Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,750 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming (35723 Views)

Maize Farming: Naira land members ventured into.maize farming (Video+pics) / All You Need To Know About Maize Farming In Nigeria / Garri Business: My Journey So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:25pm On Dec 16, 2022
Hollyharjii:
This trend absolutely encouraged me, I love farming, I mean commercial farming, planning to start mine early next year, even though cost of land is really expensive here, but with God by myside and determination, I believe it'll be possible. Needed to start somewhere
Amen. i pray to see your thread on NL like dis next year
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:28pm On Dec 16, 2022
mcgift:
Labour cheap for your side sef
Naso? 1.5k for 6hrs 2k for 7hrs I dont think it is
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:32pm On Dec 16, 2022
K1995:
Sincerely speaking you tried, when I remembered most part of the North,I remember insecurity,generally in Nigeria no security, Weldon guy,wishing you fruitful year.

Insecurity is here but not much here where i live, but there are many incident of kidnapping and all.. BUt its relat?Vely calm compare to other places. Thnks

2 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:35pm On Dec 16, 2022
seborrhic:

I don't understand this thread of yours.
You left Abia State June 2022,by November you had already started spraying pesticide on a farmland in Borno State.
You didn't tell us how you got the farmland because it seems you are either not an indigene of Borno or not based there.
Stories like this must follow a logical sequence if you want others to learn,follow in your footsteps or avoid mistakes you made.It also helps anyone trying to follow that path to know the kind of budget to have in mind.
How land was acquired,then preparation of land,how maize seeds were sourced,etc.

No vex i go update am.
I lost my phone thats why

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2022
Treadway:
you took the words right out of my mouth. Op, take this advice seriously. Mixed cropping in this instance is vital, don't do only corn, include cassava. Also, don't sell the soft wet corn, harvest them and let them dry out in a protected shed or silo. Then shell it and sell the grains. Again, include cassava, as maize alone won't make you enough money/profit. I also did this years ago when I had access to 4hectares at Arigidi-Akoko. Cassava and corn..sold the corn to various buyers, sold the cassava to FIIRO. Made cool cash. Also read the instructions (including online) for herbicides before you use them. If a herbicide will kill narrow leaved plants, it will kill you corn too. So you use a broad-leaved herbicide instead.

Keep it up!
Wow glad to heard u farm too.. Well bout the HERBICIDE, you knw they are of dif type CONTACT HERBICIDE e.g Paraquat, and SYSTEMATIC HERBICIDE e.g Weedkiller Gobara etc. we use the contact herbicide in the farm when d maize are hi

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by UNDFTD: 10:43pm On Dec 16, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:

Wetin this one dey talk... Fulani will just send in their cattles just like that? Like na dem papa get the farm? LOL

As they say, "The taste of the pudding is in the eaten." Wait till those terrorist Fulani herdsmen get hold of the grown corn and see what their cattle would do to them.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:48pm On Dec 16, 2022
gh enough and the stems are matured enough to withstand the effect of the chemical. and its economic wise, effective than the Atrazine IF YOU PROPERLY KNOW HOW TO APPLY IT else you will destroy ur crop though.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:56pm On Dec 16, 2022
Kanchelskiz:

You should have used nicosulfron(striker) for the weed control.
It is way safer than paraquat for maize

Yeah i used it to, but thing is sulfrons tame weed slower compare to paraquat and anoda advantage of paraquat is that it make weed rot faster thereby providing more nutrients for the crop compare to nicosulfron. What i ha ve obseqved with STRIKER is that, it stunts maize growth. i prefare Nicoview over STRIKER.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 10:58pm On Dec 16, 2022
KNOWMORE56:

This is how it happened to me about August/september. Insects invaded my ugu (pumpkin) farm...

A woman told me to go and sniper or ortá-pia-pia (insecticide)...

O boi, na so chemical burn burn my small crop farm o o, including the maize plants.

Probably an overdose or u use a contaminated sprayer. Sorry for the lose.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 11:08pm On Dec 16, 2022
ABBEYsammy01:
Your farm look very neat and clean. What type of chemical did you apply?
Thaeks! Its Paraquat BUT PLS DONT TRY TO USE IT UNLESS U KNOW HOW TO APPLY IT!

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 11:14pm On Dec 16, 2022
Shantyken:
how much is npk/urea over there

Premium NPK 30K
LOW QUALITY 19K,20K etc.

but UREA was more expensive because its A CONTRABAND goods the NG ARMY banned it claiming that Boko Haram use it in making IEDs.

UREA 50KG sold at 37k

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 11:16pm On Dec 16, 2022
Babisha10:
From Abia to Borno is too far Man why not Taraba, Benue or Nasarawa State?
Borno is my home state.
free access to land.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 11:39pm On Dec 16, 2022
delvzy:
OP, i must commend you for sharing something like this to us all. I just wan ask a few Qs if you don't mind.

1. What was the estimated capital you set aside for this venture?

2. How did you have access to land? Was it on lease or fully owned?

3. What advise will you give a newbie in the Agriculture space?

Ans.
1. I have been into farming since 2017, so i have been increasing my budget sincd. this yr i have budget 250k.

2. Its family farmland not leased.

3. (To be honest farming is more like a gamble according to me). So if one is going to start farming, where substantial or commercial, i suggest he/she be lead by experienced person, unless the pesin is well versed in practical aspect of the crop he/she want to farm. Things like (right soil, right time to apply the chemicals etc.)
In short RESEARCH alot!

My 1 cent.

3 Likes

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 11:40pm On Dec 16, 2022
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Dude did his home work well, nothing like he did it in Borno state. Grass no dey grow for Borno?

I wonder oo LOL

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 12:02am On Dec 17, 2022
UNDFTD:

As they say, "The taste of the pudding is in the eaten." Wait till those terrorist Fulani herdsmen get hold of the grown corn and see what their cattle would do to them.
hmm
That will be the day the herder will met his maker... By the way the herders here arent like the devil incarnates there in the middle belt and the south... The ones here arent like that.

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by UNDFTD: 12:05am On Dec 17, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
hmm
That will be the day the herder will met his maker... By the way the herders here arent like the devil incarnates there in the middle belt and the south... The ones here arent like that.

Good luck with that!
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Hollyharjii: 3:38pm On Dec 17, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
Amen. i pray to see your thread on NL like dis next year

Amen... Thanks for that bro
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:
hmm
They aren't like that, right? You guys shud just chill. Its a matter of time theyll be like that.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 9:19pm On Dec 17, 2022
FarmTech:

They aren't like that, right? You guys shud just chill. Its a matter of time theyll be like that.

Hmm okay oo
But when they try anyhow, dem go colet anyhw..

Nevertheless, Peace all we want

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by FarmTech(m): 8:36am On Dec 18, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:

Hmm okay oo
But when they try anyhow, dem go colet anyhw..

Nevertheless, Peace all we want
I hope you guys have GPM, AK and rocket launchers? That is the sort of weapons Fulanis have oo. So una get ready else una go become refugees one day.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 3:49pm On Dec 18, 2022
FarmTech:

I hope you guys have GPM, AK and rocket launchers? That is the sort of weapons Fulanis have oo. So una get ready else una go become refugees one day.
Abegi enough of this fearmongering. Appy weekend!

1 Like

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by FarmTech(m): 7:12pm On Dec 18, 2022
RuMiRgO1stSon:

Abegi enough of this fearmongering. Appy weekend!
Benue and Southern Kaduna probably thought like that too. But one day became one day.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 6:20am On Dec 19, 2022
FarmTech:

Benue and Southern Kaduna probably thought like that too. But one day became one day.
Lets us deal Boko Haram and bandits first.
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 4:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
Hey guys sorry for the long delay thanks. After long wait, I got my phone back... All thanks to my able friend who help me tracking the phone....
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 4:58pm On Jan 20, 2023
Apart from the maize, I have planted beans too in the farm but due to too much water in the soil, the beans are not performing as expected

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 5:00pm On Jan 20, 2023
There was little time lapse in the documentary because I moved to another village to look after the other farm, so before I came back the maize are almost ready for harvest

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 5:23pm On Jan 20, 2023
Few days later, I start cutting and pilling the matured maize crops in order for it to dry.
this is the first step in harvesting maize crop here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEIBoaVlpE

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 7:33pm On Jan 20, 2023
Too much of water in the soil make the beans to fail

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Orwasen: 8:21pm On Jan 20, 2023
BEST AGRO SEEDLINGS
Call or Whatsapp Best Agro +2347069670428
*Palm tress
*Orange
*Mango
*Ogbono
*Guava
*Plantains suckers
*Cashew
*Pawpaw
*Kola nut
*Bitter kola
*Coco
*Coconut
*Moringa
*Pears
*Avacodo etc

Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by Balloa1(m): 8:12pm On Sep 16, 2023
RuMiRgO1stSon:
gh enough and the stems are matured enough to withstand the effect of the chemical. and its economic wise, effective than the Atrazine IF YOU PROPERLY KNOW HOW TO APPLY IT else you will destroy ur crop though.

You're well done Bro, by now you should have understand better. Please what's the approximate kilo to reap from an acre of land?
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by RuMiRgO1stSon: 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2023
Balloa1:

You're well done Bro, by now you should have understand better. Please what's the approximate kilo to reap from an acre of land?
Honest have no idea on that
Re: Recap: My Journey So Far Into Maize Farming by obinna58(m): 9:58pm On Feb 13
RuMiRgO1stSon:

LOL thats not true, i farm three seperate farms even though rainfall destroy half of the first and the largest farm, but i have harvest 18bags of 100kg bag of maize, my profit was about 200% becavse the total amount i spent was #136k and a bag of maize sell at #19k... The second i got 11bags and the total cost was #113300 the farm was far from me so i spent more to tend the farm and the proft was about 70%. If not because my bean fail due to plaque like pest infestation, wallahi the profit will have ben what hausa called KAZAMIN RIBA... Farming especially maise is very lucrative, but only if you knw hw to do it. Peace!
Baba I fit find help from you, I’ve been into poultry until bag of maize became unbearable(50k), i wan produce maize for myself

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 30 Practical Agro-allied Business Ideas And Opportunities / Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body / Akwa Ibom Women Go To Farm With Weapon To Protect Selves From Bandits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.