Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,064 members, 7,818,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette (854 Views)

Throwback Photos Of IVD And His Late Wife Bimbo When They Were Young Lovers / Man Tattoos His Late Mother's Face In His Hand (Photos) / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 11:33am On Nov 11, 2022
A lady who lives in my friend's compound, lost her husband and his people showed up from the village two days later to collect everything from her. As they began to harass her to bring the documents for the house, the car keys and cheque books, a neighbour overheard them.

He went and called three other men who were around in the compound and briefed them on what was happening. These men dressed up; one of them, a policeman who was off duty, put o his uniform. Together, they went to her door and knocked.

One of her brothers-in-law opened the door and told them to go away, that they were having a family meeting.

The three men ignored him and barged into the house. They said they were from the bank, that the late man owed millions in debt and they were there to pack his things. The wife was shocked. The man's people were shocked. Their spokesman said, "Officer, sirs, let us hold a small meeting outside. We'll be back." They went outside to have a family tete-a-tete. While they were outside, this woman's neighbours told her their plan and assured her that they wouldn't let anything bad happen to her.

Ten minutes later, her brothers-in-law, husband's uncle and cousin had still not returned. One of the men went to check on them.

Do you know these men had left? They fled and left their brother's widow alone to face alleged bankers her late husband was supposedly owing.

They hurried off to tell the whole community that everything the man had been displaying was on loan; that he was poor and owned nothing. This worked in the woman's favour, because they didn't ask her to bring a dime for the funeral.
After the man was buried, one of the neighbours who had showed up to protect her against her thieving in-laws, helped her collect her husband's benefits and sell the house.

After the sale, she quietly relocated to Canada with her children. Her in-laws nearly choked to death. I chuckle every time I remember how they showed up again, to ascertain if the house had really been sold by the "bank" and that their brother didn't own it.

A fellow on this app once said, "Our tradition dictates that a man inherit his late brother's property. It is my right. His wife is not part of his family. The moment he dies, their contract is done." Interesting, this tradition that demands that you inherit your brother's property, and not his debts. It doesn't tell you to care for your brother's orphans and widow. It gives you the right to only take and not give.

Such a hollow tradition. Sounds like a tradition of thieves.

Addendum:
I was under the assumption that tweeps know you can own apartments in storied buildings in major cities in Nigeria. I referred to the gated enclave in which the building stands, as a compound. Pardon me for using house and apartment interchangeably

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 11, 2022
As you rightly said, a tradition of thieves consisting of lazy, greedy, daft, evil, illiterate men.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 11:50am On Nov 11, 2022
I dey tell you
Jovialjune1:
As you rightly said, a tradition of thieves consisting of lazy, greedy, daft, evil, illiterate men.
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Anijay1212(m): 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2022
Babaric custom
angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by bukatyne(f): 4:33pm On Nov 11, 2022
Is there really a 'custom' that supports this nonsense or do in-laws just bully wives they think can't fight them?
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Helpout12345: 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2022
What's the title of the movie please if it has been released?

1 Like

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by GboyegaD(m): 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2022
If this is true, the tradition should encourage them not to marry or at best, marry their siblings. I do not think it is tradition, I feel it is just the greed of some family members.

1 Like

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by DadaHammed: 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2022
That's not tradition but greed.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 10:11am On Nov 14, 2022
angry
Helpout12345:
What's the title of the movie please if it has been released?
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by culf: 1:41am On Nov 15, 2022
when you hear some stories, you appreciate your family.
I remember my uncle rejected his late brother's car not to talk of fighting for it. They wont even consider the children and the widow. The painful thing is this thing happen in almost all part of the country.

1 Like

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 10:07am On Nov 16, 2022
cry
culf:
when you hear some stories, you appreciate your family.
I remember my uncle rejected his late brother's car not to talk of fighting for it. They wont even consider the children and the widow. The painful thing is this thing happen in almost all part of the country.
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by culf: 2:58pm On Nov 16, 2022
Rubyjade:
cry

Aunty why you dey look me, watin happen? no dey look me ooooo, I dey quick vex.
You think its lie, they eventually sold the car, he said he can't, they were actually very close and the children were very young and being taken care of his eldest brother

1 Like

Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 10:42am On Nov 17, 2022
shocked
culf:

Aunty why you dey look me, watin happen? no dey look me ooooo, I dey quick vex.
You think its lie, they eventually sold the car, he said he can't, they were actually very close and the children were very young and being taken care of his eldest brother
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by culf: 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2022
Rubyjade:
shocked

what's surprising you, biko close the mouth before flies will enter... How is you?
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 7:53am On Nov 18, 2022
I am cool and you?
culf:

what's surprising you, biko close the mouth before flies will enter...
How is you?
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by culf: 3:45pm On Nov 18, 2022
Rubyjade:
I am cool and you?
Good. Thank you.
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 18, 2022
Rubyjade:
A lady who lives in my friend's compound, lost her husband and his people showed up from the village two days later to collect everything from her. As they began to harass her to bring the documents for the house, the car keys and cheque books, a neighbour overheard them.

He went and called three other men who were around in the compound and briefed them on what was happening. These men dressed up; one of them, a policeman who was off duty, put o his uniform. Together, they went to her door and knocked.

One of her brothers-in-law opened the door and told them to go away, that they were having a family meeting.

The three men ignored him and barged into the house. They said they were from the bank, that the late man owed millions in debt and they were there to pack his things. The wife was shocked. The man's people were shocked. Their spokesman said, "Officer, sirs, let us hold a small meeting outside. We'll be back." They went outside to have a family tete-a-tete. While they were outside, this woman's neighbours told her their plan and assured her that they wouldn't let anything bad happen to her.

Ten minutes later, her brothers-in-law, husband's uncle and cousin had still not returned. One of the men went to check on them.

Do you know these men had left? They fled and left their brother's widow alone to face alleged bankers her late husband was supposedly owing.

They hurried off to tell the whole community that everything the man had been displaying was on loan; that he was poor and owned nothing. This worked in the woman's favour, because they didn't ask her to bring a dime for the funeral.
After the man was buried, one of the neighbours who had showed up to protect her against her thieving in-laws, helped her collect her husband's benefits and sell the house.

After the sale, she quietly relocated to Canada with her children. Her in-laws nearly choked to death. I chuckle every time I remember how they showed up again, to ascertain if the house had really been sold by the "bank" and that their brother didn't own it.

A fellow on this app once said, "Our tradition dictates that a man inherit his late brother's property. It is my right. His wife is not part of his family. The moment he dies, their contract is done." Interesting, this tradition that demands that you inherit your brother's property, and not his debts. It doesn't tell you to care for your brother's orphans and widow. It gives you the right to only take and not give.

Such a hollow tradition. Sounds like a tradition of thieves.

Addendum:
I was under the assumption that tweeps know you can own apartments in storied buildings in major cities in Nigeria. I referred to the gated enclave in which the building stands, as a compound. Pardon me for using house and apartment interchangeably

Is this a story? She lives in your friend's compound but was told to bring house documents

Anyway, good neighbors
Re: Our Tradition Dictates That A Man Inherit His Late Brother'se K E T I @eketiette by Rubyjade: 3:59pm On Nov 18, 2022
Ddworld:

Is this a story? She lives in your friend's compound but was told to bring house documents

Anyway, good neighbors

(1) (Reply)

Hallelujah Challenge And The Hypocrisy Of The Average Nigerian. / Thanks / What’s Bothering You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.