Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,127 members, 7,849,513 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 11:07 PM

Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? (256 Views)

Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? / Why Did Jesus Have To Leave The Earth Before The Holy Spirit Would Come? / Why Did Jesus Have 12 Men As His Disciples,but No Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:11am On Nov 06, 2022
Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle?

When i asked people to name their favourite apostles in the following thread I posted last week, some said it was unchristian to have a favourite apostle and that Jesus never had one.

https://www.nairaland.com/7408241/which-favourite-apostle-bible

But could they be right?

I guess it's best to allow the Bible which they believe to be God's Word answer the question by Itself:

John 13:21-26 (KJV)

When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.
Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.
He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?
Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

John 19:25-27 (KJV)

Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

John 20:2 (KJV)

Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

John 21:5-7 (KJV)

Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

John 21:20-22 (KJV)

Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

So if we're to go by what the above scriptures in the Bible says, Jesus clearly had a favourite apostle, and that apostle's name was John. John 21:23-24.

God bless.
Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:12am On Nov 06, 2022
For Jesus whom Christians call their Master and Lord to have a favourite apostle, I don't think it could be unchristian for His followers to have theirs, except it is unchristian to follow His example.

It's important to note though that this wasn't about belonging to one apostle or the other, because everyone Christian ought to belong to Christ and Christ alone and none of His apostles, since there were many apostles (brethren) but just One Master as I've often stressed.

Therefore that post wasn't about that as some have misconceived, but about the apostle of Christ anyone who belongs to Christ likes the most.

Moreover I believe that for Christ to have had a favourite apostle, it ought to be a case study for His followers, because it suggests the guy must have had something extra in him that endeared Jesus to that extent.

So they could also learn how to become a Jesus' favourite.

God bless.
Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by Jones4190(m): 7:16am On Nov 06, 2022
yes
In the book of John, the beloved disciple emerges as a close, personal friend of the Lord. Along with Martha, Lazarus, and Mary, John is described explicitly in this Gospel as the one whom Jesus loved ( John 11:3, 5).

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by AntiChristian: 7:50am On Nov 06, 2022
Why do Christians like the abuse of the so-called God they worship?
Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by Jokerman(m): 7:53am On Nov 06, 2022
John the Beloved

Peter the Rock
Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by Blake755: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2022
Nah mary Madelyn grin cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:16am On Nov 06, 2022
Jones4190:
yes
In the book of John, the beloved disciple emerges as a close, personal friend of the Lord. Along with Martha, Lazarus, and Mary, John is described explicitly in this Gospel as the one whom Jesus loved ( John 11:3, 5).
True.
Re: Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:12am On Nov 13, 2022
Thank you Jesus

(1) (Reply)

S.H.A.P.E (5) / Transformation By The Holy Spirit / Universal Book: Yahweh's Weakness Amongst Other Immortals Like El(must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.