Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (17952 Views)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? / Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
The new Lagos State Tenancy law has been generating a lot of debate since it was enacted by the Lagos State House of Assembly last Friday from today, we begin the serialisation of the entire law:

or a law to regulate rights and obligations under tenancy agreements and the relationship between the Landlord and the tenant including the procedure for the recovery of premises and for other connected purposes in Lagos State

The Lagos State Hosue of Assembly enacts as follows:

General Application

1. Application of Law

2. (1) This Law shall apply to all premises within Lagos State, including business and residential premises unless otherwise specified

(2) This Law shall not apply to :

(a) residential premises owned or operated by an educational institution for its staff and students;

(b) residential premises provided for emergency shelter;

(c ) Residential premises

(i) in a care or hospice facility;

(ii) in a public or private hospital or a mental health facility; and

(d) that is made available in the course of providing rehabilitative or therapeutic treatment.

2. Jurisdiction of the Courts

(1) A Court shall have jurisdiction on application made to it by a landlord or tenant or any interested person to determine matters in respect of the tenancy of any premises let before or after the commencement of this Law.

(2) The jurisdiction of a Court shall not be ousted by the defendant or respondent setting up the title of any other party.

(3) Proceedings may be brought under this Law at the High Court or at the Magistrates’ Court in the division or the Magisterial District in which the subject matter giving rise to the proceedings is located.

(4) Subject to the provision of this Law, a Court shall be bound by the practice and procedure in civil matters in the Magistrates’ Court or the High Court of Lagos State.

3. Tenancy Agreement

visit the link below line here to see full details

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by oluwabamis(m): 8:31pm On Aug 17, 2011
just guess who will suffer the new law, yeah , the tenant. Landlords will still find a way of increasing the rent without the tenant realizing it. for example if it cost 120k per annum for a 3bd room flat, since the landlord is not allowed to collect more than 3 mth advance rent, he can decide to collect 40k for the 3 months instead of 30k. The tenant also see it as being easy to pay compared to 120k. unknown to the tenant he will be paying 40k extra at the end of the year. since there is no law which stipulate how much i can collect on my house. This has further impoverish the average tenant in lagos.
Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by fuqua: 8:45pm On Aug 17, 2011
As a landlord, i will be adjusting the rent for inflation periodically grin
Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by lightshine(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2011
@newspump, please can you send me the link to the full text of the Lagos Tenancy Law.
pls send to netlinke@gmail.com

Will appreciate that
thanks
Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by babylawyr(f): 11:18am On Sep 07, 2011
are these areas exempted from the provisions of the Tenancy law, Ikoyi, Victoria Island and Apapa?
i jst read smwhere that dey are

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109060233392
newspump:

The new Lagos State Tenancy law has been generating a lot of debate since it was enacted by the Lagos State House of Assembly last Friday from today, we begin the serialisation of the entire law:

or a law to regulate rights and obligations under tenancy agreements and the relationship between the Landlord and the tenant including the procedure for the recovery of premises and for other connected purposes in Lagos State

The Lagos State Hosue of Assembly enacts as follows:

General Application

1. Application of Law

2. (1) This Law shall apply to all premises within Lagos State, including business and residential premises unless otherwise specified

(2) This Law shall not apply to :

(a) residential premises owned or operated by an educational institution for its staff and students;

(b) residential premises provided for emergency shelter;

(c ) Residential premises

(i) in a care or hospice facility;

(ii) in a public or private hospital or a mental health facility; and

(d) that is made available in the course of providing rehabilitative or therapeutic treatment.

2. Jurisdiction of the Courts

(1) A Court shall have jurisdiction on application made to it by a landlord or tenant or any interested person to determine matters in respect of the tenancy of any premises let before or after the commencement of this Law.

(2) The jurisdiction of a Court shall not be ousted by the defendant or respondent setting up the title of any other party.

(3) Proceedings may be brought under this Law at the High Court or at the Magistrates’ Court in the division or the Magisterial District in which the subject matter giving rise to the proceedings is located.

(4) Subject to the provision of this Law, a Court shall be bound by the practice and procedure in civil matters in the Magistrates’ Court or the High Court of Lagos State.

3. Tenancy Agreement

visit the link below line here to see full details

1 Like

Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by alice44: 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2012
It is quite a pity that laws are made and there is no implementation. Recently, my husband and I decided to rent a residential house in Isolo, Lagos state. After being told that the house was worth N600,000 per annum , we made payments to the account. To our surprise the agent paid the money back to our account stating that we are require to pay for two years and an additional N120,000 for the agent and the lawyer who is to prepare the agreement and this amount is also payable for two years( i.e. [/color][color=#990000]]N240,000). After pleading, the agent decided to take the rent for one year but agency and lawyer fees for 2 years. We decided to forget about the house but after looking desperately without getting another house, we decided to go back to the agent. This time he agreed to collect rent for a year and agency for a year but stated that we had to pay what he termed 'refundable damage fee' which was an additional N200,000 in case we damage anything in the house during the tenancy. This sounded ridiculous to me making the total package N930, 000 per annum for a house that is originally N600,000 per annum.
Now i understand that the law also seeks to punish the tenant who pays in violation of the law. I hope the so call refundable damage fee is backed by law because we may be forced to pay as my husband and i are desperate to get a house. I am 8 months pregnant and need a home to raise my child and since the so called law is not being implemented, i cannot have my kid on the streets of Lagos. i hope that is a defence in any case.
Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by wtoleader(m): 1:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
this is naija! i m lso plagued by dis issue now.
Re: See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text by Fridaychinyere(m): 3:25pm On Oct 13, 2013
With 1 million naira you can own a land here in Lagos, with 3million you can own a plot of land with with a 3 bad room flat of your own. So why wasting your money on landlord,s take a bold step today, you have the money but you don,t have the information some one have to put you true, you can own a complect house within 2months, i can help you if you trust yourself. My number is 08033737818. Why don,t you give it a try today come and see yourself.

(1) (Reply)

VATICAN GARDEN ESTATE ENUGU, BY CENTENARY. JUST BUY AND BUILD! / Platinum Regal Estate (near Isheri North) Still On Sales (with Picture Gallery) / Construction Diary Of Six Units Of Three Bedroom Flats At Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.