Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,940 members, 7,835,132 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today (16748 Views)

ASUU STRIKE: ASUU Meets Today, May Extend Strike / ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday / ASUU Strike: Federal Varsities To Be Grounded From February 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by DevilSignature: 7:24am On Aug 16, 2022
angry
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by SmartPolician: 7:24am On Aug 16, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
If your ancestral ailment is caused by Tinubu.

This comment made me laugh so hard grin
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by princeade86(m): 7:26am On Aug 16, 2022
Quest7777:

This strike has lingered because non of the children of our leaders is studying in any of the ASUU controlled universities.
We need such laws to compel children of public office holders to study in our public universities.
and students don't even see it as something bad. If not, I believe they should have shut down every part of d country with massive protests. That is,if u can't allow us to go sch, u can't have peace of mind to sit at office as well.

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Selfmotivated: 7:27am On Aug 16, 2022
divinehand2003:

https://leadership.ng/strike-again-federal-govt-ASUU-meets-today/
6months and counting... What kind of government that neglect education and security. SPITS!

3 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Focusmi: 7:27am On Aug 16, 2022
Until we get it right in education we're going no where in this Country tongue

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by blackpanda: 7:32am On Aug 16, 2022
Buhari should not pay them anything. The blackmail is too much. Let them strike till 2023. The new administration will definitely not pay for what it doesn't know about. Then the strike should continue forever till they are tired angry Lubbish
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by blackpanda: 7:33am On Aug 16, 2022
Selfmotivated:

6months and counting... What kind of government neglect education and security. SPITS!

Is it govt that told them to strike Smh
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by blackpanda: 7:37am On Aug 16, 2022
chaseblack:
ASUU demands three things:
1) IPPS/UTAS
2) Increase in salary
3) An improvement in University infrastructure

In my opinion, if the government cannot afford an upward review of salary because we are broke, at least it is their responsibility to provide the infrastructures needed in our institutions.

I think if the government compromise on their IPPS/UTAS situation, ASUU will resume.

Even if they cannot increase their salary, let ASUU have their UTAS system but the government can set up a taskforce to monitor fraudulent activities and let ICPC/EFCC prosecute any lecturer who is fraudulent.

But on what basis are they demanding tho. NUC Act does not make it mandatory for govt to be the their treasury pot. Govt is only supposed to provide support. What do they use the school fees they collect to do

In my opinion, Universities should be made autonomous. Any university that cannot cope should be shut down and merged. Govt should rather invest in the students by providing bursaries and scholarships. The universities have weaponized strikes and industrial action. They won't even wait to discuss, they just strike first then discuss later.

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by onyxo76(m): 7:54am On Aug 16, 2022
nobody seems to be paying attention to the other 3 university unions, they are on strike too.
we hope for a positive outcome today.
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 16, 2022
I wonder hw APC is Expecting to Win 2023 Elections when ASUU is still on Strike sad angry

De should better Minus Students Votes from der Counts and Calculate the Remaining

2 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Mullernobi(m): 7:57am On Aug 16, 2022
TheNiceGuy:
ASUU destroying life of students out of their selfishness.

They're Only fighting for themselves and not students. None of their demand will benefit student directly.

Your statement is very unfortunate
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Auskyd(m): 8:00am On Aug 16, 2022
blackpanda:

But on what basis are they demanding tho. NUC Act does not make it mandatory for govt to be the their treasury pot. Govt is only supposed to provide support. What do they use the school fees they collect to do

In my opinion, Universities should be made autonomous. Any university that cannot cope should be shut down and merged. Govt should rather invest in the students by providing bursaries and scholarships. The universities have weaponized strikes and industrial action. They won't even wait to discuss, they just strike first then discuss later.

Do your research. Undergraduate school fees goes straight into TSA. All of it.

Even most post graduate fees too goes direcelt to TSA thru Remita.

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Auskyd(m): 8:03am On Aug 16, 2022
blackpanda:

Uncle, they had series of meetings back to back from January last year without anything to show for it.
FG stopped coming in October, and ASUU was supposed to strike the following month. They didn't.

ASUU kept sending memos and calling for meetings and nobody responded till February.

So whose fault is it again sir? How did ASUU not try to negotiate and just go on strike like that? Tell us as you seem to know more than the rest of us.

5 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by zikter(m): 8:08am On Aug 16, 2022
blackpanda:

Firstly, who told you ASUU(lecturers) collect and manage school fees? Secondly do you know how much parents will have to cough out if you insist on autonomy? This things are deeper than the shallow knowledge you have about them. Education anywhere is very expensive and governments all over input in one way or the other to subsidize it for the general good of her citizens. Our lazy and care free fraudulent politicians must live up to their responsibilities. Just find out how much they are paying for their children in foreign schools and you will marvel. Very useless people

3 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Creeknigga(m): 8:14am On Aug 16, 2022
Fingers crossed!
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by dfrost: 8:21am On Aug 16, 2022
chaseblack:
1) IPPS/UTAS
2) Increase in salary

In my opinion, if the government cannot afford an upward review of salary because we are broke, at least it is their responsibility to provide the infrastructures needed in our institutions.

I think if the government compromise on their IPPS/UTAS situation, ASUU will resume.

Even if they cannot increase their salary, let ASUU have their UTAS system but the government can set up a taskforce to monitor fraudulent activities and let ICPC/EFCC prosecute any lecturer who is fraudulent.

Funny is that the same IPPIS could not prevent someone that has resigned from the present government from receiving salary after three months. That alone has failed the integrity test of IPPIS.

3 Likes

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Entom(m): 8:25am On Aug 16, 2022
Can they make the law against themselves?
No
This is one of our problems
Quest7777:

This strike has lingered because non of the children of our leaders is studying in any of the ASUU controlled universities.
We need such laws to compel children of public office holders to study in our public universities.
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Selfmotivated: 8:52am On Aug 16, 2022
divinehand2003:

https://leadership.ng/strike-again-federal-govt-ASUU-meets-today/
None of the parties don't want to play to the gallery, another deadlock loading...
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Bluntemperor: 8:53am On Aug 16, 2022
Quest7777:

True talk,bro!
The two Ministers - Adamu and Ngige , should be excused from that meeting,for Nigeria Education to have Peace and move forward!
Why should Nigeria Education be suffering like this?
Why should those who should find solutions be making mockery of the same System they are benefiting from,after all,they Ministers are receiving their own Salaries and Allowances regularly!
Enough of the shenanigans!
Let the Tertiary Institutions resumes in earnest, please.

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by iswallker(m): 9:25am On Aug 16, 2022
chaseblack:
1) IPPS/UTAS
2) Increase in salary

You are talking out of context

undecided

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by wisdomkid: 9:28am On Aug 16, 2022
Presidency and ASUU meeting today should yield good result abeg. Or else, let the strike kukuma enta next year
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Blessing2305(m): 9:36am On Aug 16, 2022
Someone should please send me small thing to eat with even if it is just 1k please. I've not had anything to eat since yesterday and i'm very hungry please. May you never lack and may God in heaven bless you. Amen
Account
Idris Musa
Zenith Bank
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Secondly: 9:50am On Aug 16, 2022
I see them calling off the strike this week.

I want them to call off this strike this week so that I can continue with Doris from where we left off since February.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 16, 2022
blackpanda:

Ewo oooo, at your age and level, you don't know school fees is to remitted to FG! grin Wonderful citizen of Naija

1 Like

Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by starz100: 10:10am On Aug 16, 2022
The question is, are both parties willing to make concessions, or is it another merry go round?
Re: Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today by SATANlSTMINION: 11:30am On Aug 16, 2022
SmartPolician:
I thought Tinubu agreed to pay the money.

What has he been doing with all the money he has been making from Lagos since 1999? cheesy
so many stupid people on this forum

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yabatech Bans Cooking In School, Students Cry Out / JAMB Begins Biometric Verification Of Candidates / Kogi State University Admission List Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.