Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,537 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? (2905 Views)

Poll: Do you support capital purnishment?

Yes: 63% (14 votes)
No: 36% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Question: Do You Support Death Penalty For Corrupt Government Officials? / Presidency Probes Death Of Tortured Inmate Over Patience Jonathan’s $3m / Senate Will Support Death Penalty For Oil-thieves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Njoy1(f): 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2007
For me the death sentence is wrong, I truly believe in the power of forgiveness. For the evil doer's they will all get their comeuppance.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by doyin13(m): 8:55pm On Aug 25, 2007
I just feel we cannot decide a priori whether we support the death sentence or not.

This sort of decision should be left to the kins of the victim.

Nominally I dont support the death sentence, but there are crimes you hear of
that just makes you befuddled about the continuous existence of the perpetuators
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by HolinessM: 9:16pm On Aug 25, 2007
An eye for an eye boy -
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by swing4real(m): 7:53am On Aug 26, 2007
@doyin13
You said it all.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by kingrd(m): 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2007
Has the death penalty served its main purpose ie deterrence? The answer is no.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by doyin13(m): 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2007
That is if assuming the sole purpose is deterrence.

Retribution is also a primary motivation
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Afam(m): 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2007
Now let us test the genuineness of our positions especially for those that are opposed to death penalty.

How many of you are in support of the war on terror especially those targeted at Osama and Al qaeda?

Oya, make we see the objectivity for hia.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by BABEELOVE(f): 5:58pm On Aug 26, 2007
N-joy:

For me the death sentence is wrong, I[b] truly believe in the power of forgiveness.[/b] For the evil doer's they will all get their comeuppance.

Thank you my sis!!!!  Please Preach it!!!! kiss I think these sentiments will fall along gender specific preferences.  Guys are more prone to call for the hang man than women.  Any blood thirsty females in the house It will extremely difficult for most women to agree with the death penalty--just because if you have kids---even if yours have been killed by some monster--that maternal instinct will always rear it's sensitive head.  It is a difficult position to assume for most women.  But the men? Of course---every thing na war!!!!

[b]Hosa hosa ho!!!----Hosa hosa ho!!!----[/b]you guys will sing war song for everything!---Make una chill oh!!!!  If you cannot create a human life, you have no business taking one.

At least no one go accuse me of "Flirting"----Fear no let person participate for political section again oh!!! shocked  Na so so boys full here!!!  Where are these girls:-----Osisi where you dey sef?----- angry
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by BABEELOVE(f): 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2007
Afam:

Now let us test the genuineness of our positions especially for those that are opposed to death penalty.

How many of you are in support of the war on terror especially those targeted at Osama and Al qaeda?

Oya, make we see the objectivity for hia.

I do not support any war on terror--especially when you do not know who the real terrorists are. Please let us not even enter that arena.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2007
Thank for that point AFAM. BABEELOVE come out and defend this now. there is a news of a 5 years old boy that was kidnapped and set ablaze by terrorist. if this culprits were caught, what punishment befits them?
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by BABEELOVE(f): 7:50pm On Aug 27, 2007
Mamajama:

Thank for that point AFAM. BABEELOVE come out and defend this now. there is a news of a 5 years old boy that was kidnapped and set ablaze by terrorist. if this culprits were caught, what punishment befits them?

Send his arse to the darkest "hole" for 23 hours a day---for the rest of his natural and unnatural life--one hour to see daylignt --the best form of torture. Solitary confinement!!! Throw away the key! Like I said--if you have never created a human life--and I do not mean by the process of "lying down" -------you have no business taking one!!!! kiss
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2007
BABEELOVE:

if you have never created a human life--and I do not mean by the process of [b]"lying down" -------you have no business taking one!!!! [/b] kiss

Real talk, but why waste resources and tax payers money on a cage lion that might escape and terrorise or unleash its vengeance on the society?

Why can't we just do away with him now and save everyone the agony?
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Seun(m): 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2007
What if the caged lion didn't actually commit the crime. it happens more frequently than you think.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 8:06pm On Aug 27, 2007
Well they have to evaluate all resources available. No one is saying to kill people once convicted. Some of this dead man walking were on death row for over 2 decades. How do you justify telling someone we are going to kill you when the time comes. How do you boost such a morale?

SOme criminal deserve to be publicly executed and some can be reprehensible.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by BABEELOVE(f): 9:15pm On Aug 27, 2007
Mamajama:

Real talk, but why waste resources and tax payers money on a cage lion that might escape and terrorise or unleash its vengeance on the society?

Why can't we just do away with him now and save everyone the agony?

We are talking of a "human life" here! "do away" shocked Like it is some insect or something? I wll rather waste resources than waste a human life. he he he he he he he!!! Now this is someone that cannot kill a chicken oh! cheesy You will have children someday and you will understand!

Seun:

What if the caged lion didn't actually commit the crime. it happens more frequently than you think.

Thank You Baba! tongue

That is my greatest fear--Killing an innocent man in error---although if you come to think of it--most people that were killed may have committed some kind of heinous crime in the past to land in the "hang man's" net. But how do we know?
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 9:33pm On Aug 27, 2007
BABEELOVE go marry Seun now. abeg una leave talk. I do have children and there is nothing you can tell me to spare someone who kill or attach my kids.

In the olden days they say when someone smack you on the right cheek, turn and give him the left cheek. These days someone smack me on the right cheek you bet there will be a fight, LOL grin grin Who ever wrote that mess must don't know how to fight. lol
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by BABEELOVE(f): 4:44am On Aug 28, 2007
Mamajama:

BABEELOVE go marry Seun now. abeg una leave talk. I do have children and there is nothing you can tell me to spare someone who kill or attach my kids.

In the olden days they say when someone smack you on the right cheek, turn and give him the left cheek. These days someone smack me on the right cheek you bet there will be a fight, LOL grin grin Who ever wrote that mess must don't know how to fight. lol

I always suspected all along that you were not normal.------You just confirmed my suspicions!  Please get some help! angry
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by shango(m): 5:55am On Aug 28, 2007
death penalty is ok as long as you are the one not being wrongly condemned. I bet if you where wrongly condemned you would still support the death penalty

and I bet most of the people that support the war on terror especially those of Naija descent would do a 180 if they instituted a draft and called your ass to the front lines

Cruelty is always ok as long as it is not happening to them and is happening to others. Once it is on you people like Mamajama start singing a different tune.

if people support the war on terror then PLEASE JOIN THE SOLDIERS IN IRAQ, THE SURGE CAN BE MORE EFEFCTIVE WITH MORE TROOPS, the more people the higher chance of "victory" so please join up.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2007
BABEELOVE we can't all have your spirit. I see why we need women to make the world a peaceful environment. Men and our testosterone. lol
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Afam(m): 5:28pm On Aug 28, 2007
There is a difference between executing someone that has killed a human being and executing someone wrongly.

I am interested in executing anyone that takes another life.

Anyone that kills another does not deserve to live, is this not simple and rational enough?
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2007
Afam to BABEELOVE and Seun it is not rational enough, they want us to put them behind bars and continue to work to pay for their medical bills and continue to feed them.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by doyin13(m): 8:04pm On Aug 28, 2007
@Mamajama

That is what I find most irrational

Why keep someone till they die without any use of their labour

It is an existence worse than death I feel.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 8:08pm On Aug 28, 2007
doyin13 impressive response. My point is an eye for an eye. if you kill someone with no remorse then you should be hang as well. forget about in humane or what ever this OYINBO people called it. If you show no mercy for your victims, why should you be spared? In JAMAICA they say No MERCY FOR THE MERCILESS.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by buchi25: 7:52pm On Aug 29, 2007
I think one of the purposes of executing these killers is to put that fear in those who intends to kill or on their way to kill. if they kill your relative and
succeed they will have the cuts to come and kill another.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 8:57pm On Aug 30, 2007
remember its not a crime until you are caught and found guilty
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by BlackMamba(m): 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2007
Not all murderers get death sentence but premeditated murder and murder committed in complete disregard for human life deserves double death sentence, if possible. I'll turn the switch in a second and feel a lot better thereafter. I cannot fathom killing another human for no justifiable reason and getting a break due to some moral mumbo jumbo. Kill an innocent man and get fried. Period.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by shango(m): 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2007
funny how Christians advocate Death Penalty when the New Testament says God will be the final judge.

The hypocrisy of Christians gets me everytime, Jesus, the person we Christians are supposed to emulate, forgave robbers and thieves and killers but we think we should be executing them?

The hypocrisy kills me.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 4:00pm On Aug 31, 2007
shango doesn't the same bible said an eye for an eye? Please leave religion out of this this is moral and ethical issue. Why should the government used my tax payers money to feed and house and clothe someone that brutally killed my friend or family member for unjustifiable reason? Why should he be spare?
Let me ask you a question, on CNN couple days ago, a young 6 years old was kidnapped and set ablaze. Luckily he survive the ordeal and is still in critical condition. What punishment befits the perpetrator of this crime?
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Mamajama(m): 7:43pm On Aug 31, 2007
Kazakhstan's nuclear orphans are a distressing sight: heads that don't match their undersized bodies, and legs and arms twisted in awful contortions

Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Afam(m): 7:57pm On Aug 31, 2007
shango:

funny how Christians advocate Death Penalty when the New Testament says God will be the final judge.

The hypocrisy of Christians gets me everytime, Jesus, the person we Christians are supposed to emulate, forgave robbers and thieves and killers but we think we should be executing them?

The hypocrisy kills me.

If you want to insult Chriatians come out and do it openly, stop hiding behind such silly comments on what people feel and think should be done to people that kill others.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by oderemo(m): 11:52pm On Nov 22, 2008
an eye 4 an eye. innit.
Re: Texas Executes 400th Inmate, Do You Support Death Sentence? by Tudor6(f): 9:03am On Dec 17, 2009
A serial killer who murderers hundreds of people is apprehended then locked up for life, housed and fed with tax payers money, has access to top quality free healthcare. . . .meanwhile there are homeless law abiding citizens who are left to die of hunger on the streets.

How stupid is that?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Coming Lagos Tsunami / Police Arrest 500 Kidnappers / What To Do About Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.