Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,649 members, 7,851,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:58 PM

2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution (1313 Views)

Doguwa: Tinubu Risks Losing Kano Over APC Crisis / Uba Appeals Court’s Disqualification As APC Candidate / Awara Biokpombo Risks Disqualification As He Flouts INEC Campaign Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Validated: 6:02am On Nov 14, 2022
Section 137 (1) (d) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) provides that1) A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President if:

(d) He is under a sentence of death imposed by any competent court of law or tribunal in Nigeria or a sentence of imprisonment or fine for any offence involving dishonesty or fraud (by whatever name called) or for any other offence, imposed on him by ANY COURT or tribunal or substituted by a competent authority for any other sentence imposed on him by such a court or tribunal.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by PrinceOfLagos: 6:04am On Nov 14, 2022
He will be disqualified

His name was boldly written in drug case in united States
He even forfeited $460,000 proceeds of drugs to the united States government according to the damning report

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:05am On Nov 14, 2022
He was not sentenced though, I believe he was only indicted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Naira20: 6:07am On Nov 14, 2022
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Hezzyluv: 6:07am On Nov 14, 2022
Controversies just enveloped this man

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Redomi(m): 6:09am On Nov 14, 2022
Which constitution? Sharia abi Nigeria?
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Abdul05: 6:10am On Nov 14, 2022

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Naira20: 6:11am On Nov 14, 2022
He was indicted and he never contested it.
booblacain:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Validated: 6:13am On Nov 14, 2022
booblacain:

Do you pay fine without being sentenced? Even plea bargaining is still a conviction.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Validated: 6:13am On Nov 14, 2022
Redomi:

And you cannot read?

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:18am On Nov 14, 2022
Naira20:

INEC cannot disqualify based on an indictment. The law says a person can be disqualified if he/she was sentenced.

Yes, judging by common sense, the fact that he did not contest it coukd be a proof of guilt, but judging by the constitution, it means nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Validated: 6:24am On Nov 14, 2022
booblacain:

INEC cannot disqualify based on an indictment. The law says a person can be disqualified if he/she was sentenced.

Yes, judging by common sense, the fact that he did not contest it coukd be a proof of guilt, but judging by the constitution, it means nothing.
Lay man arguement. So, why forfeiture?
Did he donate $460K to US government?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by WibusJaga: 6:25am On Nov 14, 2022

Fact is Tinubu is a questionable & controversial character & is not fit to occupy the highest public office in Nigeria.
Quite unfortunate that he emerged as APC candidate simply because Secret Balloting that would have effectively eliminated bribery/buying of delegates was not employed in the primaries.
Else more credible candidates like Osinbajo or Amaechi would have won.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:26am On Nov 14, 2022
Validated:

Do you pay fine without being sentenced? Even plea bargaining is still a conviction.

Going by what I have been reading on this matter, I believe he made a forfeiture and not a fine, they are two different things.

Not all pleas bargains are recorded as a conviction.

Was he morally convicted, I believe so, was he lawfully convicted, I doubt that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:30am On Nov 14, 2022
Validated:

Lay man arguement. So, why forfeiture?
Did he donate $460K to US government?

I believe you are the one making a layman argument here. You should do more research on how the US law system works before arguing.

I am not here to defend him, I am simply trying to bring some clarity on your initial post.
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Naira20: 6:33am On Nov 14, 2022
The bolded is my intention.

That said, I don't expect INEC or any Court of law to disqualify Tinubu.

The only people to retire these principalities are the Nigerian people. For now, We are not interested in legalese but commonsense and morality.
We can't trust venal judges to adjudicate matters like this.

By the way,what constitution are we even referring to?

booblacain:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by TINUBUISMAD: 6:33am On Nov 14, 2022
The criminal should be disqualified immediately
Barawo banza kawai

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by JASONjnr(m): 6:34am On Nov 14, 2022
booblacain:

Indicted?

Someone that's popularly known for pushing drugs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:42am On Nov 14, 2022
Naira20:
The bolded is my intention.

That said, I don't expect INEC or any Court of law to disqualify Tinubu.

The only people to retire these principalities are the Nigerian people. For now, We are not interested in legalese but commonsense and morality.
We can't trust venal judges to adjudicate matters like this.....

Exactly the way the matter should be approached. Going it the legal route may amount to nothing.
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Naira20: 6:44am On Nov 14, 2022
It should have but for now, yes
booblacain:

Exactly the way the matter should be approached. Going it the legal route may amount to nothing.
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:45am On Nov 14, 2022
Naira20:

.....By the way,what constitution are we even referring to?

I guess I should have mentioned that the constitution according to what was stated in the original post. I don't know much about what the constitution actually says about matters like these.
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Naira20: 6:47am On Nov 14, 2022
Our constitution can be exploited.The issue is, who adjudicates
booblacain:

I guess I should have mentioned that the constitution according to what was stated in the original post.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by NigerianAngelo(m): 6:50am On Nov 14, 2022
booblacain:

Indicted but not sentenced. Hmm.... ENGLISH.

Ok, let Nigeria slam the sentence for the indiction. Since he has not yet served it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:53am On Nov 14, 2022
Naira20:
Our constitution can be exploited.The issue is, who adjudicates

Well, I am sure there is not shortage of well read and intelligent people in the opposition bold enough to call it out if the constitution is being exploited in this matter.
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by booblacain(m): 6:57am On Nov 14, 2022
NigerianAngelo:

Indicted but not sentenced. Hmm.... ENGLISH.

That is English for you. It may well be the most exploitative language in the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Naira20: 7:01am On Nov 14, 2022
Pal,
There are copious examples why we don't waste our time in court anymore.

Even supreme court judgments raises questions.
I still insist the judge (and a disinterested one at that) matters.

Imagine a Judge who is an APC member adjudicating over a PDP matter
booblacain:

Well, I am sure there is not shortage of well read and intelligent people in the opposition bold enough to call it out if the constitution is being exploited in this matter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Realist12: 7:05am On Nov 14, 2022
I don't mean to sound tribalistic, but a section of Nigerians are always willing to believe any rumor that antagonizes their imaginative enemy , this is democracy they can do better .
We all saw how just any man came from no where with no prior political influence to tell them of Fulani agenda they believed him , this said man tested another lie by telling them Buhari is dead and cloned, yet they still believed him , the educated and illiterate could swear he was stating the facts.
Not like they don't have honest and visionary leaders amongst them but they are easily deceived by the con men therefore promoting such to Saint status.
Is democracy not enlightening these guys, David Hundeyin like other political actor knows their weakness and he's about to enjoy the godlike status amongst them just like Reno and FFK have enjoyed in the past.

The Law is Supreme, the Law has exonerated Tinubu but David is who they choose to believe ? Isn't that a prerequisite to Anarchy?

It's the duty of their Lawyers and educated ones to enlighten them , we Yorubas should also support in our own way.

Remember the adage that says if your roommate eats cockroach and you feign, you'd both be affected by his stomach ache at night , coz if he can't sleep you won't sleep as well . Not like Yorubas are not doing her best embracing each other but we can do better.
Hopefully the unrest won't travel to the southwest someday, coz that will be the end .
Our pre colonial systems is playing out here , most other regions have established leadership, the caliphate, empires, kingdoms etc which taxed her territories and provided military security but that can't be said of the East . They need true leadership but always falling into the hands of those that alienate them politically without considering the future of her people.
That's one of the reasons I am against Obi's brand of politics.

We have a duty to protect the democracy we all fought so hard for.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by PointZerom: 7:06am On Nov 14, 2022
Not that his Yoruba supporters don't know how evil Thifnubu is. They don't care just to spite the Igbos. To them it doesn't matter anymore.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Innocentman86: 7:10am On Nov 14, 2022
Redomi:
Yoru bad fake Muslimns constitution.
You want a ritualisst,drug dealer,theiff,and tribalist to rigg because nobody will vote him just because he is from your tribe.
Hrtless man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Chinjo2: 7:12am On Nov 14, 2022
Tinubu must be resisted. Either at the polls or in the courts. Say no to drug lord.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by Chinjo2: 7:15am On Nov 14, 2022
Naira20:

Find out what it means to be indicated. Can you forfeit $460,000 without committing any offence? Are you bereft of knowledge or you are just being sentimental?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2023: Tinubu Risks Disqualification As Per Nigeria Constitution by benzypher(m): 11:30am On Nov 14, 2022
Chinjo2:

Find out what it means to be indicated. Can you forfeit $460,000 without committing any offence? Are you bereft of knowledge or you are just being sentimental?

bro isn't there a way you can be more proactive (instead of noisemaking on nairaland)?
come out and start a petition with many signatories (ordinary nigerians will want to see this through) for a probe into his case with possible disqualification.
don't sitdown and expect INEC to do everything...be a good citizen will ya.

(1) (2) (Reply)

David Hundeyin, Thisday , Nairaland Caught Publishing Fake News / Meet Yusuf Alabi, The Viral Boy In Peter Obi's Lagos Rally(Video Interview) / Atiku's Presidency May Lead To The Division Of Nigeria Or At Least National Chao

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.