Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? (14241 Views)

Why Do Students Hate/afraid Of Mathematics? / Why Do Students Hate Education Courses? / Why Nigerian Students Hate Fuji Music? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Larrylarex(m): 7:45pm On Aug 16, 2011
There's been an increase in the number of students who revealed that they hate Maths, which made them prefer Arts subjects to science subjects. If you do not like Maths let us know your reason(s).
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by amblors(m): 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2011
I guess its simple as been "hard for them"

they keep been asked to find "X" and "Y" grin grin
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by amblors(m): 10:38pm On Aug 16, 2011
;d
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 16, 2011
I hated mathematics from primary school till secondary school. I cheated my way through secondary school until i took SSCE and my yansh was exposed! One year of tutoring from a Mechanical Engineering graduate in Nigeria that worked for my dad turned me into a Math Guru from an OLODO! I hated math because i was scared of my teachers and the method they had used while growing up! Today i can proudly hold up my head and say the least grade I have had in any Math course in College from Calc 1 to calc 4 (differential equations) was an A-. Math went from my worst enemy to my best friend, and it bolstered my aptitude skills in general!
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2011
its something that needs to be worked on, if true.

nigeria used to have a lot of math whizzes.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by chelseabmw(m): 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2011
lol
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Princek12(m): 11:42pm On Aug 16, 2011
I think a lot of students hate maths because most teachers don't do a good job in relating the usefulness of maths to every day life. Besides the basic addition, subtraction, and multiplication, many students don't know why they are learning maths. This may make them hate it.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 11:45pm On Aug 16, 2011
math requires a lot of practice, and i suspect some students who arent math geniuses but who might still be good at it if they worked harder, simply arent ready to make time for that.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 16, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin
my life was much when maths was about numbers
later this nonsense started marrying alphabet
E.G 2 + x mulitiply by B
very ridiculous
find y when x isnt given
where is y i dont knw
all i knw is y has a long tail and two branches
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 16, 2011
Because most Nigerian maths teachers try as much as possible to make it seem as intractable as possible. . .

. . .but e even be like say dem get more people wey dey goodu for maths pass people wey dey goodu for English sef.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by amblors(m): 11:50pm On Aug 16, 2011
guess this sums it, but on a serious note,
i guess its kinda abstract for em.
few give up before they put in plenty effort,
atimes some concepts are hard to grab until you get the right teacher.
it only gets worse by the day.

Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 11:51pm On Aug 16, 2011
but e even be like say dem get more people wey dey goodu for maths pass people wey dey goodu for English sef.

^^not sure but that's a bit doubtful.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by amblors(m): 11:54pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^
in my secondary school, SS2 to be precise,
half of us would have been asked to repeat coz most of us scored below 50 in English but passed maths.

thats just my school and that set though.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 11:58pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^oh, ok.

however, maybe you were in a science class?

there's usually one of those, one social science, two arts, one one more which doesnt come to mind.

or two sciences, one social, one arts, etc etc.

not sure what the current system is.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by amblors(m): 11:59pm On Aug 16, 2011
^^^

smart guess yea, twas a science school, still we were been thought english so that aint an excuse.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 12:00am On Aug 17, 2011
many people who are good at math might be lower in english.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 12:00am On Aug 17, 2011
i mean might not do so well in english though this isnt always the case.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 12:01am On Aug 17, 2011
@ topic

eastern europeans [in their countries] and asians seem to consistently do rather well in the sciences though.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by armyofone(m): 12:04am On Aug 17, 2011
hated maths in nigeria. i love math now.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Effiko(m): 12:05am On Aug 17, 2011
MATHS ?? Undoubtedly the best subject/course ever  . . . . . . .
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:06am On Aug 17, 2011
I think the right foundation has to be laid early on from nursery and primary school for maths to be an enjoyable subject.

I remember being lined up at the back of the classroom with other pupils in primary school, and made to recite the times table with our teacher (cane in hand) hovering around menancingly. I hated those sessions and my mind always seemed to go AWOL when it came to my turn to recite embarassed. Me always getting the hard ones like 7 or 9 times-table didn't help matters also angry.

Also, there needs to be more emphasis on smaller groups of pupils (like 5 per teacher) or study groups, for better interaction. Large classrooms helps those finding maths difficult to easily 'disappear', and they may feel embarrassed to ask questions if they're not moving at the same pace as most of their colleagues.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by babakels: 12:09am On Aug 17, 2011
i gues its because of the way its been taught.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 12:10am On Aug 17, 2011
i like geometry, some simple equations, and dont recall what else.

aside from that, need much practice.

quadratic equation in sec school was the subject feared by many, and which we all got goosebumps over even before the class.

people spoke of it in whispers as if na one dreaded masquerade.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by BABE3: 12:26am On Aug 17, 2011
Reason 1) Good maths teachers are HARD TO find nowadays! The teachers do understand what they're doing, however, transfering the knowledge is more complicated than it looks?  undecided

R2) Students are becoming lazier. Maths is not a lazy subject.  A quitter is not a mathematician! Nuff said.  cool

R3) Maths itself is a frustrating subject---even for the experts.

R4) There's something very ANNOYINGLY perculiar about MATHS: When solving an equation (for example), you'll know whether you're doing the right thing or the wrong thing. Plus, one slight mistake and you're done! grin

R5) Mathathematical concepts are very parallel. So therefore, when one does not grasp a concept, odds are it gonna mess most everything else up (Like a Domino effect).

IT'S EITHER YOU GET IT OR YOU DON'T<------that's Mr.maths for you.

Someone should create the physics version of this topic. I'd have a whole lot to say. grin
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Nobody: 12:30am On Aug 17, 2011
Used to complain about Maths until I met Physics.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 17, 2011
I remember in SS3, my best friend went to the board and solved a geometric proof my teacher was struggling with! I was stunned.
The teacher (A youth corp member) was very gracious in admitting defeat and he even applauded my friend. Tolu, I am talking about u oh!
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by kandiikane(m): 12:42am On Aug 17, 2011
I was very good at maths in school and I think what helped is the quantitative lessons we would get. I still want to learn more because almost everything is life has to do with it and I just need time to go online and study and learn by myself.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by amblors(m): 12:42am On Aug 17, 2011
We had this teacher in Uni that was lost on a computation the whole class knew and the guy was arguing with us, lol.
some lecturers funny sha
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by kandiikane(m): 12:43am On Aug 17, 2011
Can't modify so sorry for the errors grin
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Nobody: 12:54am On Aug 17, 2011
Cos it's only awesome and fun when I'm not lazy tongue
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 1:13am On Aug 17, 2011
By geometry i meant the basic stuff about parallelograms and calculating angles.

Nothing fancy.

Hope i used the right term sef.

And yes, teachers (both at home and in school) do play a big part in a student's math aptitude although you can lead a horse to water but getting it to is another thing entirely.

Hmm, now i remember one of the rare times i and my friends had evening lessons from one young guy who organized them. He did help me with my math understanding and was very professional in spite of the fact that he was dealing with mostly teenage girls.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 1:16am On Aug 17, 2011
I meant lead a horse to water but getting it to drink is something else entirely.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What This Girl Posted On Her FB Timeline / Is There Anything Special About Being A Graduate? / Evolution: People Then And Now(Funny Photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.