Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! (228 Views)

Monguno: Buhari Plans To Overhaul Security Architecture / IGP Obeys Osinbajo's Directive, Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS Nationwide / Osinbajo Orders Complete Overhaul Of SARS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by Jman06(m): 8:00pm On Aug 04, 2022
In order to reposition our healthcare system for optimum productivity, there is need for urgent overhaul of boards of our health institutions. We need to borrow a leaf from countries with thriving healthcare system like the UK, US, India etc.

The current system places so much powers on the physician, and like the saying goes-- absolute power corrupts absolutely! I'm surprised that some Nigerians, especially our political leaders have not seen (or pretend not to see) why our healthcare system has continually performed abysmally. It is not only about poor funding like the beneficiaries of the current system would want us to believe. Rather it is about enthroning a functional and unbiased leadership structure. Otherwise, we'll continue to vote in money into these healthcare institutions without getting the desired results in terms of quality healthcare delivery.

To further buttress my point, the governing boards of our health institutions need to accommodate all the professional groups in the healthcare industry vis-à-vis Physicians, Pharmacists, Nurses, Radiographers, Lab Scientists and even those from the management sciences and law who have taken advanced courses in healthcare administration.

Now, instead of the current system whereby a physician is appointed CMD, let us have a HOSPITAL PRESIDENT who must not be a physician, but someone from Law or Management sciences with additional postgraduate qualification in hospital administration. Then we can have directorates of medical services, pharmaceutical services, laboratory services, nursing services to be supervised by a physician, a Pharmacist,a Medical lab scientists, a Nurse etc respectively.

The above overhaul will usher in a new era of increased productivity, industrial harmony and absence of rancor among the various practitioners of healthcare in our country. The leadership structure will no longer shield the ineptitude of one professional group which has been the order of the day in our hospitals. Consultants would now have no choice than come to work and stop diverting patients to their private clinics for financial gains! Everybody will now be on their toes to give their best towards ensuring that patients get the best possible care they deserve.

I understand that a bill is on the floor of the national assembly to effect such changes in our healthcare industry. However, I also know the extent to which the forces of darkness currently benefiting from the current flawed system can go to truncate the noble intentions of that bill. I therefore appeal to all progressive minded individuals among our lawmakers, and indeed, all lovers of good health, to give full support to that bill until it becomes a law. That bill when passed and assented to will benefit not only you but your unborn generations.

This piece was written out of my burning desire to see our healthcare system turn around for the benefit of every Nigerian. I hope it gets to the desired audience.

Moderator, please do the needful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by Jman06(m): 8:08pm On Aug 04, 2022
Cc:

Mynd44

OAM4J
Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by ThrownBack: 8:09pm On Aug 04, 2022
Peter Obi will do that easily.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by schneider87(m): 8:52pm On Aug 04, 2022
Nice idea.
It would be very good if this is made a reality.
In my opinion, the headship and administration of hospitals should be taken away from the doctors and placed in the hands of professional hospital administrators.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by Jman06(m): 8:59pm On Aug 04, 2022
Our healthcare system is seriously nosediving. If y'all are not seeing the danger that portends, then it's unfortunate.

We cannot all fold our arms and watch our healthcare system collapse totally.

Positive changes are effected when people understand the dangers of not changing for good! COVID19 should haven been our eye opener, but our people seldom being proactive but wait until the danger hits them in the face.

Another case in point is the ASUU strike. We all sit back and watch while our universities get destroyed! Some feel it is not their business because in their parochial minds, they're not affected. They forget that destroying our public universities would have a ripple effect that will eventually affect everybody, both the high and mighty!

Watch news from the Western world or even the Arab nations. You'll see how the masses in those climes effect positive changes through mass actions, thereby getting their leaders on their toes.
Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by Jman06(m): 9:12pm On Aug 04, 2022
schneider87:
Nice idea.
It would be very good if this is made a reality.
In my opinion, the headship and administration of hospitals should be taken away from the doctors and placed in the hands of professional hospital administrators.
Exactly my point!
There's too much cover ups of erring physicians and suppression of professional growth of other healthcare professionals by the current leadership of our hospitals.

Patients are the ones suffering the consequences of such poor system as they're made to spend more money than they should. Some have also died avoidable deaths from such maladministration! It's too bad!!!!
Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by zanshi: 10:09pm On Aug 04, 2022
Nigeria cannot operate with this out of pocket healthcare sys we practise. And before you say funding, the whole sys need to be overhauled to give way to innovation and professionalism. It is not enough to say Nigerian doctors are hot cakes here where they lack professionalism and get away with so many gaffes and the condescending way they speak to patients. They sys needs to be self sustaining and we need socialized medicine.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

US Carried Out Illegal Biological Weapons Research In Ukraine: Analyst / BAT & The Thirty Bishops Of Baal / Why It Is Near Impossible To Impeach Peter Obi Even With Parliamentary Minority

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.