Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,301 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? (1553 Views)

Travel, Back To A City We Love Dearly / How Do I Travel Back To Nigeria With My Baby? / Can I Travel Back Home Next Year With The Nigerian Old Passport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? by akagwu8: 7:21pm On Aug 10, 2011
Hey guys,
I'm a Nigerian-born UK citizen having lived in UK all my life minus the first 10 months or so. I arrived in Nigeria on July 13th this year and I'm due to leave on August 16th morning, 6 days away. Upon arriving in Nigeria, I was told that I need an e-passport to leave the country.My passport runs till april 2012, but due to stipulations in place now technically invalid. I did not show immigration my British passport so they may be unaware that I'm dual nationality.
My e-passport will not start processing till thursday so i may not recieve my passport by the monday as i travel tuesday morning.
My question is when trying to travel back to UK,am I likely to be stopped from getting on my flight if my e-passport doesn't come in time even though I hold a valid UK passport?
Re: Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 10, 2011
^^^ If your UK passport is still valid, you can't be prevented from leaving Nigeria. I can't understand why you're attempting to leave Nigeria to the UK with your Nigerian passport. Even if it were a valid e-passport, you'd need a valid UK visa to fly to the United Kingdom. People with dual citizenship, holding both UK and Nigerian passports travel to Nigeria, showing their Nigerian passport on departure, and do the same with the UK one when returning.

You're doing things back to front, and I honestly can't understand why.
Re: Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? by aroy1: 2:28am On Aug 11, 2011
akagwu8

Do you have the old, non-biometrics based Nigerian passport? You should easily be able to get your epassport in 2days if you go to any of the Immigration offices, see one of the bosses, and explain your situation. You might have to appreciate their help, though. I would do that if I were you. Since you were told to have a valid passport when flying back, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Re: Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? by akagwu8: 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2011
siena, what i was saying was that when i was arriving in nigeria, i presented my nigerian passport to them.
On my way back, i will use my british passport, but last time when I produced my British passport, they said tehy require proof of how I was allowed stay in Nigeria so I had to bring out my Nigerian passport. My fear is that at the airport, because my Nigerian passport is invalid, I'm not allowed to leave

Aroy1, I'll try my best to get express processing but my dad's paying for the new e-passport and he's convinced that even if my passports don't arrive in time, things will be OK
Re: Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 11, 2011
^^^ Oh, I get you. Well, if they merely need proof of how you entered Nigeria, and were allowed to stay, presenting your old non e-passport should suffice. Because presenting a new e-passport won't show your entry. Technically, it'll be valid, but not for what the authorities need it for. The date will be well ahead of your entry.

By all means, if your e-passport will put your mind at rest, fine. But I believe presenting the old one, together with your British one will be fine.
Re: Will They Let Me Travel Back To The Uk? by N101: 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2011
akagwu8:

Hey guys,
I'm a Nigerian-born UK citizen having lived in UK all my life minus the first 10 months or so. I arrived in Nigeria on July 13th this year and I'm due to leave on August 16th morning, 6 days away. Upon arriving in Nigeria, I was told that I need an e-passport to leave the country.My passport runs till april 2012, but due to stipulations in place now technically invalid. I did not show immigration my British passport so they may be unaware that I'm dual nationality.
My e-passport will not start processing till thursday so i may not recieve my passport by the monday as i travel tuesday morning.
My question is when trying to travel back to UK,am I likely to be stopped from getting on my flight if my e-passport doesn't come in time even though I hold a valid UK passport?

I'm puzzled. There was information all over the place about the fact that the old passports were being replaced with e-passports and that those with the old passports should have them replaced before travelling. Were you not aware of this?

(1) (Reply)

Directions To Accra Ghana From Lagos Nigeria By Road. / I Need Help Finding My Way To An Address In Lagos / Lets Help Someone Travelling Abroad With This Information.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.