Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,460 members, 7,850,607 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:42 AM

Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? (1849 Views)

Can A Southern President Do To Kano What Was Done To Lagos?! / What I Expect Nigerian Workers Would Say About Tha Minimum Wage – Saraki / PMB IN KANO: What Happens In Kano Is More Than Lock Down, It's a Tsunami ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:05pm On Sep 15, 2022
So i go this job in Kano, the pay is actually 2 times more than my current job.

My major problem is the language, since i cant speak Hausa or fulani, will it be hard for me to communicate with the populace?

I do not enjoy telling people that i do not speak their language.
I had it tough when i was in Anambra.
whenever u want to buy something, the cashier will first speak igbo.

Also what is life like in Kano (the capital), as someone from the Niger delta region, what kind of life should i expect over there?
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Danybest: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2022
Bandits
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by onomeabuja: 5:13pm On Sep 15, 2022
Vote Atiku there or......., grin

1 Like

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by MasterJayJay: 5:14pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:

My major problem is the language, since i cant speak Hausa or fulani, will it be hard for me to communicate with the populace?

Also what is life like in Kano (the capital), as someone from the Niger delta region, what kind of life should i expect over there?

Who doesn't understand pidgin English?
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by lhordspy: 5:16pm On Sep 15, 2022
Bb
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Chinjo2: 5:17pm On Sep 15, 2022
Kano is a very nice place to be. Cost of living is relatively cheap however, be prepared to pay high rent because cost of accommodation is high in Sabon gari except you want to stay in house populated area where the rent is cheap but any slight provocation, they will use you as suya. Just find a house in Sabon Gari and you will sometimes forget you are in the north. Enough beer, women, suya, clubbing etc. You will end up living the town.

5 Likes

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:17pm On Sep 15, 2022
MasterJayJay:

Who doesn't understand pidgin English?
i just do not want people speaking hausa to me on daily basis.
Trust me, i have seen northern people in Rivers state that do not understand pidgin.

At least in Anambra, once they know u are not igbo, they will change to pidgin.

I cannot enter a bike and drop cos the driver doesnt understand pidgin na.
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by HenryTimes: 5:17pm On Sep 15, 2022
Fear Not. If you know, you know
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by iamwilliamsfx(m): 5:20pm On Sep 15, 2022
Why are igbos afraid of hausas And hausas afraid of igbos I thought we are in one Nigeria Comrade

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2022
Nothing to worry about, just find people who speak English or pidgin, when you need help.

Humans are humans, stay away from religious conversations tho..

Northerners mind their business so you're good. If you a southerner, get ready for worse sun, when it's not raining.

Atiku is coming

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:25pm On Sep 15, 2022
Thinkam:
Nothing to worry about, just find people who speak English or pidgin, when you need help.

Northerners mind their business so you're good. If you a southerner, get ready for worse sun, when it's not raining.

Atiku is coming
i do not discuss religion, infact it bores me.

But u see that politics, i might forget myself and call Atiku a thief.

And bam, the next thing u will hear is "justice for michelle70"

God epp me sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Teetee777: 5:25pm On Sep 15, 2022
Don't worry about the language, some people can speak English, but try to stay in the city, there are many educated people in Kano city. I have spent more than 2yrs in Kano village where I can't speak or hear Hausa but now I can communicate a little.
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Omihanifa: 5:28pm On Sep 15, 2022
Thinkam:

Atiku is coming
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2022
Chinjo2:
Kano is a very nice place to be. Cost of living is relatively cheap however, be prepared to pay high rent because cost of accommodation is high in Sabon gari except you want to stay in house populated area where the rent is cheap but any slight provocation, they will use you as suya.
that last part is also scary.
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2022
Teetee777:
Don't worry about the language, some people can speak English, but try to stay in the city, there are many educated people in Kano city. I have spent more than 2yrs in Kano village where I can't speak or hear Hausa but now I can communicate a little.
ya, i am moving to the state capital
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Omihanifa: 5:30pm On Sep 15, 2022
Thinkam:

Atiku is coming

Who Dey tell you say northerners Dey mind their business? In this whole country I have never seen a tribe way their men Dey gossip reach Hausa. Once you see them gather in small groups they are not discussing anything other than gossiping about people.

Another thing they are notorious for is hypocrisy. They commit fornication more than anybody but theirs is done in secret. But they will be the first to judge you if you do urs openly.

Also be prepared to adjust to the dirty environment.

2 Likes

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Chinjo2: 5:31pm On Sep 15, 2022
iamwilliamsfx:
Why are igbos afraid of hausas
And hausas afraid of igbos
I thought we are in one Nigeria
Comrade

When you find yourself in Gandu Albasa or rijiyar lemu quarters in kano, you will understand better.
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Chinjo2: 5:33pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:
Just get a house in Sabon Gari or find someone to squat with. When you have fully mastered the town, you can move to places like Bompai, Lamido crescent or Sardauna Crescent.
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:33pm On Sep 15, 2022
Omihanifa:

Who Dey tell you say northerners Dey mind their business? In this whole country I have never seen a tribe way their men Dey gossip reach Hausa. Once you see them gather in small groups they are not discussing anything other than gossiping about people.

Another thing they are notorious for is hypocrisy. They commit fornication more than anybody but theirs is done in secret. But they will be the first to judge you if you do urs openly.

Also be prepared to adjust to the dirty environment.
If its about minding their business, omo give it to the north.

Them no gossip reach Southern people

1 Like

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2022
Chinjo2:

Just get a house in Sabon Gari or find someone to squat with.
squat?

Not me abeg, the pay is enough to cover my rent.
Nigeria has nosedived to the point that u dont have to trust anyone.
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Komu1048(m): 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:

I think ur concern should be better, u must learn at least 30 frequently used Arabic languages, wear jalamia, wear a rough n big beards
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Chinjo2: 5:37pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:
squat?

Not me abeg, the pay is enough to cover my rent.
Nigeria has nosedived to the point that u dont have to trust anyone.

Just get a house in Sabon Gari. You will love kano on the long run
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Teetee777: 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:
You are good to go
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:40pm On Sep 15, 2022
Chinjo2:

Just get a house in Sabon Gari. You will love kano on the long run
thanks
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Michelle70(m): 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2022
Teetee777:

You are good to go
thank u
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Omihanifa: 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:
If its about minding their business, omo give it to the north.

Them no gossip reach Southern people

You only know northerners on the surface. Take time and observe them very well you will understand what am saying. In this country nobody gossip reach Hausa men. Whenever you see 2 or 3 Hausa men gather nah gossip dem Dey gossip. Am saying this because I live with them. Two things you can’t take away from them is gossip and hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by frank14011991(m): 9:48pm On Sep 15, 2022
Michelle70:

dm me let me show you round kano
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Fairandlovely(f): 10:04pm On Sep 15, 2022
Going to kano will be the best decision you ever took. Transportation is cheap: keke to be precise nothing like bike or taxi. Please rent an accommodation in nomansland sabongari cos the roads in nomansland are good compare to ijebu rd in sabongari. Op i use God in heaven beg u,,nor go follow dem dey discuss religion ooo cos na there yawo go for gas
Good luck dude wink

1 Like

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Afamed: 10:05pm On Sep 15, 2022
You are good to go. But be prepared for change in Whether conditions especially towards Nov/ Dec till Feb . Extremely cold.
Either you get accomodation at Nomanslland / court road by Gyadi Gyadi or Bompai. Those are nice areas to stay.
Don't get accomodation at Sabon Gari, it's really a corrupt place.

You have nothing to fear, Kano is one of the safest states in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by WhizdomXX(m): 10:07pm On Sep 15, 2022
onomeabuja:
Vote Atiku there or......., grin
Onoms why?
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by WhizdomXX(m): 10:09pm On Sep 15, 2022
Thinkam:

Atiku is coming
He has come and gone his time is long past. Thanks for the yuseful advice
Re: Moving Over To Kano, What Should I Expect? by Afamed: 10:10pm On Sep 15, 2022
Fairandlovely:
Going to kano will be the best decision you ever took. Transportation is cheap: keke to be precise nothing like bike or taxi. Please rent an accommodation in nomansland sabongari cos the roads in nomansland are good compare to ijebu rd in sabongari. Op i use God in heaven beg u,,nor go follow dem dey discuss religion ooo cos na there yawo go for gas
Good luck dude wink
Yawa go gas for wetin? Are people not allowed to practice their religion in Kano?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Datti Baba-ahmed Tackles Northern Political Elites For Resisting Obi's Candidacy / Barrister Natasha Akpoti Of Pdp Wins Kogi Central Senatorial District / If You're Still Doubting That Atiku Has Lost, Look At Dino's Face Here In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.