Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia (4664 Views)

I Just Got To The Gambia / My Experience Living And Working In Gambia As A Dentist / Nigerian Living In Mexico. Ask Me Any Question About Life Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2022
Hello Guys,

I opened this thread for those that want to travel to The Gambia, do business (including import and export), or just travel for vacation/tour.

The Gambia is a small West African Country with roughly around 2million people in population. With virtually no natural resources, The country depends 'almost' on Tourists, Tasks, and Foreign intervention to survive.

Gambia enjoys almost 24 hours electricity in most of the towns, clean steady/healthy tap running water, with lots of Foreigners in the Country.

I happened to tour many sites in the country, they have beautiful hotels. Most of their hotels are beach hotels like... Kairaba Beach Hotel, Senegambia beach Hotel, Kalimba Beach hotel etc.

There are many Nigerians there, and Nigerians export items like bitter kola, alcohols, bitter drinks, food items, etc... On return, they import Fish from there. The Gambia has fish, and they're cheap there.

Many Nigerian students are there as well schooling and working.

Let me stop here. In case anyone want to go for vacation or want to learn something from The Gambia, drop your questions and I'll answer here. Please, all questions and answers will be here on this thread, not PM.

See this post on top Gambian Hotels >>> https://tariyaatravel.com/news/top-10-luxurious-and-affordable-hotels-in-the-gambia

2 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by doggedfighter(f): 12:26pm On Oct 17, 2022
You know anything about studying nursing in Gambia?

How affordable ?

Their admission process ?
Their currency exchange?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 1:15pm On Oct 17, 2022
doggedfighter:
You know anything about studying nursing in Gambia?

Yes

doggedfighter:
How affordable ?

Around 30,000 Dalasis per session which is like 320,000 naira currently. If you're serious about this, I have someone lecturing in their University, I can get the full details for you. I will reply on this thread for others to get the information too.

doggedfighter:
Their admission process ?

Very easy. Nothing like JAMB. You just need 5 credits in the 5 main science subjects - ENG, MAT, BIO, PHY, & CHE.

doggedfighter:
Their currency exchange?

1,000 Dalasis (Gambian Currency) will give you roughly 10,450 Naira currently; exchange fee included.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by doggedfighter(f): 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pallazzo:

Yes

Around 30,000 Dalasis per session which is like 32,000 naira currently. If you're serious about this, I have someone lecturing in their University, I can get the full details for you. I will reply on this thread for others to get the information too.

Very easy. Nothing like JAMB. You just need 5 credits in the 5 main science subjects - ENG, MAT, BIO, PHY, & CHE.

1,000 Dalasis (Gambian Currency) will give you roughly 10,450 Naira currently; exchange fee included.

I hope this helps.

Around 30,000 Dalasis per session which is like 32,000 naira currently. If you're serious about this, I have someone lecturing in their University, I can get the full details for you. I will reply on this thread for others to get the information too.

I am very interested in this. Please do help me get the full details.

How about traveling, their visa process, flight costs?

When is the next academic calendar. These are what I do like to know
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:22pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pallazzo:
Hello Guys,

I opened this thread for those that want to travel to The Gambia, do business (including import and export), or just travel for vacation/tour.

The Gambia is a small West African Country with roughly around 2million people in population. With virtually no natural resources, The country depends 'almost' on Tourists, Tasks, and Foreign intervention to survive.

Gambia enjoys almost 24 hours electricity in most of the towns, clean steady/healthy tap running water, with lots of Foreigners in the Country.

I happened to tour many sites in the country, they have beautiful hotels. Most of their hotels are beach hotels like... Kairaba Beach Hotel, Senegambia beach Hotel, Kalimba Beach hotel etc.

There are many Nigerians there, and Nigerians export items like bitter kola, alcohols, bitter drinks, food items, etc... On return, they import Fish from there. The Gambia has fish, and they're cheap there

Many Nigerian students are there as well schooling and working.

Let me stop here. In case anyone want to go for vacation or want to learn something from The Gambia, drop your questions and I'll answer here. Please, all questions and answers will be here on this thread, not PM.

See this post on top Gambian Hotels >>> https://tariyaatravel.com/news/top-10-luxurious-and-affordable-hotels-in-the-gambia

Do i need to get a visa to go there for tourism?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 1:27pm On Oct 17, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Do i need to get a visa to go there for tourism?

Not at all. The Gambia is an ECOWAS Country, you're good to go with just your Green Passport.

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 1:35pm On Oct 17, 2022
doggedfighter:

I am very interested in this. Please do help me get the full details.
I made a mistake, 30,000GMD is around 320k naira please.
doggedfighter:

No VISA needed to travel to The Gambia, your Passport is all you need. Last I checked, there was flight for #200k one way. I normally use Airpeace, my last flight with them was around #200k but I ran a search now and the price is #270k. (See attached). I searched Oct through Feb, and it's the same price.
doggedfighter:

When is the next academic calendar. These are what I do like to know
I will get this information and revert back to yo here on this thread latest tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Evidenx(m): 1:36pm On Oct 17, 2022
How about religion there? Are there Christian's and churches over there and are they many?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 2:29pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
How about religion there? Are there Christian's and churches over there and are they many?

95% very peaceful Muslim. The Gambia is one of the most peaceful countries. There are Churches, RCCG, Winners, Anglican, Catholic, Mountain of fire, etc...

And most of their banks are Nigerian Banks. Like GTB, Access, Eco, FBN, and Zenith.

2 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 2:35pm On Oct 17, 2022
doggedfighter:

I forgot to mention that you can also travel by road. From Lagos to Benin Republic, then enter bus from there to Gambia. Most will stop by Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, before entering The Gambia. If you're lucky, the journey will take 5 days, sometimes it takes up to 10 days. On average, 7 days.

I've not taken that route before but I have friends who travel this route up to 3 times in a year to and fro. It used to be around 70 to 100k naira, but should be up to 90 to 150k naira by now. If you have money, use flight.

3 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Evidenx(m): 3:50pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pallazzo:

95% very peaceful Muslim. The Gambia is one of the most peaceful countries. There are Churches, RCCG, Winners, Anglican, Catholic, Mountain of fire, etc...

And most of their banks are Nigerian Banks. Like GTB, Access, Eco, FBN, and Zenith.

Thanks for the info.
How about their people,are they friendly to Nigerians or hostile to us?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 4:19pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
Thanks for the info.
How about their people,are they friendly to Nigerians or hostile to us?

Generally, the people are friendly to everyone. Sometimes, depending how you relate with them, you may experience insults from them. But if you're someone that don't mingle and play recklessly with them, you're good.

There's a high population of Nigerians over there, Igbos, Yorubas, Edos, Deltans, etc.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Evidenx(m): 4:23pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pallazzo:

Generally, the people are friendly to everyone. Sometimes, depending how you relate with them, you may experience insults from them. But if you're someone that don't mingle and play recklessly with them, you're good.

There's a high population of Nigerians over there, Igbos, Yorubas, Edos, Deltans, etc.
once again thank you for the info.

Lastly how about accommodation over there?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by virginchaser(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2022
Return tickets alone takes 540k Nigeria Naira. It's well o.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 5:09pm On Oct 17, 2022
Evidenx:
once again thank you for the info.

Lastly how about accommodation over there?

Accommodation is somewhat like what you'll find in some Nigerian cities.

A bedroom and parlor can go for D1,000 to D1,700 which is like #1,500 to #18k per month depending on location. These days, finding an apartment is hard as people are trooping into the country. You can get a room for D600, but that'll be in a public compound.

Good 2 bedroom flat can go as high as D3.5k to D7k per month. That's like #37k to #75k (I'm just approximating the exchange). Normally, rents are paid monthly but some Landlords will request a year, 6 months, or 3 months initial payment.

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 5:10pm On Oct 17, 2022
virginchaser:
Return tickets alone takes 540k Nigeria Naira. It's well o.

Where did you see that?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by virginchaser(m): 5:11pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pallazzo:

Where did you see that?

2 way tickets.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Nwaotu10(m): 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2022
Is doing Masters's degree affordable in Gambia?
Secondly are there jobs for B.A\M.A holders there?

I will be migrating through study route if Tinubu wins this presidential election cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Evidenx(m): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2022
Pallazzo:

Accommodation is somewhat like what you'll find in some Nigerian cities.

A bedroom and parlor can go for D1,000 to D1,700 which is like #1,500 to #18k per month depending on location. These days, finding an apartment is hard as people are trooping into the country. You can get a room for D600, but that'll be in a public compound.

Good 2 bedroom flat can go as high as D3.5k to D7k per month. That's like #37k to #75k (I'm just approximating the exchange). Normally, rents are paid monthly but some Landlords will request a year, 6 months, or 3 months initial payment.
wow this is nice I see. God bless you for taking out time to reply me.

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by adubam(m): 9:38pm On Oct 17, 2022
I need Gambia passport with my real names in it.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by odinga1of: 12:19am On Oct 18, 2022
adubam:

Adubam and Cutieme are always on this table. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Watery brand awaiting sha
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Warmaterial(m): 1:06am On Oct 18, 2022
Op is the place developed? If yes, like which state in 9ja can you compare the development with...
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by nicerod(m): 7:17am On Oct 18, 2022
For those that needs form A Q or M

I can be of help to you

I can also help u with proof of funds
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Pallazzo: 10:02am On Oct 18, 2022
Nwaotu10:
Is doing Masters's degree affordable in Gambia?
Secondly are there jobs for B.A\M.A holders there?

I will be migrating through study route if Tinubu wins this presidential election cool

I guess you're joking grin grin

In real sense, the job available in The Gambia for most Nigerians is teaching. Others are into business.

adubam:

Impossible is nothing.

Warmaterial:
Op is the place developed? If yes, like which state in 9ja can you compare the development with...

Not really that developed like most Nigerian cities. But they have this Senegambia district, most people there are whites from America, UK, etc. The place looks nice a bit, and the rent there is a bit on the high side but you can be lucky. Most of their hotels are in this area too.

It's hard to compare the place with a particular city. Somehow you'll see it like some Northern towns with shabby houses (No insult intended). They're mostly Muslim, so there's this connection with the North. But the main town is bubbling with businesses and shops here and there. Somehow like what I witnessed in Ibadan some few years ago.

Don't expect 3 storey building and above like we have in the East, Lagos, etc... You can see them, but just a handful.

Gambia is really a Nice place for vacation. Instead of spending huge money in Dubai, you can get a great experience in The Gambia with much less amount.

I hope I tried, this one hard me grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by adubam(m): 11:03am On Oct 18, 2022
odinga1of:

Adubam and Cutieme are always on this table. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Watery brand awaiting sha

You again! Emekus don't Japka go Dubai
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by Ertugrul: 11:19am On Oct 18, 2022
Nice thread OP...
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by odinga1of: 12:21pm On Oct 18, 2022
adubam:

You again! Emekus don't Japka go Dubai

Yes na , Emekus updated it on the thread. How's life?
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by adubam(m): 1:26pm On Oct 18, 2022
odinga1of:

Yes na , Emekus updated it on the thread. How's life?

I dey ooo. The way Nigerians just de japa ehhn.
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by odinga1of: 1:50pm On Oct 18, 2022
adubam:

I dey ooo. The way Nigerians just de japa ehhn.

How far bro, we need to they communicate like me n Emekus they do o. Via WhatsApp make we Rob mind unto japa tins

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by adubam(m): 1:52pm On Oct 18, 2022
odinga1of:

How far bro, we need to they communicate like me n Emekus they do o. Via WhatsApp make we Rob mind unto japa tins
piwithgod@gmail.com
Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by odinga1of: 2:23pm On Oct 18, 2022
adubam:
piwithgod@gmail.com

08062580362 WhatsApp me

1 Like

Re: AMA: Ask Me Anything About The Gambia by sageb: 2:54pm On Oct 18, 2022
Pallazzo:

Yes

Around 30,000 Dalasis per session which is like 320,000 naira currently. If you're serious about this, I have someone lecturing in their University, I can get the full details for you. I will reply on this thread for others to get the information too.

I hope this helps.

Is the tuition fee for their public universities or their private universities?
How about opportunities, which sector is booming over there?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guaranteed Visa To Belize In 2 Days / Brandon Manitoba (Canada) / Republic Of Cyprus Island: The Sland Of Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.