Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets (79881 Views)

Biden Signs Cryptocurrency Executive Order On Digital Assets (Video) / Why North Korea 'Ghost Ships' Wash Up In Japan Full Of Dead Bodies (Pics) / Trump: US 'Targeting' 52 Iranian Sites, To Strike If Iran Attacks US Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Odewaleadesoye(m): 9:33pm On Sep 16, 2022
No fewer than 56 dead Nigerian names with reported unclaimed estates and other valuable assets in the United Kingdom have been published by the United Kingdom government.

This was contained in UK’s government Treasury Solicitor website which was last updated on September 8, 2022, as reported by BusinessDay.

The unclaimed estates have a 30-year time limit from the date of death before it is removed if no person comes to claim the ownership.

Oldest victim

According to the report, one of the oldest affected Nigerians was identified as Mark N’wogo, who died on December 9, 1992, in Surrey, United Kingdom.

But the assets he left behind have gone unclaimed for nearly 30 years, which means that his properties would be surrendered to the British government by December 2022.

He was believed to have served in the Navy, which gave his birth year as 1926, and to have an unspecified family in Sapele, Delta state, but neither this individual nor any others had stepped forward to claim the deceased’s possessions.

The values of these estates are not published; instead, only information about their deceased owners is available.

Familiar name

Another familiar name on the list is Victor Adedapo Olufemi Fani-Kayode, who is alleged to have died on August 15, 2001, in Birmingham, with the Birmingham City Council identified as the informant.

The Treasury Solicitor released a list of untaken estates that had recently been mentioned but had not yet been managed, as well as past instances that had been administered but had not yet been claimed within the time constraints for doing so.

Estates with a 30-year time limit from the date of death are likewise exempted.

“We frequently hear of accounts in financial institutions belonging to deceased people that are never claimed and are never made public by these institutions. I believe we can take a leaf out of the UK’s book in this area to promote transparency,” says Olaitan Akinnubi, a Lagos-based lawyer.

“I believe that making information about deceased people and their unclaimed assets public in the UK is something that is worthwhile.”

However, most of the deceased have little information on relatives to whom their assets may be transferred, and for those with available information, it is quite inadequate and hard to trace beneficiaries.

Other names

The list includes a certain Arbel Aai’Lotta’Qua Abouarh that died on February 5, 1998, in Chiswick, London, and is thought to have different variations in the spelling of his name. Information on file indicates that he may have been married in December 1959 (place unknown) and had four children from the marriage.

It is further stated he was born in Northern Nigeria on or about the 3rd March 1930 and his parents are said to be Alfred Hallim Abouarh and Addanue Abouarh nee Onwudachi. Information on file also indicates that he had a sister (deceased) and a twin brother (possibly living in Germany).

There is also Paul (Akinola) Bernard who was born in Lagos and died in London on October 12, 2008. Available information suggests he married a 2nd wife, Marie Vidarte de Castro in 1970, but she also died in August 2008. He is believed to have a daughter from his first marriage which ended around 1970.

Born in Ibadan on August 2, 1958, John Olaolu Bankole died in London on April 27, 2010. The information available includes a Decree Absolute dissolving the deceased’s marriage on 11 November 2002, while his marriage certificate states that his father’s name is Oladipupo Bankole.

While Enwukwe Graham Kwedi Edde, who died on January 6, 2011, in London is only known to have been born in Diobu, River State, Charles Ayodele Aliu, who died on March 31, 2011, in Solihull, West Midlands is said to “have a possible cousin in Nigeria”.

Sunny Eyo Edem, who died on September 16, 2011, in Fulham is believed to have a “Possible son and relatives in Calabar, Nigeria”. Also, William Kadry, who died on November 1, 2011, in Fulham, is said to have been born in Iponri, Lagos State, and his father Akanni Kadiri died in 1941, while his mother Muniratu Kadiri died in 1958.

Recent additions to the list include Solomon Adekanmibi who died on January 31, 2021, in Colchester, Essex; Eugene Bucknor, who died on March 2, 2021, in Brockley, London; Jeff Adhekeh, who died on March 12, 2021, in South Kensington, London and Louisa Holmes, who died on May 24, 2021, in Cheam Sutton.

According to Akinnubi, the legal practitioner, “For the relatives of any such deceased person or any other person entitled to the estate of any of the listed deceased persons, it is advisable that they engage a Probate Solicitor or Practitioner in the UK to help and guide them through the process of obtaining letters of administration in respect of the deceased person’s Estate in the UK.”

VANGUARD

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by God1000(m): 9:34pm On Sep 16, 2022
UK government should just sell everything and send us the money since their families are untraceable.

Nigerians and Africans still living in foreign countries should learn from this before its too late, we're all gonna croak someday and leave everything behind.

This reminds me of Abacha's loot that is still unknown.

Personally I don't think I will buy any property or save huge amount of money in another country.

Meanwhile I'm over the moon that Russia is losing badly in Ukraine, dictator Putin has finally made Russia a laughingstock, Russia will be ranked number 10 in the next global military power

198 Likes 13 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Omihanifa: 9:35pm On Sep 16, 2022
Nah wa o

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Adorasion: 9:40pm On Sep 16, 2022
They will soon find more of Abachas money

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Odewaleadesoye(m): 9:44pm On Sep 16, 2022
Can't find my uncle's name embarassed embarassed

257 Likes 18 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Righteousness2(m): 9:52pm On Sep 16, 2022
That's the vanity of life. Nobody carries a pin to eternity.
Treat the things of this life with very Light Hands. Ensure you have the needful .
A Genuie relationship with JESUS Christ is the needful.

341 Likes 34 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Brink(m): 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2022
God1000:
What about their families

Maybe they will send them the money

1 Like

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Ceenachi: 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2022
My uncle's name suppose dey there oo sad
He traveled to UK in 1967 and never returned

134 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Righthussle: 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2022
I no see my uncle name.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by spinna: 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2022
Relatives should do the needful, a nice windfall

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by emmabest2000(m): 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2022
The number 2 in the list
is it not FFK relative

FFK is a danm prodigal son grin

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by shiki(m): 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
Transparency

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by jchioma: 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
Now. This is a sane society where records are properly documented and the right thing is done. Imagine receiving a forgotten or unknown inheritance because the state is responsible. No fights or unnecessary drama. The records and statements cannot be disputed.

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by PerfectStranger(m): 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
Now Tinubu will rush and sell out his properties in London in case…

37 Likes 9 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Damipada(m): 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
Ok

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Odingo1: 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
Nigeria Oil money going down the drain

1 Like

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by inoki247: 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
lol make we check the list like admission list...

God don remember some people like this....

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by OnionBandit(f): 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2022
Mehn!

There is no way you can claim these properties without paying inheritance tax of 40% after deduction of any available nil rate band..and that is where I see a major problem. Hehe..The UK doesn't joke with inheritance tax, unlike Nigeria where you can inherit property worth billions and you have no tax to pay on them whatsoever.

Nigeria is a good country, we just don't know. All we need is a change of attitude..for we are all bad as a people

bemagnify:

Lol. You lie! There's normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if either: the value of the estate is below the ÂŁ325,000 threshold. Or the person leaves everything above the ÂŁ325,000 threshold to his or her spouse, civil partner, a charity or a community amateur sports club.
I mentioned nil rate band na, Mr oversabi..you and I know that most estates are worth more than the normal and resident nil rate band combined. Plus if it was left for the spouse which is exempt, the spouses would have been contacted and the owners names wouldnt have been published..talk another

220 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by franchasofficia: 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
Is Buhari's own there? I am asking cos I am one of his distant heirs shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by xpressionx(m): 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
Make I check whether my uncle name dey there

6 Likes

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by blamingthedevil: 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
Na Yoruba Names full here, still they won't claim developer

210 Likes 10 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Mkelv0106(m): 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2022
Mehn, so all these assets will be claimed by the UK government then. This is how Ibori and some other politicians assets will be claimed by them too after sometime. All the politicians be making the UK government make easy money off of them, bcus they stole it from ordinary citizens. Hope one day, all Atiku properties in Dubai will not be seize too, since he lives in Dubai more than in Nigeria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Starz825(m): 10:07pm On Sep 16, 2022
Just imagine

See people dead parents and grandparents, relatives with properties worth hundred thousands of pounds but Dem dey Nigeria dey suffer just because they lost connection a long time ago

Some people wey you see dey suffer presently suppose dey enjoy normal normal if not for circumstances ...

Omo this life ehnn

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by olasaad(f): 10:07pm On Sep 16, 2022
This life cheesy and their family maybe somewhere in Nigeria lavishing in poverty.

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by Franklyspeakin: 10:07pm On Sep 16, 2022
Hmmm
Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by bancoleh: 10:08pm On Sep 16, 2022
Lols,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by FreeStuffsNG: 10:08pm On Sep 16, 2022
So many of them are from dysfunctional families , cut off links from their families and even Nigeria so they ended up like that.

For those trash-talking and cursing Nigeria from a foreign land today, same fate awaits you.

Your condescending curses on our land here is what our land will return to you in multiple folds and those curses will follow you to your grave. I read of a few of such hate-filled unpatriotic Nigerians overseas who died during covid 19 and got buried in unmarked graves with no trace by their families till date. smh.

The land of Ngeria will bless those who bless it and curse those who curse it. That curse will follow you around even if you travel to antarctica.
May God bless Nigeria my fatherland for ever!
check my signature for free stuffs!

220 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Publishes Names Of Dead Nigerians With Unclaimed Estates, Assets by WibusJaga: 10:08pm On Sep 16, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Russia Deploys Mystery Device In Ukraine Which Is Unknown To USA / Earthquake Rocks Italy Amid Coronavirus Outbreak / Uju Anya Insults Jeff Bezos: Says "Otoro gba gbue Gi"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.