Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience (21961 Views)

Buying My First Car / How Can I Drive Rats Away From My Car? Please Help / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by abrahambest(m): 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2022
Hello all,

Thanks for clicking the link to this post.
I intend to buy my first car by January 2023. I am a big fan of Toyota and have an eye for the SE Trim, 2007-2011 camry.
I am budgeting between 3m-4m to get a clean tokunbo and would like to hear similar experiences from people who have been in this shoe before. I am married with just a kid. All ideas are welcome and again thanks for viewing this thread.

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by lordm(m): 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2022
Avoid V6. Avoid Diesel cars, go for cars you can easily get spare parts. Because a car is cheap does not make it a good car for you. Lastly, go with a trusted mechanic or you will cry blood

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Snitch24(m): 8:24pm On Nov 12, 2022
lordm:
Avoid V6. Avoid Diesel cars, go for cars you can easily get spare parts. Because a car is cheap does not make it a good car for you. Lastly, go with a trusted mechanic or you will cry blood
About the V6
Pls can you explain better

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by abrahambest(m): 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2022
lordm:
Thanks alot for your input. Just have a few concerns on the V6 you mentioned. Can you please let me know why because based on what I've read, v6 engines perform better and are smoother though may consume more fuel.

7 Likes

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Timagex(m): 12:42am On Nov 13, 2022
I have not owned a car, but, I have driven the SE, Le and xle trims.

The Le is like the basic trim. The SE is the sports tuned trim. The suspension is more firm and the ride is a bit harsh on rough roads.

My question to you is, do you like the SE because of the sporty looks or because of sports performance?

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by abrahambest(m): 5:46am On Nov 13, 2022
Timagex:
I have not owned a car, but, I have driven the SE, Le and xle trims.

The Le is like the basic trim. The SE is the sports tuned trim. The suspension is more firm and the ride is a bit harsh on rough roads.

My question to you is, do you like the SE because of the sporty looks or because of sports performance?
Thanks for your input. I like the SE Trim because of its sporty looks n performance as well. Any recommendations??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by bluedefender: 9:05am On Nov 13, 2022
The car you want is a pretty good ride and suitable for Nigeria and it’s roads

Being a Toyota you are covered because of its durability.

You just have to make sure you get a clean tokumbo, well inspected by a trusted japanese automobile engineer(not those that will follow you to the car dealer and collect money at your back from the dealer and recommend a bad unit for you)

I know lots of ppl will tell you to avoid the v6 and go for the i4 because of fuel.

Please, whatever you do, don’t listen to them.

The v6 is your best bet.

It’s much more durable and doesn’t come with the oil burning issues the i4 engines come it.

Again, it rides alot better (although if you are concerned about how your car rides, Toyota shouldn’t be your option)

But with the v6, you get a little taste of a good riding vehicle.

Plus, the fuel consumption isn’t that bad on the v6.

It’s just like using because of fuel consumption you go and buy an I pass my neighbor generator instead of a bigger sumec spg 3800 generator that will serve you better.

With the i4, there are lots of problems you will be facing down the line and the first will be the oil burning problem which you will definitely face if you end up with an unrecalled unit of the 2007-2009 Toyota camry.

It’s not that the i4 engine is not good. It’s Toyota engine and it’s reliable.

But once the oil burn starts happening, lots of things in your car starts getting messsy.

84 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by abrahambest(m): 9:19am On Nov 13, 2022
bluedefender:
The car you want is a pretty good ride and suitable for Nigeria and it’s roads

Being a Toyota you are covered because of its durability.

You just have to make sure you get a clean tokumbo, well inspected by a trusted japanese automobile engineer(not those that will follow you to the car dealer and collect money at your back from the dealer and recommend a bad unit for you)

I know lots of ppl will tell you to avoid the v6 and go for the i4 because of fuel.

Please, whatever you do, don’t listen to them.

The v6 is your best bet.

It’s much more durable and doesn’t come with the oil burning issues the i4 engines come it.

Again, it rides alot better (although if you are concerned about how your car rides, Toyota shouldn’t be your option)

But with the v6, you get a little taste of a good riding vehicle.

Plus, the fuel consumption isn’t that bad on the v6.

It’s just like using because of fuel consumption you go and buy an I pass my neighbor generator instead of a bigger sumec spg 3800 generator that will serve you better.

With the i4, there are lots of problems you will be facing down the line and the first will be the oil burning problem which you will definitely face if you end up with an unrecalled unit of the 2007-2009 Toyota camry.

It’s not that the i4 engine is not good. It’s Toyota engine and it’s reliable.

But once the oil burn starts happening, lots of things in your car starts getting messsy.
Thank you. I appreciate this insight

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by nurey(m): 9:20am On Nov 13, 2022
abrahambest:
Hello all,

I intend to buy my first car by January 2023. I am a big fan of Toyota and have an eye for the SE Trim, 2007-2011 camry.
I am budgeting between 3m-4m to get a clean tokunbo and would like to hear similar experiences from people who have been in this shoe before. I am married with just a kid. All ideas are welcome and again thanks for viewing this thread.

lalasticlala, Seun please help this thread get the deserved audience

2007 camry was plagued with transmission wahala

2007 to 2009 had 2.4L i4 which had oil burning issues which most people are adviced to avoid just to play it safe.

2010 and 2011 had 2.5L i4 which is very good and solid no issues.

2007 to 2011 3.5L V6 is good but people would say avoid V6 because it uses more fuel than 4cylinder for same distance moved. The V6 is solid but don't let it overheat because its aluminum engine.

For the trim CE is the most basic and comes with manual transmission which is very rare to come by.

LE is luxury edition, has basic and luxury accessories for your use

SE is sports as in body and suspension doesn't mean it would be faster than LE cause they have same engine and transmission

XLE is extra added to the LE edition so it's the topmost trim with everything

GL trim I doubt if you would get that also very rare to come by but the one I have seen is loaded.

61 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Timagex(m): 11:28am On Nov 13, 2022
abrahambest:

Thanks for your input. I like the SE Trim because of its sporty looks n performance as well. Any recommendations??

By recommendation you mean, other cars in the performance category?
Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by abrahambest(m): 11:37am On Nov 13, 2022
Timagex:

By recommendation you mean, other cars in the performance category?
To be specific, on the camry trims.
Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Timagex(m): 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2022
abrahambest:

To be specific, on the camry trims.

If that is the case, you should be good with the 2010 SE. Just watch out for the normal Camry issues like melting dash boards and oil shortage.

Bless up!

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by abrahambest(m): 2:27pm On Nov 13, 2022
Timagex:

If that is the case, you should be good with the 2010 SE. Just watch out for the normal Camry issues like melting dash boards and oil shortage.

Bless up!

Thanks a lot.
Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by PresEmeka: 8:36am On Nov 15, 2022
nurey:

2007 camry was plagued with transmission wahala

2007 to 2009 had 2.4L i4 which had oil burning issues which most people are adviced to avoid just to play it safe.

2010 and 2011 had 2.5L i4 which is very good and solid no issues.

2007 to 2011 3.5L V6 is good but people would say avoid V6 because it uses more fuel than 4cylinder for same distance moved. The V6 is solid but don't let it overheat because its aluminum engine.

For the trim CE is the most basic and comes with manual transmission which is very rare to come by.

LE is luxury edition, has basic and luxury accessories for your use

SE is sports as in body and suspension doesn't mean it would be faster than LE cause they have same engine and transmission

XLE is extra added to the LE edition so it's the topmost trim with everything

GL trim I doubt if you would get that also very rare to come by but the one I have seen is loaded.
sir coud you do same for 2008-2012 honda accord
thanks

2 Likes

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by JoeNL22(m): 12:41pm On Nov 15, 2022
Cum @O.p, when will you buy Omoluabi Ahmed Obi's own?

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by YeyeGbami: 12:41pm On Nov 15, 2022
grin

You better go buy one small tokunbo car with 1.6L engine, invest the remaining money. Big motor big wahala my brother

I remember how much muscle shock absorbers be that time wey i dey drive am. You get mouths to feed.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by GeneralPula: 12:41pm On Nov 15, 2022
Car, it has 4 tires.

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by gentlekay2017: 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2022
Toyota

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by bigdammyj: 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2022
Congrats in advance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by lordparcel: 12:44pm On Nov 15, 2022
grin
Teach us how to fish
Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by ROYH(m): 12:45pm On Nov 15, 2022
Congratulations.. My time is coming soon

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Besto(m): 12:45pm On Nov 15, 2022
Get a V6

Sharp movement even with full load with AC on and a more quiet Engine on load

But I4 undecided

You can't be worried about fuel if you can afford a car

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Agro20220: 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2022
G
Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by shortgun(m): 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2022
Congratulations in advance,
Just know that a vehicle in your garage adds to your responsibility mentally and financially.

Kindly note the following:

1.No matter what anyone tells you no vehicle is maintenance free!
2.whatever trim, make or model you choose to buy, remember that the primary purpose of a vehicle is to take you from point A to point B... unless u hv other motives
3. You will appear richer and look like someone that has "made it" to your neighbors, friends and family.
4. Expect more insecurity and harsh attitude from your wife when you are not able to explain in details your whereabouts....to her
5. Beware of "friends and family" that will recommend mechanics that will be fixing Ur car.....most times they will usually take a certain percentage from the mechanics.
6. Buy your vehicle from a trusted dealer and make sure to park it in a secured environment.....some dealers have been caught stealing vehicles they sold earlier.
7. Never make the mistake of thinking your vehicle should be faster than any other vehicle on the road even if they are same trim and model as yours.
8. Be prepared to hurt alot of people in your circle cos you won't be able to drive all of them to where they want to be all d time.
9. Most beautiful girls that look distressed on the road are baits...
10. Mechanics will frustrate you if you don't let them cheat you... this is guaranteed 100%

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by Pootle: 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2022
buy what ever you like...ignore those easy to maintain and fuel efficient nonsense.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by hoyinmide(m): 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2022
Anybody knows well about ACURA TL 2009/2010 and is it a good buy

1 Like

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by adonainana: 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2022
4m naira almost 5500 dollars for a 12 year old car in a country where minimum wage is 30k naira a month (42 dollars a month)

God abeg oooo help your children

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by kingmsookwagh(m): 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2022
I have no advice for you bruv as I drive anything I see and allow God take control.

But I can only be happy for you.
I always promise myself whenever I see things like this that I will do better.

Congratulations bruv!!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by ZINNYBANKS: 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2022
Save up Brody and buy geely or innoson brand new car . 75% of cars shipped in to Nigeria are salvage cars .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by fitinwell: 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2022
abrahambest:
Hello all,

Jlk
Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by affable4(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2022
In all, whatever you settle for,don't be unlucky to buy a repackaged gburagbura.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience by mbahdi(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2022
Toyota Corolla anytime any fay

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Children's Hospital Unveils Mini-cars For Patients To Ride To Surgery / What Causes Trac Off Light To Come On? / Innoson Motors Reacts To IGP Filing N2.4bn Shipping Fraud Against Innoson Motors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.