Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,014 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? (3165 Views)

Getting A Job As A Self-taught Software Engineer / Developer Without A Degree / Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! / Developers Without Any Degree...any Hope??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 11:20am On Nov 06, 2022
I'm a university drop-out and a lot of job listings I've been seen have BSC in computer science or related field as a requirement. Is there hope for me in the job market since I'll be competing with those with degrees?

What should I do to increase my chances of being employed?

What would you advise that I do given its too late for me to go back to school?

What useful certifications can I get to add to my resume?

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 11:21am On Nov 06, 2022
Please I need to hear the truth. Don't sugarcoat anything.

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Ireportlive: 11:27am On Nov 06, 2022
If you are good at programming, I suggest you look beyond Nigeria

Search on Jobs Indeed UK for developer jobs with UK tier 2 sponsored Visa,

Search Canadian job banks with sponsored Visa for programmers

Search for programmer remote jobs in UK, US, Canada

Alternatively you can start freelancing... Go on craigslist US with a VPN and you will see many remote jobs for programmers

Unfortunately Nigeria thinks to highly of certificate and not the skills

6 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by appishani1(m): 11:28am On Nov 06, 2022
Many people have this employment mentally.
Bro if truly sure you are an expert developer.
Most you work for someone?
Why can't you just start a project.
Just look for a team and start something.

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:30am On Nov 06, 2022
Reactjs doesn't have a degree.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:33am On Nov 06, 2022
appishani1:
Many people have this employment mentally.
Bro if truly sure you are an expert developer.
Most you work for someone?
Why can't you just start a project.
Just look for a team and start something.

You need to be very good to start something and that being good comes from a track record of experience. Most of the successful tech entrepreneurs in Nigeria worked in the sector they founded startups in for years. The founders of paystack worked in banks for over 10 years. The present CEO of flutter waves has been working in various banks and was the team lead at access bank. He has been working as a developer in Fintech since 2002 when I was still in nursery school. The newer startups like chowdeck and co founders all worked in well renowned startups like paystack before launching out.

You have to build capacity in the beginning also the network for raising funds. You can't just start something after you struggled to find 100k to buy laptop and Sapa dey and your skills are still rubbish.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:38am On Nov 06, 2022
At op you can read this https://techcabal.com/2022/10/14/digital-nomads-from-nigeria-to-germany-with-a-e30000-pay-cut. This person had no degree and was earning 42 million yearly in Nigeria. Took a paycut to move to Germany. This is the portfolio of a mentor of mine https://olaolu.dev/. He has no degree and was sponsored to work in shopify canada from Nigeria. Before the sponsorship, he was already a very wealthy man in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by appishani1(m): 11:42am On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You need to be very good to start something and that being good comes from a track record of experience. Most of the successful tech entrepreneurs in Nigeria worked in the sector they founded startups in for years. The founders of paystack worked in banks for over 10 years. The present CEO of flutter waves has been working in various banks and was the team lead at access bank. He has been working as a developer in Fintech since 2002 when I was still in nursery school. The newer startups like chowdeck and co founders all worked in well renowned startups like paystack before launching out.

You have to build capacity in the beginning also the network for raising funds. You can't just start something after you struggled to find 100k to buy laptop and Sapa dey and your skills are still rubbish.

And that young man is the reason you are stuck in one place. Continue feeding yourself with this kind of negativity.
When I said projects I didn't mean world class or global projects,
I mean simple projects with just HTML CSS and JavaScript.
I live in Abuja, and there are thousands of organizations that need just a website.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:44am On Nov 06, 2022
appishani1:

And that young man is the reason you are stuck in one place. Continue feeding yourself with this kind of negativity.
When I said projects I didn't mean world class or global projects,
I mean simple projects with just HTML CSS and JavaScript.
I live in Abuja, and there are thousands of organizations that need just a website.

That's a different thing. That's freelancing and it has been suggested a lot of times here on this forum over and over again. You can do that local or international using platforms like Upwork or fiverr. Almost everyone here started with that but you are talking about starting something that's a different thing from freelancing.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by specialofficer: 11:45am On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

That's a different thing. That's freelancing and it has been suggested a lot of times here on this forum over and over again. You can do that local or international using platforms like Upwork or fiverr. Almost everyone here started with that but you are talking about starting something that's a different thing from freelancing.
Age with abundant grace my boss, I'm still learning from your past posts boss

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by ichidodo: 11:47am On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

We all started from rubbish even the best of coders or startups, so no need denigrating humble beginnings.. @ devdev, I think the best thing for you right now is to build up your capacity and knowledge base, forget about money or employment..At this point, allow coding to be a hobby as you navigate through its endless possibilities for your niche. You can start with having an idea that programming can resolve or having a programmatic idea that could resolve issues of local businesses around you.. You necessarily don't need a degree to start an idea...Seek the idea first and all things will be added unto you. .

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by appishani1(m): 11:52am On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Okay if you say so
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by SavageBoy: 12:31pm On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
At op you can read this https://techcabal.com/2022/10/14/digital-nomads-from-nigeria-to-germany-with-a-e30000-pay-cut. This person had no degree and was earning 42 million yearly in Nigeria. Took a paycut to move to Germany. This is the portfolio of a mentor of mine https://olaolu.dev/. He has no degree and was sponsored to work in shopify canada from Nigeria. Before the sponsorship, he was already a very wealthy man in Nigeria.

Wow! Just checked out his portfolio and I'm surprised he specializes in just front end web development. Why then do people still think web development is a saturated field with little opportunities?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by LikeAking: 2:48pm On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:
I'm a university drop-out and a lot of job listings I've been seen have BSC in computer science or related field as a requirement. Is there hope for me in the job market since I'll be competing with those with degrees?

No hope..

Just disembark on ur journey..

Sorry!
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2022
LikeAking:

No hope..

Sorry!

Are you being serious?
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Avast(m): 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2022
LikeAking:

No hope..

Sorry!

Lol, you are bad.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 5:47pm On Nov 06, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
Reactjs doesn't have a degree.

Are you referring to the Nairalander?
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by qtguru(m): 5:59pm On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:

I studied Business Admin but read a lot of Comp Sci books e.g Computer Architecture, Maths for Programmers and Robert Sedgwick, I for recommend books to you.

BUT YOU HATE BOOKS LOL cheesy

The irony of life

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 6:00pm On Nov 06, 2022
qtguru:

I studied Business Admin but read a lot of Comp Sci books e.g Computer Architecture, Maths for Programmers and Robert Sedgwick, I for recommend books to you.

BUT YOU HATE BOOKS LOL cheesy

The irony of life

Please recommend books. Apparently that notion was an error in judgement on my part.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by qtguru(m): 6:02pm On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:

Please recommend books. Apparently that notion was an error in judgement on my part.

I like what you said just now, that mindset will take you places, let me post some resources here.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2022
qtguru:

I like what you said just now, that mindset will take you places, let me post some resources here.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by qtguru(m): 6:20pm On Nov 06, 2022
Devdevdev:

Thanks.

I sent PM, I would have shared here but Anti-spambot will block me
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Avast(m): 8:45pm On Nov 06, 2022
qtguru:

I sent PM, I would have shared here but Anti-spambot will block me
Boss, I be dey wait now
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Sheriman(m): 7:06am On Nov 07, 2022
Just have a degree not necessarily to be computer science. It will give you an edge over those who do not have. 80% of programmers are not a product of computer related courses but they are really good at their craft.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by fnep2smooth(m): 8:04am On Nov 07, 2022
All my working experience I have never submitted my school credentials, even my current job.

It depends on the company policy, and most times they will just need your personal information, and grantors information, NIN etc

But you have to be good in what you do, and master a particular language so that you can stand out

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 8:26am On Nov 07, 2022
fnep2smooth:
All my working experience I have never submitted my school credentials, even my current job.

It depends on the company policy, and most times they will just need your personal information, and grantors information, NIN etc

But you have to be good in what you do, and master a particular language so that you can stand out

Do you work in Lagos?
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by fnep2smooth(m): 9:57am On Nov 07, 2022
Devdevdev:

Do you work in Lagos?
nope... remotely
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by CodingSoft: 3:42pm On Nov 07, 2022
Updated

These are the things you need to know below that will help you get a job without a degree as they are some of the stuff you'll learn in a CS degree for the web application development:

1. Software Development Methodologies - Learn them on YouTube: Agile is now the most commonly used
2. Software Requirement Gathering - Learn this on YouTube
3. Create User stories from the Requirements Gathered
4. Software Analysis and Design based on the above 'User stories' learn on YouTube
5. Coding from the Design above or straight from the 'User stories' - Front-End - Learn these on YouTube HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery - Then learn a JavaScript Framework like react or any other of your choice.
Server-Side - Learn and master one server-side language like PHP or C# ASP.Net Core or any other of your choice for the web
Back-End - Learn and master SQL and JOINS for MySQL or MSSQL
6. Learn the different types of loops on YouTube and when to use them.
7. Learn OOP on YouTube
8. Learn Unit testing on YouTube
9. Learn Source Control on YouTube - GIT and GitHub or Azure DevOps for C# ASP.Net Core
10. Learn how to host the server-side you have chosen on YouTube
11. Advance: Learn docker, CI/CD on YouTube
12. Advance: Learn kubernetes on YouTube
13. Advance: Learn Android and iOS mobile development on YouTube
14. Develop a web application say a shopping cart and put the link on your CV as you portfolio, this will help you to find a job
You only need a book today for uni assignments and projects as they want you to quote from a book.

I think these are all you need if there are anything missing I will update the list

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Devdevdev(f): 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2022
CodingSoft:
These are the things you need to know below that will help you get a job without a degree as they are some of the stuff you'll learn in a CS degree:

1. Software Development Methodologies - Learn them on YouTube: Agile is now the most commonly used
2. Software Requirement Gathering - Learn this on YouTube
3. Analysis and Design of the above 'Requirements Gathered' learn on YouTube
4. Coding - Front-End - Learn these on YouTube HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery - Then learn a JavaScript Framework like react or any other of your choice.
Server-Side - Learn and master one server-side language like PHP or C# ASP.Net or any other of your choice for the web
Back-End - Learn and master SQL and JOINS for MySQL or MSSQL
5. Learn the different types of loops on YouTube and when to use them.
6. Learn OOP on YouTube
7. Learn Unit testing on YouTube
8. Learn Source Control on YouTube - GIT and GitHub
9. Learn how to host the server-side you have chosen on YouTube
10. Advance: Learn CI/CD on YouTube
11. Develop a web application say a forum or shopping cart and put the link on your CV as you portfolio, this will help you to find a job

You only need a book today for uni assignments and projects as they want you to quote from a book.

I think these are all you need if there are anything missing I will update the list

Thanks a lot for this.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by CodingSoft: 3:59pm On Nov 07, 2022
Devdevdev:

Thanks a lot for this.

No problem. All the best in your web development journey
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 07, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I keep thinking if there is still a sensible move in taking a paycut to move abroad, your career will be great but you will be broke! It worries me.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:17pm On Nov 07, 2022
truthsayer009:

I keep thinking if there is still a sensible move in taking a paycut to move abroad, your career will be great but you will be broke! It worries me.

Job security and a better future for children. Nigeria can happen to anyone at anytime and no help from anybody when it happens.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Software Competition (nisscom) / Where Can I Download A Functioning Notepad++ For Mobile Version From? / Flexbean: Netbeans Free Alternative To Flexbuilder In 10 Easy Steps!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.