Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,480 members, 7,843,467 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity (8092 Views)

15 Out Of 17 Governors Present In Southern Governors Forum Meeting / Outgoing Governors, State Lawmakers To Get N2.06bn Severance Package / Buhari Vs Atiku: North-east Governors State Position Ahead Of 2019 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Racoon(m): 8:33am On Sep 21, 2022
The Southern Governors Forum (SGF) says state police is the only solution to the country’s security challenges.

In a statement on Monday, Rotimi Akeredolu, governor of Ondo and chairman of the forum, said the forum would continue to demand the devolution of powers to the states. The governor said the devolution of powers is the surest path to progress.

“We, on our part at the Southern Governors’ Forum, have continued to reiterate the fact of the incongruity inherent in an arrangement which purports to be federal, nominally, but whose observances stand at variance with the best practices espoused by climes considered advanced and progressing, amenable to nuances and adaptations which reflect and accommodate the yearnings for inclusion of the component units,” the statement reads.

We will continue to insist on the creation of state police as the only logical and pragmatic solution to the pervasive problem of insecurity in the land.

“In addition to this, we shall not fail to renew the call for the adoption of policies geared towards real devolution of powers to the federating units indeed.
This is the surest path to peace and progress.”

In recent years, governors and key stakeholders have been at the forefront of the clamour for state policing. In 2021, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, said the resources expended on security could be used to fund state police.

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo had also argued that a multi-ethnic nation like Nigeria needs state police to address its security challenges.
https://www.thecable.ng/southern-governors-state-police-is-the-only-solution-to-insecurity/amp

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Mrfixitt(m): 8:34am On Sep 21, 2022
That's the truth but unfortunately, the north will always oppose to that.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by omowolewa: 8:36am On Sep 21, 2022
Without stare police Nigeria will always have large ungovernable space

23 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Racoon(m): 8:38am On Sep 21, 2022
"...The forum would continue to demand the devolution of powers to the states. The governor said the devolution of powers is the surest path to progress.
The solemn truth.Nigeria today needs true federalism with devolution of power to the states.The centre can not hold again.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by PresidObi: 8:42am On Sep 21, 2022
The golden truth.

Without state police, the search for security is only but a pipe dream.

13 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 21, 2022
Seriously!
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by obicoolnino: 8:47am On Sep 21, 2022
Q
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by kushma(m): 8:47am On Sep 21, 2022
I think it will solve many insecurity issues at least the state will be aware of the police force working there and people they employ to serve, but I hope the state governors will not misuse it as personal lap dogs to punish or go after their political opponents in the state.

14 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by inoki247: 8:47am On Sep 21, 2022
Same story every year another Govt will come na still the same story....

Dem no go gri implement anything....

17 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by onomeabuja: 8:48am On Sep 21, 2022
Racoon:

https://www.thecable.ng/southern-governors-state-police-is-the-only-solution-to-insecurity/amp

Make una go against d constitution joooooor undecided
After all , lawyers ,government too don go against d constitution as everybody de do wetin him like for nigeria.....
But this our southern governors own is just to " bark " but they don't " bite " undecided
Set of clowns that don't speak with one voice embarassed

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Utanisco(m): 8:48am On Sep 21, 2022
Buhari n tinubu mate died in london few days ago who is queen Elizabeth n was buried on Monday

I don't know y buhari n tinubu are not dead by now

Una suppose die mk we know wetin we suppose do for naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by masterfactor(m): 8:48am On Sep 21, 2022
BAT to the rescue

5 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Pandev(m): 8:48am On Sep 21, 2022
Aketi and his fellow southern governors are doing well.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by WibusJaga: 8:49am On Sep 21, 2022

Let's stop shying away from the truth.
State or regional police is the way forward. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Unfortunately, our Northern brothers are afraid of their shadows & prefer all the security architecture to be solely under their control.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Parachoko: 8:50am On Sep 21, 2022
I am for state police too, the only firearms they will carry is pistol though.

Mobile police which will be under the FG should be the ones with assault rifle.
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by DamianX: 8:50am On Sep 21, 2022
Division is the only solution. Everyone to your tent let every region grow at their capacity and pace instead of hampering another man's growth out of envy and hate.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Akerele44(m): 8:50am On Sep 21, 2022
Why are northerners opposing state police

Am sure they are the ones behind the insecurity in there states

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Chimookigwe: 8:50am On Sep 21, 2022
Mrfixitt:
That's the truth but unfortunately, the north will always oppose to that.

Stop thinking like a slave.
The Civilian JTF has shown that state policing will even be in the best interest of the North.
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 21, 2022
Yawn

And how would they pay for the state police?

Honestly, the way we Nigerians talk...it gets annoying. Like the time Buhari was talking about N40 petrol without talking about how much it would cost our economy to guarantee that, or the time tinubu talks about agriculture...without talking about the actual reforms and cost needed to get there.

State police is necessary. But the problem is, Nigerians don't like paying for anything. Yes, it is true. And the only way you can adequately fund state police so that they won't run at the first sound of gunshot...is by taxing every economically active person in each and every state...at a high rate. That is how USA does it. Not by selling oil and sharing the money...taxation on all.

Has any state governor done so? No. Our tax uptake is still poor.

So tell me, which state is going to find money for the state police...or are they going to take another loan? I guess they want to take another loan.

Sigh.

Modifed

In the last fifteen minutes, I have gotten two abusive responses....from people who cannot, it seems engage my points at all. It is very sad that the annonymity of the web obscureth a lot.

I stand by what I wrote. You can abuse me, and if it makes you feel better, abuse me more. It shows I have gained power over you. But it would also be nice if someone would counter my point raised with actual counterpoints....

But then, this is nairaland. What was I expecting.

On this site, you can make a comment like 'The roses look pretty today' and someone will respond by calling you every name under the sun. It sounds sad, strange and weird, almost like some of these people are bearing large burdens that make them spark like that. (Then again, I am among that crowd...so)

2 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Dailymice: 8:50am On Sep 21, 2022
grin
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Usminous: 8:51am On Sep 21, 2022
State Police is the way to go but the useless president we have won't accept this narrative because is coming from south

3 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by ObaloluwaTel(m): 8:51am On Sep 21, 2022
I support this.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Eriokanmi: 8:51am On Sep 21, 2022
True. Amotekun is doing wonders. Our region remains the safest in Nigeria today except lagos politics or sentiments apart. I hope they can convert them to state police once the federal government gives a nod. See the way they're intercepting trucks with guns and local weapons hidden on board. Maybe because of Tinubu's utopian ambition, he shelved the call for state police in lagos and buried restructuring perpetually, something I once credited him for, before forming the apc. Crime rate here is becoming uncontrollable. I remember a night I was harassed by a tout who showed me the butt of his gun in traffic at agege pen cinema area. My friend escaped being attacked in his SUV. Each time we tackle sanwoolu on insecurity, he'd say, Neighbourhood Watch is a replica of amotekun. Is the body permitted to hold a gun like amotekun? I hope they shun politics and respect human lives before things get out of hand.

I think those kicking against this move are afraid of funding, especially in the north. If truly those governors are sincere about safety of lives of those who voted them into power, that security vote should suffice to cater for their state police. Their pistion on state police is so biased. How can they say politicians would use them for their selfish gains when the Nigeria police had always been used in rigging elections and intimidating opponents since 1960? Common! It's a baseless argument. How many times had amotekun been used against aketi's or makinde's opponents or used to rig elections?

2 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by crossfm: 8:51am On Sep 21, 2022
Hehehe.

Toothless bulldogs.

That was how you guys were shouting southern president few months ago,and ended up presenting Atiku and even made one clown a vice presidential candidate and he has been shining his teeths.
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Peritome: 8:51am On Sep 21, 2022
That's a great idea for rescue.
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by BigBelleControl(m): 8:51am On Sep 21, 2022
State police will really go a long way in curbing insecurity. That's why people should realize that one man cannot change Nigeria singlehandedly. It requires electing good representatives at both federal and state levels as well as capable people as governors.

4 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by RingRoadMafia: 8:52am On Sep 21, 2022
Obi has been drumming this same thing in their ears now for months, na now dem don know say state police good. Fools

1 Like

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Melbrom(m): 8:52am On Sep 21, 2022
State and private police. The private police should be allowed to armed themselves (the Constitution needs to be amended on this). The police force in Nigeria is wholely understaffed. We need private policing and state Police fully armed
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by forgiveness: 8:52am On Sep 21, 2022
Gbam!
Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by Chimookigwe: 8:52am On Sep 21, 2022
Utanisco:
Buhari n tinubu mate died in london few days ago who is queen Elizabeth n was buried on Monday

I don't know y buhari n tinubu are not dead by now

Una suppose die mk we know wetin we suppose do for naija

After your papa and mama don die, together with like 2 of your siblings and you too join, your surviving kinsmen will get answers to your questions.

2 Likes

Re: Southern Governors: State Police Is The Only Solution To Insecurity by seunayantokun(m): 8:53am On Sep 21, 2022
Talk and chop governors.
They see the true road but choose to stray away to where their bellies face, rather than support the people they govern who want out.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hon. Soliu Ayanshola's Kidnapped Wife & Children Regain Freedom / CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / No Doubt This Is 2023. PICTURE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.