Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants (12612 Views)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by itiswell1(m): 7:00pm On Sep 07, 2011
A Lagos landlord, Nurudeen Ogunade of 3, Alhaji Saka Street, Ilasamaja, Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria, may be putting to test the newly signed tenancy law when he ejected 18 tenants yesterday with the aid of thugs and hoodlums.

One of the tenants, Mrs. Mosunmola Adagunduro, a trader who raised the alarm, said she was at Oshodi when someone informed her that thugs, hoodlums and fake policemen were at her residence in an apparent move to eject all the tenants in the 18-room storey building.

“I had to abandon what I was doing at Oshodi market and rushed home. I met other tenants outside the house, their properties and mine have already been vandalised by the thugs,” Mrs. Adagunduro told P.M.NEWS this morning.

According to her, items lost to hoodlums include jewellery, clothes, phones, laptop, a travelling bag and N500,000 cash her children gave to her to rent another house.

Other tenants in the house also claimed they lost sums of money ranging from N115,000 to N1.2 million to the invaders.

A widow, Mrs. Anike Adegoke, said the N1.2 million was donated to her to complete her husband’s building when he died a few months ago.

The total money lost to the thugs was N3.9 million, according to claims the tenants made at the Area ‘D’ Police Headquarters, Mushin, Lagos, where the matter was reported.

Narrating her ordeal to P.M.NEWS, Mrs. Adegoke said she was in the room when the thugs rushed in, threatened to break her head with a hammer after which they bundled her out of the room.

She said: “They claimed they were from Alausa with an instruction from Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola to demolish the house.”

The landlord, Nurudeen Ogunade, was promptly arrested and detained at the police headquarters.

The investigating police officer, simply called Corporal Emeka, said the landlord claimed those who carried out the demolition were from Alausa secretariat, Ikeja and that the state governor was aware of the exercise.

Meanwhile, Ogunade was still with the police as at press time this afternoon.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/09/07/landlord-tests-lagos-tenancy-law-ejects-18-tenants/
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by seedord247(m): 3:33am On Sep 08, 2011
another means of getting money. . .  the landlord don die
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by ShipIt(m): 4:57am On Sep 08, 2011
They sabi write law but they no fit enforce am
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by itiswell1(m): 6:27am On Sep 08, 2011
My rent go soon expire o.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by lagcity(m): 7:32am On Sep 08, 2011
very dumb move on the part of the landlord. the tenants will sue the pants off this landlord. see how much money tenants are claiming they lost.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by brainpulse: 8:02am On Sep 08, 2011
A lesson to the other LandLords

Nigerian Landlords dont know that God has Given them just a priviledge to accomodate other people but they have turn to gods to terrorize other people.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by sayso: 8:07am On Sep 08, 2011
They all had all those money in the house and refuse to pay.A good lawyer will skin them with that.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by harpo(m): 8:18am On Sep 08, 2011
let us see what fashola will do, this will b a good test for him and if he fails the whole tenancy policy fails too
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by docjuli(m): 8:35am On Sep 08, 2011
sayso:

They all had all those money in the house and refuse to pay.A good lawyer will skin them with that.

", N500,000 cash her children gave to her to rent another house."

"A widow, Mrs. Anike Adegoke, said the N1.2 million was donated to her to complete her husband’s building when he died a few months ago."
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 08, 2011
Stupid Landlord. The tenants had millions at home and did not want to pay rent. Both the landlord and tenants are criminals. It is when u deal with a stupid tenant they start to complain, but when they don't pay rent u will not hear anything. I have about three tenants that have not paid their rent now for about 8months and they don't still want to leave the house.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 08, 2011
Serve them with quit notice in a legal and fair way that even their fellow tenant will bear witness against them
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by mulumele(m): 8:51am On Sep 08, 2011
I pity this landlord. He is going to be the guinea pig for this tenancy law.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 08, 2011
'Serve them with quit notice in a legal and fair way that even their fellow tenant will bear witness against them'

They have all been served with quit notice and still refuse to leave. They want to go to court. Even one of them had the guts to tell me that he will report to the government if I forcefully eject him.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Knight1(m): 9:06am On Sep 08, 2011
mulumele:

I pity this landlord. He is going to be the guinea pig for this tenancy law.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
E DON BE FOR THE GUY
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by kcpumping(m): 9:19am On Sep 08, 2011
@ topic;landlord test fashola on tenancy law, bt @ d end d lord said fashola sent people to come and demolish d house,even d said lord is in police custody.which do we accept pls
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by femzy11: 9:23am On Sep 08, 2011
Roll the carpet. Let the enforcement of the tenancy law begin.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by dustydee: 9:27am On Sep 08, 2011
How can they verify the missing money claims now? Chai the landlord don chop gbese.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by blank(f): 10:03am On Sep 08, 2011
The only way he can pay them back the money that was stolen is by allowing them to live rent free in the house till their money expires. grin Really wish i could follow up on this case so as to know the outcome.

The landlord did not tell us whether the tenants refused to pay (as in owed him rent) or they said they would only pay 6 months first. Also, i think there is a fine if the landlord forcefully ejects a sitting tenant.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by stagger: 10:22am On Sep 08, 2011
E be like say this landlord wan make BRF use am open show!h
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by DAY12(m): 10:26am On Sep 08, 2011
Very funny! grin grin grin grin grin grin

I swear am still laughing my azz out!
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by aribisala0(m): 10:33am On Sep 08, 2011
DID THEY ARREST THE THUGS?
this is simply a case of unknown thugs grin grin
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by bossinie: 10:41am On Sep 08, 2011
docjuli:

", N500,000 cash her children gave to her to rent another house."

"A widow, Mrs. Anike Adegoke, said the N1.2 million was donated to her to complete her husband’s building when he died a few months ago."
It is obligatory NOT mandatory for you to renew your house rent 'if' and 'as at' when it expires particularly when available funds have been earmarked for a better 'housing deal' for you and your family.To now suggest that any lawyer will have a field day defending the Landlord in this case who out-rightly has violated the laws of the land is a bit of ignorant reasoning.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Ournaija: 11:11am On Sep 08, 2011
Lagos thugs sabi do this kine job pass soldiers wink

I sure say the yeye landlord has no knowledge of the tenancy law.

See as wicked tenants pile up debts for the foolish man to pay shocked
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Bestglo(f): 11:19am On Sep 08, 2011
This landlord will be used to put this new tenacy law to test grin grin
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by peleson: 11:22am On Sep 08, 2011
@abujazz, have seen ur ad. just apply thru this link>>>www.1jobnigeria.com
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Johnpaul2k2(m): 11:23am On Sep 08, 2011
Lagos and it's devilish act sef angry angry angry
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 08, 2011
na wa ooo, na wa for African people
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by norrisman: 11:38am On Sep 08, 2011
Well done Mr Ogunade! You will soon regain your freedom that is if you havent alreadyas I type this. All these knobs claiming rule of law better understand that it works both way. If you understand the law, you will know that Mr Ogunade will be released on bail and  the case will carry on in court. But the most important thing is that he has evicted all the low lifes who refused to pay his rent.

When Mr Ogunade was toiling to build his house where was the government? Where were the lowlifes posing as tenants? Now you want to deprive the man of his livelyhood. Look at the amount the illiterate lowlifes had at home and yet did not want to pay the old mans rent. Woe unto them!

Kudos to you Mr Ogunade for championing the cause of landlords all over Lagos state. These scenes will be repeated all over Lagos state and the thieving government of the overhyped buffon go tire.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Ournaija: 11:55am On Sep 08, 2011
norrisman:

Well done Mr Ogunade! You will soon regain your freedom that is if you havent alreadyas I type this. All these knobs claiming rule of law better understand that it works both way. If you understand the law, you will know that Mr Ogunade will be released on bail and  the case will carry on in court. But the most important thing is that he has evicted all the low lifes who refused to pay his rent.

When Mr Ogunade was toiling to build his house where was the government? Where were the lowlifes posing as tenants? Now you want to deprive the man of his livelyhood. Look at the amount the illiterate lowlifes had at home and yet did not want to pay the old mans rent. Woe unto them!

Kudos to you Mr Ogunade for championing the cause of landlords all over Lagos state. These scenes will be repeated all over Lagos state and the thieving government of the overhyped buffon go tire.

@norrisman
Are you sure you typed the above?
Your Mr. Ogunade goofed (behaved like an area boy animal) and you are here praising him. Because someone is owing rent, you now want all the landlords to take the law into their hands. The bad news is that the matter will be taken to court (you know how slow our justice system is) and the tenants will live for FREE as long as the case last. Your Mr. Ogunade will be made to pay for all their claims if found guilty, he might even loose the house in the process. I think you might be a landlord or you parents are. My parents have houses where people live and are paying nothing. They are only interested in the ownership of the place not making it a money making machine. They just want people to occupy the place. Even one of the tenants who packed out is yet to clear his properties. The good thing is that my parents have been able to establish good relationship with them. One of them even gave me a link that earned me big cash.

I hope you would have learnt one or two things from this. Dont take laws into your hands. Go to court if you are aggrieved with anyone.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by hbrednic: 12:21pm On Sep 08, 2011
No govt should dictate to you how to run your business,
Nigerian tenants are very wicked,my people just build and sell off,end the story,TENANCY LAW MY AXXE
let BFH provide the mass sheltering thats required of him, afer-all Jakande did it with a slimmer income.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by baslone: 12:40pm On Sep 08, 2011
All these Men wey inherit houses built in the early 60"s sef!!!

Make the man sell the house, pay up for stolen items and go to jail! Chikena!

When he eventually returns without a home, he can take up a small space in a grounded bus under Oshodi bridge!

Things You Need To Know Before Building: / Lagos State Seals 10 Buildings For Violation Of Planning Laws / Promo!!! Casa-Villa Estate, Magboro Now Selling 2m, Buy Now Get 2 Bags Of Rice!