Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,958 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? (61957 Views)

Is It Right For Pastors To Confirm The Right Marriage Partner For A Person? / Prophet Joshua Iginla Exposes Plans By Pastors To Frame Him Up For Murder / 75 Biblical Reasons Why You Should Not Drink Alcohol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by deflover(m): 8:05pm On Oct 23, 2022
It's shocking that everyone just read and believed the posted
No name of church
No pictures
Nothing
But it's a church and even Christians who should know better are bringing up scriptures
This is madness
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by tete7000(m): 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2022
NobleSeed:
op go and read about the Rechabites
Jeremiah 35:5-6

And have you read Luke 7:34? Jesus, referring to himself said the son of man came eating and drinking, they call him glutton and drunkard. Do they call someone who they don't see drinking alcohol drunkard? If the people who saw Jesus drinking called him drunkard, it means Jesus drank alcohol, and if Jesus drank alcohol, it means drinking cannot be sinful. Drunkeness and gluttony are the sins, and those are the sins Jesus wás accused of.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by mechanics(m): 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2022
Drinking alcohol either moderately or excessively is sin, those clerics are ignorant of the Word of God.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Lawag3: 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2022
MeaslesMumpsRub:
There is a church in Jamaica where they meditate with cannabis in the incense to communicate with the most high.
now that's wrong
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Nillion: 8:23pm On Oct 23, 2022
Blessedmercy8:
Proverbs 31:4-6 (KJV) It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy
hearts.

The bible also says, we should be drunk in the holy spirit not wine.

Is the Bible not referring to actual Princes and kings here?? I am only asking oo
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by fof1: 8:46pm On Oct 23, 2022
Handsome777:
I went to the headquarters of a popular church in Abuja for a Thanksgiving Service. After the church service, there was a reception where there was an assorted alcohol on the list.

To my surprise, some of the clerics were served alcoholic drinks and they gladly indulged.

I am a born-again Christian because of my staunch faith in Christ Jesus and I also drink alcohol moderately. I don't believe I am morally wrong.

You are a Confused Born Again...who is Still COVETOUSNESS and Meddling in Worldliness and Wantonness...having Large appetites...Persons with Greedy,Filthy Lucre aren't true Believers but Compromisers. Be warned. Abstinence andbSelf Discipline is better than Momentary Pleasure Pls
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 23, 2022
Nillion:

Is the Bible not referring to actual Princes and kings here?? I am only asking oo

The king's and princes here refer to christians.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by haslaw(m): 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2022
taylor88:

Oga face your front and leave them alone

Wahala wey dey this country no be wetin person fit face with clear eyes

Abeg Fvck dey hungry me I no wan shout

So it's OK for pastors to be left alone to do whatever they liked. Pastors fit rape small girls and we must leave them alone abi
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by God2man2again(m): 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2022
A little drop becomes an addiction. The devil will give you One thousand reasons including Paul admonition to Timothy to take little wine because of his illness and tempt you to drink alcohol but he will not be there when you are finally addicted to it and then you graduated to a womanizer, start beating your wife then you smoke, then you begin to carry women around.

The question is: which wine did Paul told Timothy to take? Can Alcoholic wine heal Timothy the Apostle?
We read Jesus turned water to wine. Was it alcoholic wine?
Wine?
Are all wines Alcoholic? No!
Are all wines non Alcoholic? Yes and No.

How do we know which wine to be taken or avoided?

Fruit wine or Alcoholic wine?

Strong drink was mentioned in the Bible.

Proverbs 31:6' Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more'

Isaiah 5:11" Wow unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!"

Now, let's check 1 Timothy 5:23" Drink no longer water, but use little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities"

Titus 1:7 " For a Bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not self-willed, not soon angry, not given to WINE, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;"

The answer to some of the questions, especially, how do we know which one to drink or avoid? is impossible to identify which wine the Bible is warning us to avoid but we know that STRONG drink must be avoided because a little of it will make you drunk.

Yayin is the Hebrew word for all wines, Fermented and unfermented.

Fermented wine makes you drunk while unfermented wine will never intoxicate.

What is Fermentation?

The chemical breakdown of a substance by bacteria, yeasts, or other microoorganisms, typically involving effervescence and the giving off of heat.
More broadly, fermentation is the foaming that occurs during the manufacture of wine and beer, a process at least 10,000 years old.
More, fermentation is a metabolic process in which an organism converts a carbohydrate, such as starch or a sugar, into an alcohol or an ACID.
For example, yeasts perform fermentation to obtain energy by converting sugar into alcohol.
Bacteria perform fermentation, converting carbohydrates into lactic ACID.

Alcohol is ETHYL, Ethanol. C2H50H.
It is an ACID.

What is unfermented wine?

Isaiah 65:8 " This saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it: so will I do my servants sakes, that I may not destroy them all"

Unfermented wine means the grapes were never exposed to yeast.
Simple, no yeast, no alcohol.
You have grape juice. It is called unfermented wine.

So, whether you believe it or not, if you drink fermented wine or yeasts fermented drink or intoxicating wine, you are drinking ACID. ETHYL, Ethanol, Alcohol. Though, WEAK ACID.

God is love. God can't turned wine to Acid.
Paul cannot advise Timothy to drink Acid for his infirmities. It can never be Alcoholic. It must be grape juice drink.

Alcohol can't heal the infirmities.

Google is your friend.

Let's see various wines as anotated by Dake reference Bible.

(1) TIROSH : newly made wines from grapes. Genesis 27:28
(2) ENAB: Grape drink. Hosea 3:1
(3) ASIS : Fresh grape drink. Isaiah 49:26
(4) SHEKAR: An intoxicant; alcoholic liquor; strong drink. It was made from barley, honey, and dates. Deuteronomy 14:26
(5) YEQEB:: Juice from the lowest wine vat into which wine the wine drains to purify it when first pressed in the press. Deuteronomy 16:13
(6) CHEMER: Wine of the grapes as fermenting; pure red wine. Isaiah 27:2
(7) CHAMAR: Red wine. Ezra 6:9
(cool GATH :Treading out Grapes. Winepress. Judges 6:11. Winefat isaiah 63:2
(9) SOBE: Wine; Mixed wine. Isaiah 1:22
(10)MIMSAK: Mixed wine with water or spices. Proverbs 23:30.

As stated before, the word WINE is used for both strong drink or fermented and wine or unfermented drink in the Bible.
It is impossible to know which of the wine the Bible is telling us to avoid.

Surely as it is written in 1 Corinthians 6:10' Nor thieves, not covetous, nor DRUNKARDS, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

No DRUNKARDS shall inherit the kingdom of God..

God bless you all. Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Melagros(m): 9:55pm On Oct 23, 2022
gazilion:
You drank! After drinking...you are surprised that the clerics also drank.
Don't mind the mumu op
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Streetpriest1: 10:11pm On Oct 23, 2022
But on a lowkey u for just collect your malt and get out of there. Nothing concern you ... smiley
Handsome777:
I went to the headquarters of a popular church in Abuja for a Thanksgiving Service. After the church service, there was a reception where there was an assorted alcohol on the list.

To my surprise, some of the clerics were served alcoholic drinks and they gladly indulged.

I am a born-again Christian because of my staunch faith in Christ Jesus and I also drink alcohol moderately. I don't believe I am morally wrong.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by laluski(m): 10:30pm On Oct 23, 2022
angelfallz:
Alcohol is not bad. It is pastors that demonise alcohol. Jesus himself drank alcohol.
Really please show me what part of the Bible..
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by richmanrichard: 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2022
gazilion:
You drank! After drinking...you are surprised that the clerics also drank.
grin sounds like what Mr IBU would normally do in naija movies
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by BluntCrazeMan: 11:25pm On Oct 23, 2022
Handsome777:

How many people got drunk after the event?

If there were none,, then you created a wrong thread for the wrong reason.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by faceland: 11:48pm On Oct 23, 2022
I hate alcohol.
It is not a sin but it is foolishness that could lead to sinful acts.
No holy man should be drinking (just the say, no holy man should be fat or materialistic).
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by greggng: 1:08am On Oct 24, 2022
taylor88:
Oga face your front and leave them alone

Wahala wey dey this country no be wetin person fit face with clear eyes

Abeg Fvck dey hungry me I no wan shout

Why not hire one olosho ..since you came back from.prison na only Bleep dey hungry u..
Hunger go soon join ur problem
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Bigchristo: 1:36am On Oct 24, 2022
Handsome777:

there wasn’t a place in the Bible where drinking was said to be a sin, some pastors won’t tell their congregations the truth instead they brand anybody drinking alcohol to be a sinner, I pity those who allow themselves to be brainwashed, Jehova witness memorial service for Christ the wine is usually alcoholics wine that’s to tell you drinking is not a sin the only time I consider it to be a sin is when the person get drunk be out of control, drink responsibly
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by lendahand(m): 2:52am On Oct 24, 2022
Barims:
All I know is GOD doesn't exist

Period!!!
He can make you live again, just believe.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by zinaunreal(m): 3:06am On Oct 24, 2022
Handsome777:

It's not wrong to drink. It's only wrong to drink excessively.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by SaLongs1(m): 5:03am On Oct 24, 2022
Handsome777:

How do Christians get born again....is being a Christian no longer valid....but I agree with you that it is not what goes in that defiles one but what comes out as Christ said.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Siscooh: 5:52am On Oct 24, 2022
Handsome777:

Handsome

So this is your council of churches you are asking questions from right?
N
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by midastouch: 8:08am On Oct 24, 2022
simplesearch:
No percentage of alcohol is acceptable to God or permissible in heaven, except if it is mistakenly taken. Many people will reach eternity before they discover alcohol to be one of the many things that can hinder one from seeing the all holy God on the last day. And this is simply because, whatever is capable of getting one intoxicated; wether taken in large or small quantity is injurious to the health. And from spiritual standpoint, alcohol is one of the constituent of the works of the flesh, as it appeals to the flesh and has nothing to do with the Spirit, and the bible clearly states that; nothing of the flesh will inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19 (KJV) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Galatians 5:21 (KJV) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 13:13 (KJV) Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT ALCOHOLIC CONSUMPTION?

Rev Fr Justin Chinaka Mbaeri

Many religious people believe that God has forbidden any use of alcoholic beverages — that any use of alcohol is wrong and sinful. They claim that the Bible supports this prohibition, just like you claim too. Wine/alcoholic drinks are frequently mentioned in the Bible. If something sinful or beneficial exists about these beverages, then the Bible will show it. What does the Bible really say about wine and alcohol?

WINE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

One of the first mentions of wine in Scripture is by Melchizedek, priest of the Most High God at Salem (Jerusalem) during the time of Abram, whose name was later changed to Abraham. Melchizedek “brought forth bread and wine” for Abram and his companions (Genesis 14:18).

Since the scriptures was born out of the Jewish context, it is better we consider the “sitz im leben” (life setting or cultural context) of the words of the scriptures in relation to the Jewish culture in order to aid better understanding. In this vein, language comes into play.

From the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), the Hebrew word for wine in Genesis 14:18 is “yayin”. This word is used over 130 times in the Hebrew Bible to mean “FERMENTED WINE”, not grape juice as you may think. This same beverage (yayin or alcoholic wine), when used excessively, causes drunkenness. Genesis 9:21 says that Noah drank too much yayin and became drunk. Lot also became drunk on this beverage (Genesis 19:30-36), and so did Nabal (1 Samuel 25:36).

Nevertheless, God told his people to enjoy yayin at the yearly festivals (Deuteronomy 14:26). In addition to using wine as a beverage, God also commanded the Levitical priests to include in the sacrifices a portion of wine (yayin) as a drink offering (Exodus 29:40). These scriptural passages make it clear that there can be a right and a wrong use of wine.

Naturally fermented wine is between 10 percent and 14 percent alcohol. Higher alcoholic wines are fortified wines. On special occasions, God even allowed use of what is translated as “strong drink.” This term comes from a different Hebrew word — “shekar” — which is used 22 times in the Old Testament, and refers to alcoholic drinks made from dates and other fruit.

The Bible says that God gave wine to make men glad (Psalm 104:15). Why have some people turned this blessing of God into a curse? The answer is that many people do not follow God’s instructions. A blessing of wine was prophesied as a heritage to the chosen people in Genesis 27:28: “May God give you heaven’s dew and earth’s richness — an abundance of grain and new wine (tirosh).”

The Hebrew word tirosh, meaning “new wine”. People sometimes conclude that this word means grape juice, or fresh-pressed juice of the vine. However, Hosea 4:11 states: “Old wine (yayin) and new wine (tirosh) take away their understanding.” Grape-juice do not possess this effect. Put differently, Tirosh is an intoxicating wine if used in excess.

Having journeyed through the Old Testament, let us take a look at the new Testament.

WINE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

While the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the New Testament on the other hand was entirely written in Greek. Hence, we shall focus our mind on the Greek language in which the New testament was written. John the Baptist did not drink wine (oinos in the Greek) or any other form of alcohol because it was prophesied that he wouldn’t (Luke 1:15).

However, Jesus Christ drank oinos (wine) (cf. Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34). Jesus did not preach against the use of wine; instead he drank like most other Jews of his day. He drank wine in moderation. In ancient times it was normally diluted with water for drinking, and was one of the principal beverages at that time — as it is today.

According to the Greek Bible, Jesus’ first miracle was to change water into wine (oinos) NOT grape juice. Some people who preach total abstinence claim that this miracle was to turn water into grape juice. LOL… This is because, they tend to interpret the Scriptures based on their “myopic understanding”. Can you imagine a Jewish wedding banquet where everyone drank only grape juice?! (which is very difficult to imagine). The ancients did not have refrigeration or any other method of preventing grape juice from fermenting.

On this occasion, Christ turned six jars of 20 or 30 gallons each into wine (oinos). This was no small miracle. This wine was of the finest quality — “You have saved the best wine till now” (John 2:10). At wedding feasts, the hosts normally started with the best wine, and they would bring out lesser-quality wines later.

Jesus gave a parable involving the fermenting process of oinos (alcoholic wine) in Matthew 9:17. At that time, instead of having metal or glass bottles to enclose wine, the skins of animals were used. The fermentation of the wine could burst an old skin, but it would not break a new stretchable skin.

Another proof that oinos is fermented wine is the fact that the apostle Paul said, “Do not get drunk on wine (oinos)” (Ephesians 5:18). Paul did not mean to avoid getting drunk on grape juice! Paul instructed Timothy, “Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine (oinos) because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses” (1 Timothy 5:23). He said to use only a little wine, not a whole lot. The purpose of this wine was Timothy’s frequent stomach ailments; small amounts of wine can help some stomach problems.

Some of the Corinthian Christians were getting drunk at the Lord’s Supper (1 Corinthians 11:21). They were using fermented wine, following the example that Christ had set for them. Paul did not tell them that they were using the wrong kind of wine. He simply told them to eat and drink at home, and to participate in the Lord’s Supper in a respectful way.

In Romans 14:21, Paul says that it is good not to drink wine or eat meat if it offends a weak brother. He is referring to fermented wine; grape juice wouldn’t offend anyone. The implication is that there’s nothing wrong with the wine in itself, except when it is abused. Therefore, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol.

Alcohol, consumed in moderation, is neither harmful nor addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of alcohol in moderation is a matter of CHRISTIAN FREEDOM.

If you’re weak, then do not consider drinking it. Drunkenness and addiction are sinful; and this is exactly what the Bible condemns.

Above all, I am not proposing that alcohol must be consumed by all; if you maintain that intake of alcohol is bad for you, ok! That is simply your opinion; as pointed out, It is a matter of “Christian Freedom”, hence, do not look with disdain on someone who consumes alcohol in moderation or consider him/her a sinner.

Besides, not only excessive intake of alcohol is a sin, the bible also condemns gluttony (such as excessive intake of food etc.) Hence, if you consume an excessive amount of soft drinks or other foods, it is also a sin!

So, my dear friends in Christ, do not be scandalized when a fellow Christian, consumes alcoholic drinks.

Shalom!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Mcslize: 8:55am On Oct 24, 2022
gazilion:
[color=#990000][size=12pt]You drank! After drinking...you were surprised that the clerics also drank.

No be JuJu be that?
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by Mccullum: 11:02am On Oct 24, 2022
Your conscience will hint you of your actions that rights or wrong,

Churches were just like a company that need people by all means, not all churches built on this,

whatever strategies that will attract more people to come is allowed,

just for them to be coming in order for church's purse to be enlarging,

God will surely select His genuine worshippers on the day of accountability.. angry
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by nzechu(m): 11:47am On Oct 24, 2022
Handsome777:

what's the name of the church
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by angelfallz(m): 1:25pm On Oct 24, 2022
The wedding feast at Cana in Galilee and During the last supper.
laluski:

Really please show me what part of the Bible..
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by kelspinall(m): 6:28pm On Oct 24, 2022
you are confusing yaself,a staunch believer in christ sipping achol and later jumped in to nl to know whether is morally wrong or right... people deyoo..
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by God2man2again(m): 12:01am On Oct 25, 2022
midastouch:

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT ALCOHOLIC CONSUMPTION?

Rev Fr Justin Chinaka Mbaeri

Many religious people believe that God has forbidden any use of alcoholic beverages — that any use of alcohol is wrong and sinful. They claim that the Bible supports this prohibition, just like you claim too. Wine/alcoholic drinks are frequently mentioned in the Bible. If something sinful or beneficial exists about these beverages, then the Bible will show it. What does the Bible really say about wine and alcohol?

WINE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

One of the first mentions of wine in Scripture is by Melchizedek, priest of the Most High God at Salem (Jerusalem) during the time of Abram, whose name was later changed to Abraham. Melchizedek “brought forth bread and wine” for Abram and his companions (Genesis 14:18).

Since the scriptures was born out of the Jewish context, it is better we consider the “sitz im leben” (life setting or cultural context) of the words of the scriptures in relation to the Jewish culture in order to aid better understanding. In this vein, language comes into play.

From the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), the Hebrew word for wine in Genesis 14:18 is “yayin”. This word is used over 130 times in the Hebrew Bible to mean “FERMENTED WINE”, not grape juice as you may think. This same beverage (yayin or alcoholic wine), when used excessively, causes drunkenness. Genesis 9:21 says that Noah drank too much yayin and became drunk. Lot also became drunk on this beverage (Genesis 19:30-36), and so did Nabal (1 Samuel 25:36).

Nevertheless, God told his people to enjoy yayin at the yearly festivals (Deuteronomy 14:26). In addition to using wine as a beverage, God also commanded the Levitical priests to include in the sacrifices a portion of wine (yayin) as a drink offering (Exodus 29:40). These scriptural passages make it clear that there can be a right and a wrong use of wine.

Naturally fermented wine is between 10 percent and 14 percent alcohol. Higher alcoholic wines are fortified wines. On special occasions, God even allowed use of what is translated as “strong drink.” This term comes from a different Hebrew word — “shekar” — which is used 22 times in the Old Testament, and refers to alcoholic drinks made from dates and other fruit.

The Bible says that God gave wine to make men glad (Psalm 104:15). Why have some people turned this blessing of God into a curse? The answer is that many people do not follow God’s instructions. A blessing of wine was prophesied as a heritage to the chosen people in Genesis 27:28: “May God give you heaven’s dew and earth’s richness — an abundance of grain and new wine (tirosh).”

The Hebrew word tirosh, meaning “new wine”. People sometimes conclude that this word means grape juice, or fresh-pressed juice of the vine. However, Hosea 4:11 states: “Old wine (yayin) and new wine (tirosh) take away their understanding.” Grape-juice do not possess this effect. Put differently, Tirosh is an intoxicating wine if used in excess.

Having journeyed through the Old Testament, let us take a look at the new Testament.

WINE IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

While the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the New Testament on the other hand was entirely written in Greek. Hence, we shall focus our mind on the Greek language in which the New testament was written. John the Baptist did not drink wine (oinos in the Greek) or any other form of alcohol because it was prophesied that he wouldn’t (Luke 1:15).

However, Jesus Christ drank oinos (wine) (cf. Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34). Jesus did not preach against the use of wine; instead he drank like most other Jews of his day. He drank wine in moderation. In ancient times it was normally diluted with water for drinking, and was one of the principal beverages at that time — as it is today.

According to the Greek Bible, Jesus’ first miracle was to change water into wine (oinos) NOT grape juice. Some people who preach total abstinence claim that this miracle was to turn water into grape juice. LOL… This is because, they tend to interpret the Scriptures based on their “myopic understanding”. Can you imagine a Jewish wedding banquet where everyone drank only grape juice?! (which is very difficult to imagine). The ancients did not have refrigeration or any other method of preventing grape juice from fermenting.

On this occasion, Christ turned six jars of 20 or 30 gallons each into wine (oinos). This was no small miracle. This wine was of the finest quality — “You have saved the best wine till now” (John 2:10). At wedding feasts, the hosts normally started with the best wine, and they would bring out lesser-quality wines later.

Jesus gave a parable involving the fermenting process of oinos (alcoholic wine) in Matthew 9:17. At that time, instead of having metal or glass bottles to enclose wine, the skins of animals were used. The fermentation of the wine could burst an old skin, but it would not break a new stretchable skin.

Another proof that oinos is fermented wine is the fact that the apostle Paul said, “Do not get drunk on wine (oinos)” (Ephesians 5:18). Paul did not mean to avoid getting drunk on grape juice! Paul instructed Timothy, “Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine (oinos) because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses” (1 Timothy 5:23). He said to use only a little wine, not a whole lot. The purpose of this wine was Timothy’s frequent stomach ailments; small amounts of wine can help some stomach problems.

Some of the Corinthian Christians were getting drunk at the Lord’s Supper (1 Corinthians 11:21). They were using fermented wine, following the example that Christ had set for them. Paul did not tell them that they were using the wrong kind of wine. He simply told them to eat and drink at home, and to participate in the Lord’s Supper in a respectful way.

In Romans 14:21, Paul says that it is good not to drink wine or eat meat if it offends a weak brother. He is referring to fermented wine; grape juice wouldn’t offend anyone. The implication is that there’s nothing wrong with the wine in itself, except when it is abused. Therefore, Scripture does not necessarily forbid a Christian from drinking beer, wine, or any other drink containing alcohol.

Alcohol, consumed in moderation, is neither harmful nor addictive. In fact, some doctors advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. Consumption of alcohol in moderation is a matter of CHRISTIAN FREEDOM.

If you’re weak, then do not consider drinking it. Drunkenness and addiction are sinful; and this is exactly what the Bible condemns.

Above all, I am not proposing that alcohol must be consumed by all; if you maintain that intake of alcohol is bad for you, ok! That is simply your opinion; as pointed out, It is a matter of “Christian Freedom”, hence, do not look with disdain on someone who consumes alcohol in moderation or consider him/her a sinner.

Besides, not only excessive intake of alcohol is a sin, the bible also condemns gluttony (such as excessive intake of food etc.) Hence, if you consume an excessive amount of soft drinks or other foods, it is also a sin!

So, my dear friends in Christ, do not be scandalized when a fellow Christian, consumes alcoholic drinks.

Shalom!

This post is encouraging drinking wine and yet discouraging too much wine. Kinda twisted.
Can you medically confirm that the intake of little Alcohol is good for health?
Google it, make your research and give us feedback about the good effect of Alcohol on the body.
Thank you.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by God2man2again(m): 4:58am On Oct 26, 2022
Nobody is willing to tell us the good effect of drinking Alcohol in the body.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by wirinet(m): 7:45am On Oct 26, 2022
God2man2again:
Nobody is willing to tell us the good effect of drinking Alcohol in the body.

Forget the good effects of drinking alcohol. As long as it gives people satisfaction and its not poisonous or detrimental to health (in moderate quantities), then its not anyone's business.

Not everything you drink or eat should be medicine or food. People drink coffee and tea for the caffeine, people take soft drinks for the sugar rush, others chew gum for the habit. All these things ate not necessarily beneficial to the body.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by God2man2again(m): 9:33am On Oct 27, 2022
Then there is a possibility that in
1 Timothy 5:23 that the little WINE recommended to Timothy by Paul the Apostle is not the Alcoholic WINE, there is a probability that the little WINE might be grape juice or Unfermented drink, that is, the drink that was not exposed to microoorganisms, Bacteria or yeasts.
Re: Is It Morally Wrong For Pastors To Drink Alcohol? by LilleG(m): 10:03pm On May 14, 2023
What are they preaching then?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Stop These Sexual Acts In 2024 / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? / Deeper Life Church Completes Headquarters After 15 Years (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.