Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies (2767 Views)

Former Kebbi State House Of Assembly Speaker Dies In Autocrash(pic) / Jigawa Deputy Speaker Dies In Car Accident / Ume Ezeoke Sept 8 1935- August 2 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies by Babasessy(m): 9:10am On Aug 03, 2011
Ume-Ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, dies

Tofa, Dan Musa, Eneukwu, others pay tribute

Second Republic Speaker of House of Representatives and immediate past National Chairman of the All Nigerian Peoples Party (ANPP), Chief Edwin Ume-Ezeoke, is dead. Aged 76, the Anambra-born politician died in India yesterday where he was taken to for treatment for an undisclosed ailment, according to a source close to the family.

He became the Speaker in 1979 following an accord between the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN) which controlled the Federal Government and his party, the Nigeria Peoples Party (NPP). As news of his death spread across the country, political associates, family friends and well-wishers have continued to pay tribute to the departed political icon. Former chairman of the ANPP Elders’ Committee when Chief Ume-Ezeoke was the national chairman, Alhaji Bashir Tofa, described the late politician as an astute and wise leader. “He was the first Speaker of the House of Representatives under the NPN/ NPP accord in the Second Republic.

I was then the National Financial Secretary of the NPN. But I got to know him better when I became the National Republican Convention (NRC) presidential candidate, and he served well as a member of the Finance Committee in the South-East. We became even closer when he defected to ANPP and later became its national chairman.” Tofa described Ume- Ezeoke as “a faithful Christian who served his country well” and prayed that God have mercy upon his soul as well as grant the family the fortitude to bear the enormous loss.

Another political associate of the ex-Speaker, Alhaji Tanko Yakassai, described his death as a great loss to the country. He recalled how they met in 1979 when the deceased was elected Speaker and he (Yakasai) was Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Liaison. “We worked together for four years as a result of which we became close friends and associates. He was a dedicated Nigerian, highly detribalised and committed patriot who discharged his responsibility as Speaker to the admiration of his colleagues and the five registered political parties at that time. “We maintained cordial relationship ever since; and because of that commitment and humility, we were close friends until his death.

We also pray that Allah may grant him eternal rest and the family and the nation the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.” Former Kaduna State governor, Alhaji Lawal Kaita and former Deputy Senate President, Alhaji Abubakar Mamman Dan Musa also extol the virtues of the late ANPP chieftain, describing him as a straight forward, reliable and honest politician. Meanwhile, residents of Amichi in Nnewi South of Anambra State yesterday shunned overtures to them for comment on the state of health of the deceased. The Anambra State Chairman of ANPP, Chief Emeka Orjiako, told National Mirror that he was not aware of the state of health of the party’s former national chairman.

Similarly, the immediate past State Chairman of ANPP, Prince Chuba Ikeagwu, stated that he did not know that Chief Ume- Ezeoke had been sick, adding that he had not been in contact with him since he (Ikeagwu) joined Congress for Progressive Change (CPC). But ANPP National Publicity Secretary, Emma Eneukwu, confirmed the death of the elder statesman. Eneukwu said: “It is very shocking to me. He was close to me and I have always monitored his health. I was shocked to hear that he is dead. “We are going to miss his radicalism. When he agrees with you on something he keeps it. He doesn’t renege when he has agreement with you.”

Also reacting, former President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr. Dozie Ikedife, described Ume- Ezeoke‘s death as the loss of a great man who has swam in the political waters of Nigeria. “He saw the ups and downs. He is a legal luminary, an illustrious son of Amichi, and a prince in outlook. He will be missed by associates in old ANPP, by his colleagues in Federal House in Second Republic where he was Speaker, by his legal colleagues and by other friends and associates.

“I can boastfully say I am his close associate. He is a compromise man. He will reach out to people on the other side before they compromise in the overall interest of Nigeria. He could easily be misunderstood for this effort.”. The Igbo leader said the news of his death was a big surprise to him because he was not aware of his sickness.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/17736.html
Re: Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies by Babasessy(m): 9:11am On Aug 03, 2011
Picture

Re: Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies by Donmeca(m): 12:05pm On Aug 03, 2011
True, so true! Goodnight Ume-Ezeoke. . .India, USA, Saudi and Europe CAN give medications but NOT life. . .may our leaders learn this and equip our health sector. We can have world class hospitals to keep our world class doctors back home and treat our world class citizens.

A man of 76 years shud not av been exposed on the long journey to India for medical treatment if only they (including Ume-ezeoke) did what they ought to have been done.
Re: Ume-ezeoke, Second Republic Speaker, Dies by aljharem3: 12:06pm On Aug 03, 2011
rest in peace sir

(1) (Reply)

Obama-linked US Firm Behind APC Campaigns –punch / Revealed: Jonathan Plotted Own Stoning In Katsina- Fejiro Oliver / Concluding Part Of Documentary On Buhari, Tinubu, Amaechi And Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.