Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,543 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

ASUU’s Key Demands - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU’s Key Demands (1660 Views)

ASUU STRIKE: ASUU Key Demands - Vanguard / List Of ASUU Demands As Strike Is Suspended Conditionally / ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 5:48pm On Oct 08, 2022
ASUU’s key demands

1. Funding for the revitalisation of public universities. The Federal Government, in its agreement entered with the union in 2009 and 2013, agreed to inject a total of N1.3 trillion into public universities in six tranches, starting from 2013. Only N200 billion has been released since 2013.

2. Payment of earned academic allowances (EEA). The Federal Government had in 2019 agreed to pay lecturers EAA, but failed to implement it. The government finally agreed to pay the first tranche of the backlog of allowances in November 2019 and the second instalment by August 2020, but nothing was paid. In 2020, the Federal Government agreed to pay N40 billion. It also said it has released N22.127 billion earned allowances of both academic and non-academic workers of universities to 38 universities.

3. Reconstitution of the FGN/ASUU 2009 Renegotiation Committee. The Federal Government agreed to renegotiate the 2009 agreement to review university’s conditions of service, funding, university autonomy and academic freedom. The conditions of service included a separate salary structure for university lectures to be known as ‘Consolidated University Academic Salary Structure’. Thirteen years later, the government inaugurated a seven-man committee to renegotiate the 2019 agreement, led by Nimi Briggs.

4. Adoption of UTAS. ASUU kicked against the introduction of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS), and wants the government to accept its own UTAS.

5. Constitution of visitation panels. The union is demanding that the government ought to visit its universities every five years, according to the law, but the last visit was conducted in January 2011. The Nigerian government finally inaugurated 10 panels for 36 universities, six for 25 polytechnics, and five for 21 colleges of education.

6. Proliferation of universities.
The union is calling for the review of the Nigeria Universities Commission (2004) Act to tackle the proliferation of universities.

7. Withheld salaries and non-remittance of check-off dues. These are contained on December 22, 2020 Memorandum of Action. ASUU accused the Federal Government of deducting check-off dues on behalf of the union and refused to remit the same between February and June 2020.

8. Twenty-six percent budgetary allocation to the education sector. In a bid to improve the education sector, the union wants 26 percent of Nigeria’s annual budget to be allocated to education, and half of that allocation to universities.

https://businessday.ng/news/article/explainer-asuus-demands-and-what-government-has-met/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by Ebubu: 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2022
who wants to know undecided

resume or your license will be withdrawn

God bless CONUA

6 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by seunlayi(m): 6:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
Ebubu:

And let them start submitting Cv's to Filing stations grin grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 6:27pm On Oct 08, 2022
Ebubu:

You should want to know. But since you don't want to know, please enjoy your break from being lectured by me and may your enjoyment last long.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunlayi:

Filling station? When my knowledge and skills are being demanded all over the world where I can remote work from my village?

You so funny indeed.
Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by Ebubu: 6:38pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunlayi:

and POS jobs

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 6:48pm On Oct 08, 2022
Now, if only all students can be as smart as this!

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/articles/ckk2wv153kro

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2022

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by Goldmaxx(f): 7:22pm On Oct 08, 2022
budaatum:

You should want to know. But since you don't want to know, please enjoy your break from being lectured by me and may your enjoyment last long.
You're in Shithole Nigeria fighting for rights in America. Why not let Americans fight for America?
Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2022
seunlayi:

Your short-sightedness will not allow you to see that ASUU is fighting for your children not to be only good enough to be a filling station worker. If things continue this way, in 10 years, a Nigerian degree won’t be worth the paper it is printed on.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 7:40pm On Oct 08, 2022
IT HAS JUST BEGAN.
The FG is using the judiciary to compel ASUU to go back to work and bring an end to our patriotic struggle.

They think it is through the use of law that they can strangulate us and then deliver the final blow after suffocating us for long using the evil ploy of "No work no pay".

Fellow Colleagues "enough is enough", since all our legitimate appeal - to get the FG understand and do the needful and save the Universities from total collapse- fell on deaf ears. It is time to let the cat out, i.e.
we have for long been toiling to curtail the rot in the system, believing that FG will honour its side of bargain and meet up with its obligation. But no, what we got in the end is despise and an all out war to subjugate ASUU so that the public Universities can finally be annihilated.

IF eventually we decide to be "law abiding citizens" and the strike is suspended, we should then STRICTLY abide by the laws governing our responsibilities in terms of work load.

We shall henceforth:
(1) ONLY teach the approved number of students,

(2) ONLY supervise the approved number of students,

(3) work for only the approved duration. No more overload of courses.

(4) ensure that laboratory practicals are conducted only for the approved number of students.

Of course we should ensure that our colleagues in training are among those considered in 1 to 4 above.

(5) those with administrative responsibilities especially Dean's & HODs should stop using their personal money to run the system.

(6) just use sign language to deliver the lecture, if we're not provided with teaching materials.

(7) those going for external examinations should only participate after they are fully paid. Remember the remaining part of the allowance has persistently been pending since 2009.

(cool stop using our PCs to do university work. We can all queue up to use the computer in the exam office (since it is the only one provided by the university). The waiting time will definitely be long before it gets to our turn to use it, but why worry.

(9) where we are forced to teach an overpopulated class, we should mark, submit and consider result for only the number of student approved by the University law.

(10) stop carrying the burden of the system on us beyond what the law says. Remember the excess work we've been doing (whose allowance we've earned and is yet to be paid since 2009) is what causes accelerated ageing, the proliferation of gray hairs, rapid depreciation of sight and hypertension (mind you these are not reversable.

There is no better time to be law abiding than now.

I come in peace
Badruddeen Saulawa Sani

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by JJuanMiguel: 7:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
Rest.
Nigerians will take care of that by voting visionary leaders at the poll cos that's the only solution, as you must have found out yourself.
Absconding from work for 8 months is not the solution to the problem.
Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by JJuanMiguel: 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2022
HitRun:
IT HAS JUST BEGAN.
The FG is using the judiciary to compel ASUU to go back to work and bring an end to our patriotic struggle.

They think it is through the use of law that they can strangulate us and then deliver the final blow after suffocating us for long using the evil ploy of "No work no pay".

Fellow Colleagues "enough is enough", since all our legitimate appeal - to get the FG understand and do the needful and save the Universities from total collapse- fell on deaf ears. It is time to let the cat out, i.e.
we have for long been toiling to curtail the rot in the system, believing that FG will honour its side of bargain and meet up with its obligation. But no, what we got in the end is despise and an all out war to subjugate ASUU so that the public Universities can finally be annihilated.

IF eventually we decide to be "law abiding citizens" and the strike is suspended, we should then STRICTLY abide by the laws governing our responsibilities in terms of work load.

We shall henceforth:
(1) ONLY teach the approved number of students,

(2) ONLY supervise the approved number of students,

(3) work for only the approved duration. No more overload of courses.

(4) ensure that laboratory practicals are conducted only for the approved number of students.

Of course we should ensure that our colleagues in training are among those considered in 1 to 4 above.

(5) those with administrative responsibilities especially Dean's & HODs should stop using their personal money to run the system.

(6) just use sign language to deliver the lecture, if we're not provided with teaching materials.

(7) those going for external examinations should only participate after they are fully paid. Remember the remaining part of the allowance has persistently been pending since 2009.

(cool stop using our PCs to do university work. We can all queue up to use the computer in the exam office (since it is the only one provided by the university). The waiting time will definitely be long before it gets to our turn to use it, but why worry.

(9) where we are forced to teach an overpopulated class, we should mark, submit and consider result for only the number of student approved by the University law.

(10) stop carrying the burden of the system on us beyond what the law says. Remember the excess work we've been doing (whose allowance we've earned and is yet to be paid since 2009) is what causes accelerated ageing, the proliferation of gray hairs, rapid depreciation of sight and hypertension (mind you these are not reversable.

There is no better time to be law abiding than now.

I come in peace
Badruddeen Saulawa Sani

Lol, these lecturers don't even do up to 1/4 of the work they are meant to do in the first place.

Some won't even show up at all during the semester, but only send lecture notes online.

Some will only appear thrice max

6 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2022
Goldmaxx:
You're in Shithole Nigeria fighting for rights in America. Why not let Americans fight for America?

You don't know where I am, Gold. I do not share your "Shithole Nigeria" ideology, because if Nigeria is a Shithole then Nigerians are the shit in that hole and I don't accept that Nigerians are shit, thank you very much

I can fight for anything I want wherever I may be, and this thread is about Nigeria and not about America, least not last time I checked.

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 8:05pm On Oct 08, 2022
JJuanMiguel:
Rest.
Nigerians will take care of that by voting visionary leaders at the poll cos that's the only solution, as you must have found out yourself.
Absconding from work for 8 months is not the solution to the problem.

If only ASUU would go back to work and follow the law. But I know they will not because they want to save the largely ignorant masses that you represent. If ASUU goes back to work, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth from the masses. The university system will be thrown into chaos. Why?

The lecturer to student ratio for an engineering class is 1 lecturer to 15 students. How many students do you normally see in an engineering class? Average of 100.

Yes, ASUU should resume and follow the law! Let the remaining 85 students go and take their lectures at the ministry of labour.

Imagine colleges of arts and social sciences where the ratio is like 1 lecturer to 25 students but classes are as large as 200. I laugh. Nigerians don’t know the time bomb they are playing with.

Anyway, I know ASUU is too patriotic to allow this. They will disobey the court rule just to protect the Nigerian university.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 8:06pm On Oct 08, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

Lol, these lecturers don't even do up to 1/4 of the work they are meant to do in the first place.

Some won't even show up at all during the semester, but only send lecture notes online.

Some will only appear thrice max

Do you even know the work Lecturers are supposed to do?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 8:13pm On Oct 08, 2022
HitRun:

Your short-sightedness will not allow you to see that ASUU is fighting for your children not to be only good enough to be a filling station worker. If things continue this way, in 10 years, a Nigerian degree won’t be worth the paper it is printed on.

If only they knew.

Most Nigerian university degrees are worth less than A'Levels in UK, and for those of you who are too young to remember, that's like 2 years study after O'Levels that used to allow you to skip the first year in university.

But instead of fighting for ASUU lecturers who are fighting for the future of students and education in Nigeria, some gullible students are fighting ASUU lecturers.

Pity.
Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by xtivin2: 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2022
budaatum:
ASUU’s key demands

1. Funding for the revitalisation of public universities. The Federal Government, in its agreement entered with the union in 2009 and 2013, agreed to inject a total of N1.3 trillion into public universities in six tranches, starting from 2013. Only N200 billion has been released since 2013.

2. Payment of earned academic allowances (EEA). The Federal Government had in 2019 agreed to pay lecturers EAA, but failed to implement it. The government finally agreed to pay the first tranche of the backlog of allowances in November 2019 and the second instalment by August 2020, but nothing was paid. In 2020, the Federal Government agreed to pay N40 billion. It also said it has released N22.127 billion earned allowances of both academic and non-academic workers of universities to 38 universities.

3. Reconstitution of the FGN/ASUU 2009 Renegotiation Committee. The Federal Government agreed to renegotiate the 2009 agreement to review university’s conditions of service, funding, university autonomy and academic freedom. The conditions of service included a separate salary structure for university lectures to be known as ‘Consolidated University Academic Salary Structure’. Thirteen years later, the government inaugurated a seven-man committee to renegotiate the 2019 agreement, led by Nimi Briggs.

4. Adoption of UTAS. ASUU kicked against the introduction of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS), and wants the government to accept its own UTAS.

5. Constitution of visitation panels. The union is demanding that the government ought to visit its universities every five years, according to the law, but the last visit was conducted in January 2011. The Nigerian government finally inaugurated 10 panels for 36 universities, six for 25 polytechnics, and five for 21 colleges of education.

6. Proliferation of universities.
The union is calling for the review of the Nigeria Universities Commission (2004) Act to tackle the proliferation of universities.

7. Withheld salaries and non-remittance of check-off dues. These are contained on December 22, 2020 Memorandum of Action. ASUU accused the Federal Government of deducting check-off dues on behalf of the union and refused to remit the same between February and June 2020.

8. Twenty-six percent budgetary allocation to the education sector. In a bid to improve the education sector, the union wants 26 percent of Nigeria’s annual budget to be allocated to education, and half of that allocation to universities.

https://businessday.ng/news/article/explainer-asuus-demands-and-what-government-has-met/
It seems ASUU has no written agreement signed by FG in 2009, else that should be a major front in the court against FG. Government is using it against them I think

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by budaatum: 9:24pm On Oct 08, 2022
xtivin2:

It seems ASUU has no written agreement signed by FG in 2009, else that should be a major front in the court against FG. Government is using it against them I think

It seems like they might have signed an agreement. But who'd trust a Nigerian government to stick to a signed agreement?

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/fg-ASUU-end-rift-sign-deal/

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by xtivin2: 9:36pm On Oct 08, 2022
budaatum:

It seems like they might have signed an agreement. But who'd trust a Nigerian government to stick to a signed agreement?

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/fg-ASUU-end-rift-sign-deal/
Industrial Court sef is on Govt Payroll. Very sad, nothing like Judicial Autonomy in this country that's why Govt will always have the last laugh on anything she want and how she wants it. This regim has been worse, no check and balance in any arm. It's well o
Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by JJuanMiguel: 10:15pm On Oct 08, 2022
HitRun:

Do you even know the work Lecturers are supposed to do?
No i don't, i only see some of them in their old oversized okrika clothes with worn out shoes and dilapidated old model Toyota and Honda.
Someone said they serve food at event centers.

I'm not the one you'll bore with stories of research and community service

A typical Nigerian lecturer "research" is just a semi-plagiarized paperwork to fulfill all righteousness for the purpose of promotion alone. In one sentence alone, more than ten authors will be cited and they are incapable of discovering anything new.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 10:17pm On Oct 08, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

No i don't, i only see some of them in their old oversized okrika clothes with worn out shoes and dilapidated old model Toyota and Honda.
Someone said they serve food at event centers.

I'm not the one you'll bore with stories of research and community service

A typical Nigerian lecturer "research" is just a semi-plagiarized paperwork to fulfill all righteousness for the purpose of promotion alone. In one sentence alone, more than ten authors will be cited and they are incapable of discovering anything new.

Assuming but not conceding that all you have said is true, why do you think that is? Wouldn’t that be the reason to support the revamping of the Nigerian university system?

Can you now see that head or tail, you can’t fault what ASUU is fighting for?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by JJuanMiguel: 10:30pm On Oct 08, 2022
HitRun:

If only ASUU would go back to work and follow the law. But I know they will not because they want to save the largely ignorant masses that you represent. If ASUU goes back to work, there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth from the masses. The university system will be thrown into chaos. Why?

The lecturer to student ratio for an engineering class is 1 lecturer to 15 students. How many students do you normally see in an engineering class? Average of 100.

Yes, ASUU should resume and follow the law! Let the remaining 85 students go and take their lectures at the ministry of labour.

Imagine colleges of arts and social sciences where the ratio is like 1 lecturer to 25 students but classes are as large as 200. I laugh. Nigerians don’t know the time bomb they are playing with.

Anyway, I know ASUU is too patriotic to allow this. They will disobey the court rule just to protect the Nigerian university.

The same way they are patriotic to start lamenting about empty stomach after wasting a whole academic session cheesy

Lol, you are just indicting those good for nothing perverts. NUC allocate quota to different programs based on the available human and materials resources.

But ASUU and the universities will still go ahead and admit above the quota, a course of 50 quota will admit 200 after they must have collected bribes from parents and guardians, that's when you'll hear HOD list, VC list, Dean list. You are here talking about ratio cheesy

They should set cut off mark and admit the qualified candidates, that's nuc and jamb guidelines, not everyone will go to university.
But ASUU and co will rather over-admit and go on strike for it after 2 months.

ASUU won't only resume shamefully next week, they will also become weak.
Same way i warned them about a possible embarrassment when they were talking about going to appeal court.

Nigerians will vote in good leaders who will put things in place. However, there won't be any hiding place for the lazy lecturers who are always looking forward to go on strike to go and rest while facing their private businesses.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by JJuanMiguel: 10:32pm On Oct 08, 2022
HitRun:

Assuming but not conceding that all you have said is true, why do you think that is? Wouldn’t that be the reason to support the revamping of the Nigerian university system?

Can you now see that head or tail, you can’t fault what ASUU is fighting for?
So is absconding from work for 8 months the step needed to revamp the Nigerian university system?

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 10:37pm On Oct 08, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

So is absconding from work for 8 months the step needed to revamp the Nigerian university system?

All the time they have been shouting for govt. to do the needful before the strike, where were you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 10:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

The same way they are patriotic to start lamenting about empty stomach after wasting a whole academic session cheesy

Lol, you are just indicting those good for nothing perverts. NUC allocate quota to different programs based on the available human and materials resources.

But ASUU and the universities will still go ahead and admit above the quota, a course of 50 quota will admit 200 after they must have collected bribes from parents and guardians, that's when you'll hear HOD list, VC list, Dean list. You are here talking about ratio cheesy

They should set cut off mark and admit the qualified candidates, that's nuc and jamb guidelines, not everyone will go to university.
But ASUU and co will rather over-admit and go on strike for it after 2 months.

ASUU won't only resume shamefully next week, they will also become weak.
Same way i warned them about a possible embarrassment when they were talking about going to appeal court.

Nigerians will vote in good leaders who will put things in place. However, there won't be any hiding place for the lazy lecturers who are always looking forward to go on strike to go and rest while facing their private businesses.

Lol. When you know the difference between ASUU and govt. appointed school administrators, you can comeback so we can have productive debate.

Just to enlighten you a bit; school administrators who decide how public universities are run are appointed by the govt. directly or otherwise. ASUU have been clamoring for the govt to supervise these same appointees so that they adhere to standards and are financially accountable, but as usual, govt has turn a deaf ear. Heard of the visitation panel and white paper release demand of ASUU? “Go and verify” *~in Peter Obi’s voice*

Shallom!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by JJuanMiguel: 10:45pm On Oct 08, 2022
HitRun:

All the time they have been shouting for govt. to do the needful before the strike, where were you?
Or rather where was ASUU common sense that the strike wasn't working and the strike won't work?
They can go on strike for 2 years, it won't affect the government and the government won't yield to them.

1 Like

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 10:50pm On Oct 08, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

Or rather where was ASUU common sense that the strike wasn't working and the strike won't work?
They can go on strike for 2 years, it won't affect the government and the government won't yield to them.

Stop shifting the goal post. Answer the simple question, “where were you and what was your stance on govt. refusing to do what they said they would do (not previous govt o, agreement made by this govt.) before ASUU decided to say ‘enough!’ and went on strike?”

Infact the govt gave a time line with dates. They didn’t keep to any of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by seunlayi(m): 12:32am On Oct 09, 2022
HitRun:

Will you keep shut? children or their purse?

Having the heart of going for 8 months strike shows that they are wicked and killer of destiny

3 Likes

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by HitRun(m): 12:54am On Oct 09, 2022
seunlayi:

Will you keep shut? children or their purse?

Having the heart of going for 8 months strike shows that they are wicked and killer of destiny

Which destiny are you talking about? The one that your government has used to play blotting and lost? Young man, start thinking of your children cos I doubt your generation can recover from the damage that has been done to you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU’s Key Demands by Nobody: 1:12am On Oct 09, 2022
Did country Nawa ohh
Hope still dey for us so embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oou Post Ume Result / Abu Remedial(sbrs) Screening Exams Is On November 19 2008 / Come On And Study In Usa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.