Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,893 members, 7,834,964 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. (10568 Views)

How To Follow-Up On Job Applications / I Give Up On Job Hunt. I Received Two Regret Mails Same Day / See Nine (9) Dos And Don'ts While Going For A Teaching Job Interview In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by ireneidiva(f): 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2022
Chukdobz20:
This only apply to Nigeria the poverty capital of the world with high unemployment and under employment.

Here in Europe, employers literally slide into my LinkedIn message to sell open positions to me, some will even offer monetary benefits like signon bonus paid just to attract employees.

When I go to interviews here, I ask for water or tea whatever they have.. Interview is conducted as friendly chats with lots of jokes and humour. You have to tell them what you want to be paid and both parties can negotiate the salary.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria we are so timid with employees because the country is in total mess.

When I first arrived here, I addressed my boss as sir until one day he corrected me to address him by his first name. You are not obligated to greet anyone first.. Even bossess say hi to employees without expecting the employee to greet first..

Nigeria is in deep shit. We need to emancipate ourselves socially, mentally, economically, politically, religiously.
I've attended similar interviews in Nigeria where everyone is friendly and free. There are also companies in Nigeria where everyone is addressed by their first names.

2 Likes

Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by muyico(m): 2:54pm On Aug 30, 2022
KennieP:
If you are invited for a job interview, at the entrance of the gate or within the Organization's premises:

1.Politely greet everybody. I have seen MDs and Managers disguise and stand at the gate to observe interviewees.

2. Do not go inside and start charging your phone or begin to look for where to charge your phone.

3. Do not go inside and begin to chat with your phone or make unnecessary calls. Put the phone inside your bag. They could be monitoring you through the camera.

4. Avoid too much talk with fellow interviewees. Don't go there and begin to argue about the government of the day, escalated food prices and even lack of employment opportunities. Just be calm and positive.

5. Don't start praying and speaking in tongues to demonstrate your religiosity and closeness to God. Pray at home before going.

6. If they offer you Tea or food, Please reject it politely and thank them. You can take after the interview. If you take that Tea or food, you are out.

7. Don't chew gum, biscuit or anything. Go with a book and be reading it.

8. Never ever criticise your previous employer.

9. If you see somebody you know in the Organization, either as a staff or a fellow interviewee, greet him officially. Avoid creating an impression that you know him.

10. Do not appear too Poor, helpless and inferior before the interviewer. Forget about Nigeria problems, your personal and family problems. Focus on the job.

11. After the interview, put up a smiling face, thank them and leave.

In most cases, interviewers assess and score interviewees by the factors above and not necessarily by the answers they provide on paper. They'll train you eventually to do the job if they employ you. #copied
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by ibawon(m): 4:25pm On Aug 30, 2022
All this rules for a job that probably won't pay more than $400 a month. It is well
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by Emmyvics: 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2022
SalemIfeanyi1:
hahahahahahaha
Wahahla be like rejecting tea when dem neva employ u sef grin grin grin
Hahaha. Me na to drink the tea even ask for#200 bread. Incase them no employ me. Make my transport no waste.

2 Likes

Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by OtopDesign(m): 4:36pm On Aug 30, 2022
all these stress for a job dat dey will b paying u 50k...I remember I went for an interview for a food technologist at Yaba.... after almost 30min interview....I was offered 55k Monday till Saturday 7am-7pm.... which kind useless work b that...omo I japa comot
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by Donjuan77: 6:55pm On Aug 30, 2022
Which state in Nigeria are you from, do you have a collateral?
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by Senoye: 7:12pm On Aug 30, 2022
I have worked in a few companies before. When you meet an interviewer that is harsh and takes life too serious and finds fault in everything you do, it is a red flag for the company. You will see people that will waste your time from morning till evening and without apology. Especially for experienced roles, do not be desperate. If the timing of the interview is not good for, feel free to ask for it to be changed. If they offer you tea, feel free to take it. If you don't understand a question, feel free to ask the interviewer to take it again. Be confident in your speech.

For non experienced candidates, this may not be for you in our today's world. Just adhere to many of those dos and don'ts. It is better to be safe than to be sorry. All the best
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by Senoye: 7:24pm On Aug 30, 2022
[quote author=KennieP post=116186240]If you are invited for a job interview, at the entrance of the gate or within the Organization's premises:

1.Valid.

2. No big deal, if you have a flat battery, politely request for a place to charge your phone. No reasonable employer will disqualify you based on that.

3. And so what? Why should your phone be inside your bag if you are to attend to important mails or calls. Take your calls politely. Only during the interview you shouldn't do that.

4. Don't argue, Yes. But you can talk with your fellow interviewees and even staff you meet on ground. Just be polite

5. Valid.

6. Na lie. While I will say it is better to eat after the interview, but sometimes the circumstances warrant that you take something before you go for interview. I offer interviewees tea and snacks if they come so early and it has nothing to do with their interview performance. However, if you must eat, make sure you are not dipping bread inside tea or careless to the extent that your clothes get stained.

7. I agree. It is better to take a book to read. I do that a lot.

8. Valid point, no matter how they pressed you. Do not talk ill of your past employer, it is a red flag

9. Valid too. You can do that virtually and not in person

10. Do not appear too Poor, helpless and inferior before the interviewer. Forget about Nigeria problems, your personal and family problems. Focus on the job. Fantastic point. Don't appear too desperate. Desperation doesn't give you room for negotiation and it takes away your confidence, which will be so obvious

11. After the interview, put up a smiling face, thank them and leave. Great too.

There are no hard and fast rules for interviews. Just be prepared and be confident.
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by hardon1(m): 7:47pm On Aug 30, 2022
When I saw, if they give you something to eat , don't collect. I was just laughing within me, as of na me send them message

I was waiting for where the poster will say ' if they give you transport fare, don't collect? I for slap am trough this phone now
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by adefitim(m): 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2022
saxtaiwo:
The economic and job situation in Nigeria is in total chaotic mess. How do you imagine what Nigerians go through in the hands of interviewers. Imagine going for an interview they called 9am and will still not be attended to by 4pm and at the end they will say they are testing your patience and it's part of the interview. My greatest worry is this CV of a thing. I really can't tell the best format for CV writing, we keep hearing of different styles everyday. Until we turn to a productive country where more and better jobs will be created this nonsense won't stop.
Please greet everybody on the street of the company your going for interview. Greet the dogs too.

Sire, you crack me up �
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by adefitim(m): 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2022
This will surely prepare me
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by kingPhidel(m): 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2022
You see that number 7b ehh grin grin someone who’s not use to reading will look hypocritical. Anyways good update
saxtaiwo:
The economic and job situation in Nigeria is in total chaotic mess. How do you imagine what Nigerians go through in the hands of interviewers. Imagine going for an interview they called 9am and will still not be attended to by 4pm and at the end they will say they are testing your patience and it's part of the interview. My greatest worry is this CV of a thing. I really can't tell the best format for CV writing, we keep hearing of different styles everyday. Until we turn to a productive country where more and better jobs will be created this nonsense won't stop.
Please greet everybody on the street of the company your going for interview. Greet the dogs too.
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by Chukdobz20: 9:56pm On Aug 30, 2022
ireneidiva:

I've attended similar interviews in Nigeria where everyone is friendly and free. There are also companies in Nigeria where everyone is addressed by their first names.

Quite agree with you but with all my experience till I left the country I never experienced such a friendly and free work environment.

I'm not generalizing but it's quite rampant.
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by HELLASJ(m): 10:25pm On Aug 30, 2022
So insightful
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by nony43(m): 4:06am On Aug 31, 2022
Chukdobz20:
This only apply to Nigeria the poverty capital of the world with high unemployment and under employment.

Here in Europe, employers literally slide into my LinkedIn message to sell open positions to me, some will even offer monetary benefits like signon bonus paid just to attract employees.

When I go to interviews here, I ask for water or tea whatever they have.. Interview is conducted as friendly chats with lots of jokes and humour. You have to tell them what you want to be paid and both parties can negotiate the salary.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria we are so timid with employees because the country is in total mess.

When I first arrived here, I addressed my boss as sir until one day he corrected me to address him by his first name. You are not obligated to greet anyone first.. Even bossess say hi to employees without expecting the employee to greet first..

Nigeria is in deep shit. We need to emancipate ourselves socially, mentally, economically, politically, religiously.

You are right. I don’t greet my boss most time.
Re: Some Dos And Don't On Job Interview. by drphantom: 6:04am On Aug 31, 2022
KennieP:
If you are invited for a job interview, at the entrance of the gate or within the Organization's premises:

1.Politely greet everybody. I have seen MDs and Managers disguise and stand at the gate to observe interviewees.

2. Do not go inside and start charging your phone or begin to look for where to charge your phone.

3. Do not go inside and begin to chat with your phone or make unnecessary calls. Put the phone inside your bag. They could be monitoring you through the camera.

4. Avoid too much talk with fellow interviewees. Don't go there and begin to argue about the government of the day, escalated food prices and even lack of employment opportunities. Just be calm and positive.

5. Don't start praying and speaking in tongues to demonstrate your religiosity and closeness to God. Pray at home before going.

6. If they offer you Tea or food, Please reject it politely and thank them. You can take after the interview. If you take that Tea or food, you are out.

7. Don't chew gum, biscuit or anything. Go with a book and be reading it.

8. Never ever criticise your previous employer.

9. If you see somebody you know in the Organization, either as a staff or a fellow interviewee, greet him officially. Avoid creating an impression that you know him.

10. Do not appear too Poor, helpless and inferior before the interviewer. Forget about Nigeria problems, your personal and family problems. Focus on the job.

11. After the interview, put up a smiling face, thank them and leave.

In most cases, interviewers assess and score interviewees by the factors above and not necessarily by the answers they provide on paper. They'll train you eventually to do the job if they employ you. #copied

Largely inaccurate in my opinion.

Any organization that has an MD who thinks standing by the gate to observe how I enter is being small minded and I would not want to work for such an organization. The tendency would be for them to be authoritatrian and invasive of my personal space and life.

If I need to charge my phone while waking at an interview, there is absolutely nothing wrong with politely asking the secretary if I may use their socket to charge my phone. Also nothing wrong with using my phone while waiting to be interviewed: I could be responding to important emails or researching the company.

The basic rules for interview taking is be polite and cordial and circumspect. Ask yourself how what you are about to do portrays you in the eyes of a potential interviewer.

You will not find KPMG, of MICROSOFT Nigeria subscribing to these rules

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Got 4 Missed Calls From Etisalat / NEW Job Recruitment Company for NIGERIANS, AMERICANS and CANADIANS / Fubk Is Calling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.