Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,739 members, 7,820,544 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? (14251 Views)

Why Do Students Hate/afraid Of Mathematics? / Why Do Students Hate Education Courses? / Why Nigerian Students Hate Fuji Music? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by olawalebabs(m): 10:10am On Aug 18, 2011
pleasers:

Math anxiety starts when teachers start to beat up students because they fail to solve a problem. Also, math is a form of building block, u miss a step, you aint gonna get the next. The earlier a student realizes this, the better it becomes for the student.
true talk, most maths teacher are always hot temper and wicked
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by psolly: 1:45pm On Aug 18, 2011
smileyMathematics was never my best subject from my primary school because my mathematics teacher was never friendly until my senior secondary school when i sat up tight because of my SSCE exams. From then till now i became a lover of mathematics because i discovered one of the reasons why i failed maths then was because of my impatience.
Just like me then i think one of the reasons student fail or hate maths is because it demand patience.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by olawalebabs(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2011
That is a another factor, discover yourself and you will excel.
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by vybe: 12:24pm On Aug 19, 2011
itv becouse it has to do wit number,and caculation
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by vybe: 12:25pm On Aug 19, 2011
angry cryitv becouse it has to do wit number,and caculation
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by OPEYEMIAD(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2011
i tank God for knowing such in mathematics but what is confusing me for them is that t=math will say
4+4=8 .
5+3=8
7+1=8
2+6=8
8+0=8
which one is the correct answer, L, o, L.lol
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by georessah(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2011
I think it has a lot to do with the teaching philosophy of mathematics in our educational systems. Being a Ghanaian, I believe the same problems are faced here in Ghana as there are in Nigeria. It is a very practical subject that must be made to bear a lot on everyday phenomena but the tuition doesn't reflect that. Most maths instructors teach maths in a way that makes it look too abstract for students. No application is allowed to be made to scientific everyday phenomena but rather just numbers and symbols. Maths is about application. You make a child visualize maths by making it possible for her to associate it with what she already knows around her. The opposite is, making it too abstract and much of an academic exercise which is the norm with instructors around here. Simply put, the style of teaching maths here doesn't make it exciting. It is boring.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by tpia5: 9:26pm On Sep 11, 2011
Senegal dreams of 'African Einstein' with new science hub

A mathematics institute which opened in Senegal this week is the first step to creating a west African science centre, which backers hope could produce the continent's own Albert Einstein.

The institute is the second of its kind on the continent. It is modelled after the African Institute of Mathematics (AIMS) opened in Cape Town in 2003. This new institute sprang out of a larger research and education centre (Cirem).

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5glw5ju7QZImWpfx6rdhRoMTiqhyQ?docId=CNG.f3d0496e61d6319e8fba0ef25f77bfcd.331
Re: Why Do Students 'hate' Mathematics? by Thatguyhaha0292: 4:43am On Apr 21, 2018
The primary reason that students hate math is that math is imparted to students in such a way that they view it as an abstract concept and are never fully able to fathom the reason why they should learn it.
and cuz it seems to come naturally to some people while not so much to others. So the not so much people are jealous/irritated shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Security Tips For University Students / Post-ume In Federal University Of Petroleum Resources, Effurun / Is There Anything Special About Being A Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.