Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,068 members, 7,810,999 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming (35624 Views)

Maize Farming: Naira land members ventured into.maize farming (Video+pics) / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria / Garri Business: My Journey So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 8:47pm On Nov 13, 2022
Farming is one of the most lucrative business if you can have access to farmland land and also capital to run the farm.
So in this thread, I will document my progress, also the challenges i have faced as a zealous and an amateur farmer.
HOW IT BEGINS
I leave Abia in late june 2022 for Borno state.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:01pm On Nov 13, 2022
When the raining season rtarted fully, i bought 5ltrs of herbicide, spray the farmland... I have two different farms aproximately 3 hectares all together.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by kyinusa: 10:06pm On Nov 13, 2022
Following

5 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:08pm On Nov 13, 2022
Due to the shortage of fund, i resort to using rickshaw to plow the farm I paid #10,000 for it. I hire labourers @ #1,500 each to sow the farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks5xrG8zVyo

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:40pm On Nov 13, 2022
#Pest attack
My first major set back in the business was pest attack... There is this notorious cream like larvae with 3 pairs of leg called WHITE GRUB, this nasty pest destroy about 20% of the seedling. Couple with caterpillar feeding on the buds.. Which i have to replant/check the ones that died.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:46pm On Nov 13, 2022
#weed control
Frstly i apply NICOVIEW, a herbicide engineered to kill all sort of weeds in maize crop with knapsack sprayer.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:51pm On Nov 13, 2022
#Fertilizer
I have bought 150kg i.e 3bags of NPK fertilizer and 25kg of Urea, 1ltr of foliar/super agro liquid fertiliser

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:54pm On Nov 13, 2022
Another setback was a mishap occurs, caused by wind when i was applying chemical to kill the weeds under the maize plants. It damaged about 20 rows of the young maize plant.
Vid loading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHylUD0VAc

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:59pm On Nov 13, 2022
#SECOND SETBACK WAS
RAINFALL!
Due to the excessive rain, the maize crop was severely affected, causing half of the farm to fail..
Video loading...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHek---Rpc

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 11:00pm On Nov 13, 2022
Weeks later
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:24pm On Nov 14, 2022
kyinusa:
Following
at tenth week the maize start making fruit cool

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:53pm On Nov 14, 2022
wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:55pm On Nov 14, 2022
cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by emmaodet: 9:25pm On Nov 16, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
Farming is one of the most lucrative business if you can have access to farmland land and also capital to run the farm.
So in this thread, I will document my progress, also the challenges i have faced as a zealous and an amateur farmer.
HOW IT BEGINS
I leave Abia in late june 2022 for Borno state.

So you did this farm in bornu state?

Because the farm looks clean and clear of weeds unlike south

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 7:29pm On Nov 17, 2022
emmaodet:

So you did this farm in bornu state?

Because the farm looks clean and clear of weeds unlike south
LOL yes of course. All you need is the right chemical and timed application.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2022
Fantastic!

Kudos to the OP!

This are the kind of intellectuals that have capitalized on Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s statement.

With the USA being the largest producer of maize, we just need a thousand technocrats like the OP, and we will overtake the US

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is so proud of you OP

Asiwaju knows we are lagging behind economically, and he is not denying it. With people like you, we are guaranteed of a better tomorrow.

47 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Franzinni: 2:21pm On Dec 11, 2022
I love farming ... It's the language of nature ..

I can't wait to begin farming again ... After Fulani heardsmen have decided to leave farmers alone

I love the idea of sowing and reaping ... Op may God Almighty continue to enlarge your coast ... May you yield 1000 fold, your thread is relaxing to me .

67 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Exceed15: 2:22pm On Dec 11, 2022
God bless your Hussle.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by JoeNL22(m): 2:22pm On Dec 11, 2022
Nice.....you need to alias with Obi.
He must make you part of his northern agricultural agenda.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Ikennaford: 2:22pm On Dec 11, 2022
RGo and teach this your farming in the villages for free not on naira land, non of us deh do farming, na yahoo Boys and girls full here, plus aspiring oloshos

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Siberia01(m): 2:22pm On Dec 11, 2022
cool

God bless you OP for what you're doing
Your one of the few youths adding value to the economy...
Others are either hoping to win 200million from Bet9ja one day!

Others have bought some speculative assets called crypto hoping to become a billionaire in 2024 without doing anything ...

Let's work together and make this country great

Japa is not for everybody

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Neduzze5(m): 2:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
Awesome
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Juanmike(m): 2:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
As long as you not an Urchin, It's good my me. More power...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by anambraamaka: 2:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
Nice, good luck
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by blkmum700: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2022
I love your courage, I can’t even think of going that far north for farming, are you from the north ?borno of all places ha mai hand no de .

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by BettingScam: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2022
Fulani cow will soon eat all your farm

7 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Skillsnigeria: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2022
Okay
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Bluntguy: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2022
I'm interested in maize farming. And what happened at last @op?
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Atlantis585: 2:25pm On Dec 11, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
Due to the shortage of fund, i resort to using rickshaw to plow the farm I paid #10,000 for it. I hire labourers @ #1,500 each to sow the farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks5xrG8zVyo

Good efforts my brother. In this day and age when most people are complaining of unemployment and only care about how to japa, it’s good to see someone making this serious effort.

May God protect you and your farm from devilish APC herdsmen.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by nkemoma(m): 2:25pm On Dec 11, 2022
Farm only for your house to avoid visits from Bouharis kinsmen

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Prokaryote: 2:25pm On Dec 11, 2022
I dey follow u.... How were you able to access land in borno. Kindly share cost and experience.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of Rice Polishing Factory In Kebbi State Kicks Off (Photos) / After 7 Months Of Cultivation, Nigerian Soldier Harvests Her Rice (photos) / Top 30 Practical Agro-allied Business Ideas And Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.