Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? (1497 Views)

Recover Stolen Blackberry Mtn Nigeria / Blackberry Mtn Fraud / Blackberry Mtn Nigeria Settings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 07, 2011
As the topic states.

I have a friend coming from Nigeria to spend two weeks with us in the UK. She owns a Blackberry Bold 3, running on the MTN network. My question is, can it be unlocked to run a UK SIM, from o2 mobile? Thanks!
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 07, 2011
Any help here would be much appreciated.
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 07, 2011
No phone gurus here that can help? C'mon guys, help a brother out!
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2011
12 views, yet no responses.
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Somatic(m): 2:03pm On Aug 07, 2011
Most BBs bought at the MTN office are factory unblocked. I doubt MTN locks BBs (at least not mine). If its the case in yhur friend's then she's good to go. Ask her wherr she bought the BB.
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2011
Hi Somatic, thanks for responding.

I'm not sure where she bought her BB, she resides in Abuja, so I would imagine it would have been bought from somewhere local to her. Am I to understand your own Blackberry accepted a UK SIM card?
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Somatic(m): 2:41pm On Aug 07, 2011
Some issues have to b addressed.
First, wherr was the BB bought?
Also, what model of BB does she use?
Was it factory unlocked or locked to any network?
Coz,
Sims work better on factory unlocked BBs than previously locked ones.
Also, some networks don't work on certain BBs.
Its two sided. Phone and Network(Sim).
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by N101: 3:17pm On Aug 07, 2011
Hi Siena  - another idea to check if her phone is unlocked: get her to try another local SIM i.e. she could try a SIM from another network either Etisalat, Airtel or Glo.  If she tries it and the other SIM  works without any error message, I would presume that her handset isn't locked into the MTN network. 

That being the case, technically she shouldn't have a problem buying a UK SIM and using it in her phone (so long as she realises the BB services will cost extra).
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by N101: 3:23pm On Aug 07, 2011
Also, if her phone is locked, this thread may help, or  Lexusgs430 might be able to help.
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 07, 2011
Thanks guys! I'll get some more details from my friend with regards to the issues you've raised, and find out where exactly she purchased the handset from.

Thanks again.
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 12, 2011
Guys, you were right - the Naija Blackberry on MTN network accepted a UK o2 SIM card without any error messages, or loss of functions. So it wasn't locked to any particular network.

Again, many thanks for all your help and advice!
Re: Can A Nigerian-sourced Blackberry (mtn) Run A Uk-sourced Sim (o2)? by N101: 3:02pm On Aug 14, 2011
Glad it's working for her with no trouble. Hope she enjoys her stay.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Glo Network This Bad? I Am Getting Tired Of Glo / Pls Wich Gionee Phone Can I Buy Within The Price Range Of 16-18k... / Easiest Way To Hide Your "Last Seen" On Whatsapp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.