Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,779 members, 7,813,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (28878 Views)

Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / Second Term Begins: Did You Do This While In Primary Or Secondary School? / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ExAngel007(f): 10:53pm On Nov 30, 2022
The federal government has approved a new National Language Policy which makes mother tongue a compulsory medium of instruction for public primary school pupils.

The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, disclosed this today, Nov. 30, while briefing reporters on the outcome of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the State House, Abuja.

The minister revealed that the mother tongue will be used exclusively for the first six years of education, while it will be combined with English Language from Junior Secondary School.

He said even though the policy has officially taken effect, it can only be fully implemented when government develops instructional materials and qualified teachers are available.

Adamu explained that the mother tongue to be used in each
school will be the dominant language spoken by the community where it is located.

The minister said the government is prepared to preserve cultures and their peculiar idiosyncrasies, stressing that sobmuch has been lost due to the extinction of some local languages.

He assured Nigerians that all Nigerian languages are equalband will be treated as such.

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2022/11/fg-approves-mother-tongue-as-compulsory-language-of-instruction-in-primary-schools.html

74 Likes 8 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ElSudani: 10:56pm On Nov 30, 2022
If true, one of the best policies to ever come out of our educational system.

237 Likes 18 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by immortalcrown(m): 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2022
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, how a Yoruba kid in the North will be able to learn Yoruba language properly in the North.

ADDED:
For those claiming I didn't read the post, stop acting smart when you are highly ignorant. Because I pointed out the bigger problem, you claim I didn't see the smaller problem expressed in the post. Is this how your brain works? I read the post. I then pointed out where the major issue lies. As a matter of fact, a person's mother tongue is the language of the person's ancestors, not the language of a foreign region where the person was born and raised. The mother tongue of a Yoruba person born and raised in the North is Yoruba language, not Hausa language. The keyword in the meaning of "mother tongue" is "native". Is a child born by a Yoruba couple in the North a native of Hausa? Stop fooling yourselves.

You are the one who doesn't understand my comment. The post talks about the dominant language in the children's region of residence. I commented about the children's ancestral language, which is the biggest challenge in this regard. If you don't lack common sense, you would have known that what the government tackles here is not the actual problem. This is why the government always goes a million miles in misleading you before you realize you are misled. Have you ever seen a child of tribe A raised in tribe B and the child knows tribe A language more than he or she knows tribe B language? Even if you have seen a child like that, the case is very rare, it is less than 5%. Most of the tribe A children raised in tribe B even know tribe B language more than they know the tribe A language.

Almost every child grows to naturally understand the dominant language of his or her region of residence. Every Igbo kid raised in the North is even better in Hausa language than in Igbo language. Every Yoruba kid raised in the North is good in Hausa language, or even better in Hausa language than in Yoruba language. So, has the mother tongue of a place of residence ever been a serious problem for any kid? The serious challenge kids have is being fluent in the dominant language in their place of residence while knowing just little or nothing about the dominant language of their ancestral (native) tribe. The bigger problem I pointed is absolutely in line with the smaller problem expressed in this post. So, why are people replying me as if my comment is off-point or illogical? Tụfịakwa!

77 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Ofunaofu: 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2022
grin

He said even though the policy has officially taken effect, it can only be fully implemented when government develops instructional materials and qualified teachers are available.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ZKOSOSO(m): 11:10pm On Nov 30, 2022
That's not the meaning of Mother tonight. Hope that are trying to send Hausafulanikanuri teachers to the whole country o

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by FreeStuffsNG: 11:14pm On Nov 30, 2022
ElSudani:
I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 11:17pm On Nov 30, 2022
Aboki don come with rubbish policy grin

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by kumulus(m): 11:26pm On Nov 30, 2022
If true, might be the best news I've read yet on NL this year....

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by nony43(m): 2:44am On Dec 01, 2022
It is a very good policy , but then some pupils in some regions might have a struggle in learning English later.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Dshocker(m): 2:45am On Dec 01, 2022
Am from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), my problem now is; who will teach me Swahili language in school¿

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by NaijaCover(m): 2:47am On Dec 01, 2022
Following The Thread
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by southsouthking(m): 2:47am On Dec 01, 2022
What's the benefit of this?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 01, 2022
Huh?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!

Lol. What happens if I’m not Yoruba and we happen to live in Ile Ife and I have no desire for my child to learn Yoruba. Will the school teach my child in his own mother tongue too? The dominant language spoken in the community doesn’t make it my mother tongue

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Lumig: 2:51am On Dec 01, 2022
Nice one. A clap � for the FG for this laudable step.
Surely the negative-minded ones will still find a fault in this decision undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Alvin007: 2:56am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

Adamu explained that the mother tongue to be used in each
school will be the dominant language spoken by the community where it is located.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Peterobi90: 2:57am On Dec 01, 2022
Dumb policy honestly..... has he been to majority of public primary schools, do they look like English is even being practised there, its sad the little encouragement is about to be wiped off with a pronounced law..

How would the children now be enlightened to read for exposure and broad knowledge in a country with 250 different languages of very small groups to compete with their peers in private schools and international?

Would the secondary education now be an English language class for students in order not to be caught up with language barriers in the future?

Well... in a few years time, the retrogressed education would be obvious and the result would be evident.

Mother tongue is a family affair, community language is not mother tongue... the policy is baseless, divisive and even threatens Nigerian unity, its absurd a country seriously divided on religious lines wants to make it's already ethnic divided line very obvious

9 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Abujaexpress: 3:00am On Dec 01, 2022
NimrodEndOfDays:
Aboki don come with rubbish policy grin
grin
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by blaise26abj(m): 3:03am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. What happens if I’m not Yoruba and we happen to live in Ile Ife and I have no desire for my child to learn Yoruba. Will the school teach my child in his own mother tongue too? The dominant language spoken in the community doesn’t make it my mother tongue

Nothing bad in allowing your child to learn the predominant language of your host community . Most Igbo kids that grew up in the south west can speak Yoruba fluently .
It is actually a great move if well implemented . In terms of integration of the country and ability of students to understand better what they are taught .
I see it as a baby step towards removal of state of origin and having state of residence .

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nwakannaya1: 3:04am On Dec 01, 2022
When you instruct them with the mother tongue which isn't bad in itself, I hope they would be able to communicate with others from other geolocations in their own mother's tongue.

We already have Nigerian languages in schools but making them compulsory languages of instruction has the capacity of limiting the pupils in less developed country like ours.

Since he removed sex education from curriculum, I no longer take him serious. Self-confessed failure of a minister.

9 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by HITsquad: 3:05am On Dec 01, 2022
Long overdue...
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Cantonese: 3:08am On Dec 01, 2022
Imagine teaching English in your mother tongue.

Imagine teaching English in some mother tongues, wey I no go mention their names. What about mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics?

Imagine teaching law in the mother language.

Some languages must not dare, otherwise everywhere go scatter!

If you are not taught English, imagine how it would be at the markets, or in public places. Imagine how you go take toast woman for road. As you are speaking your own, she dey speak her own with hand sign to respond.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by arantess: 3:13am On Dec 01, 2022
Ofunaofu:
grin

Lol

The statement contradicts itself

It has taken effect buuuut no teachers and materials available grin

How then has it taken effect

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ElSudani: 3:14am On Dec 01, 2022
Peterobi90:
Dumb policy honestly..... has he been to majority of public primary schools, do they look like English is even being practised there, its sad the little encouragement is about to be wiped off with a pronounced law..

Do pupils in UK, USA, Germany, Canada, Japan, China or India start school by learning a foreign language first?
What is dumb is the idea of teaching our kids a foreign language before they can even start learning.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Cantonese: 3:15am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:

Do pupils in UK, USA, Germany, Canada, Japan, China or India start school by learning a foreign language first?
What is dumb is the idea of teaching our kids a foreign language before they can even start learning.

You don go there before?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Vello(m): 3:16am On Dec 01, 2022
nony43:
It is a very good policy , but then some pupils in some regions might have a struggle in learning English later.
who English help?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by ElSudani: 3:17am On Dec 01, 2022
Cantonese:

You don go there before?

Seven countries, I've been to four of them. Where have you been to?

9 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by nony43(m): 3:22am On Dec 01, 2022
Vello:
who English help?

Travel and see.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by eldoradoxx: 3:34am On Dec 01, 2022
ElSudani:
Policy without instructional materials and qualified teachers on ground?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BabaAgba79(m): 3:45am On Dec 01, 2022

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Gej's Alamajiri Model Schools - Pictures / Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade / January 18 School Resumption Date Stands - Ministry Of Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.