Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Ibb Laments At 70: Blame Obasanjo For Power Failures, Regrets Killing Vatsa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb Laments At 70: Blame Obasanjo For Power Failures, Regrets Killing Vatsa (819 Views)

Achebe And Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 To Beg IBB To Spare Vatsa / Blame Obasanjo, Other Leaders For Nigeria’s Woes — SARAKI / Ibrahim Babangida As Mamman Vatsa's Bestman (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ibb Laments At 70: Blame Obasanjo For Power Failures, Regrets Killing Vatsa by Babasessy(m): 8:59am On Aug 17, 2011
IBB laments at 70: Blame Obasanjo for power failures

* Takes responsibility for June 12 annulment * Regrets killing Mamman Vatsa

Former Military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, has blamed ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo for the prevailing poor power supply in the country. He said Obasanjo-led administration wasted a whopping N16bn on electricity supply without result. He added, “If I were the one in government, I would gone beyond the normal light and provide nuclear power for the people.”

The former head of state added that during his tenure, he ruled the country for eight years with $11 price for a barrel of crude oil to achieve results, while others now rule with oil at over $100 per barrel with no achievements to show. “People have done comparative analyses of President Obasanjo’s eight-year rule and my own eight years and they said my own was better in delivering democracy dividends.” Babangida described the execution of Maj.- Gen. Mamman Vatsa during his reign as the most traumatic decision ever made.

He marks his 70th birthday today. Babangida, who stated this while fielding questions from journalists at his Hilltop residence in Minna , Niger State, yesterday said he prayed he never had to take such decision again. The septuagenarian said Vatsa, who was then the Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), was not only just a friend, but a brother and it was painful. He said: “The execution of Vatsa is the most traumatising decision I have ever been confronted with in my life. We were not only friends, but you can confidently refer to us as a family because our families and our extended families were close. “We knew ourselves as far back as in 1959 and we went to Government College, Bida, together.

We joined the Nigerian Army together, went to India together. So if I tell you that it was not traumatising for me, I am lying.” The former military president explained that the hands of the then Supreme Military Council were tied as his offence gave no room for no other punishment but a death sentence. He noted that if he had delayed in the verdict, there would have been problems. Babangida recalled how the granddaughter of the late Vatsa walked to him and asked him why he killed her grandfather, to which he replied that both of them were living in a complex environment and he had to do what he did because that was the only course of action.

Maj.-Gen. Vatsa was executed along with other military officers in 1986 for their involvement in a coup to topple Babangida’s regime. On the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, IBB said he had no regrets annulling it, adding that it would be stupid and cowardly for him not to take responsibility for the annulment. “You can call me the president, the dictator, but as a leader you must always accept responsibility, you don’t delegate it. It was debated upon; we got both the maj ority and the minority view, it was done in a democratic way. I’m happy I did it within the tenets of my convictions.” Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated Babangida on his 70th birthday.

Jonathan, in a letter to Babangida, prayed God to bless him with “many more years of robust health, prosperity and continued distinguished service to our nation.” The President said: “Looking back over the past 70 years, I am sure that you, your family and indeed your larger family of associates and admirers do have cause to be grateful to Almighty God for having granted you a life of great accomplishments and abiding fulfillment”. “You did not only rise to the pinnacle of your chosen career in the military, you also rose to become President of Nigeria for eight years,” President Jonathan said. He wished him a happy and memorable 70th birthday celebrations.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/18612.html
Re: Ibb Laments At 70: Blame Obasanjo For Power Failures, Regrets Killing Vatsa by BigB11(m): 11:50am On Aug 17, 2011
God is the only king of all kings. Ask him for forgiveness and continue to live your life and allow your haters to go kill themselves.
Still one of the finest, smartest and the most charismatic leader Nigeria has ever produced.

Happy birthday!

(1) (Reply)

Are There Houseboys And Housegirls At The Aso Rock Presidential Villa? / Governor Okorocha, Imo Speaker And The 10,000 Disengaged Workers / If You Can't Beat The Money-bags, Join Them!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.