Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) (8772 Views)

I'm Joining The Powerbike Gang / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video / Would You Buy This Beautifully Restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL For N35.7m? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 5:08pm On Mar 03, 2023
uwemjack:
Engine oil and filter change done!
Details up shortly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BagvtHG-I
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:18am On Mar 05, 2023
uwemjack:
Engine oil and filter change done!
Details up shortly
Where did you buy your oil and filter?
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Where did you buy your oil and filter?

The oil filter was ordered from aliexpress while the oil was gotten from their distributor in festac lagos
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:09am On Mar 06, 2023
uwemjack:

The oil filter was ordered from aliexpress while the oil was gotten from their distributor in festac lagos
Aliexpress takes time to deliver. I need to change my oil filter. I haven't changed it in the last 2 maintenance
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 5:44pm On Mar 06, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Aliexpress takes time to deliver. I need to change my oil filter. I haven't changed it in the last 2 maintenance

Not that long, usually not more than 4week. If you had ordered 4wks ago you would have it by now.

You can check local motorcycle parts stores too, but be sure of the exact fit of filter.

What is the model of your bike?
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:16am On Mar 08, 2023
uwemjack:

Not that long, usually not more than 4week. If you had ordered 4wks ago you would have it by now.

You can check local motorcycle parts stores too, but be sure of the exact fit of filter.

What is the model of your bike?

Sure I know the fit, I do my oil change myself, it's not rocket science actually. Thanks bro. Mine is a beginner's bike, CBR 250R. Just 300cc but I'm currently negotiating with dealer to buy the CBR 1000R with about 1000cc cos I feel I'm experienced enough to handle bigger motorcycle now.

6 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 1:34pm On Mar 08, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Sure I know the fit, I do my oil change myself, it's not rocket science actually. Thanks bro. Mine is a beginner's bike, CBR 250R. Just 300cc but I'm currently negotiating with dealer to buy the CBR 1000R with about 1000cc cos I feel I'm experienced enough to handle bigger motorcycle now.

True!
I have one filter left from my old ninja I will give you for free if you can pick up in lag but am not sure it will fit your bike see picture, the dimensions are
height 40mm
Width 44m
Internal diameter 12mm.

You have a beautiful bike there

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:12am On Mar 09, 2023
uwemjack:

True!
I have one filter left from my old ninja I will give you for free if you can pick up in lag but am not sure it will fit your bike see picture, the dimensions are
height 40mm
Width 44m
Internal diameter 12mm.

That's so kind of you bro. Thank you.
I checked the dimensions and it doesn't match mine but I already placed an order for a matching filter on Aliexpress. That Aliexpress is our saviour in this country I tell you. I would have said Amazon but shipping cost security fee is always too much.
I bought most of the modifications for my bike on Aliexpress.
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:13am On Mar 09, 2023
uwemjack:

True!
height 40mm
Width 44m
Internal diameter 12mm.

Bro, another question I've been meaning to ask is how do you record videos with clear audio on your bike. I have this problem of wind making the audio recording of my videos defective.
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 3:42pm On Mar 09, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

That's so kind of you bro. Thank you.
You welcome
I checked the dimensions and it doesn't match mine but I already placed an order for a matching filter on Aliexpress. That Aliexpress is our saviour in this country I tell you. I would have said Amazon but shipping cost security fee is always too much.
I bought most of the modifications for my bike on Aliexpress.
same here
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 3:56pm On Mar 09, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Bro, another question I've been meaning to ask is how do you record videos with clear audio on your bike. I have this problem of wind making the audio recording of my videos defective.

* you can use a microphone that filters noise
* You position the camera behind a windbreaker like the windshield
* Mount the camera where clean air will get to it. Like on the helmet or windshield
* Reduce the volume
* Extract the audio and replace
* Upgrade your camera - some camera have inbuilt noise cancelling

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:53pm On Mar 19, 2023
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Billiebaba(m): 6:03pm On Mar 20, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Will you sell this one, I’ll like to buy if it’s not too expensive
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:39pm On Mar 21, 2023
Billiebaba:

Will you sell this one, I’ll like to buy if it’s not too expensive
Yes it's actually up for sale cos I'm about to buy another one. But it's 1.6m last price.
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 5:55pm On Mar 31, 2023
My rear break pads are worn already again! The new one installed in December 3 months
uwemjack:
Rear Break pad change...
So I was planning about 600km road trip on Simba. Created a checklist to ensure the bike was in top condition.

The rear break pad didn't pass the check as it had worn to almost flat, even though it was still performing optimally. The front pads on the other hand is still full.

So I ordered 3 sets of break pads, two set for the front and I set for the rear. It eventually arrived and I will be replacing the rear pads only while the front will be stored for future use.

Went to YouTube to watch the how to, closest video shows that rear tyre has to be removed to change the rear pads, too much work as I don't care about removing the wheel! Went to my e-manual so that I didn't need to remove the wheel.
My steps for this replacement where
1. Put the bike on its centre stand
2. Remove the split pin keeper
3. Remove retaining pin using a screw driver and a hammer
4. Remove the pads
5. Press back the caliper piston using a screw driver
6. Install new break pads
7. Install the retaining pin
8. Install the pin keeper
9. Press the breaks several times
10. Drink a can of malt�
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by EgunMogaji2: 1:56pm On Apr 03, 2023
Add a quality chest and spine protector to your safety gear.

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 8:27pm On Apr 11, 2023
Front wheel removal.
So I had to do an fork seal replacement which requires removal of the front wheel. Unfortunately for me the design on BMW f800st axle shaft is not the bolt design where the right sized spanner or socket can easily be used, it's a pipe! And requires a special tool to loose.
So I had to fabricate my own tool to use as I couldn't source one locally and immediately.

So I bought bolt with 22mm and 2nr nuts, welded them together and it worked. Although the bolt broke as can be seen between pic 3 and 4.
The weld point acted as the stopper

https://youtube.com/shorts/CB8ogb7KKJs?feature=share

Pic 1 & 2 - BMW Special tool
Pic 3 & 4 - my DIY special alternative

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 8:41pm On Apr 11, 2023
EgunMogaji2:
Add a quality chest and spine protector to your safety gear.

Yes sir,
Changed my jacket back protector to a ce approved level 2 rating, I believe this is the highest safety rating at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:11pm On Apr 29, 2023
29th April 2023
I did the following maintenance work on Simba today:
* Front forks oil seal replacement
* Front forks dust seal replacement
* Front forks hydraulic oil replacement.
* Front break pads replacement

Only one fork was leaking and it got worse to were oil pools on the floor. While waiting for the replacement seals to arrive, i decided to repair the seals by reducing the springs in the seal.
I brought out the spring, disconnect it at the joint, cut out 2mm from the female end then connect it back fix in the seal and install. I used 5w30 synthetic oil in the forks as I would be draining them again once the new seals arrive.
This actually worked as the forks no longer leaked, up to when I replaced with a new seal today.

How to remove the circlip on the fork

https://youtube.com/shorts/XezTumqzRoI?feature=share

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 5:20am On May 03, 2023
In changing the oil seal on my Simba forks I had 3 challenges...
I did research and recorded short videos to help others too..

1. How to loose the front wheel axle as it required a special tool which I didn't have, so I fabricated my own tool using bolt and nut

https://youtube.com/shorts/CB8ogb7KKJs?feature=share

2. How to remove the circlip on the forks in order to disassemble the forks. It was difficult so I had to do it with the forks still installed but the handlebar removed

https://youtube.com/shorts/XezTumqzRoI?feature=share

3. How the new seals will be driven in to seat and seal properly - there are special tools for this, but expensive for one use. So I used electrical tape as shown in the video, although PVC pipe can also be used for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-anuez0pZU

While you are there dash me a like and a subscription on my YouTube channel.
Gracias!

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:07pm On May 07, 2023
Presently on a trip around Nigeria with Simba
Trip started from Lagos Nigeria
Went through Epe stopped at Benin, from Benin stopped again at Owerri, from Owerri through Umuahia stopped at ikot eyo in Akwa Ibom State, from ikot eyo presently at Calabar in Rivers State thought of going into Cameroon because it's very close on the map, unfortunately am not with my passport so I won't risk it.

Tomorrow I will be heading to the obudu cattle range, and then Abuja

5 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Kasdat5(m): 10:47pm On May 07, 2023
uwemjack:
Presently on a trip around Nigeria with Simba
Trip started from Lagos Nigeria
Went through Epe stopped at Benin, from Benin stopped again at Owerri, from Owerri through Umuahia stopped at ikot eyo in Akwa Ibom State, from ikot eyo presently at Calabar in Rivers State thought of going into Cameroon because it's very close on the map, unfortunately am not with my passport so I won't risk it.

Tomorrow I will be heading to the obudu cattle range, and then Abuja

Lovely , my kinda thread . Godspeed..

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by cowboyT: 11:45pm On May 07, 2023
uwemjack:
Grip Puppies
So I recently went for a ride and forgot to pick my gloves, I was maybe 500m from the house when I realized no gloves on, instead of going back i decided to ride on, it was a mistake! The handlebar rubber on the bike is very worn!
I should add that I have been experiencing some discomfort and numbness on long rides
The ride was like 64km to and fro and boy the discomfort was "worser"!!! it just would not happen again!!!
Thankfully i had ordered grip puppies which is just 4mm of foam that slides on the handlebars and acts like padding, the pair delivered was at $1.25, it reduces transmitted vibrations and discomfort or numbness. I had it on my other bike.

Video of the installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6NU9JWJSk

but it could have been bought in some spare part store here.
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 12:25am On May 08, 2023
cowboyT:

but it could have been bought in some spare part store here.

Added it to other items I got, but I have since replaced it with a local one, unfortunately there is non in a single colour (black) have to settle with what is available.

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:11pm On May 08, 2023
Now at obudu mountain range

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 4:48pm On May 09, 2023
Nature!

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:19am On May 11, 2023
Departure from obudu ranch

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:50pm On May 13, 2023
In Abuja

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:55pm On May 13, 2023
Ondo city

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 9:56pm On May 17, 2023
So my tour was through the Southern to the North central of Nigeria.

From Lagos - Ondo, Edo, Delta, Anambra, Imo, Abia, Akwa-ibom, Cross-river, Benue, Nasarawa and Abuja.

From Abuja - Kogi, Ekiti, Osun, Ondo, Ogun and then Lagos.

Total distance covered - about 2,600km
Total states visited - 15nr
Average fuel consumption - 1litre for 22.5km
Longest distance travelled in a day - about 700km (Abuja to Lagos)
Shortest - about 190km
Hotels stays -7nights
Total expenses ₦******
Fun level - 9/10
Stress level - 4/10 (seat not comfortable)
Challenges - non
Issues - dropped bike at a police check point between ore and edo about 150km into the ride, loose gravel! Ego bruised, slider lost.
Drove into the eye of a storm and out on my way back to Lagos between Ondo and Ogun State.
Went through some bad roads in Cross-river caused my spare fuel tank to come loose and the tyre doing a number on it till it started leaking.

Overall it was a good experience

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 12:37pm On May 21, 2023
Did some diagnostic on Simba today to confirm that apart from the two original issues which where:
1. Left and right front signal open circuit as a result of the installed led indicators. The resistors I bought from AliExpress was bad so issue is still pending
2. Rear light open circuit caused by missing alarm battery, and or a cut to install an accessory.

There was no additional issues.

While the scanner was connected...
* I reset the service minder as I didn't do it all the last oil change.
* Also reset the date and time

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 1:08pm On May 21, 2023
Bent gear lever
Using a 2ft long round pipe, I was able to adjust the gear lever back to its original shape/position, while still attached to the bike.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Women Safer Drivers Than Men? / My Ford Focus Displays Engine Systems Fault / How Many Of These Car Emblems Do You Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.