Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? (2481 Views)

I’ve Been Stripped Unclad – Mother Of Twins Killed By Drunken-Cop / Woman, 48, delivers a set of twins after 20 years of marriage (Pictured) / PHOTO: Man Who Abandoned Wife For Having 3 Set Of Twins Returns Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by nogames: 7:22am On Aug 06, 2011
It was said that Yoruba have the highest rate of twinning in the world,
It's a curious, but little-known fact that the rate of twin births in West Africa is about four times higher than in the rest of the world. The centre of this twin zone is Igbo-Ora, a sleepy southwest town in Nigeria.
this is according to wikipedia and some other publications.
i need reaction of fellow NLandiers on this issue

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_IsZNBK7Hf1B4VhfWtFxg7G2svw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/people/highlights/010607_twins.shtml
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 06, 2011
Hmmm, interesting. I have no idea, though I recall in Nigeria a lot of twins have Yoruba names.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by tpia5: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2011
Quick question here because i dont want to open a thread:

in ancient times elsewhere when twins and babies who werent acceptable  were thrown into the evil forest, were these children taken and raised by any other people after being thrown there or is this something nobody knows about for sure.

Mary slessor took in a lot of these kids but i'm wondering if other africans did the same without the knowledge of the general populace.

I think there was a book about something like that long ago where a baby who was thrown out, was raised by somebody, though i could be getting things mixed up here since it sounds like the story of moses.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by nogames: 5:12pm On Aug 06, 2011
tpia@:

Quick question here because i dont want to open a thread:

in ancient times elsewhere when twins and babies who werent acceptable  were thrown into the evil forest, were these children taken and raised by any other people after being thrown there or is this something nobody knows about for sure.

Mary slessor took in a lot of these kids but i'm wondering if other africans did the same without the knowledge of the general populace.

I think there was a book about something like that long ago where a baby who was thrown out, was raised by somebody, though i could be getting things mixed up here since it sounds like the story of moses.

what are you trying to say? hope you are not saying that those thrown aware twins were taken and raised Yorubas ?
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by tpia5: 5:27pm On Aug 06, 2011
^^my post has nothing to do with yorubas.

I already stated I dont want to open a thread for the question.

plz follow logically.

Is yorubaland beside those regions or why would you assume that's what I meant.

The types of children who were thrown away were twins, any unusual ones [ eg having the umbilical cord around your neck, etc], or anyone not fitting in with the societal standards for "normal" babies. Did this include albinos.

so, was anyone picking them up secretly.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by tpia5: 5:43am On Aug 07, 2011
Just remembered the name of the book in question.

It was koku baboni and the story was about a young boy who found outhis mother wasnt his birth mum. He had been thrown out as a baby into the evil forest and his mother (who was childless) found him there and raised him as her own son.

Wonder if stories like this were based on actual incidents.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 07, 2011
tpia@:

Just remembered the name of the book in question.
It was koku baboni and the story was about a young boy who found outhis mother wasnt his birth mum. He had been thrown out as a baby into the evil forest and his mother (who was childless) found him there and raised him as her own son.
Wonder if stories like this were based on actual incidents.

I'd say a great deal of such stories were not as fictional as we're lead to believe, these incidents actually took place.

Is that book still in print? I wouldn't mind buying a copy if possible.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by tpia5: 4:31am On Aug 08, 2011
i doubt it's still in print but i saw one copy on amazon at an outrageous price.

i wish i'd kept all my books from back then sha. The quality of writing competed favourably with any foreign author.

i think the boy's mother told him the story on her death bed, after which he went to the village in question and found his birth mother who i think had sunk into a deep depression after her baby was thrown out. She only got better when he finally found her. The villagers too were very astonished and decided to stop the practice and keep their twins.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by Roland17(m): 8:43pm On Aug 09, 2011
I give it to Edo state, evey compound has a twin.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by tpiander: 7:44am On Aug 04, 2015
nogames:

what are you trying to say? hope you are not saying that those thrown aware twins were taken and raised Yorubas ?

no, lolz.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by tpiander: 7:46am On Aug 04, 2015
@ topic

yes.

Some parts of Yorubaland were considered founded as a safe haven for twins in particular.

Details are in Ajayi Crowther's book.
Re: Is It True That Yoruba Is Land Of Twins? by Royaljaybaster(m): 6:56am On Apr 01, 2017
Thank God no more killing of twins. I think any twins babies thrown away were left to die. Death would have been very rapid for based on the fact that immediately the community learnt twins were born, they were led away.Thank God no more killing of twins. I think any twins babies thrown away were left to die. Death would have been very rapid for based on the fact that immediately the community learnt twins were born, they were led away.Thank God no more killing of twins. I think any twins babies thrown away were left to die. Death would have been very rapid for based on the fact that immediately the community learnt twins were born, they were led away.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Confront My Unfaithful Married Sister? / Please Help Me Judge This Attitude Exhibition By My Fiancee / Career Woman....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.