Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use (27317 Views)

Abia State COVID-19 Taskforce Intercepts Car Carrying Bags Of Cannabis / Ganja Havens: Six Nigerian States With High Concentration Of Cannabis Plantation / 3 Islamic Clerics Arrested For Possession Of Human Parts In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by chokekachy: 9:48pm On Oct 07, 2022
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has said that Nigeria cannot emulate other countries legalising cannabis cultivation and usage due to the evil it would bring to the country.

The Chairman/Chief Executive of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd), said this on Friday when he hosted a delegation of Media Trust management, led by the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of Media Trust Group (MTG), Mounir Gwarzo, in his office.

According to him, the drug scourge concerns all Nigerians.

Marwa said, “It is everywhere. And it’s actually the number one problem because it’s also at the root of criminalities: the insurgents, the terrorists, bandits.

“We have about 15m Nigerians that use drugs and that is a very high prevalence which is approaching three times the global prevalence. When you talk drug, it is everywhere; every community has this problem and it’s now in families and neighborhoods. It’s critical for all of us as stakeholders to stand up and face this challenge.

“And it is in view of this that the President launched the war against drug abuse last year. The purpose of the war against drug abuse is to sensitize and make Nigerians themselves take the ownership of this war as their own personnel war because we’re all affected.”

He said that Nigerians must prioritise the anti-drug war to avoid the prediction of the United Nations (UN) that in another 20 years, the 15m drug users in the country may double.

“In the US, about 28 states have actually lifted the ban on cannabis. But only yesterday (Thursday) I was watching President Biden was in the process of lifting the ban. The circumstances are actually different.

“First of all, it is the law in Nigeria that possession of illicit substances is a crime. And now, it is left to the judgement of the judges to determine whether the possession elicits whatever punishment they deem fit.

“We in the NDLEA recognize it as a crime, but, using up all templates, whether the person who possesses (it) is dealing or is consuming it himself.

“We tend to not criminalise and punish users; ordinary users, if that’s what they’re doing. What we do, instead, we treat them and I think this point is very important to the medicare. So, of about 18,900 arrests in the course of my tenure so far over, over 12,000 were counselled and treated.

“You would hear that we jailed over 2,904. In fact, the number is rising because only yesterday (Thursday) in Lagos, over 20 convictions were achieved and people look at that direction. But actually, we do even more in the treatment of those who are in possession, and we have to be very clear.”

https://dailytrust.com/why-nigeria-cant-legalise-cannabis-marwa

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Wholy: 9:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
Governments round the world are now going soft on marijuana

109 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by gurunlocker: 9:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
K

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by yemzone(m): 9:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
It's like you are contradicting yourself.

DJ play me Legalize it by Peter Tosh. cheesy

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by tunwumi: 9:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
Legalizing marijuana in Nigeria will be policy summersault. If we have people who can not reason easily but will think a con video with a label is truth and they have be living in " they said" for decades, marijuana will just be the nail on their coffin.

Infact with the ban, I think marijuana is what those people use as a flavour in their food which made their thinking shallow. With full release then, it can become water sterilizer for many.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by boocheey: 9:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Suchan(m): 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2022
K
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by FalseProphet1(m): 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2022
Anytime I see this man, I immediately remember the good old days in lagos. The days of operation sweep, those days when you can walk on the streets of lagos by 2am without any fear of being mobbed by urchins. Nigeria will be great again.

This I have seen.

186 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by bfn1: 9:54pm On Oct 07, 2022
So far, the NDLEA is the most efficient Federal law enforcement agency in Nigeria today.

My 2022 Man of the Year award goes to Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd).

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Mucokey(m): 9:54pm On Oct 07, 2022
shocked shocked ; undecided

As if the theses law enforcement agencies aren't the one actually abusing these drugs undecided undecided

8 Likes

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by AzuNas: 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Alright. . . . . . .Aje

Seed of wisdom if you know.

But why b say na only bad things we dey always copy from diz Americans.

Abeg
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Illegal1(m): 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Lite up my weed in peace jare...

8 Likes

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by NwaNimo1(m): 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Please clarify.......or are you also 'high'?

[img]https://giffiles./216/216346.gif[/img]

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Okay.
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Kingjite: 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
If na only Abba kayri or wetin dey day call Mr Supercop self u catch you try

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by inoki247: 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
lol ok use at ur own risk in front of NDLEA officers.....

2 Likes

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Danny50: 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
Thread 4 weed smokers

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
Its true
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by paramboos: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
Thank you for your understanding sir. Please help us and warn your boys...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by saintkel(m): 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
Dis guy is good
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Guyman01: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
One reality is that marijuana (igbo) doesn't make people mad, it's other drugs that causes ment, countries are taking a soft shift away from criminalisation of ganja and it's good that NDLEA is making this clarification.
Possession and use is different from dealership which is an offence currently

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by biggace(m): 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
Ok,we don hear

Next please.

2 Likes

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Starz825(m): 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
.m
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Vyreell(m): 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
whether the govt legalize it or not, weed is one of the most purchased commodity after garri. If ya new in the area, just look for one bike man there to take you to where you can get one grin

Like for MJ….Share for Cigarettes cool

57 Likes

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by socialmediaman: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Vilgax: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
although my love for igbeaux is unparalleled.

I can't deceive myself, Nigeria is not ready for marijuana legalisation.

even if we legalize it now, white boy carl and his frat bros are just going to come over here and take over the means of production and distribution because of our lack of experience in the global marijuana industry.

wouldn't it be a sight? white investors with almost total control of a product that can basically sedate the minds of youths in the most populous black nation on Earth; a KK Klansman's wet dream.

the most logical thing to do is basically decriminalisation of possession of a certain amount of marijuana for personal use.

P.S
to all the igbolabis out there, let's be real, marijuana is more than "just a plant", it's an actual mind altering drug.

when you take your first hit of the wacky tobaccy, you start a journey of self discovery that will either free you or utterly destroy you.

yes it has its benefits, but it's definitely not for everybody.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Streett: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
No 1 Problem is The Government….

Fuxckin do me Reefer all day !

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Konjiboii: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
Small small dem go legalize am. Na weed dey make men no dey para for street, if no be weed ehn them for don break bottle for politicians head tay tay

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by IrepChrist: 9:57pm On Oct 07, 2022
Stop desecrating God's temple. Quite smoking.

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 07, 2022
Security personnel are the highest consumer of cannabis and other hard drugs.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Melagros(m): 9:58pm On Oct 07, 2022
FalseProphet1:
Anytime I see this man, I immediately remember the good old days in lagos. The days of operation sweep, those days when you can walk on the streets of lagos by 2am without any fear of being mobbed by urchins. Nigeria will be great again.

This I have seen.
Is this all you've seen? Please I need more revelation grin

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Edo Farmer Hacks Wife With Cutlass, Commits Suicide / Man Sneaks Into Lady’s House For Sex, Lands In Prison / Rufus Giwa Polytechnic Student Shot Dead (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.