Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) (8722 Views)

I'm Joining The Powerbike Gang / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video / Would You Buy This Beautifully Restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL For N35.7m? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:37pm On Oct 06, 2022
The story continues from...

https://www.nairaland.com/7219300/uwemjacks-mufasa-motorcycle/1

The picture below is the exact representation of how the bike was bought of course not in prestine condition as it's Nigerian used

6 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by diportivo: 5:45am On Oct 07, 2022
murife.................. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 11:53am On Oct 07, 2022
diportivo:
murife.................. cheesy

Meaning?
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by diportivo: 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
uwemjack:

Meaning?

it means

make u no too dey run with the thing sir

3 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 12:48pm On Oct 09, 2022
Detailed specification of the bike
Model BMW F 800 ST
Year 2008
Category Sport touring

Engine and transmission
Displacement 798.0 cc
Engine type Twin, four-stroke
Power 83.8 HP @ 8000 RPM
Torque 86.0 Nm @ 5800 RPM
Valves per cylinder 4
Fuel system Injection. Electronic intake pipe injection / digital engine management (BMS-K)
Cooling system Liquid
Gearbox 6-speed
Transmission type Belt (final drive)
Clutch Multiple-disc clutch in oil bath, mechanically operated
Fuel consumption 3.40 litres/100 km (29.4 km/l or 69.18 mpg)

Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Frame type Bridge-type aluminium frame, load-bearing engine
Rake (fork angle) 25.8°
Trail 95 mm
Front suspension Telescopic fork, Ø 43 mm
Front wheel travel 140 mm
Rear suspension Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with eccentric adjustment for rear axle, central spring strut, spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
Rear wheel travel 140 mm
Front tire 120/70-17
Rear tire 180/55-17
Front brakes Double disc
Diameter 320 mm
Rear brakes Single disc
Diameter 265 mm
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight 182.0 kg
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc 204.0 kg
Seat height 820 mm If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall length 2082 mm
Overall width 860 mm
Wheelbase 1466 mm
Fuel capacity 16.00 litres
Reserve fuel capacity 2.00 litres
Modified:
The bike has ABS

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 2:01pm On Oct 09, 2022
The bike came installed with
1. Radar detector, to identify and notify if a speed Radar is close by so the rider can refuse his speed. Since our people don't use Radar here I have disconnected and removed the two part item from the bike.
2. ETC card reader for toll gates with signal, card reader and anthena. The 3 parts have also been removed.
3. It also had a police siren with blue and red led flashers and controllers. I removed the siren and will repurpose the lights because the more lights on a bike the better for safety

I will put the parts up on eBay just in case there's an "oyinbo" who may be interested in buying it, or if anyone is interested in buying please indicate.

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2022
4. Helmet lock - The bike also came with an aftermarket helmet lock, unfortunately the seller said he bought the bike like that without the key, so I am removing it too as it's unwanted unuseful weight.

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by RuneKingThor: 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2022
uwemjack:

Meaning?
Don't ran grin grin
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by Angrygoat: 7:41am On Oct 10, 2022
Mjibeh mjibeh.... don't ran..wait,it won't bite u. Don't ran
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:50pm On Oct 10, 2022
My Experience with the f800st so far
1. Brake - the brake is very very reliable! Both the front and back. It stops the bike where you want it to stop, even in an emergency situation. Brembo brakes are awesome! All my future bikes must have Brembo brakes.
2. Stability - the bike is pretty stable in sand and on gravel. In the straits and in corners.
I discovered I can come to a full stop without dropping my leg in traffic and the bike stays upright, this is compared to my just sold first bike.
3. Comfort - the upright riding position is more comfortable but the handle bar seems to be too far, resulting in back and wrist strain, so I will need to install handle bar risers to take the bars up and closer to me which should be more comfortable.
Hot air from the engine blows to my knees and shin especially in traffic which will be good in cool weather but uncomfortable in the heat of the day.
The seat is comfortable to an extent but I feel if I have to ride it the whole day it may not be, this is an assumption.
Also the topcase and panniers are comfort items to me for when I need to carry some stuff, meaning I will ride it more than the car�.
4. Speed - since the bike is not and would not be taken on a track, just regular commute the speed is enough. I am yet to test its limits though. But it's more than ok for now

8 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:54pm On Oct 10, 2022
diportivo:

it means
Which dialect is this?

RuneKingThor:

Don't ran grin grin
Ok

Angrygoat:
Mjibeh mjibeh.... don't ran..wait,it won't bite u. Don't ran
It won't bite ke!
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 12:06pm On Oct 11, 2022
Mods I will be making on Simba
1. Install handlebar raisers - to improve the upright position and eliminate wrists and back stress.

2. Install handle bar mounted rear mirrors - the factory mirrors have weak joints so when I go above 80km/h the fold inwards thereby becoming useless. I have to stop the bike return them back not fun. So I downloaded an STL file someone in US had designed to solve it and 3D print the support ( I have a 3d printer) below is a short video of my printer working on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myX79dCFZKo
One of them broke while I was filtering through traffic hence my decision.

3. Mount 2 lights on the front fairings - this will be mounted to the point where the factory rear mirrors are installed

4. Install new windshield - I don't see clearly through the presently installed one, also it had been previously painted by one of the previous owners.
This vlog shows it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30KobLeGOo

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2022
Installed 3d printed part to support the side mirror

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:18am On Oct 15, 2022
So the handlebar risers and the handlebars clamp for the side mirrors arrived finally!

The Handlebar risers was offered in a variety of colours but I picked the silver coloured to suit the handle bars.

The clamps on the other hand is black but unfortunately the holes didn't fit exactly, so I had to expand the holes

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 4:14pm On Oct 15, 2022
The handlebars mirror clamps are a replacement for the brake and clutch top clamps as such it's fixed directly to the levels. This helps to not clutter the handlebars with different clamps.
Even though it's not a perfect let's see how study it is..
More pics...

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 9:30pm On Oct 20, 2022
Update:
The handlebar risers has been installed, however I had some challenges.
From my research on the installation of risers many recommended that the clutch cable, throttle cable and break line will need to be replaced with longer ones to maintain the slack in the lines, this was discouraging as I did not want to embark on those extensive mods.
Luckily for me I saw a write up by a rider who installed risers without replacing any other parts. By merely rerouting the lines especially the brake line.
I adopted his method rerouting the brake line and loosely ziptie the clutch lime to prevent it from rubbing against other parts.
So I loosed the front parts, up to the headlights and rerouted all the lines tested and corrected severally by turning the bike from one end to the other to ensure the lines are moving freely.
Then installed the removed parts and took the bike for a test ride.
I have since taking the bike out severally and everything is smooth.

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by solarpanel1: 6:19am On Oct 21, 2022
Solar energy is the technology used to harness the sun's energy and make it useable. As of 2011, the technology produced less than one tenth of one percent of global energy demand.Many are familiar with so-called photovoltaic cells, or solar panels, found on things like spacecraft, rooftops, and handheld calculators. https://penzu.com/p/51059859
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 9:40am On Oct 22, 2022
Battery issues
So I have been away for a couple of days and the battery of Simba is completely flat. It has been giving symptoms though.
I have a battery charger and would recharge it but I will have to buy a new battery ASAP...

Am in the lookout for a 12v 12ah battery, who dey sell

3 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 9:12am On Nov 11, 2022
New windshield!
So the windshield I ordered finally arrived and it was installed. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research before selecting the new windshield, it was shorter by 2inch and the ergonomic not too good.
Took it for a ride and the air buffeting was so serious that I am considering cleaning and using the old one (What I should have done before).

Fog lights
The fog light I got off AliExpress arrived and I installed them, wired it into the canbus system using the provided navigation plug. In fact all my addons has been wired into the BMW canbus system as a way to conserve the battery charge, and I used a male plug I ordered to ensure a clean wiring

Air filter
Also changed the air filter, the previous owner never changed it. I have tried cleaning it twice already and the dirt that came out of it the first time was mind numbing! Observation after the change is improved fuel economy! Wow!

https://youtube.com/shorts/Omx80S2zMWo?feature=share

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 2:36pm On Nov 11, 2022
Fender extender
So the front tire splashes mud on the radiator, oil filter and oil cooler when I ride especially after it rains or while it's raining.
The aftermath is an eyesore!
To eliminate this, I installed the fender extender ordered from China it came with the screw, nut and washer. As you can see after a ride today on a wet road the radiator is still clean, not same for Oil filter and cooler.
Installation was easy, just remove the fender, align mark and drill both fender and extender, screw, bolt and tighten the two parts. Then install fender back on the bike.

3 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 12:47am On Nov 17, 2022
Grip Puppies
So I recently went for a ride and forgot to pick my gloves, I was maybe 500m from the house when I realized no gloves on, instead of going back i decided to ride on, it was a mistake! The handlebar rubber on the bike is very worn!
I should add that I have been experiencing some discomfort and numbness on long rides
The ride was like 64km to and fro and boy the discomfort was "worser"!!! it just would not happen again!!!
Thankfully i had ordered grip puppies which is just 4mm of foam that slides on the handlebars and acts like padding, the pair delivered was at $1.25, it reduces transmitted vibrations and discomfort or numbness. I had it on my other bike.

Video of the installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6NU9JWJSk

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 8:21pm On Nov 24, 2022
Auxiliary lights
So I took a short video to show the front view of the additional lights I installed on Simba.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0FskaZxCw5c?feature=share

1 Like

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2022
uwemjack:
Battery issues
So I have been away for a couple of days and the battery of Simba is completely flat. It has been giving symptoms though.
I have a battery charger and would recharge it but I will have to buy a new battery ASAP...

Am in the lookout for a 12v 12ah battery, who dey sell

After further research the rated battery size for the BMW f800st is 12v /14ah against what I have in it which is 12ah instead of 14ah, maybe this is contributing to the battery drainage or not.
So price range for the new 14ah battery ranges between 28k to 68k depending on who is selling and brand.

Since the only thing I don't enjoy is opening up the bike and removing the battery to charge in the house every time the battery drains. I came up with the idea of running cables directly from the battery head to a point on the bike where I can charge the battery without opening or taking it out of the bike. More like a battery tender
With this I will not need to buy a battery yet and it will cost me less than 2k.

So I ordered 2 set of ready made cables with installed fuse and waterproof insulated connectors, 1 set from the battery and the other set from the charger with both having socket and plug for connection.
Pics 1 cable from battery
Pics 2 cable from charger
Pics 3 typical connector
Pic 4 installed on bike and connected to battery charger.

I connected to the battery and tied the excess cable to the fairing close to the forks.
Tested and it worked!

2 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 8:56pm On Dec 29, 2022
Rear Break pad change...
So I was planning about 600km road trip on Simba. Created a checklist to ensure the bike was in top condition.

The rear break pad didn't pass the check as it had worn to almost flat, even though it was still performing optimally. The front pads on the other hand is still full.

So I ordered 3 sets of break pads, two set for the front and I set for the rear. It eventually arrived and I will be replacing the rear pads only while the front will be stored for future use.

Went to YouTube to watch the how to, closest video shows that rear tyre has to be removed to change the rear pads, too much work as I don't care about removing the wheel! Went to my e-manual so that I didn't need to remove the wheel.
My steps for this replacement where
1. Put the bike on its centre stand
2. Remove the split pin keeper
3. Remove retaining pin using a screw driver and a hammer
4. Remove the pads
5. Press back the caliper piston using a screw driver
6. Install new break pads
7. Install the retaining pin
8. Install the pin keeper
9. Press the breaks several times
10. Drink a can of malt�

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2022
Just because...

4 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 12:24pm On Dec 31, 2022
Clutch play adjustment.
Today I adjusted the clutch cable to achieve the right "play"/slack, apparently it was too taught.
Adjusted at both the handle lever and the clutch case.
- At the clutch case loosened the upper nut away from the bracket and pushed the threaded end of the clutch cable casing downwards
- turned the lower nut towards the bracket
- Check the play
- tighten and loose both nuts until desired play is achieved
- tighten both screws towards the bracket
At the handle bar
- adjust the knob clockwise one turn at a time
- check the slack after each turn
- measure to confirm the play
- Plan was 4mm but I left it at 3mm play
- too early to drink malt today cool

I also installed a phone holder and charger while I was at it, mounted it with the mirror

3 Likes

Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by phantom53(m): 5:44pm On Jan 08, 2023
Hey, so my friend and I are interested in getting a bike yeah, a standard/naked one around 250cc I have watched a couple of youtube videos about bikes, and all. we've checked Jiji for bikes but we haven't seen anything we like, I was wondering if you could point us to where you got yours, and if you have any useful tips for us as all of the videos I have watched are from people not living in Nigeria
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by AdeKing001w: 8:19pm On Jan 08, 2023
Don't run

it means

make u no too dey run with the thing sir[/quote]
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:52pm On Jan 09, 2023
phantom53:
Hey, so my friend and I are interested in getting a bike yeah, a standard/naked one around 250cc I have watched a couple of youtube videos about bikes, and all. we've checked Jiji for bikes but we haven't seen anything we like, I was wondering if you could point us to where you got yours, and if you have any useful tips for us as all of the videos I have watched are from people not living in Nigeria

The bikes used by dispatch riders are usually 200 to 250cc, some of them are naked while others have the sport fairings look.
They are not so expensive used but the new ones are.
Anywhere they sell dispatch bikes is a sure bet. Jiji is also a good place to look, other bikers is a another source, but if you still can see the one you like you can import from China check e_bikes on Instagram.
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:54pm On Jan 09, 2023
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 7:54pm On Jan 09, 2023
AdeKing001w:
Don't run

it means

Noted
Re: Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) by uwemjack(m): 5:07pm On Jan 23, 2023
Engine oil and filter change done!
Details up shortly

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! My Car's Auto Gear Is Misbehaving / Recent Install: Mercedes Benz C-class Android 7.1.1 4G LTE (see Pics) / The Dangers Of Driving With One Headlight At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.