Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

When We Die! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When We Die! (10745 Views)

Where Do We Go When We Die? / We Come Back as Lesser Animals When We Die - Satire / What Happens When We Die? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

When We Die! by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:46am On Sep 04, 2014
I am sure no one reading this post lived in King Jaja of Opobo's era,nor did anyone of us reading this hear a live speech from Lord Lugard. The truth of the matter is we have no memory of our consciousness when these events happened.

So is this what will happen when we die? We fade into oblivion? Into nothingness? Like we were never here.

It is easy to deal with idea of not existing during the world war,or holocaust or any event before our date of birth,but how does one deal with the idea of fading away?

Is it remotely possible that our consciousness might survive our earthly bodies when we die? Is a belief in an afterlife just a mere fantasy?

Cc mranony1 thebigurban2 obi1kenobi striktlymi manmustwac Martian muskeeto

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When We Die! by benodic: 8:29am On Sep 04, 2014
the mystery of death lies in proper understanding of what happens when the physical body is asleep and the person is dreaming.
in dreams you still retain your consciousness. sleep is afterall a temporal death and death is a permanent sleep.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When We Die! by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:41am On Sep 04, 2014
But prior to your date of birth,did you experience dreams? Or any form of consciousness?

2 Likes

Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 04, 2014
An atheist wants to live forever. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: When We Die! by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:30am On Sep 04, 2014
Apatheist: An atheist wants to live forever. cheesy
I'm just pondering. I examine my worldview once in awhile.

'A life not examined is not worth living '. I've gotten who has that quote
Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:
I'm just pondering. I examine my worldview once in awhile.

'A life not examined is not worth living '. I've gotten who has that quote
So do we all.
Your answer is in your question:
So is this what will happen when we die? We fade into oblivion? Into nothingness? Like we were never here.
That's pretty much what happens.
The same way it was before you were born, that's how it'll be when you die.

You can leave your mark in the world, like the people who you mentioned did-- Jaja of Opobo and Lugard.
Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2014
At what point does consciousness begin? Is it at the point of conception? The point when we start becoming aware of our environment? Or does it predate our physical existence?
Re: When We Die! by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
striktlymi: At what point does consciousness begin? Is it at the point of conception? The point when we start becoming aware of our environment? Or does it predate our physical existence?

I think when we start becoming aware of our environment
Re: When We Die! by RayMcBlue(m): 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2014
The afterlife is a fairy tale invented by human imagination. And each person's fairy tale is different.

We imagine that we have "souls," fabricate the concept of "eternal life" and then fantasize a place called "heaven," complete with streets of gold, calorie-free foods, frolicking virgins and whatever else we can come up with. Christians imagine it so vividly and repeat the fantasy so often that they actually believe it to be reality.

How bizarre can the fantasies get? Fly to Cairo and take a look at the Great Pyramid . There is the pyramid itself - still one of the largest man-made objects on earth. In addition there is the whole mummification process, the disassembled boats, the sacred artwork and so on. All of this was designed to help the pharaoh reach the afterlife.

We look at it now and we all know, with absolute certainty, that it was a complete and total waste of time. The Egyptian notion of the afterlife was a fantasy. The Christian notion of the afterlife is a fantasy in exactly the same way. Heaven is completely imaginary, just like hell... and just like God. Don't get it twisted.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: When We Die! by mazaje(m): 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
RayMcBlue: The afterlife is a fairy tale invented by human imagination. And each person's fairy tale is different.

We imagine that we have "souls," fabricate the concept of "eternal life" and then fantasize a place called "heaven," complete with streets of gold, calorie-free foods, frolicking virgins and whatever else we can come up with. Christians imagine it so vividly and repeat the fantasy so often that they actually believe it to be reality.

How bizarre can the fantasies get? Fly to Cairo and take a look at the Great Pyramid . There is the pyramid itself - still one of the largest man-made objects on earth. In addition there is the whole mummification process, the disassembled boats, the sacred artwork and so on. All of
this was designed to help the pharaoh reach the afterlife.

We look at it now and we all know, with absolute certainty, that it was a complete and total waste of time. The Egyptian notion of the afterlife was a fantasy. The Christian notion of the afterlife is a fantasy in exactly the same way. Heaven is completely imaginary, just like hell... and just like God. Don't get it twisted.

There is more truth in this post than the ones written in the bible and the Koran combined. . .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I think when we start becoming aware of our environment

I think you are right but one can argue that individual consciousness began before we were born but because of the limited nature of our current existence, we have forgotten what that state of consciousness was like.

Though, I wouldn't go that far personally but I believe there is an element of truth in that line of thought. It is widely accepted that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Consciousness is a form of energy; which implies that consciousness as we know it today was not exactly created, strictly speaking.

Consciousness could only have been derived from the Ultimate Energy source, though in another form other than our experience of it today. To deny an existence beyond our 'physicality' would be to act against that fundamental 'principle' of science. Consciousness does not just seize to exist when we die. It only transforms. What happens after the transformation is subject to debate.

2 Likes

Re: When We Die! by RayMcBlue(m): 8:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
striktlymi:
I think you are right but one can argue that individual consciousness began before we were born but because of the limited nature of our current existence, we have forgotten what that state of consciousness was like.
Though, I wouldn't go that far personally but I believe there is an element of truth in that line of thought. It is widely accepted that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Consciousness is a form of energy; which implies that consciousness as we know it today was not exactly created, strictly speaking.
Consciousness could only have been derived from the Ultimate Energy source, though in another form other than our experience of it today. To deny an existence beyond our 'physicality' would be to act against that fundamental 'principle' of science. Consciousness does not just seize to exist when we die. It only transforms. What happens after the transformation is subject to debate.

The "miracle of life" is no miracle -- it is a big chemical reaction. When those reactions stop, the cell is dead.

The human body is nothing but a set of chemical reactions. The chemical reactions powering a human life are no different from the reactions powering the life of a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. When a human being dies, the chemical reactions stop. Finis.

There is no "energy" or "soul" mixed in with the chemicals, just like there is no soul in a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. Why would there be an afterlife for the chemicals that make up a human body?

The whole notion of your energy transforming when you die is completely imaginary. The concept of a "soul" has been invented by religion because many people have trouble facing their own mortality. It makes people feel better, but the concept is a complete fabrication. Don't mix science with delusions, please, both have absolutely nothing in common.

7 Likes

Re: When We Die! by alexleo(m): 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2014
Apatheist:
So do we all.
Your answer is in your question:

That's pretty much what happens.
The same way it was before you were born, that's how it'll be when you die.

You can leave your mark in the world, like the people who you mentioned did-- Jaja of Opobo and Lugard.

On the bold i ask- have you died before to be so sure?
Re: When We Die! by alexleo(m): 9:07pm On Sep 04, 2014
RayMcBlue:

The "miracle of life" is no miracle -- it is a big chemical reaction. When those reactions stop, the cell is dead.

The human body is nothing but a set of chemical reactions. The chemical reactions powering a human life are no different from the reactions powering the life of a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. When a human being dies, the chemical reactions stop. Finis.

There is no "energy" or "soul" mixed in with the chemicals, just like there is no soul in a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. Why would there be an afterlife for the chemicals that make up a human body?

The whole notion of your energy transforming when you die is completely imaginary. The concept of a "soul" has been invented by religion because many people have trouble facing their own mortality. It makes people feel better, but the concept is a complete fabrication. Don't mix science with delusions, please, both have absolutely nothing in common.

And this is also your own invention because you havent died before to be so sure of what you are saying. NO PROOF(as you people will always say). Before the discovery of planets, people then never knew such things existed.

1 Like

Re: When We Die! by RayMcBlue(m): 9:30pm On Sep 04, 2014
alexleo:

And this is also your own invention because you havent died before to be so sure of what you are saying. NO PROOF(as you people will always say). Before the discovery of planets, people then never knew such things existed.

The beauty of science is that it never assumes. It doesn't invent notions out of thing air. It examines, calculates, separates and then proposes. It's borne of "cold hard logic."

2 Likes

Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
Why are humans so profoundly distressed by death? Why do we dream of living forever? Why must we have a purpose in life? Why do people make deathbed confessions?
When you can find the answers to these questions, you'd know if afterlife is a fantasy or reality!

2 Likes

Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 4:46am On Sep 05, 2014
alexleo:

On the bold i ask- have you died before to be so sure?
Science, man.

In intelligent animals, human and non-human alike, consciousness as we know it begins to appear at neonatal stages, and is lost and recovered sporadically in the course of their lifespan—during deep sleep, syncope and sometimes coma, because of a lack of communication between cerebral neurons . Consciousness depends on the integration and functioning of several interconnected networks in the brain, two that are most important are the cerebral cortex—the gray matter that covers the outer layer of the brain, and the other is a structure located in the brainstem , called the reticular activating system (RAS) which keeps the cortex "activated" and aroused by encouraging increased brain activity which is needed in order for the brain to process information in such a way that can give rise to awareness.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_after_death

In the process of clinical death, the heart stops working and pumping blood to the brain, thereby cutting the brain's
essential supply of oxygen and of other less urgent nutrients. In dogs, measurable brain activity ends within 20 to 40 seconds. And during brain death, all brain function halts permanently. As characteristic of all biological cells, brain cells die once deprived of oxygenated blood, destroying the brain. According to the current mainstream neuroscientific view, the mind fails to survive brain death and ceases to exist.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_correlates_of_consciousness
Premise 1: The brain causes consciousness
Premise 2: In the event of death the brain "dies" (stops working)
Corollary: In the event of death consciousness ceases.

2 Likes

Re: When We Die! by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:48am On Sep 05, 2014
enigmaotr: Why are humans so profoundly distressed by death? Why do we dream of living forever? Why must we have a purpose in life? Why do people make deathbed confessions?
When you can find the answers to these questions, you'd know if afterlife is a fantasy or reality!

I seek purpose in life because I am a sentient being
Re: When We Die! by Weah96: 5:15am On Sep 05, 2014
benodic:
the mystery of death lies in proper understanding of what happens when the physical body is asleep and the person is dreaming.
in dreams you still retain your consciousness. sleep is afterall a temporal death and death is a permanent sleep.

Excellent.
Re: When We Die! by Weah96: 5:28am On Sep 05, 2014
RayMcBlue:

The beauty of science is that it never assumes. It doesn't invent notions out of thing air. It examines, calculates, separates and then proposes. It's borne of "cold hard logic."

I agree, but in reality, true science faces obstruction from political forces and the lure of financial interests.

There's no reason why I should put more than a gallon of gas in my car every week. Something is preventing the manufacture of 500mpg vehicles.
Re: When We Die! by MrAnony1(m): 5:41am On Sep 05, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I am sure no one reading this post lived in King Jaja of Opobo's era,nor did anyone of us reading this hear a live speech from Lord Lugard. The truth of the matter is we have no memory of our consciousness when these events happened.

It is easy to deal with idea of not existing during the world war,or holocaust or any event before our date of birth,but how does one deal with the idea of fading away?

Is it remotely possible that our consciousness might survijavascript:void(0);ve our earthly bodies when we die? Is a belief in an afterlife just a mere fantasy?

Cc mranony1 thebigurban2 obi1kenobi striktlymi manmustwac Martian muskeeto
You seem to lean towards the belief that it is more likely the case that there is no such thing as an afterlife because you are not conscious of any events that happened before you were born (let's refer to this as a "pre-life" ).

1. I hope you do realize that it doesn't follow that if you don't have a pre-life, you won't have an afterlife. (If you don't realize this, please take some time to explain to me why you think it follows).

2. Now that said, your question leaves us with two possibilities:

a. An afterlife exists
b. An afterlife does not exist.

3. I will argue that:

a) If an afterlife does not exist then man really has no actual moral obligations i.e It is not reasonable to act morally

b) If an afterlife exists and it's outcome depends on the way the present life is lived, then there are actual moral obligations and hence it is reasonable to act morally.

4). Expanding upon the above....

a. If there is no afterlife, then there are no consequences for the sort of life you choose to live i.e. whether you spend your life taking pleasure in smashing the skulls of innocent babies or whether you spend your life taking pleasure in caring for the helpless little ones, in the end you will just die and rot forget everything and eventually be forgotten. There is no way we can objectively say that one pleasure is better than the other. Therefore there is no reason why one needs to act morally.

b. If on the other hand, there is an afterlife and our present life determines it's outcome, then there is an objective way in which we ought to live this present life and hence there is a reason to act morally.

5). Now I must point out that the above does not prove that there is or isn't an afterlife however it shows that the absence of an afterlife is not consistent with the presence of moral values. So if you believe that there are moral duties that we ought to adhere to, then an afterlife would be consistent with such a belief.

If on the other hand you don't believe in an afterlife, then I struggle to see how you can make a case for why we ought to live morally especially if we can derive pleasure from doing evil deeds. (If you think the two are rationally compatible then you may need to explain to me how so)

3 Likes

Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 05, 2014
@MrAnony1:
a) If an afterlife does not exist then man really has no actual moral obligations i.e It is not reasonable to act morally
So your morality is born out of fear-- and greed?
So you are good only because you fear punishment after death?
Your morality is just eye service.
I hope you never become atheist.

a. If there is no afterlife, then there are no consequences for the sort of life you choose to live i.e. whether you spend your life taking pleasure in smashing the skulls of innocent babies or whether you spend your life taking pleasure in caring for the helpless little ones, in the end you will just die and rot forget everything and eventually be forgotten. There is no way we can objectively say that one pleasure is better than the other. Therefore there is no reason why one needs to act morally.
Face palm.

If on the other hand you don't believe in an afterlife, then I struggle to see how you can make a case for why we ought to live morally especially if we can derive pleasure from doing evil deeds. (If you think the two are rationally compatible then you may need to explain to me how so)
Here you go:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rationalism
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-moral/
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/practical-reason/
https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/23849-rationality-and-moral-theory-how-intimacy-generates-reasons/
http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/morality.html
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1908675179?pc_redir=1408583053&robot_redir=1
http://objectivism101.com/Lectures/Lecture31.shtml
www.holisticeducator.com/rationalethics.htm

1 Like

Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 05, 2014
RayMcBlue:

If you don't know that everything (even the rock you step on) is one form of energy or the other, in its strict sense, then there is no need having a debate with you.
Re: When We Die! by RayMcBlue(m): 6:30am On Sep 05, 2014
Weah96:

I agree, but in reality, true science faces obstruction from political forces and the lure of financial interests.

There's no reason why I should put more than a gallon of gas in my car every week. Something is preventing the manufacture of 500mpg vehicles.

You forgot "Religion", the age-long enemy of progress/science.
Re: When We Die! by MrAnony1(m): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2014
Apatheist: @MrAnony1:

So your morality is born out of fear-- and greed?
So you are good only because you fear punishment after death?
Your morality is just eye service.
No that is not what I said and you still haven't suggested any meaningful reason why we ought to live morally.

I hope you never become atheist.
Lolololol, yeah I hope so too.

Here you go:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rationalism
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-moral/
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/practical-reason/
https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/23849-rationality-and-moral-theory-how-intimacy-generates-reasons/
http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/morality.html
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1908675179?pc_redir=1408583053&robot_redir=1
http://objectivism101.com/Lectures/Lecture31.shtml
www.holisticeducator.com/rationalethics.htm
I am not impressed by link bombing. Feel free to make an argument in your own words when you are ready so we know that you know what you are talking about.
Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 05, 2014
^^^You want Apatheist to express his own thoughts? shocked

You would have better luck asking him to stay under water for 1 hour without surfacing.

I do hope I am wrong about that dude.
Re: When We Die! by RayMcBlue(m): 7:07am On Sep 05, 2014
striktlymi:

If you don't know that everything (even the rock you step on) is one form of energy or the other, in its strict sense, then there is no need having a debate with you.

I agree that energy is a constant, and undergo all sorts of transformations, but imbibing it in your delusions of afterlife is a no-no. "Consciousness" is not a form of energy. It's a byproduct of the human psyche as a result of chemical reactions. Don't complicate the issue.
Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 7:30am On Sep 05, 2014
striktlymi: ^^^You want Apatheist to express his own thoughts? shocked

You would have better luck asking him to stay under water for 1 hour without surfacing.

I do hope I am wrong about that dude.
Re: When We Die! by alexleo(m): 9:19am On Sep 05, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Has science ended discoveries? No. You still cant be so sure because science keeps discovering and rediscovering. What if later in life they make a new discovery that will cancel the one you are holding on to now? What if you are dead by then and you cant do anything about it than to face the discovery? What if what you ll face then will be so horrible and could ve been averted if you had given a deeper thought to this issue now?
Re: When We Die! by alexleo(m): 9:22am On Sep 05, 2014
Apatheist:
Science, man.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness_after_death

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_correlates_of_consciousness
Premise 1: The brain causes consciousness
Premise 2: In the event of death the brain "dies" (stops working)
Corollary: In the event of death consciousness ceases.

And i still ask, has science ended discoveries? No. So you still cant be sure.
Re: When We Die! by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 05, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I seek purpose in life because I am a sentient being
Animals are also sentient beings.
Why is it that only humans seek to have a purpose in life?
Re: When We Die! by benELOHIM7(m): 9:47am On Sep 05, 2014
this is how i understand what striktlymi is saying: life is like an engine running on a certain quantity of fuel. when the fuel finishes what happens? the engine goes off but the fuel is transformed into something else which still exists. the soul is the fuel while the engine is our mortal self
RayMcBlue:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Has Been Your Unique Experience With Long Fasting? / Why You Must Be Baptised In The Name Of Jesus / Advice For Paying Tithe Needed Urgently!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.