Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? (5092 Views)

Why compare Nigeria with western countries? / Ladies!!!Can You Dress Like This In Public For Cultural Reasons? / Origin Of The Bantu Peoples: Eastern Nigeria/Western Cameroun? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 9:30am On Aug 16, 2011
Or it depends on the place according to you, does it makes you real African or do you think we should adapt to the country in which you immigrate?
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by emofine(f): 1:42pm On Aug 16, 2011
It all boils down to personal choice to be fair. I wear native attire here in the UK but I don't don it everyday. Just because I live in a Western country I don't necessarily feel obliged to wear western attire. I love and appreciate all types of garments smiley. I mean look at the Indians, they patronize their clothes wherever they go and even some people wanna dress like them.
Oh and lastly, wearing an African attire doesn't make someone to be a "real African" if that's the case then I'm Indian. However I will admit that whenever I wear African attire I am more conscious of being an African - which I honour kiss

1 Like

Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2011
Emofine hi sister! yes it's an honour wearing our African colorful dresses but for some people it's not in adequation with the culture and dress code of their countries what do you think?
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by emofine(f): 1:58pm On Aug 16, 2011
Bonjour Nayah. . . Ça va ?

I live in the UK so can only talk about the UK. The UK is very multicutural and hence many people from diverse backgrounds wear clothes that reveal their country of origin. Even some Westerners wear "ethnic" clothing.
Well there are certain places where there is a mode of dressing and hence the code should be respected. However Just like Western styles, African clothing is evolving and can be modified to appear modern as well, and some people mix and match it with western attire too.

If a particular country has a strict dress code and requires citizens to adhere to at all times then I will adopt it out of respect as a guest and also because I know that my African identity is more internal than external. Of course I may not like the restriction but it would never stop being African on the inside smiley
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2011
Emofine, hey ça va et toi?? lol good French though wink
In fact I think technically there's nothing wrong wearing African outfit, I know the UK and I know how much people like showing off their culture, but I think also that westerners have their dress code in work office that we have to respect
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by pleep(m): 1:04am On Aug 17, 2011
i wouldn't even wear african attire[i] in africa[/i]. I hate it honestly, kinda odd comming from person like me but yea.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Josh316(m): 2:05am On Aug 17, 2011
shocked
i wouldn't even wear african attire in africa. I hate it honestly, kinda odd comming from person like me but yea.
Dude, are you kiding me? (he's not seriously)
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nobody: 2:19am On Aug 17, 2011
I've seen lots and lots of Nigerians and Ghanaian in African Traditional attires. Esp Yoruba ppl, dem no send anybody.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by lepasharon(f): 2:31am On Aug 17, 2011
im a bit shy to wear it,dose oyinbos will look me funny undecided
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by kandiikane(m): 2:43am On Aug 17, 2011
I like to "don" African attires but not always. It depends on the occasion I am attending. It does not make you a "real African" but does make you proud of your African(ness). smiley

Also, I am addicted to wearing head ties. . I wear it even with western outfits. Anyways, I am a fashion diva so I know out to style it out. grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nobody: 5:08am On Aug 17, 2011
I wore a native attire to downtown DC on July 4 ( America's Independence Day). Got a lot of compliments. Wear on some Sundays too and any other time I feel like.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 8:22am On Aug 17, 2011
As for me I wear it during summertime or for a special occasion or church but I really like wearing it, so colorful !
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Egbagirl(f): 8:44am On Aug 17, 2011
Yes I do. Church. Class, functions, parties etc. Not everyday but often enough tho. Most times when I go to a formal dinner, I usually wear something trad.
I'm not in the least bothered about what people think or what not. I rep Naija everywhere I go.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by blackpanda: 9:04am On Aug 17, 2011
i love wearing African attire abroad. I love the stares and silent nods being greeted me by these foreigners.
i feel so proud and glad that i am black, African and with huge cultural heritage.

1 Like

Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 9:06am On Aug 17, 2011
^yes!!! smiley
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by cee1(m): 9:06am On Aug 17, 2011
No. but then, neither do i wear em anywhere. i owned one white kaftan when i was bout 10, and thats it. its all about personal style. it does not make anyone more or less African.

However, if your reason for not wearing it in a western country or anywhere is coz u're "shy" to or feel insecure to, then thats when you have a problem.
I see people here in Boston n all over the place rock their native attires n its cool, but its just not me. I simply don't go out of my way to "represent."
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2011
Oyinbo's once packed beside my friend on his way to church,he was dressed in native attire. They asked him if he was lost and looking for directions to Africa. Then they started laughing at him and drove off.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 10:24am On Aug 17, 2011
SAXYWALE, good for them we are very PROUD of our culture are'nt we? grin

1 Like

Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Yinkaboy: 10:43am On Aug 17, 2011
Come to London on a Sunday after Church, all you will see in certain areas is Native sha. Lol, the worst offenders are those Redeemed folks, but it happens everywhere. Regular Fashion parade.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by NEGOZI: 11:06am On Aug 17, 2011
SORRY I LIVE IN ITALY AND I WEAR MY AFRICAN ATTIRE ANYTIME I WANT. No complex or whatever. Besides whenever i put on some i always have compliments from white people. Wearing it makes me proud especially when you put on good styles and good stuff.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by jadedlulu(f): 11:18am On Aug 17, 2011
Love my african wears and don't miss d opportunity to wear dem over here

1 Like

Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 17, 2011
lepasharon:

im a bit shy to wear it,dose oyinbos will look me funny undecided

Are you sure it wont be because of your wrong English? grin grin grin
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by MMM2(m): 12:03pm On Aug 17, 2011
Am asian

angry angry angry
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by eghost247(m): 12:35pm On Aug 17, 2011
Nayah:

Or it depends on the place according to you, does it makes you real African or do you think we should adapt to the country in which you immigrate?
u dont need to dress up to feel african
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by r231(m): 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
oh yes

I have a lot and i wear them to church every Sunday during summer time

even wear them to parties too grin grin grin grin
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2011
Dress code is not what makes you an African, being African it's a vision first, full values, don't get me wrong but sometimes I think it's really good wearing this colourful and smashing clothes, as I said I can't take it for work but for the week end or church for sure!

I'm in love with Africa and its attires
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Anvaller: 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
Wearing African attire once in a while is cute, it is always impossible in the winter tho'

You must be ready to tell ppl many things about where you come from because they will ask all those questions once they see u dressed African. What u call the name of what u are wearing? Ur culture and all that. If u like to socialize, its always a good idea.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by EEngineer1(m): 1:26pm On Aug 17, 2011
i live in Nigeria, but if i am to go abroad, i will never miss the wonderful opportunity of wearing african clothes and displaying my cultural heritage
i dont know why people should even have the slightest hint of shame
and as for other races like indians, asians and middle easterners, they should always try to rep up their home because they would look absolutely amazing in their native attires

1 Like

Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by eghost247(m): 1:32pm On Aug 17, 2011
E-Engineer:

i live in Nigeria, but if i am to go abroad, i will never miss the wonderful opportunity of wearing african clothes and displaying my cultural heritage
i dont know why people should even have the slightest hint of shame
and as for other races like indians, asians and middle easterners, they should always try to rep up their home because they would look absolutely amazing in their native attires
no one talked about shame
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by kandiikane(m): 1:36pm On Aug 17, 2011
Eghost247, someone did, check top of page and there are many people who are ashamed to wear African outfits in public in the western world.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by tpia5: 2:01pm On Aug 17, 2011
@ topic

i dont think its anybody's business to monitor what others are wearing or did i miss something.

Inasmuch as you're not being booked for public n.udity or sagging trousers then other people's dressing isnt your concern.
Re: Dress Like Africans In Western Countries? by Nayah(f): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2011
Tpia hi long time thanks for your contribution smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Tribe In 9JA Practice Polyandry??? / Alaga Ijoko/iduro For Yoruba Couple's To Be / Why Are African Women Jealous Of Interracial Couples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.