Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,794 members, 7,851,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:09 AM

Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started (690 Views)

Goat Farming In Nigeria – How To Start And Earn Big While At It! / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by Aboseday: 11:20am On Aug 24, 2022
Nigerians love poultry meat, it is the third most consumed meat in Nigeria, after beef and goat meat, reports indicate that Nigerians consume over 1.5 million tons of poultry meat annually, and the demand for poultry eggs and meat continues to rise steadily. However, local production of poultry in Nigeria only meets about 30% of demand, while poultry imports meet up the rest of the demand. This clearly indicates that poultry farming in Nigeria is a highly lucrative field of agriculture that is still largely under-exploited in Nigeria. Thus, if you are thinking of starting a career in agriculture, you should definitely consider poultry farming.

Poultry farming refers to the raising of domestic birds like chicken, turkey, ducks etc for the purpose of producing meat, eggs, feathers and manure for human consumption and other purposes. It is a highly profitable venture with a lot of exciting opportunities, and if done right, you’ll be killing two birds with one stone– you will make a lot of profit due to high demand for poultry meat and eggs in Nigeria, and you’ll also be doing your part to ensure that local production of poultry meets demand, thus minimising importation of poultry products. If you want to get more insights about the facts, figures and statistics about poultry farming in Nigeria, read this blog post.

Continue reading this blog post if you want to learn about how to get started with poultry farming in Nigeria. It contains everything you need to know about starting a poultry farm in Nigeria.

HOW TO GET STARTED WITH POULTRY FARMING IN NIGERIA
- Learning About the Cost and Creating a Budget
- Choosing the Type of Bird to Rear
- Selecting A Suitable Farm Location for Poultry Farming in Nigeria
- Providing Good Housing or Shelter for Poultry Farming in Nigeria
- Free-range Poultry Housing System
- Semi-intensive Housing System
- Folding Unit System
- Intensive System
- Feeding And Caring for the Birds
- Marketing And Selling the Birds and Their Products

1. Learning About the Cost and Creating a Budget

The cost of starting and operating a poultry farm depends on the size of the farm and the scale of operations. A small-scale farm requires less capital due to the low cost of housing and feeding involved. Large scale poultry farms require well-constructed housing systems, large quantities of highly nutritious food and appropriate measures for disease and pest control which can be quite expensive. Before starting a poultry farm, decide the kind of farm you want to start, find out the cost of everything you need to start the farm and create a budget accordingly. You can start a small-scale poultry business in Nigeria with less than ....

Read more here: Poultry Farming in Nigeria

Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by Tboymessiah(m): 11:22am On Aug 24, 2022
NasoLifeBe

Am with you, just want to dive into the business
Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 11:25am On Aug 24, 2022
Stop that nonsense..

I suffer Christmas period...

Man try the thing,bag of feed skyrocket....

December reach..nobody fit buy fowl 9k.....

I no wan talk the one wey die....

The one wey no grow reach their mate nko...

Dem no even tell me say fowl no dey sleep for darkness..

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by Tboymessiah(m): 11:28am On Aug 24, 2022
OyeofIkoTuN:
Stop that nonsense..

NasoLifeBe

My friend was complaining to me yesterday dat out 5o birds he started with 20 died there left with 30...

I was consoling him yesterday to take it as first time experience,

I never knew they don't sleep in darkness...

What advice can u give us, the new learner
Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by muyico(m): 12:44pm On Aug 24, 2022
Aboseday:
Nigerians love poultry meat, it is the third most consumed meat in Nigeria, after beef and goat meat, reports indicate that Nigerians consume over 1.5 million tons of poultry meat annually, and the demand for poultry eggs and meat continues to rise steadily. However, local production of poultry in Nigeria only meets about 30% of demand, while poultry imports meet up the rest of the demand. This clearly indicates that poultry farming in Nigeria is a highly lucrative field of agriculture that is still largely under-exploited in Nigeria. Thus, if you are thinking of starting a career in agriculture, you should definitely consider poultry farming.

Poultry farming refers to the raising of domestic birds like chicken, turkey, ducks etc for the purpose of producing meat, eggs, feathers and manure for human consumption and other purposes. It is a highly profitable venture with a lot of exciting opportunities, and if done right, you’ll be killing two birds with one stone– you will make a lot of profit due to high demand for poultry meat and eggs in Nigeria, and you’ll also be doing your part to ensure that local production of poultry meets demand, thus minimising importation of poultry products. If you want to get more insights about the facts, figures and statistics about poultry farming in Nigeria, read this blog post.

Continue reading this blog post if you want to learn about how to get started with poultry farming in Nigeria. It contains everything you need to know about starting a poultry farm in Nigeria.

HOW TO GET STARTED WITH POULTRY FARMING IN NIGERIA
- Learning About the Cost and Creating a Budget
- Choosing the Type of Bird to Rear
- Selecting A Suitable Farm Location for Poultry Farming in Nigeria
- Providing Good Housing or Shelter for Poultry Farming in Nigeria
- Free-range Poultry Housing System
- Semi-intensive Housing System
- Folding Unit System
- Intensive System
- Feeding And Caring for the Birds
- Marketing And Selling the Birds and Their Products

1. Learning About the Cost and Creating a Budget

The cost of starting and operating a poultry farm depends on the size of the farm and the scale of operations. A small-scale farm requires less capital due to the low cost of housing and feeding involved. Large scale poultry farms require well-constructed housing systems, large quantities of highly nutritious food and appropriate measures for disease and pest control which can be quite expensive. Before starting a poultry farm, decide the kind of farm you want to start, find out the cost of everything you need to start the farm and create a budget accordingly. You can start a small-scale poultry business in Nigeria with less than ....

Read more here: Poultry Farming in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by RichieMichie: 1:11pm On Aug 24, 2022
OyeofIkoTuN:
Stop that nonsense..

Your management was terrific, hence you got deaths and many uneven growths. You then proceeded to offer your birds at a ridiculous amount, and you expect people to patronize you?

Why should I buy your broiler that is prolly not more than 3kg for 9k when I nor dey crase ni

1 Like

Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by RichieMichie: 1:23pm On Aug 24, 2022
Tboymessiah:

NasoLifeBe

My friend was complaining to yesterday dat out 5o birds he started with 20 died there left with 30...

I was consoling him yesterday to take it as first time experience,

I never knew they don't sleep in darkness...

What advice can u give us, the new learner

Don't provide lighting and they'll sleep at night, but your birds won't grow fast. To sell at 5-6wks, birds need to feed for about 22hrs daily. Give them lighting with feed at night.

For your friend to record a whooping 40% dead, he did so many things wrong. His biosecurity was zero.

He needs to work on litter management, the major cause of disease and death in poultry if not properly mainaged

Then his drugs and vaccination schedule should be religiously followed. Wrong handling and administration of vaccine would lead to vaccine failure would lead to vaccine failure, and your birds can get infected with the diseases Vaccinated against.

Always always disinfect your hands and feet wears before entering your pen and handling poultry equipments. You must be an hygiene freak if you don't want to cry premium tears

2 Likes

Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by Tboymessiah(m): 1:40pm On Aug 24, 2022
RichieMichie:

Don't provide lighting and they'll sleep at night, but your birds won't grow fast. To sell at 5-6wks, birds need to feed for about 22hrs daily. Give them lighting with feed at night.

For your friend to record a whooping 40% dead, he did so many things wrong. His biosecurity was zero.

He needs to work on litter management, the major cause of disease and death in poultry if not properly mainaged

Then his drugs and vaccination schedule should be religiously followed. Wrong handling and administration of vaccine would lead to vaccine failure would lead to vaccine failure, and your birds can get infected with the diseases Vaccinated against.

Always always disinfect your hands and feet wears before entering your pen and handling poultry equipments. You must be an hygiene freak if you don't want to cry premium tears

NasoLifeBe!!!

He told me the bird was not given any vaccination, I think his mentor really did bad to him
Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 1:51pm On Aug 24, 2022
RichieMichie:

Your management was terrific, hence you got deaths and many uneven growths. You then proceeded to offer your birds at a ridiculous amount, and you expect people to patronize you?

Why should I buy your broiler that is prolly not more than 3kg for 9k when I nor dey crase ni

what..?

my fowl wey big Pass pitbull and lhasa..

gettat
Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by RichieMichie: 7:53am On Aug 25, 2022
Tboymessiah:

NasoLifeBe!!!

He told me the bird was not given any vaccination, I think his mentor really did bad to him

Really bad. Newcastle Disease and IBD are endemic in Nigeria, only a gambler don't vaccinate their birds against it.
Re: Poultry Farming In Nigeria: How To Get Started by TheLoanGuy: 10:59am On Aug 26, 2022
Hmmmm learning from all the contribution on this thread.

(1) (Reply)

Distress Sales For This Ram (Sold) / Point Of Lay Birds For Sale / What Is Bean Priliminary Cleaning And Bean Fine Cleaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.