Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,513 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances (25828 Views)

Northern Traditional Rulers, Retired Military Officers Back Atiku, Dare Wike / Retired Military Officers Protest In Abuja Over Unpaid Of Pension (Video) / Police Officers Block Saraki's Convoy In Abuja, Lock Down Residence (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Islie: 11:17am On Sep 27, 2022
Some retired military officers, on Monday, defied early morning downpour to stage the third phase of their protest at the headquarters of Ministry of Defence, Abuja.

The protesters lamented the non-payment of their Security Debarment Allowance, among others.

The aggrieved protesters, joined by some relatives of the deceased personnel, blocked access road to the Ministry located at Ship House on Olusegun Obasanjo Way in the Federal Capital Territory.

The military veterans under the aegis of the Retired Members of Nigerian Armed Forces and the Coalition of Concerned Veterans, accused the Minister of Defence, Maj.-Gen. Bashir Magashi (Retd), of being insensitive to their plight.

Addressing reporters during the protest, spokesman of the Security, Abiodun Durowaiye-Herberts, vowed that they would not leave the ministry’s entrance until their demands are met.

He said they had already made arrangement to sleep overnight if the situation warrants.

We are here alongside our wives and children, and the widows of late military personnel and veterans who died in service, some of whom died fighting Boko Haram terrorists. We’ll be sleeping over at this place until the Minister of Defence, Magashi accede to our demands,” he said.

On his part, the National Secretary of RMNAF, Roy Okhidievbie, who explained that the demonstration was to demand the payment of their security debarment allowance owed them by the Federal Government.

He accused the Minister of refusing to disburse the allowances despite approval by President Muhammadu Buhari.

We have had meetings with the Defence Minister, Magashi, but he appears to be headstrong, heartless, and unperturbed concerning the grievances of retired military officers, as he never paid nor showed any interest or concern to pay these allowances, especially the Security Debarment Allowance.”

Interestingly, President Buhari-led administration has approved the payment of this allowance, but Magashi have refused to make disbursements, Okhidievbie said.

Anna Nanven, whose husband, a Corporal, was killed by Boko Haram terrorists during an attack on a military barracks in Borno State, 2015, told our correspondent that she had only received one allowance disbursement since her husband’s demise.

Also speaking, one of the relatives of a deceased personnel, Mrs Nanven said, “My husband was a young man, a Corporal that was killed by Boko Haram terrorists during an attack on the barracks where he worked.

“I now live with his parents, and I bore five kids, three females and two males for him until his demise. The children are aged, 22, 20, 18, 15, and seven years old, and the two eldest, both girls, that are done with High School can’t afford going to the University because I can’t afford their school fee.

“I am pleading that the President, the Minister of Defence, and Nigerian citizens come to our aid. I and my five children are suffering and living in poverty because I can’t afford starting a business, and I have no job.”

Daily Trust had reported that the retired military men in January this year picketed the ministries of finance and defence, as well as National Assembly to press home their demands.

When contacted, the spokesman of the Minister, Mohammed Abdulkadir, directed our correspondent to the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Ibrahim Kana.

However, several calls to the mobile phone of Mr Kana were yet to be answered, and he was yet to reply to a text message sent to him as at when filing this report.

https://dailytrust.com/just-in-retired-military-officers-block-defence-headquarters-over-unpaid-allowances

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by lhordspy: 11:18am On Sep 27, 2022
Pictures?

81 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 27, 2022
Okay
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by dedonfranco(m): 11:22am On Sep 27, 2022
God forbid
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Corridon: 11:22am On Sep 27, 2022
They should be shot on sight. Same thing they do to peaceful protesters.

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Viraltrends123: 11:32am On Sep 27, 2022
LOL, allowances, I thought as much. Whenever the government put allowances in your salary structure, just have it in mind that they won't pay.

LOL, only ASUU people would go on several months strike because of things like this. Mumu people that want to be earning this salaries in dollars, like their colleagues in US, the Government is paying you your salary, why can't you just continue teaching, and hope Nigeria develop as a whole, or is university/tertiary institutions or education sector the only sector in the country, or you feel other sectors are massively developed and paid well. We all should be patient and hope for a better Nigeria, instead of drawing is back with mumuness. If anyone should be on strike right now, it should be the nurses.

9 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:32am On Sep 27, 2022
Why can't APC pay them and ASUU from the money they made from selling presidential forms? Are these not people that have offered their lives to keep Nigeria safe.

Are they waiting to give them Agbado, ewa, garri cheesy cheesy

18 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by freeminded(m): 11:32am On Sep 27, 2022
This is the height of it

8 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by dust144(m): 11:32am On Sep 27, 2022
But why is buhari not there?

12 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by sofeo(m): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
Alright!
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Perfecttouchade: 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
Nobody should be allowed to protest since when the masses were protesting about their plights , it's still the force men they used against the masses

56 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by SsshmoneY(m): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
I need help please.

Anyone please

2 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Mpcoll001: 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
Nawa

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Sinim(m): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
dedonfranco:
God forbid
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by BATified2023: 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
Corridon:
They should be shot on sight. Same thing they do to peaceful protesters.
fahdiga calm down

Only inconsequential 5% people from d land of d rising hate can b treated like that

Sorry Python dance comes to mind
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by busar(m): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2022
Nawa o

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by DropsMic(m): 11:34am On Sep 27, 2022
Nigeria
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by illuminutty: 11:34am On Sep 27, 2022
Buhari and APC
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by dreu2fine(m): 11:34am On Sep 27, 2022
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by SouthSouth1914: 11:34am On Sep 27, 2022
They should be shot on sight for protesting! Same thing they do to harmless civilians!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by pointblankeirie: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2022
sad
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by bewla(m): 11:35am On Sep 27, 2022
Same everywhere you go

Fail past question all over

1 Like

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by MansoryMX(m): 11:35am On Sep 27, 2022
And some of you still wants to vote for same people!!!!

Na craze dey really worry all of Una for that useless country called Nigeria!!!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Redstubpen: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2022
If life could be this hard for retired officers, I can only imagine the fate or what's ahead for a struggling person like me who hasn't worked anywhere near government office, never enjoyed government dividends and just living living an unfulfilled life. I'm very worried for myself, the stagnancy and getting depressed by the day. I don't know what the future holds and each day comes with fear and uncertainty.

I wish someone can talk to me and make me see reasons to give life one more chance and grow. This awful feeling right now is making my heart bleed and hurt.

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by od501: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2022
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by hardbody: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2022
I have no comments here
Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by LIGHTROOM: 11:36am On Sep 27, 2022
Make sure your comment is adding value

1 Like

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by kollinz1234(m): 11:36am On Sep 27, 2022
What a country.

We have not even finished talking about ASUU.

Support a candidate that plans For your future now that you are still a youth you will not hear, you are pushing for something else. Tomorrow now you will start disturbing us with protest.

1 Like

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by olatade(m): 11:36am On Sep 27, 2022
In their days, the govt would use these same people to repress civil protests. May God help them now.

2 Likes

Re: Retired Military Officers Block Defence Headquarters Over Unpaid Allowances by Femiwilli: 11:37am On Sep 27, 2022
Meanwhile this govt is giving money to terrorists

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Controversy Trails Nigeria’s Ambassador Post To WTO / Oshiomhole: Foreign Prisoners Are Working At Construction Sites In Nigeria / We Won’t Dismiss Officer For Picking Shallipopi's Money On The Floor- Police PRO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.