Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,719 members, 7,813,367 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Nigerian Illegally Arrested In The Us Again! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Illegally Arrested In The Us Again! (3834 Views)

Nigerian Drug Dealer Arrested In Thailand After A Hot Chase By The Police(pics) / Nigerian Woman Arrested In US For Striping Unclad In Front Of Police (Photos) / Nigerian Man Arrested In Iceland For Infecting Women With HIV (pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Illegally Arrested In The Us Again! by aloyemeka2: 11:03pm On Aug 02, 2011
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
[size=14pt]"How I was arrested unlawfully in the US for shoplifting" - Lagos club owner, Ahmed Uwhubetine[/size]

Popular Lagos socialite and Night Club owner, Ahmed Uwhubetine was arrested in the US a few weeks ago for shoplifting and theft at a store in Atlanta, Georgia. His mug shot was taken and posted on the internet – jailbase.com, an informational site for friends, family and victims of arrested persons charged for theft and shoplifting, where he was booked by Fulton County Sheriff’s office on July 16, 2011. Ahmed is an upwardly mobile, rich, influential and well connected dude, so how did he find himself in this mess? He tells City People Magazine what exactly happened on that day.
I still can’t believe that I went through that humiliation. I was unlawfully arrested. Do you know how much was alleged to have been stolen? $315 worth of goods. My ordeal started 2 Fridays back at 7.45pm.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-SturxQ9t15o/TjgZtfI_3wI/AAAAAAAAFvc/TEbO73VRdkA/s1600/AHMED+UWHU.jpg[/img]
Ahmed's mugshot

My friend and I entered a store to buy a big travel bag, you may not know him but Jean Charles Baldini is one wealthy guy, a French man who is my friend. We went into the Ross Departmental Store located on Piedmont Road in Atlanta. That was July 15, 2011. After purchasing the bag, we decided to buy other items. Then my phone rang and I began to chat with the caller. We also bought items like bed sheets and quilts. Then the store manager came to meet us to ask us what we were up to so he can get us a trolley. We said no problem and continued. After a while we saw about 10 police officers enter the shop with another 20 taking position outside as if it was a commando of style operation. They approached us, asked us to raise our hands and identify ourselves which we did. I told them I was a Nigerian guy, Jean a French guy. They searched us and found our credit cards, mine was a MasterCard, they saw Jean’s AMEX Gold cards, they were then confused. Next thing they brought out handcuffs and handcuffed us and led us outside into their cars. They didn’t let us make phone calls. They took us to the police station where Jean called the French Consulate and I called a few of my friends. Next, they threw us into Fulton County Jail, took mug shots and blood samples to see if we were high on drugs. We were arrested at about 8pm on Friday and by Saturday morning; they had a problem on their hands. Since we were arrested, they will have to arraign us before a court to even be able to get us released. So how will they get a judge to sit on a Saturday morning? The earliest time would Monday morning. I don’t know how they did, they quickly got a judge to sit on Saturday morning who hurriedly heard the case and it was dismissed. Curiously also, the store didn’t press charges. No charges were pressed, no bond demanded, no trial. I guess it was when the lady who interrogated us ran her checks that she saw she was dealing with reputable people with no previous record of conviction. That was what happened. We have sued the store for unlawful arrest and having damaged our reputation, taking our mug shot and posting it on the internet.
Already Ahmed and Jean have briefed the law offices of Belli, Weil, Grozbean & Davis., LLP in Atlanta to take up the case.
Re: Nigerian Illegally Arrested In The Us Again! by naijaking1: 12:24am On Aug 03, 2011
@poster
how did this cr, ap make news to you
A rich Nigerian socialite and his French boyfriend went shopping at the lowwwly discounted Ross store where damaged name brand goods are sold at step discount, they got arrested for some reason, because the store people somehow didn't realise that they were millionaires?
What would a decent millionaire in Atlanta be shopping for at ROSS in the first place

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Illegally Arrested In The Us Again! by aloyemeka2: 12:47am On Aug 03, 2011
naijaking1:

@poster
how did this cr, ap make news to you
A rich Nigerian socialite and his French boyfriend went shopping at the lowwwly discounted Ross store where damaged name brand goods are sold at step discount, they got arrested for some reason, because the store people somehow didn't realise that they were millionaires?
What would a decent millionaire in Atlanta be shopping for at ROSS in the first place

Who cares whether he is shopping at Ross or Yaba bend-down as long as it is his money. The fact remains that he was wrongly accused of shoplifting and arrested unjustly. May be he became rich through picking pennies and living miserly unlike some of your Nigerian brothers who steal theirs from oyibo or Nigerian govt. Or do you mean that he has no right to shop at Ross because he is rich?.
Re: Nigerian Illegally Arrested In The Us Again! by r231(m): 12:53am On Aug 03, 2011
undecided undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Man Tied To A Tree, Forced To Watch 15 Armed Bandit Gang-raped Daughters (photo) / 11 Months Old Baby Raped / Ohaozara Coordinator In Ebonyi State Strips Girl Unclad, Filmed And Assaulted...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.