Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Black History Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Black History Month (2012 Views)

In Promotion Of Black History Month / Great Speeches In African And Black History / The Unofficial Black History Month Thread (Incorporating Facts) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black History Month by omogenaija(f): 4:19am On Feb 25, 2006
Why is black history month during the shortest month of the year

why couldn't it be a month with at least 30 days it isn't right.

there shouldn't even be a specific month for any history to be celebrated
Re: Black History Month by LoverBwoy(m): 6:54pm On Mar 01, 2006
28 - 30 days no big deal

what u do within those 28 days should matter

i think there has to be a specific month set aside for it, people dnt celebrate birthdays everyday wink
Re: Black History Month by retro(f): 7:51pm On Mar 01, 2006
I think there should be no months at all. I don't need a month to be aware of what happened in the past or whatever black history month is for. Also it provokes racism,  like why isn't there a white history month? Yep.

Doesn't really matter to me, we don't have "[insert race here] history month" in belgium.

1 Like

Re: Black History Month by Nnenna1(f): 8:41pm On Mar 01, 2006
retro:

I think there should be no months at all. I don't need a month to be aware of what happened in the past or whatever black history month is for. Also it provoques racism, like why isn't there a white history month? Yep.

Doesn't really matter to me, we don't have "[insert race here] history month" in belgium.

Totally agree with you. Black History month is a double standard. We don't need a history month to tell us of our achievement or suffering.
Re: Black History Month by demmy(m): 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2006
Nnenna1:

Totally agree with you. Black History month is a double standard. We don't need a history month to tell us of our achievement or suffering.

Black history month is mainly for African Americans in America to celebrate and acknowledge the mostly underrated black archivements and overcoming in racist America. There is nothing double standard there. When you said "we" you're obviously refering to us Africans and most of us have remote idea about what racism really entails.
Re: Black History Month by Nnenna1(f): 9:30pm On Mar 01, 2006
demmy:

Black history month is mainly for African Americans in America to celebrate and acknowledge the mostly underrated black archivements and overcoming in racist America. There is nothing double standard there. When you said "we" you're obviously refering to us Africans and most of us have remote idea about what racism really entails.

I don't believe the month is a necessity. For one thing, they aren't the only minority in the US. Yes, slavery was a bad and hurtful thing but they have to just get over it and concentrate on moving forward, integrating themselves with other ethinicities and becoming on par with them. Black History month only encourages the remembrance of pain. Paradoxically, it makes America all the more racially aware rather than otherwise.

But hey, I'm no American, so what do I know? cheesy
Re: Black History Month by vichel(m): 9:49pm On Mar 01, 2006
It will never be forgotten, not when u have some lousy white folks constantly reminding u of it, with their stupid racist remarks and chants. If u live in the United States or Europe, u would understand what amtalking about. their are hate groups out their claiming that white is the superior race, and all blacks should go back to their peice of shit continent *Africa*. So it will never be forgotten, and one does who still posses these ideas would end up paying for it through enternity
Re: Black History Month by retro(f): 6:41pm On Mar 02, 2006
vichel:

It will never be forgotten, not when u have some lousy white folks constantly reminding u of it, with their stupid racist remarks and chants. If u live in the United States or Europe, u would understand what amtalking about. their are hate groups out their claiming that white is the superior race, and all blacks should go back to their peice of rubbish continent *Africa*. So it will never be forgotten, and one does who still posses these ideas would end up paying for it through enternity
I live in Europe and you're not entirely right. Sure, there are hate groups, boy, there are hate groups EVERYWHERE. Whites are taught to feel ashamed for what "they" did. Bullshit, the whites of this generation didn't practice slavery, their ancestors did so what the hell should they feel ashamed of?
Slavery will NEVER be forgotten but you know that it's being exaggerated, right? Come one, almost every single lazy black person hides behind racism and slavery. "I can't get a job because i'm black" or "i'll never get hired because of my skin color". Sure it happens but jeez, it's getting exaggerated.
This "black history month" provokes racism, i think we should move on, stop living in the past.

Seriously, what does 28 days do? You don't need 28 days to learn about slavery.
Re: Black History Month by vichel(m): 3:57pm On Mar 04, 2006
@Retro
Sure Ur right, we have some lazy bums hiding behind the covers of slavery just to get easy rides in life. The sins of the father, i have always believed would not be suffered by their children, because they were not partaker of it. But let me assure u one thing, the generation of today are as backward minded as their fore-fathers were. I am ready to forget slavery and move on, but not when this generation still feels that whites are the most superior race. How do u expect a person like me to feel after watching the incident that happened to Samuel Eto'o in the game between Barcelona vs Real Zaragoza? i cried with great hurt in my heart, and i wondered if Racism would ever stop. I would say it again the sins that was done against the black race is no small matter, and should never be over looked. I will never take second place to any man, what ever race u come, and i would continue to observe the Black history, so i could know more about what our great fathers suffered, and that i would be able to tell my own kids the stories of the shameless sins of man against his fellow man.
Re: Black History Month by WesleyanA(f): 11:20pm On Mar 04, 2006
retro:

I think there should be no months at all. I don't need a month to be aware of what happened in the past or whatever black history month is for. Also it provokes racism, like why isn't there a white history month? Yep.

i like black history month. wink even though i don't think it matters anyhow.
It's in february not because february has the shortest days but because Abraham Lincoln (emancipation proclamation) , Frederick Douglass (obvious) , and Langston Hughes (Harlem writer)'s birthdays fall in the same month.
------
asking why there isn't a white history month is just like asking why there aren't white colleges!
i can't stand when some whites say stuff like "why does there have to be "Black colleges" and there can't be "white colleges"?
some people just can't see stuff.
Re: Black History Month by Dauda(m): 4:36am On Mar 05, 2006
BS, black history should be celebrated everyday. Black history month is the white man's way of perpetuating the evil they have done and continue to do against all minorities. It's a shame. I refused to be drawn into any celebration. Pls don't roll out any drums. Young black men and women continue to languish in jails all over the world. Give me a break.
Re: Black History Month by folkzy(f): 11:21pm On Feb 02, 2007
Black History Month is also celebrated in UK. It is celebrated in October. Can i just say, my mum and I went shopping during october month 2yrs ago and we were comin bck. Suddenly, a white lady that drove past, stopped and helped us n she said 'it's black history month. we kind of refuse her help lol.
Re: Black History Month by tpia5: 5:09am On Jan 22, 2013
soon to be here.

always a stressful time, lord have mercy.
Re: Black History Month by Blyss: 7:14am On Jan 22, 2013
retro: I think there should be no months at all. I don't need a month to be aware of what happened in the past or whatever black history month is for. Also it provokes racism,  like why isn't there a white history month? Yep.

That's because the history of non whites in Belgian History is nearly nonexistent, with the exception of their colonial interactions in the Congo, in which I'm sure only get a snippet of coverage in their history books.
Re: Black History Month by tpia5: 4:47am On Feb 01, 2013
Re: Black History Month by tpia5: 4:48am On Feb 01, 2013
its here.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Start My Own Political Party! Anyone Interested? / Fraud: 22 Bank Chiefs Indicted -sacked 5 Mds Under Surveillance -may Be Arrested / Why Governor Okorocha Appointed Me Chief Comedian Of Imo State-uche Ogbuagu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.