Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,416 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning (1877 Views)

Food Seller Runs Ma.d In UNIPORT, Confesses That He Uses His Shit To Cook / Redeemer's University Slashes Postgraduate Fees, Msc. & MA Now Tuition Free / Who Knows This Guy On Youtube? I Have Questions [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by EndSARS77: 9:19pm On Sep 04, 2022
This is a question that has been on my mind for a long time now. Please who knows why Nigerians are always forced to add "sir" or "ma" to greetings. I will be moving into a house where the landlord is staying very soon... so that is why I've come here for advice on this question. By the way with the population explosion in Nigeria, it took me 5 days of listening to "no vacancy". My leg started paining me as a result of the trekking (which has never happened before in my life). By the way I think Nigeria should adopt the 1 Child To One Family formula just like China to curb this problem. So who knows why Nigerians are always forced to add "sir" or "ma" even after greeting... while striking conversations with certain kinds of people
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by fman(m): 9:23pm On Sep 04, 2022
Cos, we where colonized by the British.
That's The way a Briton greets

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by alhajidembele: 9:31pm On Sep 04, 2022
A British citizen, Naomi Dray-Sokeyo, shares with BAYO AKINLOYE her views about Nigeria and the things that fascinate her about the country:
https://punchng.com/i-have-learnt-to-say-a-lot-of-sir-ma-dray-sokeyo/?amp
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by EndSARS77: 9:40pm On Sep 04, 2022
fman:
Cos, we where colonized by the British.
That's The way a Briton greets
That's not what my father told me. My father told me that we use "sir" for our seniors (anybody that is older than you) as a form of respect. I asked him alot of questions and gave alot of examples regarding this issue, which he was not able to provide an answer that satisfied my curiosity. That is why I have come to nairaland with this question. OK, so if there is a job interview and somebody who is older than you (or your senior) is less qualified than you (he left university with 3rd class while you left with first class). Will they give him the job, simply because he is older than you? Obviously not. Thanks for the reply anyway
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by fman(m): 5:27am On Sep 05, 2022
EndSARS77:

That's not what my father told me. My father told me that we use "sir" for our seniors (anybody that is older than you) as a form of respect. I asked him alot of questions and gave alot of examples regarding this issue, which he was not able to provide an answer that satisfied my curiosity. That is why I have come to nairaland with this question. OK, so if there is a job interview and somebody who is older than you (or your senior) is less qualified than you (he left university with 3rd class while you left with first class). Will they give him the job, simply because he is older than you? Obviously not. Thanks for the reply anyway
You just beat around the bush.
Sir,
Has nothing to do with age.
Remember , it's only a title for recognition

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by BeanmanX(m): 5:48am On Sep 05, 2022
We use sir and ma for our elders,,, especially our parents.. simple

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by superCleanworks(m): 7:16am On Sep 05, 2022
EndSARS77:
This is a question that has been on my mind for a long time now. Please who knows why Nigerians are always forced to add "sir" or "ma" to greetings. I will be moving into a house where the landlord is staying very soon... so that is why I've come here for advice on this question. By the way with the population explosion in Nigeria, it took me 5 days of listening to "no vacancy". My leg started paining me as a result of the trekking (which has never happened before in my life). By the way I think Nigeria should adopt the 1 Child To One Family formula just like China to curb this problem. So who knows why Nigerians are always forced to add "sir" or "ma" even after greeting... while striking conversations with certain kinds of people

greeting, vacancy, leg pain, population, birth rate
how many problems are you trying to tackle? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by l69l: 7:28am On Sep 05, 2022
Nigerians are very RESPECTFUL grin grin
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 05, 2022
That was how we learnt to greet Europeans. Most of the colonisers were knights and Lords you have to add sir when you talk to them

1 Like

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by beautyhd: 8:04am On Sep 05, 2022
If your Mother’s name is Tope Seun, you can either say good morning ma or good morning Mrs Seun.

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by whirlwind7(m): 9:09am On Sep 05, 2022
EndSARS77:

Same reason you use "please" to begin the topic of this thread, when you don't need to.

Who are you begging?
Why do you beg?
What are you begging for?

Stop grovelling, and be the master of your space.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by GodWrites: 10:19am On Sep 05, 2022
That's why I love Americans. Even a CEO will tell you to call him or her by their first name...
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by Ulunne777(f): 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2022
You are still growing.wait until you get to where you must call Daddy or Mummy to ppl you don't know even those with despicable characters just to be in their good books
I really detest this shi I and I can't even explain the mindset of whoever started it,really took sycophancy and asslicking to a new level.Whether it is spiritual parents or Workplace parents.
Except my biologicalparents,I don't want to call anybody Daddy or mummy please.It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Sir or Ma is just good.worked with an Italian company for years,you address them by their names but since civil service happened,Tufiakwa!

Aargh.
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by Ethanuella: 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2022
superCleanworks:

greeting, vacancy, leg pain, population, birth rate
how many problems are you trying to tackle? grin

Wicked grin grin grin
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2022
Uhmmm...

It's English..

It's not necessary in igboland since we don't use it and it doesn't really apply to our custom greetings..

Easy like Uncle ogbuefi...Not uncle ogbuefi sir..

same with Aiyetoro in Kogi state,Morning it's Okun oo and evening is Ekun ooo
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by Connected1: 1:36pm On Sep 05, 2022
British Colonization.

Nothing Else.
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by Moh247: 1:41pm On Sep 05, 2022
Sir is a British honour granted by the Queen, Ma is a short for Madam

When you speak English you use British courtesy

1 Like

Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by HarlequinLekex: 1:48pm On Sep 05, 2022
Respect or call it African respect
Re: Please Who Knows Why We Nigerians Add "Sir" Or "Ma" To Good Morning by Jamesbiodun(m): 2:09pm On Sep 05, 2022
It's just an act of respect to someone in a position higher than you...

(1) (Reply)

Any Info About University Of Lagos Part Time Studies? / Now Get Lagos State Polytechnic Form, Yabatech, And Ibadan Polytechnic Form .... / Delta State Poly Ozoro Admission List 2015/2016 Out. Check HERE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.