Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,062 members, 7,810,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? (26605 Views)

Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Miracle In Football / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr / Meet The Nigeria Football Team Of 1962 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by AdemolaVictorTv(m): 10:36am On Aug 09, 2022
1. Nigeria Football Miracle of Dammam
It’s the quarterfinal game of the 1989 FIFA World Youth Championship hosted by Saudi Arabia.
Nigeria under 20 team faced the Soviet Union Under 20 team for a chance to advance to the semi-finals. Nigerians had high hopes for the game. In this quarterfinal game, the Soviet Union raced to a four-goal lead within 46 minutes. Everyone couldn’t believe it. The match was all over at this point. No team at a FIFA World Cup match had ever comeback from four goals down to equalize let alone, go on to win. At this point, many fans lost hope. They felt it would be Soviet Union advancing to the semi-finals. However, the Nigerian players had other plans in mind. With only thirty minutes left in the match, Nigeria responded. Christopher Ohenhen scored two goals, in the 61st and 75th minutes of the game.
Samuel Elijah then scored the third goal in the 83rd minute before the captain, Nduka Ugbade completed the remarkable comeback with a goal in the 84th minute to end the game in a draw. Nigeria then won the match 5-3 on penalties to knock out Soviet Union who at this point couldn’t believe what just happened. Nigeria went on to defeat the United States 2 goals to one in the semi finals but lost to Portugal in the final. Even though the team came second in the competition. Their exploits in the quarter finals would not be forgotten and it was given it’s own name called “The Miracle of Dammam”

2. Nigeria Comeback AT 2014 CHAN against Morocco (The Cape Town Miracle)
Many people might have forgotten this, but it was just as incredible as others.
Nigeria had just won the African Cup of Nations in 2013, and the home-based players were looking to replicate that feet at the 2014 African Nations Championship (also known as CHAN), however they found themselves down 3-0 at half-time against Morocco in the quarter finals.
The team coached by late Stephen Keshi did not lose hope though, It seems that whatever the coach told them during the break appeared to have worked as midfielder Ugonna Uzochukwu began the comeback for Nigerian with a strike four minutes into the second half. Rabiu Ali then smashed home the second goal for Nigeria from the edge of the box in the 56th minute, the talented winger, Ejike Uzoenyi, then completed the extraordinary comeback for Nigeria in the 90th minute, when his shot from outside the box beat the Moroccan keeper to send the game to extra time.

Substitute Aliyu Ibrahim then sealed the historic win with a goal in the 11th minute of extra time. Nigeria has just come from 3 goals down to defeat Morocco 4 goals to 3 and the fans couldn’t believe it. The players did a really good job pulling such a comeback on that day. Nigeria however lost the semi-finals game to Ghana on penalties.
But Nigeria still claimed the bronze medal after defeating Zimbabwe in the third-place match. Ejike Uzoenyi was voted as the best player in that tournament.

3. Nigeria Comebacks AT Atlanta 96 Olympics
Nigeria defeated Brazil in the semi-finals at the Atlanta 1996 Olympic games in what many people will describe as a miracle and their favourite comeback of all time in Nigerian Football History.
Nigeria managed to achieve what would become a legendary comeback against an all-star Brazilian team (which included Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Bebeto and Rivaldo).

Brazil was leading 3-1 with 12 minutes to the end of the match if felt like the game was over. At the 78th minute, Nigeria pulled one back with a goal from Viktor Ikpeba. The Nigerian team then equalised in the very last minute thanks to a goal from legendary striker Nwankwo Kanu to send the match into extra time. Kanu would also score the winning golden goal four minutes into extra time to send Nigeria to the finals.
Nigeria would do the same thing yet again at the finals against Argentina, coming from 2-1 down with less than 16 minutes to the end of the match. First Daniel Amokachi equalised in the 74th minute to bring the scores level. And then the key moment came: In the very last minute, Nigeria won a free-kick and Argentina tried to play the offside trap. But they failed, leaving Emmanuel Amunike alone in the box who scored to give Nigeria the victory against Argentina. And for the first time ever, an African team had won the Olympic football tournament.

Source: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Miracle In Football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qa1oAcetY4&feature=emb_title

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by kenzysmith: 10:41am On Aug 09, 2022
It has to be Atalanta 1996 against Brazil parading superstars like berbeto,Carlos,Rinaldo and the likes.

I would ve said 1989 but me and u know how he dey go say na overage we dey always use to win all those tournaments.

Messi under20 set 2005

Messi is still at PSG currently balloon do or Holder.
Mikel finished second while taiwo finish third wey taiwo and Mikel dey today?

2017 junior world cup Toni kross is in Madrid today wey chrisantos machuley who won d golden booth dey today.

Messi and Toni kross are still in the national team up till now wey the likes of Mikel,taiwlo and chrisatos dey?
Look at the likes of ihenacho and oshimen who use their real age look at the height they have gone so far. We should stop using overage players and be truthful to ourselves

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Hezzyluv: 10:44am On Aug 09, 2022
The one I love most is Liverpool's comback against #Barcelona in the Champions league 2020 semi finals. grin

I know wetin I dey talkgrin

39 Likes

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by kenzysmith: 10:55am On Aug 09, 2022
Hezzyluv:
The one I love most is Liverpool's comback against #Barcelona in the Champions league 2020 semi finals. grin

I know wetin I dey talkgrin

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by musterseeds: 11:58am On Aug 09, 2022
I think Nigeria vs Morocco at the CHAN 2014 is underrated. That comeback was massive, coming from 3-0 down to win 4-3. I remember that day, I left where I was watching at half time, already lost hope, only to realize later in the day that we won. Unbeliavable

By the way, I hope the Falcomets do well at the under 20 women World Cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplJCFIJjKg

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Pells: 12:44pm On Aug 09, 2022
Did you add the comeback of Sunday game between Manchester united and Brighton shocked cool shocked

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by OlowoDc(m): 12:44pm On Aug 09, 2022
Ok
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by betterman22(m): 12:44pm On Aug 09, 2022
Nigeria Comebacks AT Atlanta 96 Olympics remains the best and historic comeback ever

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by fasho01(m): 12:45pm On Aug 09, 2022
It's Atalanta 96 for me..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by phemmyfour: 12:45pm On Aug 09, 2022
Atlanta of course cos of

The stage

The opposition

The competition

Olympic is a mini World cup

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by adioolayi(m): 12:45pm On Aug 09, 2022
Atlanta 1996...

Nigeria Vs Brazil...

O boy!

Evergreen....one of my area brothers, full of excitement..jumped from a storey building without knowing he did..too much adrenaline... grin cheesy grin..

What an unbelievable comeback!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by sylve11: 12:46pm On Aug 09, 2022
Atlanta 96. cool

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by 6ixVille: 12:46pm On Aug 09, 2022
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 09, 2022
Atlanta 96 naa. The first two are like Olule. We triumphed and later chop breakfast.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Hndrrxxx(m): 12:48pm On Aug 09, 2022
I got bitches from the southside saying that I abandoned them

1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by omoredia: 12:49pm On Aug 09, 2022
Barcelona vs psg

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Discountsempai: 12:49pm On Aug 09, 2022
Miracle of Damman for me

I mean, I watched the match on TV, and went from feeling like we were out to feeling like we could win...and we did...via penalty shootout.

Sorry, but Nos 2 and 3 don't come close.....

3 Likes

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:49pm On Aug 09, 2022
Atlanta
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Stanislause94: 12:50pm On Aug 09, 2022
Peter Obi vs Tinubu, Peter finally pulled a stunt
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Konjiboii: 12:50pm On Aug 09, 2022
OP make space for the greatest comeback when Labour party win the election

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Discountsempai: 12:50pm On Aug 09, 2022
Konjiboii:
OP make space for the greatest comeback when Labour party win the election

Go to the politics section please, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 12:51pm On Aug 09, 2022
kenzysmith:
It has to be Atalanta 1996 against Brazil parading superstars like berbeto,Carlos,Rinaldo and the likes.

I would ve said 1989 but me and u know how he dey go say na overage we dey always use to win all those tournaments.

Messi under20 set 2005

2017 junior world cup Toni kross is in Madrid today wey chrisantos machuley who won d golden booth dey today.

Messi and Toni kross are still in the national team up till now wey the likes of Mikel,taiwlo and chrisatos dey?
Look at the likes of ihenacho and oshimen who use their real age look at the height they have gone so far. We should stop using overage players and be truthful to ourselves

If 89 was over age, what about Atlanta '96? They are all age grouped competition. Atl '96 was filled with nucleus of Japan '93 team plus established super eagles players with accepted 3 overaged players. How many youth players make it to the top?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by saintokwuluora(m): 12:52pm On Aug 09, 2022
Nigeria v Brazil @Atalanta 96 Olympics is my favourite because we had never beaten a Brazil team before, it usually ends 4-0 in their favor and most importantly the victory paved the way for a triumphant gold medal against Argentina for Africa's first gold medal in the football event of the Olympic Games. The history of football in Africa is not complete without the mention of that game. The whole country was quaking for 24 hours from that night till the next night.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Konjiboii: 12:54pm On Aug 09, 2022
Sweetplum:
Atlanta 96 naa. The first two are like Olule. We triumphed and later chop breakfast.

I want to fvck you, think about.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 12:55pm On Aug 09, 2022
Most people saying ATL 96 here didn't watch Saudi 89. IBB even declared a public holiday for that comeback. Was 4-0 down. Notable mention will be France 98 Spain vs Nigeria. Saudi 89 was under-21, while ATL 96 was under 23.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by alizma: 12:55pm On Aug 09, 2022
betterman22:
Nigeria Comebacks AT Atlanta 96 Olympics remains the best and historic comeback ever
We call it Atlanta miracle, other ones dey learn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Pandev(m): 12:55pm On Aug 09, 2022
kenzysmith:

Messi under20 set 2005

oga @the bolded, it was not 2017 but 2007. More so, I can categorically tell you that Chrisantus used football age that time. He must be closed to 35 in that 2007 if you notice the way he looked back then grin
Also, Taiye Taiwo must be around 50 now. Mikel actually was a successful footballer, he went ahead to become super eagles captain. He also won African Nations Cup with Nigeria and UEFA champions league with Chelsea.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Winners Of African Player Of The Year Award From 1992 To Present (Photos) / Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes The First Player To Score In Five World Cups / Woman Who Claimed Neymar Raped Her Threatens To Release Video Of The Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.