Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) (15621 Views)

MI Abaga "The Guy" Album Review - TrendyBeatz / M.I. Abaga – A Study On Self Worth: Yxng Dxnzl (album Download) & Tracklist / (album Download) M.I. Abaga – A Study On Self Worth: Yxng Dxnzl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by EntPublisher001: 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2022
Jude Lemfani Abaga, popularly known as M.I has written his name in the golden book of the Nigerian music industry, from impacting hip-hop culture for over a decade and a half as one of Africa’s biggest rap acts and also owning a standard record label that discovered some of Nigeria’s most remarkable talent. In this article, we wrote about his feat in the hip-hop evolution, his just released album, and everything in between.

The discussion of any conversation that revolves around the evolution of Nigerian Hip-Hop over the years will remain incomplete without the worthy mention of "The Guy" MI Abaga. Many might not remember this. Today's kids will not recognize or have an inkling of the time MI stamped his influence on this sphere.

MI Abaga: The Influence On Hip-hop Music Industry and "The Guy" Album.

Ever since MI dropped his critically acclaimed debut album "Talk About It" in 2008, after riding on the achievement waves of his hit song "Crowd Mentality" in 2006. Jude Abaga has since then remained relevant and as well successfully carved his name in the Nigerian Hip Hop Hall of Fame.

MI isn't the first Nigerian rapper at that period — it was that exact period the likes of Ruggedman, Modenine, and Eedris Abdulkareem were dominating the Nigerian hip-hop scene with word plays, hardcore raps, witty lyrics, and punchlines that were difficult for most Nigerians to comprehend.

Mr. Incredible, the full abbreviation meaning for (M.I) came into the game, like a thief at night and completely commanded a paradigm shift with his kind of rap style. Transformed the rap culture and made it even more sociable. He initiated a style of creating a sweet spot between deep lyricism and commercial appeal in almost all the rap projects he released. At this time, only a handful of Nigerian musicians could boast of this achievement.

From faultless verses with hard-hitting punchlines to the most admiring of love songs to conveying socio-political and mental health issues, he's been there, done that.

It's no doubt that after some years, after the period rap culture emerged in Nigeria in the 80s. The hip-hop genre witnessed massive growth and acceptance that made it rise to be even more commercially friendly to the extent that it's been delivered in various languages.

The continuous growth curve of the Hip-hop culture since then has influenced and birthed some of Nigeria’s most notable entertainment exports, and it continues to be a tenet for ambitious and emerging young music talents in the country and beyond.

Years rolled by and reviving the culture of rap in Nigeria became a recurrent conversation in the music industry. MI and other rappers didn't switch genres when some of the hardcore rappers went commercial, but the acceptance was diminishing. Recall that, it took a while before the sound permeated the soundscape and made a cultural impact in Nigeria, even when the genre was a big deal in the 70s in America, instead, prominent music genres like afrobeat and afro juju consistently reverberated at parties here in Nigeria.

The diminishing factor of culture is owed to the reduction of artists creating hip-hop sounds. Almost 8 out of 10 new artists on the block invest more in afrobeat sounds than Hip-Hop because there's not enough market in the Nigerian Music Industry to support rappers financially. This is because Afrobeat has become one of the most demanded genres on the global stage. We now have top artists from different continents creating Afrobeats music. Artists like Chris Brown/a>, Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran, and others.

Throughout this "Afrobeats to the world" agenda. M.I remains true to the art, he's like the last man standing of his generation and even in the generations after him. Last month, the rap legend released a new single titled "The Guy" — a rap single ahead of his The Guy album. In this track, MI infused heavy bass into catchy and skillfully executed lyrics which makes it one for both casual listeners and hip hop heads. "The Guy" is further proof that M.I remains the African Rap King.

M.I also confirmed that he's changed his stage name from MI Abaga to ‘The Guy’ — a build-up to his self-titled just-released album titled ’The Guy’. An album with featured artists like Nas, Olamide, Jesse Jagz, Wande Coal, Ice Prince, Duncan Mighty, BNXN (fka Buju), and others appearing on the tracklist.

In conclusion, it's crystal clear that M.I's influence on Hip Hop evolution cannot be overemphasized. Some music critics say Vector is Nigeria’s rap GOAT and some bring up Mode 9 but is this up for a debate again? No Nigerian rapper is lyrically better than MI, or even more acceptable and consistent.

Who do you think has invested more in the rap culture in Nigeria than M.I Abaga? Let's hear your thoughts.

Source: TrendyBeatz

49 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by SolarEngr(m): 8:17am On Aug 23, 2022
Consistency === Success.

Resilience is a fundamental characteristic of success.

Keep it going!
If you fail, devise another means!

“Success is the only compensation for failure not depression.”

Have a nice day.

Save money, stop buying fuel, check my signature and post, I just installed for another Nairalander yesterday.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by alphaconde(m): 8:17am On Aug 23, 2022
That Mi combo with Waje

One Naira was something else.

We have great stars in this country its even impossible to pick out the best.

Wizkid and Davido has distracted us for too long now

95 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Miyachi: 8:17am On Aug 23, 2022
I rather think he has lost a lot of relevance. I can still remember how popular he was around the 07-08 era, he was like a rap god.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by oxygenlove(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
Ok... You can yarn all you want.... Afrobeat is making us proud....

Kudos to him anyway .

9 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Favourdesent(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
THE GUY IS GOOD NO DOUBT

8 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Westchester(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
M.I was a sensation during his time but I think people overates him and hypes him more than his actual capabilities, I rate Olamide and Phyno higher than M.I in the rap game

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by illuminutty: 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
Noisemakers

4 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Boomboost(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
He's truly a Musical ICON but him time done pass...

This however is just dope.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Princebest(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
Seriously, I like this MI guy. Dude is very talented.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Akfrenzy(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
#AFRICA RAPPER NO 1

28 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Westchester(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
alphaconde:
F

F Kee you dia undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by iLegendd(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
Hip-hop revival in Nigeria? Where is Mode9?

5 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Olojuobinrin(m): 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
No cap ! MI is The Guy.

16 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Jayrockk: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2022
African rapper number 1

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Tboymessiah(m): 8:19am On Aug 23, 2022
NasoLifeBe!!!

Short man incredible.
Africa rapper Number 0ne.

5 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Spirit247: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2022
Hmm... Did you know that the Reward for Evangelism is first reaped on Earth and then later in Heaven? Do you Know that when you Evangelize and win Souls into Eternal Kingdom of MESSIAH, you are doing yourself far more favour than you are doing for our CREATOR and for Heaven? Evangelism is the most Important and Loving Service that you can give to Humanity.

Using myself as a typical Example: my earthly Father died just before I entered University. Things became so difficult in my 2nd Year in School that it eventually got me to become very paranoid and hard-hearted. While smoking at our usual joint, I told a School gang that I was with that we should go and rob Bank and get rich once and forall. They were too lilly-livered to follow my advice. All they do is only to use guns to terrorize Students in the University.

Few months later after then, Satan eventually arranged it for me to coincidentally enter Vehicle of Armed Robbers that were going for Operation. Actually, a man, a woman and I were searching for Vehicles. We stood by the Road side to get cheap Vehicle in Journey to our Destinations. As a Red Bus pulled over and stopped not far from us, the man and the woman rushed ahead of me trying to enter the Vehicle. As soon as they saw the faces of those in the Vehicle, they scampered backward and hurriedly walked away.

I got there too and saw like 10 guys with very red eyes and all in white attires. I smiled and hopped in immediately. They were shocked, they asked me some questions and I let them know I'm fully in. They hailed me and the Vehicle zoomed off. On the way to the Operation, their Leader suddenly stopped the Bus and said "They said we should not proceed" referring to the Demon Spirits that leads and Protect them. Another said he needs money urgently that they should go. As the argument ensured one suddenly turned back to look at me in far back seat and said "na because of this Strange Guy wey this Operation go backfire!" Suddenly all of them chorused that I should go down.

I started begging them, almost crying in explaining to them that this is the "wonderful Opportunity" which I have been looking for. The one beside me pulled out his gun and say "Get out!" I quickly rushed out of the Vehicle, they then vanished. That was the Day my CREATOR Saved me from becoming an Eternal Outcast from HIS Glorious Kingdom. We are all given that 2nd Chance, HE always stretches HIS Hand out to us by HIS unmerited Saving Grace, that still rejects it gets Eternally doomed and disconnected from HIS that put Breathe of Life into them. However, I was Still so foolish that I started frantically searching for any other Armed Robbery Group to join and also thinking of starting my own Robbery Squard in case I don't find quickly.

Finally, a Deeper Life Brother was alloted same room as me as a new Session soon started in the University. We were 4 roommates. This Brother relentlessly Preached to me that the major Purpose why we Humans are on Earth is to prove that nothing shall ever make us to turn our back against our CREATOR. He said only those that pass this Examination would be rewarded with Immortality from the One and Only SOURCE of Life that has sent HIS Son to show us HIS Faithfulness to those that shall live to Please HIM. Explained the Promised Eternal Life and Deep Love of our CREATOR to me, and I later Accepted MESSIAH as my LORD and OWNER irreversibly.

Imagine if that Deeper Life Brother didn't care since he is going to Heaven already by his Pure and Holy Heaven-compliant Lifestyle. By now, I would Probably have killed so many people, before finally being killed too. Who knows who and who would have fallen Victims to my brutal bullets. Even you reading this might have been 6ft below now as a Victim killed in one of my wickedly orchestrated operations in those days when I thought Life was all about making money at all cost. Don't ever think it was not possible because I and the highly demonic bloodthirsty Robbery Gang that I was also planning to put together would have been killing for fun in all our operations.

I was addicted to listening to Satanic Heavy Metal Rock Music and Violent Raps that Project killing as the best fun, so you can imagine how I metamorphozed from just fantasizibg with massive Daily killings, to actually taking the Practical Steps. I was desperate with a heart thats sees massive killings for money as fun beyond words. All Glory to the CREATOR of Humanity for the Brother who manifested True Love for Humanity by Preaching MESSIAH to me, the Deeper Life Brother indirectly saved the precious Lives that the devil would have taken through me.

If you, you, you and I daily do our own parts in massively winning Muslims into Eternal Kingdom of JESUS, BokoHaram, Jihadists, Religious Bombers and Ritual Killers would soon be a thing of the Past. Evangelizing and Winning Souls is not just for Heaven to Rejoice, it is for your Children and mine to live in a Peaceful World of Love, Calm and Joyful Divine Serenity on Earth.

You just don't know the Heartless unprecedented inhumane Wickedness against Humanity which bloodthirsty Demons are fiercely grooming that your next door Neighbor for! For the sake of your Children and unborn Generation, you better throw aways your Senseless Ego and myopic self-destructive Pride and Preach to him/her/them! Before it becomes too late and you find your self to be the late.

Only myopic selfishness and self-centeredness Prevents most of we Christians from seeing the Bigger Picture. Preaching to those People in Vehicles, in your School, in your Office, in your Compound, etc. would go a long Way in making your World Saner, Peaceful and enjoyable. Your Evangelizing is germane Key to Heaven on Earth.* So, when you and I Evangelize daily, we, our Children and even your unborn Generation Reaps the Reward on Earth, and we still Receive Eternal Life as Reward when we get to the Judgement Throne which every Humanbeing shall surely face.

Let's Pray: I AM THAT I AM, our Eternal Heavenly FATHER, we Pray that YOU Grant us the Heart that shall only find Satisfaction in doing Your Assignment of daily Winning Souls into Your Eternal Kingdom in JESUS' Name!!!!!!!
Source: https://www.nairaland.com/7232368/evangelism-ultimate-love-service-humanity

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Jamiubond009(m): 8:19am On Aug 23, 2022
Overrated.Give me barry lane or show dem camp

1 Like

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Burgerlomo: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2022
The short man is spitting fire cool

9 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by IbrahimSkiba(f): 8:20am On Aug 23, 2022
Favourdesent:
him just pack features

Meaning
Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by taretoofine(m): 8:20am On Aug 23, 2022
Mi and no other

4 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by tishbite42: 8:20am On Aug 23, 2022
Hip-hop is dead

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by mey14(m): 8:20am On Aug 23, 2022
MY GUY

2 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by Skibani99(m): 8:21am On Aug 23, 2022
MI the very Guy

4 Likes

Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by alphaconde(m): 8:21am On Aug 23, 2022
Westchester:

F Kee you dia undecided

i forgive u
Re: The Consistency Of Nigerian Hip-hop Revivalist, MI Abaga (a.k.a The Guy) by shortIGBOman: 8:21am On Aug 23, 2022
MI dey try.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Eagle FM Abuja On Fire (Pictures, Video) / Zlatan – 'Yeye Boyfriend' (Video) / DOWNLOAD Video + Audio: Cleo Ice Queen (BBA) – Big Dreams Feat JK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.