assets. But if NITEL were an airline all its planes would be in the junkyard - and that is talking 15 years ago.

He is probably willing to take the risk because he has a big enough tele-company on ground, in Nigeria, that can support its revival - he must be careful though.

0lumide:

So it all boils down to mismanagement,  Not like I support the selling of Nitel because if well maintained will be the people's bargaining power against other telecom giants! But at the same time, I haven't heard the phone ring since I've been going to back to Nigeria,   I think out of mismanagement, it has become obsolete,  Nitel should have expanded to internet provision etc,  but it failed at that too,  I don't know about mtel though!!
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 02, 2011
koruji:

NITEL's problem was mismanagement - 15 years ago. Right now it is just dead.

If Adenuga buys it that would only give him rights to the frequency licences owned by NITEL/Mtel, perhaps rundown buildings and a couple of other durable assets. But if NITEL were an airline all its planes would be in the junkyard - and that is talking 15 years ago.

He is probably willing to take the risk because he has a big enough tele-company on ground, in Nigeria, that can support its revival - he must be careful though.

You are right. If not for the licences, I doubt if he would bother with NITEL.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by onila(f): 2:16am On Aug 02, 2011
he shld buy NEPA too___¸

most important
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by obowunmi(m): 2:17am On Aug 02, 2011
sad day for Nigeria --- another monopolist.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by aloyemeka2: 2:20am On Aug 02, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Which growth? . What exactly is attractive in NITEL?. It is a dead company for Gods sake and I do believe he is only buying their fixed assets which will surely enrich his estate business.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by kayc33(m): 2:23am On Aug 02, 2011
onila:

[b]he shld buy NEPA too[/b]___¸

most important

grin good point
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by ektbear: 2:24am On Aug 02, 2011
@koruji: What of the landlines? And doesn't NITEL have a monopoly on installed new landlines for data/voice?

It is that monopoly which I'd be keen on acquiring if I had the money to buy NITEL.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by koruji(m): 2:42am On Aug 02, 2011
Yes, that would be one of the benefits. I don't know much about the lifespan of land-lines but from what I use to know about NITEL connections the land-lines are probably also junk at this point, except in a few critical cities, may be. He might have to tear it all out - in which case all he would really be getting is the nationwide right of way.

I seem to remember that Adenuga already has a licence to operate a landline phone company along with his mobile licence (but I could be wrong). The extensive infrastructure requirement is probably a major impediment to its take off, so that taking over NITEL for the land-line right of way would make even more sense for him.

ekt_bear:

@koruji: What of the landlines? And doesn't NITEL have a monopoly on installed new landlines for data/voice?

It is that monopoly which I'd be keen on acquiring if I had the money to buy NITEL.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Princek12(m): 3:13am On Aug 02, 2011
Nitel's fiber optic cable could be used to transmit broadband internet and cable TV to consumers, which will be faster and reliable than satellite.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by koruji(m): 3:38am On Aug 02, 2011
So you are saying that NITEL does have fiber optic cable in place? I didn't know that?

Princek12:

Nitel's fiber optic cable could be used to transmit broadband internet and cable TV to consumers, which will be faster and reliable than satellite.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by dayokanu(m): 4:01am On Aug 02, 2011
Question: Do Telecomms companies still pay Interconnectivity to Nitel?
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Meristem: 5:06am On Aug 02, 2011
due to road construction, their fibre optic links are also balkanized and for the most part, useless
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 02, 2011
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by KoolMaster: 6:30am On Aug 02, 2011
It is a clear indication that the Nigeria Govt. lacks the basic business skill and hence no govt. business and venture has ever succeed. What we need is what the government is doing sell off all the business, however have a good price control and regulatory mechanism to be in place to checkmate exploitation (ie if the government cares for it's citizen).
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Sike(m): 6:45am On Aug 02, 2011
Hmmm. . Adenuga! Adenuga!! Adenuga!!! I reserve my comment.
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by PointB: 6:46am On Aug 02, 2011
obowunmi:

sad day for Nigeria --- another monopolist.

True!

onila:

he shld buy NEPA too___¸

most important
Yes, he should look  into buying into the power sector. Better investment, bigger returns!
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 02, 2011
Hmm.many might not be happy but God may use him to raise the dead (Nitel). If he revives it, more jobs for people. I dont want to think monopoly right now. I hope it doesn't get to that
Re: Adenuga Moves To Take Over Nitel For $450m by babaowo: 7:08am On Aug 02, 2011
very soon it will clear to everyone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Current Result Of 2015 Presidential E-poll By Sahara Reporter (PHOTO) / Gen TY Buratai Climbs Hills With His Army And Police For New Year (photos) / Osinbajo Presides Over Virtual NEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.