Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,570 members, 7,812,843 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations (750 Views)

Awesome Wise Egyptian Quotes And Sayings From Famous People On Money/life / Yorùbá Proverbs, Translation With Morals / Check Out These 20 Funny Nigerian Proverbs, Adages And Sayings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations by emmaodet: 9:23am On Sep 16, 2022
Yorùbá Proverbs are used by elders to describe a scenario in a subtle way whereby those not knowledgeable enough will lose out or unable to grab the meaning while those knowledgeable enough will understand it.

Pardon me for not writing with the Amin ohun (the Yoruba signs/marks to describe the real meaning of words)

Viewers can also add theirs be it Yoruba proverbs, Nigeria or African proverbs in general.

1. Babalawo to da ifa afuye gege fun era, owun na lo da ona fuwa fun ekuro / Babalawo to da ifa afuye gege fun ayan, owun na lo da airinako fun adiye.

These two are one and the direct translation is that - The herbalist who did the charm for hen to regularly be meeting a cockroach to eat, is still the same man who did the charm for cockroach to be very heavy to pick and swallow by a predator.

Good examples -

It is no surprise that most thieves who do a strong charm from an herbalist always try to kill them o as not to be able to uncover their source of power in future by an ambitious police.

OR

The colonialists who support a government within their colony with weapons will still be the ones funding and arming the rebels at the back.

CC:

@ oluspicy
@ GupbisFounder
@ dreofGod

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations by Kipaji: 6:38am On Jan 20, 2023
Thank you for this lesson. I am eager to learn more from the other Yorùbá proverbs.
Re: Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations by emmaodet: 7:31pm On Jan 20, 2023
Kipaji:
Thank you for this lesson. I am eager to learn more from the other Yorùbá proverbs.

Uwc bro.
It is just that, nowadays I find it hard to type or comment on nairaland.

I have a lot of provers to translate and hope I find the strength to do it in the future
Re: Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations by Kipaji: 12:48am On Jan 21, 2023
emmaodet:

Uwc bro.
It is just that, nowadays I find it hard to type or comment on nairaland.

I have a lot of provers to translate and hope I find the strength to do it in the future

Alright.

And what does "Uwc" mean?

1 Like

Re: Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations by emmaodet: 1:32am On Jan 21, 2023
Kipaji:

Alright.

And what does "Uwc" mean?

You welcome
Re: Yorùbá Proverbs, Adages, Wise Sayings With Translations by Kipaji: 2:26am On Jan 21, 2023
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Garden Of Eden Finally Discovered / Democracy Palava / My Name Is Nemesis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.