Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies (5042 Views)

Budget: Heads May Roll In Govt Parastatals, Agencies / Buhari Dissolves Boards Of Federal Parastatals, Agencies / Jonathan Moves Property From Aso Rock, Plans Global Shuttle,to Write Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by edicolove: 5:52pm On Aug 19, 2011
Some of you mistake cynicism for intelligence. If you are intelligent, you applaud the good and abhor the bad. But if you are cynical, everything appears bad and nothing is ever good. Why? Because men look with their eyes and see with their minds. So the picture they see is the picture of their minds. To the pure, all things are pure but to the defiled, all things are evil.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^ Classical reason why Nigeria is not moving forward even as we spend BILLIONS EACH year claiming we want to.  grin grin  So, admitting BAD is BAD is wrong? We have to FORCEFULLY SQUEEZE good out of even that which is OBVIOUSLY BAD for us(not necessarily talking of this but generally all the bad decisions made by our government)?  grin grin
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by aletheia(m): 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^
And you are a classic example of just the kind of cynic he had in mind.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by edicolove: 9:04pm On Aug 19, 2011
@kobojunkie

No man is ever completely bad. Most armed robbers when caught have been found to be very nice and generous people in their communities. Dont be cynically closed minded!
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Aug 19, 2011
edicolove:

@kobojunkie

No man is ever completely bad. Most armed robbers when caught have been found to be very nice and generous people in their communities. Dont be cynically closed minded!

um . . . what has 'man' to do with any of what I posted? I suggest you go back, read what I typed up there, re-process the contained info(do it again, if you need to), and then please come back with a more rational response.

You are the one claiming those who see the bad are all CYNICS . . . . I am asking you if it is CYNICAL to admit that the OBVIOUSLY bad is BAD. . . . considering even REALITY in Nigeria(we are talking figures, data, results), for the past 12 or so years have MORE THAN PROVEN much of this to be the case?  undecided undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Back to this very issue, this is the same president who helped create the load of Niger Delta Ministry in 2008, and only recently created a Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment(another load).  Last year it was announced yet again that more than 3500 ghost workers were discovered in the system but apparently not much was done to get rid of them since it seemed the number of ghost workers has grown since then. Also, we recently fed our eyes to the list of special advisers up the wazoo the president selected from himself. 
So, forgive me for being skeptical that a man who has allowed all this to go one, in the past year, and more,(some only recently as in the past few weeks) means what he says when he announces he intends to cut bloat. How is that cynical when there is OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE (his actions by the way) that the man is probably faking us again?   grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by londoner: 9:23pm On Aug 19, 2011
If the parastatals are reduced, and former employees stay unemployed, it means they are not employable outside of the handout from government.

We need to stop the waste of money. You cant make up two posts which overlap just to keep people in employment.

Its like someone who drives his business into the ground by employing his nephew, niece, brother's wife's sister's cousin and his own children, just to pay them a salary.

Plenty of Nigerians do this to the detriment to viable business, and those they "employ" add no value whatsoever, just financial burden.

If these people have transferable skills then they will find jobs elsewhere or can be retrained in areas we actually NEED  their skills. Unless they are over a particular age of course.

In other countries, former civil servants can EASILY find employment elsewhere because they usually have to  merit their post. In fact they are often sought after. That is because they ADD VALUE.

It is time the "free lunch" in Nigerian government dies a natural death.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by asscend: 10:32pm On Aug 19, 2011
saxywale:

Jonah, dont forget to merge frsc with the Nigerian traffic police. They both have overlapping functions.
saxywale:

Jonah, dont forget to merge frsc with the Nigerian traffic police. They both have overlapping functions.

Seconded,

It will be nice if we begin to say which one needs to be merged and stop all the bashing,

Lets be creative here as bashing does not help the matter.

For once the President is using a recomendation lets see how far it goes, until then lets provide solutions and stop all these negative talk.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by edicolove: 11:46am On Aug 20, 2011
@kobojunkie

Most of your posts I have read in NL just show you out as an armchair critic with no clue about leadership and administrative experience. You think leadership is the same as typing on your keyboard and critisizing in NL? I laugh at your assertions. You just show that you are at best a customer service personnel or a field engineer with almost zero experience in leadership.

You think a president or governor just wakes up, sits in his office and say "hey, create a new ministry for me called so and so" and it is done. You must have a very myopic view of life. Policies, parastatals and so on are created based on reports, feedback and inputs from various arms of government with the constitution in mind. It is a very cumbersome process. An action from government in one department, affects several other departments. Just the same way an MD of a company will make his decisions. You dont just make brash decisions. Sometimes, the president might have a goal in mind and announce a new department or policy but after some feedbacks, he might have to drop the idea because in the final analysis, the end result will not be good.

A good example is the clause in the constitution that requires that ministers be appointed across the 36 states. That automatically means, you have to have ministries to accommodate them. As a president then, your hands are tied. On the political side, you will also be faced by those crying out that they are being marginalized.

I didnt say those who see the bad are cynics, my statement simply means you must see the bad and see the good and admit both when they occur. If you only see the bad, you are a cynic and if you dont check it, you might suffer from ulcers and maybe worse at some point in your life. The posts say, "Jonathan moves to reduce parastatals". That is a good thing to do and you should be able to say, "hey, that's good, please we need more" just the same way you will critisize if is was a bad thing. If you are incapable of admitting when someone you dont like, do something right, you have a problem. I call it the witchcraft spirit. It is one of the biggest problem in Naija and it is not good for your health.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by jmaine: 12:20pm On Aug 20, 2011
Nairalanders at their best . . .criticizing anything just for the sake of it . .  The FG signaled a desire to curtail the incessant duplication of roles by various agencies causing confusion and clashes as to who should be in charge of a situation, a process, regulatory purposes . . . and yet all what people on this thread could come up with is Jona is just talking . . .he talks too much . . . .he is slow . .he won't do it . . .and all useless jibes one can think about . . . i guess you all want to hear more of his failures than acknowledge a good move for once . . . . Agencies like the the Federal Ministry of Environment,NESREA ,NOSREA , DPR all fighting for relevance as regards regulatory functions need to streamlined . . . . a clear case was the open fight between NESREA and the NCC as to who has the sole right to regulate the siting of masts of the telecommunication companies . . .  You guyz seriously need to tone down your incessant blind cynicism to all FG policies. You seek for change openly while praying deep within you they fail so that you can derive some warped pleasures from it . . . Pathetic
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by edicolove: 12:29pm On Aug 20, 2011
^^^Right on point.

Actually, it is medically proven that the human body secretes a kind of substance that is pleasureable and addictive when someone is sad. It is similar to the kind of substance found in some drugs. The danger is that one can become addictaed to sadness and bad emotions because sadness is pleasurable. Thats why most of the biggest hits in music are very emotional tunes. The danger in this is that the same substance is also very dangerous to the body and leads to stuff like ulcers. Please try to keep a happy spirit and criticize positively for your long life and prosperity, wink
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by Kobojunkie: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2011
edicolove:

@kobojunkie

Most of your posts I have read in NL just show you out as an armchair critic with no clue about leadership and administrative experience. You think leadership is the same as typing on your keyboard and critisizing in NL? I laugh at your assertions. You just show that you are at best a customer service personnel or a field engineer with almost zero experience in leadership.

You think a president or governor just wakes up, sits in his office and say "hey, create a new ministry for me called so and so" and it is done. You must have a very myopic view of life. Policies, parastatals and so on are created based on reports, feedback and inputs from various arms of government with the constitution in mind. It is a very cumbersome process. An action from government in one department, affects several other departments. Just the same way an MD of a company will make his decisions. You dont just make brash decisions. Sometimes, the president might have a goal in mind and announce a new department or policy but after some feedbacks, he might have to drop the idea because in the final analysis, the end result will not be good.

A good example is the clause in the constitution that requires that ministers be appointed across the 36 states. That automatically means, you have to have ministries to accommodate them. As a president then, your hands are tied. On the political side, you will also be faced by those crying out that they are being marginalized.

I didnt say those who see the bad are cynics, my statement simply means you must see the bad and see the good and admit both when they occur. If you only see the bad, you are a cynic and if you dont check it, you might suffer from ulcers and maybe worse at some point in your life. The posts say, "Jonathan moves to reduce parastatals". That is a good thing to do and you should be able to say, "hey, that's good, please we need more" just the same way you will critisize if is was a bad thing. If you are incapable of admitting when someone you dont like, do something right, you have a problem. I call it the witchcraft spirit. It is one of the biggest problem in Naija and it is not good for your health.

WOW . . . . Yet another of the usual silly dance around the issues and no real dissection of the problem, or consideration of facts presented.

This is the second time I am going to request you go back, READ WITH YOUR MIND AND BRAIN PRESENT, what is posted, so you get an idea of what is being said. The silly  posting of lies and innuendos about my person, or any other, rather than focusing all that energy on the discussion, ain't gonna cut it.

You scored for yourself there a zero when it comes to knowing how I think, or my knowledge of politics or leadership. So it would behoove you to avoid discussing my person(since you don't have those mind reading abilities you think you do there), and FOCUS ON the discussion at hand and handling whatever point you have with more intelligence.

Now back to my response to you . . . .

Kobojunkie:

um . . . what has 'man' to do with any of what I posted? I suggest you go back, read what I typed up there, re-process the contained info(do it again, if you need to), and then please come back with a more rational response.

You are the one claiming those who see the bad are all CYNICS . . . . I am asking you if it is CYNICAL to admit that the OBVIOUSLY bad is BAD. . . . considering even REALITY in Nigeria(we are talking figures, data, results), for the past 12 or so years have MORE THAN PROVEN much of this to be the case?  undecided undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Back to this very issue, this is the same president who helped create the load of Niger Delta Ministry in 2008, and only recently created a Federal Ministry of Trade and Investment(another load).  Last year it was announced yet again that more than 3500 ghost workers were discovered in the system but apparently not much was done to get rid of them since it seemed the number of ghost workers has grown since then. Also, we recently fed our eyes to the list of special advisers up the wazoo the president selected from himself. 
So, forgive me for being skeptical that a man who has allowed all this to go one, in the past year, and more,(some only recently as in the past few weeks) means what he says when he announces he intends to cut bloat. How is that cynical when there is OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE (his actions by the way) that the man is probably faking us again?   grin grin grin grin

On a related note, from one arm-chair critic to another, I would suggest you learn how to debate your views without the unnecessary attacks on others for not sharing your views or seeing things your way . . . it does not do your points(whatever they may be),or your critical abilities much good.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by edicolove: 3:12pm On Aug 20, 2011
@kobojunkie

I am sorry I cannot help you. You are obviously true to your name. Only good un-tinted reading can help you.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Aug 20, 2011
edicolove:

@kobojunkie

I am sorry I cannot help you. You are obviously true to your name. Only good un-tinted reading can help you.

The sad of all this is/no one here even asked for your help!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

See, what I mean . . . . You don't read at all . . . . Rather You JUMP TO ATTACK that which you do not UNDERSTAND!!!

Learn to take your own advise there as it will help you understand what is being asked you, and maybe HELP YOU come up with better retorts on issues next time!  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by EkoIle1: 6:19pm On Aug 20, 2011
Coming from the same Odechukwu wey dey defend his bloated cabinet, crating new offices and assistants to duplicate what other ministries are doing? And didn't the same clowns just floated IT ministry to duplicate the Science and technology ministry?

How do you even take these senseless clowns seriously?
Re: Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies by COMPAQ(m): 12:36pm On Aug 21, 2011
I have always said that we have way, way too many agencies and parastatals. If they could all be listed, most well informed Nigerian's wouldn't even have heard of half of all the agencies and parastatals. Most of them add no value and just collect salaries. Just go to any federal secretariat building in your state capital and you'll see hundreds of people just milling around doing nothing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

N125m Donations: Lawyer Sues Sanusi, Agf / Kano State Donates 52 Trucks Of Relief Materials To Niger Republic. / Would You Vote Buhari Again? - Nairaland Decides.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.