Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,431 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

What Happens When We Die? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Happens When We Die? (6209 Views)

When We Die! / In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? / Where Do We Go When We Die? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happens When We Die? by angelak(f): 11:36am On Jul 06, 2005
Its time to be solemn. Death , an end we are all sure to meet yet we all avoid the topic.What really happens when one dies? is it really true that people are dead to everything when they die ? or is it true that are souls wonder still we truly find rest?

So many people come up with near death experiences like ie. seeing angels singing, walking through dark tunnels, seeing a very beautiful environment, Seeing people burning in hell , some say they find them selves on a hill etc. They is never really an end to these stories .However, most say that the the environment they find themselves in is so beautiful and peaceful and they didint want to come back!!

I hope life after death will be a heaven for all. We can all ensure this by Doing good on this earth we find ourselves in. What do you believe happens when one dies!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Greatpeter(m): 11:43am On Jul 06, 2005
When one dies, the spirit left, the soul goes back to the owner i.e God.

The body is burried and decomposed, but your deeds on earth determines whether you belong to heaven or hell. After death the judgement.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Lillu(f): 5:12pm On Jul 06, 2005
It is obvious, however, that our bodies weren't designed to last forever. Some will live more and some less, but that's about what most of us can expect.

Life is short, too brief to waste time on things that, in the end, are not all important. We shouldn't be surprised when death knocks at the door. It's simply the way we were made. Our physical bodies will age and wear out. God did not design them to be permanent.

However, that is not to say that this is the end. Though death is sad, by no means is the end of hope. God promises a resurrection to immortality for His faithful servants to reign with Jesus Christ and help Him administer God's Kingdom (1 Corinthians 15:50-54; Revelation 20:4-6; 5:10).
Re: What Happens When We Die? by legs(f): 7:20am On Jul 07, 2005
We face judgement.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 07, 2005
honestly i don't know. i'm a catholic but somehow i'm loosing my religion. don't attend church much these days. but despite what happens when we die we should all strive to live good lives. lives that when we're gone people will remember us as having been a good person who impacted on their life positively.

the fact is that minus the religious stories we hear (whether u believe it or not is a question of faith) NO BODY has ever come back from death. so the beliefs that hold today bout life atfer death are just beliefs that have been able to sustain itself for centuries. they are all claims. no verification yet.

final word. live a positive life and forget about death. cos when u die at least peeps will remember u fondly
Re: What Happens When We Die? by hopy2005(f): 5:10pm On Jul 08, 2005
what happens when one die's the spirit will go away and empty body will be left, just as we are made out of the dust and the same dust we are all returning.

For, inasmuch as death is inevitable, no body knows the next moment what will happen, it is now left for us to be prepared always, co's u can't run away from death, and come to think of that, when one dies, judgement is awaiting, On that day everybody will stand before God to give an count on how he/ she lived her life here on earth.
Remember that life is like a market where one buy and go.

think of eternity,
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Chxta(m): 12:48pm On Jul 10, 2005
When we die? We cease to exist!
Re: What Happens When We Die? by pkrix(m): 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2005
People believe things that cannot be proved more than those that can be proved. That, I have observed recently.

What happens after death is unproven.

Making the belief more difficult is what the Catholics come up with the stories of 'Purgatory', and the Jehova witness says 'no heaven, no hell.'

And some other talk about heaven and hell as if they've been there before.

But for me I believe in heaven cos blessed is he that believeth even though he hasn't seen a proof.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Chxta(m): 2:02pm On Jul 10, 2005
pkrix:

People believe things that cannot be proved more than those that can be proved. That, I have observed recently.

What happens after death is unproven.

Making the belief more difficult is what the Catholics come up with the stories of 'Purgatory', and the Jehova witness says 'no heaven, no hell.'

And some other talk about heaven and hell as if they've been there before.

But for me I believe in heaven because blessed is he that believeth even though he hasn't seen a proof.
Yeah right... rolleyes

1 Like

Re: What Happens When We Die? by olaide07(f): 11:17am On Jul 20, 2005
It depends on your belief.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by sage(m): 5:10pm On Jul 20, 2005
@pkrix i agree with ur first part but y not check out ur facts b/4 levelling allegations on peoples beliefs and religions that u dont know much about except public stereotypes
Re: What Happens When We Die? by pkrix(m): 9:11pm On Jul 20, 2005
@ Sage

About The JW and Catholics. I know what I am talking 'bout.

That what they say:

JW: No heaven?!

Catholic: Purgatory?!
Re: What Happens When We Die? by icingbaby(f): 3:23am On Nov 03, 2005
go to heaven and see GOD, join the angles
Re: What Happens When We Die? by elphem(m): 8:13am On Nov 03, 2005
My papa say something in my native language "sile kan ni won ra Esin L'orun Malu ni eni e ko si eni to de wa so fun wa" meaning Horses are sold for 1 kobo  up there and Cows are the extra no body has come back to give the account. DEATH IS MYSTERY.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by salako: 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2005
perhaps you should be more concerned with what happens when we are alive. Life is far more interesting that death and i bet you don't know all there is to know about life yet. so once you know everything there is to know about life, then you can explore death but until then... leave it out. cheesy
Re: What Happens When We Die? by r00t: 6:43pm On Feb 28, 2006
What happens when you die? Its a secret that everyone will know, but no one can tell.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by IBBFan(m): 3:21am On Mar 03, 2006
dead people don't bring info back 2 us on earth 2 tell us how dey'r chillin n wat's poppin on d uda syd. that's not fair o! see how people jus dey here dey confuse them-sef because 1 person dey panic as per life after death.

my dear, live your lyf in d ryt way n manner. when your day cums n u fall, accept whatever cums your way.

SIMPLICADO!!!!!
Re: What Happens When We Die? by r00t: 3:29am On Mar 03, 2006
i say this with the deepest respect for your religion, race, and creed:

Your an idiot and an embarrassment. Please don't stutter when you type.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by nightrider: 3:13pm On Mar 03, 2006
Doing good deeds doesn't get you to heaven,
accepting the death and ressurection of Jesus does.

The thief on the cross wasn't good, but at the last moment he accepted Jesus and he is in Heaven.
I think heaven is full of liars, thieves, 419, muderers, incestous people, cheats, satanic worshippers, ex atheists
masturbators, sexual deviant people, haters, racists, whoremongers and all the rest

But the difference between these people and the ones in hell
is that they asked for forgiveness from Jesus and accepted his atoning work"the shedding of his blood on the cross.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. And he also says though your sins be as crimson i'll make them as white as snow.

Thats why God killed his son.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by ghost42042: 5:39pm On Mar 14, 2006
i dont think there is an afterlife. and having said that i must answer the question of what death is like. well what did u feel like before u were born? u didnt feel anything. u didnt exist. in both of these situations (death and pre birth) u dont have a consience. except for death your body once had a conscience and pre birth u didnt have a body so therefore u didnt have a conscience. so next time u think of what u feel like after u die think of what u felt like before u were born.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Rhodalyn(f): 7:47pm On Mar 14, 2006
we rot
Re: What Happens When We Die? by KAG: 7:59pm On Mar 14, 2006
What Happens When We Die?

The end, that's all she wrote. Nothing. What I'd like to believe on the other hand, is some kind of a paradise with music, books, and some of my other favorite things, but I don't want it to be eternal. Another good one, would be to have a viking warrior afterlife, that would be fun, or perhaps to awake periodically to see and explore the world,
Re: What Happens When We Die? by allonym: 11:39pm On Mar 22, 2006
well, typically there is a burial held for you. if you are an organ donor, then the organs will be harvested from your body. If you died in a suspicious manner, you may undergo an autopsy.

Depending on your wishes, your body would be cremated, rather than buried. Also, your ashes may be kept in some sort of jar by your family, unless you legally (ie in your will) ordered that they be scattered someplace.

oh, and some people may or may not cry.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by IBBFan(m): 10:39am On Mar 23, 2006
@allonym

she was referring to the soul, not the body.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by allonym: 6:12am On Mar 24, 2006
what soul? since when do people have souls? When is a soul even mentioned in the bible?
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Rhodalyn(f): 8:38pm On Apr 06, 2006

go n read ya bible well n carefully makin sure U understand wht it's sayin
Re: What Happens When We Die? by Iknowwhoim(m): 8:56am On Apr 10, 2006
The Background
To know what happens to someone who dies, it is important first of all to know the make up of man.
Man is essentially a spirit, he has a soul and lives in a body. Many people erroneously do not know that they are not the body that is seen and can be touched.

God, created man in His image and likeness. . When He said let us make man in our image, after our likeness, he merely formed a casing that would limit the spirit of man on earth so he can function here on earth. After making the body, it was lifeless until God breathed into the body, then it became a living soul.

Spirits cannot function on earth. The only way they can function is to in-dwell a body. Job 10:11
Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinews. The me in that portion is the spiritual man; it is the real man, the body is the casing.

Again in the story of Lazarus and the rich man, the bible lets us know that there is a continued existence of the spirit of man beyond the experience of death. There you would see that the rich man though dead, where ever he was, he could see Abraham and Lazarus, he could hear Abraham talk, he could talk to Father Abraham, he could remember his life on earth.

Difference btn Spirit & Soul
There is a distinction between the spirit and the soul. Heb 4:12 The word of God is quick and powerful , sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the dividing assunder of soul and spirit,

The soul on man is the seat of his emotions, intellect, reasoning and decision making. The soul of man can be likened to the CPU of a computer. Take the CPU of a computer away, and what do you have? You have a nice looking box that can not be fed with input and cannot give any output.

Take the brain of man away and you have a vegetable. But at death, the soul and the spirit are an integral whole. That was why the rich man could remember his life on earth.

What happens when one dies

The bible is clear on that. For a Christian, like Paul the Apostle said, for me to live is Christ and to dies is gain. He also said - Php 1:23
For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
It is obvious that before Christ comes, those that choose to die will be with Christ.

I believe that I am addressing a christian forum. The converse is true for those that are not without Christ.

Is Death inevitable?

Someone wrote in this forum that death is inevitable. I disagree.
1Co 15:51
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
2Ti 1:10 - Show Context
But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
1 Thess4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort F11 one another with these words.

Death and life are one of the many choices of life that we make based on what you have believed.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by allonym: 7:31am On May 20, 2006
Iknowwhoim:

Is Death inevitable?

Someone wrote in this forum that death is inevitable. I disagree.
1Co 15:51
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
2Ti 1:10 - Show Context
But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
1 Thess4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort F11 one another with these words.

Death and life are one of the many choices of life that we make based on what you have believed.

Seeing as you back up lots of your other arguments with the bible, I find it strange you went astray on this one.

According to the bible, we will all die to this world and be reborn in heaven. A physical death on this world is what is meant by the words die and death. They are not metaphysical constructs. So, even according to the bible, we will all die.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by mlksbaby(f): 3:02pm On May 20, 2006
allonym:

According to the bible, we will all die to this world and be reborn in heaven. A physical death on this world is what is meant by the words die and death. They are not metaphysical constructs.

Reborn in heaven? I don't think that's what the Bible actually says. The rebirth takes place here on earth as a prerequisite to heaven (see John 3:3 & 5). Perhaps, I didn't get you; then maybe you'll help clarify what you meant.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by retro(f): 3:47pm On May 21, 2006
I wouldn't know. I'm not dead yet. Nobody who is ALIVE knows, everyone assumes.
Re: What Happens When We Die? by DaHitler(m): 3:52pm On May 21, 2006
I would assume that when you die you move on to the next phase of the cycle. Either reincarnation (if death is the end of the cycle) or to something else, eventually leading back to rebirth. Because everything in life works in cycles. The moons revolve around the planets, the planets revolve around the stars, and the stars probly revolve around something that we don't know of yet. So, its only rational to believe that the only thing that last forever are cycles. Hence, when we die we have either completed the cycle (start over again) or we move on to the next phase of the cycle.

Either way, I don't really care. Ill find out when I die! cheesy
Re: What Happens When We Die? by milikiya(m): 11:38pm On Jun 24, 2006
whoever posted this question is scaring the pants off me right now . though ill consider myself more of a moralist but for the first time in my life im really scared.why on earth are we on planet earth if we're gonna die and rot away somewhere, so scary.can someone pls tell me what our purpose is here on earth?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christian, What Kind Of Fisherman Are You? / Ireland Delivered A Hard Slap To The Catholic Church Today / The Biblical Mary Is Not A Roman Catholic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.