Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,185 members, 7,811,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) (65826 Views)

Today Is World Snake Day / Amazing Six-Legged Robot Expertly Skis Down A Slope In China (Video & Pics) / Once, A Nigerian Somewhere Would Think Like This (what Happened To Us?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Nobody: 1:23am On Oct 02, 2022
Measuring around 10 cm, with a diameter comparable to that of a cooked spaghetti, the Barbados Threadsnake (Tetracheilostoma carlae) is by far the smallest snake in the world.

Spotting a Barbados threadsnake for the first time, you could swear it was an earthworm. They are actually comparable in size and diameter, with the largest specimen ever found measuring only 10.4 centimeters, and are also blind.

They also typically weigh under one gram and are small enough to coil on an American quarter. The species was officially discovered slithering beneath a rock near a patch of Barbadian forest in 2008 by evolutionary biologist S. Blair Hedges, but little has been discovered about its ecology and behavior since.

The Barbados threadsnake is one of the many animal species endemic to the Caribbean island, and confirms an observation scientists have made ever since the days of Charles Darwin – islands are often home to oversized and miniaturized creatures.

This tiny snake is reportedly difficult to study because, like the earthworm is so strongly resembles, it typically lives in the soil under rocks and logs so little is known about it. It is thought to feed mostly on termites and ant larvae, and depend on forested habitat to survive.

Unfortunately, it is the threadsnake’s dependence on forests that could render it extinct in the near future. With only about 10 percent of Barbados’ forests still standing, the survival of this mysterious species is uncertain.

Watch video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiIuBCti-9Y
Source: https://www.odditycentral.com/animals/worlds-smallest-snake-can-easily-be-mistaken-for-an-earthworm.html

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Prosperous111(m): 2:49am On Oct 02, 2022
Very beautiful and dangerous shocked

This is the only snake species that will escape our nairaland snake masters pot grin

170 Likes 13 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by internationalman(m): 3:41am On Oct 02, 2022
Prosperous111:

This is the only snake species that will escape our nairaland snake masters pot grin

Ain't nothing beautiful about snakes. The smaller the more irritating they become.

I just hate them so much that I feel so guilty and unfulfilled whenever they survive my chase and hunt.

Cockroaches too.

421 Likes 36 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by pheelhip(m): 5:08am On Oct 02, 2022
It's really irritating

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Berrityga: 5:25am On Oct 02, 2022
Wow.. I think I stepped on something like this last year..

15 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Isokoboy(m): 6:01am On Oct 02, 2022
I dey wait oo

5 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by id4sho(m): 6:02am On Oct 02, 2022
Men na to seal penis hole oooo sad
End time snake

37 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 02, 2022
Is it eatable??

5 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Vyzz: 6:41am On Oct 02, 2022
shocked

I think I might have seen and killed a couple of it before...

And I knew they were snakes, unless baby snakes looks like this at first

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by falcon01: 6:54am On Oct 02, 2022
I've seen this type of snake before, it's not this colour it's exactly the colour of a worm but it moves and act like a snake or does a big worm move like a snake? Because I swear I saw a worm and every thing about it is snake, it's atleast 6 inch long.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by KingMack(m): 7:13am On Oct 02, 2022
I remembered how we use to come across this snake while harvesting yams calling them baby snake

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by heniford2: 7:14am On Oct 02, 2022
Have killed it manytimes

8 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by FaceTanke: 7:52am On Oct 02, 2022
If plenty of it can be caught

Then u cook it with noodles or spaghetti

tongue

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Generalwoodz(m): 8:09am On Oct 02, 2022
I want catch like 50 of them and tie it around my girlfriend's head Medusa style. I'm darn sure her phobia for snakes would be cured.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Crampyblood(m): 8:24am On Oct 02, 2022
internationalman:

Ain't nothing beautiful about snakes. The smaller the more irritating they become.

I just hate them so much that I feel so guilty and unfulfilled whenever they survive my chase and hunt.

Cockroaches too.
you must live in a dirty environment bro..

No offense

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by rowland545(m): 8:50am On Oct 02, 2022
Finally a snake I can kill ....nah to just smash him head from a far distance...

Snakes gives me d creeps

12 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by TANID(m): 9:01am On Oct 02, 2022
Prosperous111:

lala i thing he's talking to you sir cheesy

2 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by temitope27(m): 9:53am On Oct 02, 2022
internationalman:

Cockroaches too.
snakes � are actually beautiful, but dangerous like that guy said grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Questriddim: 11:42am On Oct 02, 2022
shocked
Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Shellsploit: 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2022
This go make sense with egusi soup and eba
Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Rexymania(m): 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2022
I've seen it before

2 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by Manna4Gurls: 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2022
Prosperous111:

For where. Lala go use am in place of crayfish. He no go spare am

3 Likes

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by HarlequinLekex: 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2022
Join like 500 together use am make belt for ur boyfriend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is World's Smallest Snake, You Would Think It's An Earthworm (Video, Pics) by HolyMan12: 2:54pm On Oct 02, 2022
Lalasticlala will soon arrive grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is This Animal Called / Human Wash Machine Will Bathe You Faster And Better (PHOTOS) / Talented Nigerian Boy Builds A Duplex Design With Lights And Swimming Pool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.