Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,761 members, 7,813,526 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today (16715 Views)

ASUU STRIKE: ASUU Meets Today, May Extend Strike / ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday / ASUU Strike: Federal Varsities To Be Grounded From February 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by divinehand2003(m): 6:55am On Aug 16, 2022
As the federal government and leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) meet today, the union has expressed the hope of calling off the strike if the government meets its demands.

ASUU president, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke, stated this when he appeared as a guest on Monday’s edition of Channels Television’s Politics Today.

Osodeke said the issues of IPPIS and UTAS had been put to rest and insisted that the government has the capacity to meet the union’s demands.

LEADERSHIP reports that ASUU strike has entered six months without headway so far.
The lecturers in the nation’s public universities embarked on the strike on February 14, 2022 and extended several times because their demands were not met.

The ASUU president also lamented lack of commitment on the part of the government towards ending the strike which has kept students out of school for six months, and said the union’s platform, UTAS, was ready for application.

He said, “When they came with this IPPIS we told them that it cannot accommodate universities and that time the accountant general then, and the person in charge of IPPIS, when we met and finish the discussion and we found out the weakness in IPPIS, they agreed we should have a different solution.

“UTAS is ready and is the best. My happiness today about this strike is that for the first time they have tested IPPIS. It came in 2006 and it was never tested; they have been using it untested.

“I’m Happy that the Minister of communication and digital economy has been able to come out and say that there were multiple errors in IPPIS. Let them release the results it will tell us, UTAS came first in all the payment platforms.

“We and SSANU, we don’t have a problem on UTAS again, we are in unity now.

“We don’t have any faction of university lecturers. Whoever is doing that may be trying to use them against us. For you to have a union in a country like this it has to be registered.
“One, the issue of IPPIS and UTAS has to be put to rest because the test has been done
“If this government is serious this strike wouldn’t last more than two weeks. We were supposed to go on strike in November and NIREC came in and intervened and we were considerate to them. They met with the president, he set up a committee headed by the chief of staff that they should resolve this quickly and they did nothing.

“They set up the Nimi Briggs committee, we finished discussing with them they didn’t come back, the president directed the minister of education to resolve this within two weeks, two weeks has passed, they didn’t come back.

“We feel sad because what we are going to do now if we resume tomorrow in the next four years I cannot go on leave because I’m going to cover the backlog of work that we should have done while on strike.

“If we go to that meeting tomorrow and the government says what we are bargaining is willing to sign we call off strike,” he added.

Reacting to the minister of state for labour and employment, Mr Festus Keyamo’s comment, who said it would be unrealistic for the federal government to borrow money to pay the salaries of lecturers, Osodeke said he was speaking out of context.

“When you are appointed as a spokesperson you start saying anything you like, they don’t think. Is he the Minister of Finance? Has he attended any of our meetings? He should produce the data of what he is talking about.

https://leadership.ng/strike-again-federal-govt-ASUU-meets-today/

5 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by LoneWolf212: 7:02am On Aug 16, 2022
Buhari should give ASUU what is theirs.

16 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Quest7777: 7:05am On Aug 16, 2022

This strike has lingered because non of the children of our leaders is studying in any of the ASUU controlled universities.
We need such laws to compel children of public office holders to study in our public universities.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by SmartPolician: 7:06am On Aug 16, 2022
I thought Tinubu agreed to pay the money.

What has he been doing with all the money he has been making from Lagos since 1999? cheesy

21 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by divinehand2003(m): 7:07am On Aug 16, 2022
The body language of the current administration with regards to ASUU strike is appalling and disgraceful.

They are joking with the future of the leaders of tomorrow.

9 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by orisa37: 7:09am On Aug 16, 2022
NGIGE MUST SOLVE ASUU WHATEVER PROBLEM WITHIN 24 HOURS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:11am On Aug 16, 2022
dis ASUU people no send FG

5 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by OSUigboFlatHead(f): 7:15am On Aug 16, 2022
Usually senseless meetings

Thunder fire all of Una.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by OSUigboFlatHead(f): 7:16am On Aug 16, 2022
Obi will end ASUU strike in 2 days cool

5 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Oduduwa707: 7:16am On Aug 16, 2022
How many 9ja Politicians' children school in Nigeria? angry

Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by slawomir: 7:16am On Aug 16, 2022
Damnnn niggar
Nothing reasonable will come out of it
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:16am On Aug 16, 2022
Selling dope all my life, I can’t do minimum wage (nah)

You can call the narcs I ain’t quitting ��

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by vb0mb(m): 7:16am On Aug 16, 2022
Better . we pray for good things ahead

Be careful while at petrol/gas filling station. See video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctN1hL5YQOw
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by geogrev(m): 7:16am On Aug 16, 2022
they should do something oo students have stayed home enough
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by mayowayon: 7:17am On Aug 16, 2022
We all kn the outcome already
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by sukkot: 7:17am On Aug 16, 2022
hmm
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Passionate888: 7:17am On Aug 16, 2022
F.G don dey fear after ASUU chairman say make students vote out those wey put them in this situation

7 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by meobizy(f): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2022
Let the thing linger till post election. I enjoy seeing Nairaland trolls lament in-between their foolish shenanigans. Everyone I know finished uni years ago. Let these children spend ten years in an institution for a four year course.
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by fetcher36(m): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2022
If it was possible for this govt to hide this whole strike issue under the carpet I'm sure they would have done so without delay. Unfortunately they can't; it would keep being a pain in their ass

4 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by vinceyinnovation: 7:17am On Aug 16, 2022
Expect inconclusive as the result of the meeting....since ASUU is not in a "closed door meeting" with federal government.
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Sebastine1994(m): 7:18am On Aug 16, 2022
angry
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by TheNiceGuy(m): 7:18am On Aug 16, 2022
ASUU destroying life of students out of their selfishness.

They're Only fighting for themselves and not students. None of their demand will benefit student directly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by orisa37: 7:18am On Aug 16, 2022
ASUU DOES NOT CONCERN NASS.
KADUNA TO ZAUZAU IS A PRIORITY FOR THE CONSTITUTION AS AMENDED.
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by inoki247: 7:18am On Aug 16, 2022
Another waste of time....
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by anambraamaka: 7:18am On Aug 16, 2022
Great
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by chaseblack(m): 7:19am On Aug 16, 2022
ASUU demands three things:
1) IPPS/UTAS
2) Increase in salary
3) An improvement in University infrastructure

In my opinion, if the government cannot afford an upward review of salary because we are broke, at least it is their responsibility to provide the infrastructures needed in our institutions.

I think if the government compromise on their IPPS/UTAS situation, ASUU will resume.

Even if they cannot increase their salary, let ASUU have their UTAS system but the government can set up a taskforce to monitor fraudulent activities and let ICPC/EFCC prosecute any lecturer who is fraudulent.

12 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by loosecanon50(m): 7:19am On Aug 16, 2022
Scam
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by jkpbestseries: 7:19am On Aug 16, 2022
h
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by TheNiceGuy(m): 7:21am On Aug 16, 2022
Even your ancestral ailment is caused by Tinubu.

Your moniker is ironical to your personality, Dull politician
SmartPolician:
I thought Tinubu agreed to pay the money.

What has he been doing with all the money he has been making from Lagos since 1999? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by eedimo(m): 7:21am On Aug 16, 2022
Deadlock
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by jkpbestseries: 7:23am On Aug 16, 2022
From the Military regime to PDP and now APC it has become a norm of successive government pushing up their agreement to the other. Am so glad that is only ASUU that can hold FG to do the right thing. We need more ASUU in Nigeria to get things right.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: UNIPORT Announces Resumption, Marathon Exams / The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Auchi Poly 2016-2017 Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.